GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

michigan stay and play

captiancasual ·  
captiancasualcaptiancasual Members  7WRX Points: 50Posts: 7 Bunkers

my 3 friends and myself are thinking of going to Michigan next summer for a weekend of stay and play. We live in Ontario so we don't have to fly. I need some ideas on courses with packages.

Posted:

Comments

• ThunderBuzzworthThunderBuzzworth Hulk... Smash!! Members  2637WRX Points: 223Handicap: +3Posts: 2,637 Titanium Tees

Treetops, Garland, Manistee National, Boyne Highlands.. there are quite a few and in the Gaylord area there will be a lot

Posted:
    Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
    PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
    SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
    SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
    CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
    CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
    CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
    TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
    BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • captiancasualcaptiancasual Members  7WRX Points: 50Posts: 7 Bunkers

thanks for the lists very much appreciated

Posted:
  • T-MACT-MAC Members  2022WRX Points: 133Posts: 2,022 Platinum Tees

Always been a big fan of Treetops. Just love it up there in the summers. We play a bunch of golf and then rent canoes and go down the rivers fishing.
    Hard to beat.

Posted:
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3759WRX Points: 355Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,759 Titanium Tees

Boyne - most courses to choose from and probably the nicest resort
    Shanty Creek - a few really nice courses and multiple lodging options (condo/hotel/rental house)
    Treetops - quite a few nice courses but very basic lodging. Get the group golfer deal when it comes out via email and it's a total steal
    Grand Traverse - decent courses, nice lodging, good location near Traverse City for nightlife
    The loon - haven't played it but heard good things recently from a buddy

*keep in mind that there are tons of nice public courses near most of these resorts that you can use to add on additional rounds to your trip

Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • PuttLeftHitRightPuttLeftHitRight Members  2280WRX Points: 105Posts: 2,280 Platinum Tees

Gull Lake has stay and play I believe

Posted:
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11598WRX Points: 486Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,598 Titanium Tees

How far do you want to go? A lot of great golf in the Metro Detroit area close to home.

Just realized I'm responding to a very old post. Sorry!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MDG5161MDG5161 Members  15WRX Points: 33Handicap: 7Posts: 15 Bunkers

Have to look at Gull Lake. Great affordable prices and 6 courses to choose from including Stoatin Brae, a top 100 course. We have a group of 16 that go every year. For price and courses, you can’t do any better.

Posted:
  • scooter714scooter714 Members  11WRX Points: 23Handicap: 6Posts: 11 Bunkers

I agree that there are not that many great resorts. grand traverse is good with a few "good courses" and if you go there you need to play lochenheath. if you are only going for a weekend. i would go to drive to forest dunes on friday, play the loop friday afternoon. saturday AM play the other side of the loop and the original forest dunes course then drive to arcadia bluffs. wake up sunday am and play arcadia and go home. if you have an extra day i would play kingsley or the new course at arcadia. a forest dunes and arcadia combination are not the most convenient but will definitely give you the best golf from all of the options discussed above. good luck. i have played most of the courses in that area so feel free to reach out with questions. this has not been mentioned but i would stay away from tullymore and st ives, not great.

Posted:
  • crosscross Members  51WRX Points: 65Posts: 51 Bunkers

I second the Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes recommendations. For my money, they are the class of resorts in that area and don’t take a back seat to locations elsewhere in the country. The golf courses are all great, the lodging is nice and the clubhouse/food is great. They are premium and worth the extra money in my opinion. The only thing missing from a buddy trip perhaps is nightlife, but northern Michigan doesn’t have tons of that to start. If you are able to do both locations on the same trip, the drive is not much between the two.

Final recommendation is to play all the courses at each location before you start adding drives into the equation. It’s one thing to play a course on the drive up or back to break up the drive. But, once there, I don’t see a reason to leave either location until you’ve played everything. Save the drive time chasing other courses for hang out time or more golf onsite.

Posted:
  • soderwoellsoderwoell Members  96WRX Points: 46Handicap: 25Posts: 96 Fairways

I'll +1 the Forest Dunes/Arcadia Bluffs recommendation, unless you're going for longer than a long weekend. If you play Forest Dunes over two days, you can play the Loop both directions, which would be a blast. After a morning round there, it's an easy drive to the Bluffs, and there is NOTHING in Michigan better than finishing a late round in the summer on the Bluffs course when the bag piper starts playing around sunset. It's heaven. Finish around 9PM, grab a whisky, and sit in the Adirondack chairs watching the sun set over the lake. Again, heaven.

