Mizzy MMC18 to JPX919 Tour?

FredWomble

I've had a set of MMC18 (5 and 6 FliHi, 7-P) since December. They've been very good for me. But, you know. Really like the look of the JPX 919 Tour short irons so am contemplating 7-P in JPX. Curious for any experiences of those who have owned/played both. Should also add I'm now committed to doing a proper fitting, and am open to trying whatever the data (and feel) suggests is right for me.

TIA

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

I've only hit them each once but I remember the mmc being much more forgiving. The tours are more forgiving than your average blade but only slightly and not that close to the mmc.

• Like 1

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

Per a review on another respected site, according to Mizuno, the difference in forgiveness between the Tour and MMC is very slight with the edge to MMC (and both slightly better than Apex CF16, AP3, and TM M4).

I’ve only briefly hit the MMC as neither the look nor aesthetic appeal to me. However, I have substantial time with 919 Tour, including Trackman data and outdoor with reasonable balls and through the set (ie, 6i - P). I was compelled enough to order a set to replace both 718 AP2 and CB/MB combo and they arrive Thursday.

Like any club in this class (or any club at all...), there is little practical difference between flushed and small misses, and increasing loss of performance as misses get bigger. Found the Tour holds its line well on bigger misses and the penalty is mostly launch and distance. In the mid-short irons you are considering, I’d say that portion of performance is a wash.

The turf interaction was better for me than either of my Titleist set-ups but I switched mostly for the change in flight parameters. I saw slight reductions in both launch (roughly 1.5 degrees) and spin (roughly 450 rpm) and the Tours actually had a degree more loft than my Titleist sets. The combination of those changes was useful for me in 6i and shorter. I also saw less variability in both launch and spin that led to a more consistent ball flight. My final demo/test was outdoor hitting into a moderate wind and the difference was somewhere between meaningful and substantial.

I went Tour in 6i-P and Forged in 5i as the 5 deg diff in loft and slightly higher speed face help preserve the yardage gap as I run out of swing speed for lower lofted clubs.

• Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Thanks, all. I know, stick with what works and get lessons (also a plan, I have about 5 hours worth of lessons paid for that I need to book with my instructor this summer!). As much as I love the MMC especially Fli Hi 5 and 6 and even through 8, the short irons esp PW get a little big. That said, one of the first rounds I played early this year, I stuck the 8 iron on an approach to about 15 inches. I'm considering carrying 5 and 6 Fli Hi and then 6-P JPX but to some of the points here I don't want to sacrifice too much forgiveness, understanding there's going to be some nonetheless. Whatever route I go, I'm mostly excited that I'm doing it smartly by getting fit. We'll see. Thanks again for the comments/input!

• Like 1

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"

Just bought a set of JPX 919 forged going from my very old T Zoid-pro irons. I am a 10 handi and carried a 2 for quite a while when I golfed more. I am hitting the ball good with the new irons but something just isn't right so I think I'm going to buy the JPX tours in 7-PW and might just do the very same thing and get a 5-6 in the MMC to have that extra oomf just in case. I should have bought the tours in the first place since I think they are probably better to feel your shots inside that 150 yrd range. Now the question is do I go with the DG 120 S300 or S400 shaft since I'm not getting any stronger and I've gamed the original S300's forever? Anyway I think putting the MMC in the bag next to the Tours would be a great combo since looking at their measurables seem to be very compatible with each other.

• Like 1

The MMCs are a fantastic iron. If your hitting them good, I say stick with them. I too am tempted by the 919 tours but the results with the MMCs have been too good to justify spending the $$$.

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

> @Dynamicwonder said:

> Just bought a set of JPX 919 forged going from my very old T Zoid-pro irons. I am a 10 handi and carried a 2 for quite a while when I golfed more. I am hitting the ball good with the new irons but something just isn't right so I think I'm going to buy the JPX tours in 7-PW and might just do the very same thing and get a 5-6 in the MMC to have that extra oomf just in case. I should have bought the tours in the first place since I think they are probably better to feel your shots inside that 150 yrd range. Now the question is do I go with the DG 120 S300 or S400 shaft since I'm not getting any stronger and I've gamed the original S300's forever? Anyway I think putting the MMC in the bag next to the Tours would be a great combo since looking at their measurables seem to be very compatible with each other.

