Cleveland RTX-4 Raw colour?

dannykosdannykos Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

So looking at all the product shots on the various retailers websites - the colour looks distinctly 'gold'. Whereas, the original spy pics on Wrx were totally different? What colour are they actually?!

Comments

• NailedItNailedIt Members Posts: 64 ✭✭

They are definitely "bronze" color when new. I haven't personally seem them yet in there rusted form but definitely not the silver in your second pic.

• RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bronze. Your bottom pic is the slate/black finish.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • DrRemulakDrRemulak Members Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Yep, much more bronze than the picture above appears. Mine have become a more deep bronze color as I've used them as well. These things are ****

• BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are now the color of a tarnished copper penny. They start out a color similar to the old oil can, but rust wonderfully. Best wedge I've ever played.

• wam78wam78 Members Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭

@BCULAW great looking bag! Those wedges are looking pretty sweet.

Driver: Searching...
    Fairway: 816 Alpha 15* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 7.2
    Driving Iron: Mizuno MP H5 2i Fujikara Pro 2.0 85 Hybrid
    Irons: 4-pw Bridgestone Tour B X-CB Modus 120s
    Wedges: NCW Proto 50*, Scratch raw 54*, Scratch raw 58* Modus 125 Wedge
    Putter: Searching...

@BCULAW did your wedges rust like that on their own or did you do anything to speed the process? How long have you had them in play? I bet they feel wonderful too.

• SUITSSUITS Members Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks similar to the Ping Tour S rustique from years back

@NailedIt said:
    @BCULAW did your wedges rust like that on their own or did you do anything to speed the process? How long have you had them in play? I bet they feel wonderful too.

That photo is about a month old. They are darker now, with all three wedges taking on an orange/brown patina similar to a tarnished penny. I'll see if I can out an updated pic up. They are really fantastic wedges.

BTW, I didn't do anything to them. I love in Florida, and between the humidity and early morning see during the rounds I typically play, they have rusted quickly and thoroughly.

I like the look so much that I'm Thinking of sending my old MP64s to have the plating removed.

• hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭

My OCD, would never allow me to play a raw club. That rust would drive me nuts, especially next to a set of nice shiny irons.

Those look great. I never thought my OCD would allow me to play rusty wedges until I purchased a Vokey tour raw and now it's the only style of wedge I can play. There is a difference in feel in my opinion. I even tried an RTX in black finish and I thought it felt terrible. Thanks for the pics BCULAW.

• 59Mr.5959Mr.59 Members Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

The spy pic you have posted is what the wedges from the tour department look like when new...no finish just raw steel

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those rust up beautifully...wow. To me nothing looks better than a rusted wedge. And the feel of raw is way better.

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• dannykosdannykos Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

@59Mr.59 said:
    The spy pic you have posted is what the wedges from the tour department look like when new...no finish just raw steel

Bah - I love that look, but hate the bronze effect. So can I buy them like the spy pics anywhere?

So this pic of the range - none of them look like the spy pics... 😢

• cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,776 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 22, 2019 6:46pm #18

@dannykos said:

@59Mr.59 said:

Bah - I love that look, but hate the bronze effect. So can I buy them like the spy pics anywhere?

This is an easy fix. Buy the raw RTX4 wedges with the bronze hue. Also buy some CLR (very mild household cleaner you can buy at walmart/target/walgreens/dollar stores/or anywhere cleaning products are sold). Dump the CLR into a large cup (something the wedge can fit into without being squeezed in there. Put enough in to cover all of the wedge head. Stick the wedge head in and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Pull it out, rinse it off, and scrub it with something gentle like a wash cloth. That bronze finish should fall right off - you may not even have to scrub it. If it doesn't all come off on the first try then repeat the same process until it does. This will give you a silver color raw steel canvas to start from.

WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,776 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 22, 2019 6:52pm #19

After you use the CLR to remove that finish - save it. You can either use to clean around the house - or you can repeat these same steps anytime down the road when you want to remove some of the rust and start from silver again. You may need a scotch-brite pad to help get some of the rust off in that case, but this stuff will do that too. I always keep some stored with the rest of my golf supplies.

CLR won't harm the paint fill in your wedges or the ferrules. It is a very mild cleaner.

WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • kain23kain23 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

The bronze finish of mine came off surprisingly easy with a quick soak in white vinegar.

Great advice - thanks guys… will grab a couple and get stripping!

• RH82RH82 Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My bronze finish is coming of naturally after just 3 rounds.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero (9*)
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 11:48pm #23

@cvhookem63 said:
    After you use the CLR to remove that finish - save it. You can either use to clean around the house - or you can repeat these same steps anytime down the road when you want to remove some of the rust and start from silver again. You may need a scotch-brite pad to help get some of the rust off in that case, but this stuff will do that too. I always keep some stored with the rest of my golf supplies.

CLR won't harm the paint fill in your wedges or the ferrules. It is a very mild cleaner.

Or you can buy regular Coke. It takes the rust right off for me after letting them soak for a while. I’ve never tried CLR, but I know it’s good for rust. A bottle of Coke is easy because I don’t have to worry about chemicals if I spill CLR. Both are good options.

WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16* with Nventix Nunchuk
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Black Tie 95g S / 18.5* RBZ Stage 2 S300, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 5-PW Fly Z+ DGTI S400
    Wedges: 50*& 54* TM Milled Grind Standard Bounce, 58* Mid RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file