I've spent my summers in Arcadia since I was a kid, so I'm pretty biased.

Posted:
  • AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76 ClubWRX  1825WRX Points: 340Posts: 1,825 ClubWRX

Another vote for Forest Dunes and Arciadia Bluffs.

2 years ago We stayed in Interlochen, not to far south of Traverse City. It was a good middle point for lots of great golf. Air B'nB is the way to go in my opionion. Bahle Farms in Suttons bay as a warm up. Forest Dunes day 2 and Arcadia day 3.

This Summer we stayed in Gaylord. Day one we played the Tribute at Ostego resort as a warm up round. Day 2 we played Forest Dunes and The Loop in one day. Day 3 we did Tree Tops Premier and the Signature course.

Posted:

Driver-Taylormade Sim Max 10.5

3w-Callaway Mavrik

3h-Callaway Apex19

Irons-2020 Cobra Forged Tec 4-PW

Wedges-Cleveland RTX 4 Raw 50/54/60

Putter-Toulon Las Vegas H7

Advertisement
  • DeeBee30DeeBee30 Chicago areaMembers  533WRX Points: 170Handicap: 10.0Posts: 533 Golden Tee

I'll give a plug for Boyne Highlands. We do an annual trip there in July and always enjoy pretty good bang for our buck. We stay 3 nights on property and play all day Fri, Sat and Sun at the Hills, Ross, Heather & Moor courses, then we finish with Bay Harbor on Monday morning. Our trip coordinator does a great job getting us good rates (he's been doing it for 26 years), and this year was about $920 USD for golf, lodging, and dinner on 2 of the 3 nights.

Sure, I'm sentimental and a bit partial to where my group goes every year, but I can honestly say that I enjoy the courses (and the housing is adequate for what we need: shower, bed, patio, hot tub). Yes, Arcadia has MUCH nicer tracks and Treetops also has some cool courses, BUT each of those cost a good deal more than Boyne.

Posted:
  • amb43amb43 Members  5WRX Points: 46Posts: 5 Bunkers

Lochenheath is a great (somewhat) well-kept secret

Posted:
  • sabramsabram Members  1629WRX Points: 232Posts: 1,629 Platinum Tees

Here's a link to my photo tours of a dozen Northern Michigan Courses.

Forest Dunes is a good place to stay and play. Besides the original course you need to play both versions of the Loop.

Kingsley is private, but if you can get on, it is not to be missed.

I haven't played the new course at Arcadia but would like to. The first course there is very good with spectacular views if that matters to you.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Bay Harbor. It's expensive but is a very good course and beautiful.

Belvedere Country Club is an old school gem. Not a lot of frills, but great golf and reasonable green fees.

I was less impressed with Lochenheath than others.

Posted:
  • captiancasualcaptiancasual Members  7WRX Points: 50Posts: 7 Bunkers

thank you for the information

Posted:
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members  3759WRX Points: 355Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,759 Titanium Tees

Bay Harbor is affiliated with Boyne, so I feel like mentioning Boyne is also mentioning Bay Harbor. It's around a $70-100 upcharge on a Boyne stay and play.

Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck

Advertisement
  • CDMCDM Members  2096WRX Points: 304Posts: 2,096 Platinum Tees

Another Arcadia Bluffs / Forest Dunes recommendation. I actually preferred FD over Arcadia.

Posted:
  • tommgtommg Members  148WRX Points: 67Posts: 148 Fairways

Our group has been going to The Loon for at least 10 years now and always enjoy it. I would say it is not up to par with Boyne, Treetops, Garland etc. That being said it’s a great value. All 3 courses are fun and challenging, the condos are great and the bar/rest is fine. The best thing is that you don’t have to get in the car until you leave. This year (2020) 2 nights, 4 rounds with breakfast and dinner is $360us. Pretty tough to beat.

Posted:
  • chrisokeefe12chrisokeefe12 Holland, MIMembers  240WRX Points: 67Handicap: 12Posts: 240 Fairways

I stayed at Treetops and played and that was a great one. I have also stayed and played at Boyne Highlands and they have fantastic courses, but may be more expensive.

Posted:

Driver - Titleist TS3 w/ Fubuki 63 S
    4W - Sub 70 Pro 16.5º with Adila NXT shaft
    Irons - Sub 70 5i-7i 699 Pro and 8i-PW 639 CB with Nippon Modus 120g S
    Wedges - 54º SM4 and 60º Vokey TVD
    Putter - Compass Golf Co Custom blade
    Ball - ProV1

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.