I’ve demo the 919T with the stock S300 120, they definitely do feel half a step softer due to the lighter weight.

I have no problem swinging the original S300 130 in the wedges and short irons, but come the middle irons or never mind the long irons, it’s too laborsome.

I prefer the AMT but the 120 seems to be the modern weight nowadays.

> @Chuck905 said:

> > @Dynamicwonder said:

> > Just bought a set of JPX 919 forged going from my very old T Zoid-pro irons. I am a 10 handi and carried a 2 for quite a while when I golfed more. I am hitting the ball good with the new irons but something just isn't right so I think I'm going to buy the JPX tours in 7-PW and might just do the very same thing and get a 5-6 in the MMC to have that extra oomf just in case. I should have bought the tours in the first place since I think they are probably better to feel your shots inside that 150 yrd range. Now the question is do I go with the DG 120 S300 or S400 shaft since I'm not getting any stronger and I've gamed the original S300's forever? Anyway I think putting the MMC in the bag next to the Tours would be a great combo since looking at their measurables seem to be very compatible with each other.

>

> I’ve demo the 919T with the stock S300 120, they definitely do feel half a step softer due to the lighter weight.

>

> I have no problem swinging the original S300 130 in the wedges and short irons, but come the middle irons or never mind the long irons, it’s too laborsome.

>

> I prefer the AMT but the 120 seems to be the modern weight nowadays.

>

>

Thanks for the Info, Should I just go with the Dg 120 S400 or step up once in the S300? I will be putting Sensicore insert in which will add about 4g to the weight which would bring both shafts to 122g. Not sure IF TT recommends putting the Sensicore inserts in this particular shaft but They have not answered my question on that.

I have experience in soft and hard stepping in my current set.

My irons are soft step to encourage a higher ball flight and Mizuno irons are shorter than US standards.

In my driver and two iron, I hard step and further tip 1” to encourage a penetrating flight and low spin, works for me.

My 3 wood, I play a strong lofted 13.5* so I leave the shaft stock stiff.

The most important variable in my swing was actually shaft static weight. Too light, I would lose sweet spot contact. Too heavy, my swing became laborsome and lowered trajectory or spin.

You may find 120 gram doesn’t work or you could even get down to the 105 range?

I play 75 grams in the driver and 3 wood, 110 in the two iron, 115 in the 3-PW (lightest I can get away with it) and 130 in the SW and LW so I cannot get handsy or steer the clubs.

I recall hitting the S18 MMC at my Mizuno fitting a couple years ago when I landed in the JPX 900 Tour, so my comparison is more to the 900 than the 919, but should be close enough. from what I recall, the MMC short irons looked a little bigger than the 900 Tours. In terms of forgiveness, I recall it being a wash and coming down to a question of which of the two I liked better from a feel and aesthetics standpoint and the 900 Tour won out on that argument. Any additional forgiveness from the MMC over the 900 and for that matter the 919 Tour in the scoring clubs is going to be nearly unnoticeable. Either of the two sets was going to be replacing a set of Titleist 716 MB with C-Taper 120's. Having played the 900 Tour for the better part of the past two years, I don't find them to be all that much more forgiving than the Titleist MB aside from not penalizing distance as much on a slight miss. It's basically a difference of 5 yards vs 8 to 10 yards. That said, I had a re-fit this year and wound up back at Titleist for a set of AP2's with the goal of getting a little more forgiveness and getting into a club that has a little more weight feedback (900 Tours are Modus 105X and the incoming AP2 will have PX 6.5 soft stepped once). I like the 900 Tour a lot, but in my experience, if you're striking the MMC well, it's not worth the expense of switching mid-stream to the 919 Tour. You won't see much benefit aside from having a new set of irons in the bag. Now if you were in the boat of having to do something different with the clubs altogether like I was (i.e. heavier shafts and heavier swing weights), then it would be worth a look at the new sticks. Bottom line if the MMC ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 1

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

I'm going in for a fitting Monday with a fitter who a friend from work recently went to, and he ended up with Srixon Z585 irons. He walked in open minded with no real knowledge, certainly experience, with Srixon. Now I've done research and am intrigued. On looks at least I would favor the 785s, but my friend is a single digit handicap (I'm not, lol) so I figure maybe I should really think about this. Any experiences with/comparisons between MMC and Z585 or Z785 irons anyone can offer?

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"