Tommy Fleetwood straight arm drill

Smash Factors

Tommy talks about the "Straight arm drill" that was the key to improving his ball striking.

I've tried this type of drill before but didn't think much of it. Do I give it another go?

[

"https://instagram.com/p/Boz0aPFBSVQ/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again")

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

it's a 9 to 3 drill

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @stingerfade said:

> Same thing dan (Iteach) had a long thread about a few years ago. Great drill to fee connected and what a proper hinge feels like. The planemate seems to promote this same thing from what I can tell as mine isn’t arriving till January

Are you able to provide the link for that thread you’ve mentioned? I’ve done a search and haven’t been able to find the it at all unless I missed it during my searches.

> @stingerfade said:

> Same thing dan (Iteach) had a long thread about a few years ago. Great drill to fee connected and what a proper hinge feels like. The planemate seems to promote this same thing from what I can tell as mine isn’t arriving till January

Ok gotcha, I remember the video Iteach did on that now.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5cMht6OE"]I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.[/url]

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1496985379' post='15667418']
[quote name='mothman65' timestamp='1496984980' post='15667404']
Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?
[/quote]

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.
[/quote]

It's based on the ol' Mac O'Grady hit and hold. Your goals or desired feels depend on what you're working on, but the results are the same and it's a good drill for everyone to use:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLYPci791rU

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

I associate the 9 - 3 Drill most closely with Slicefixer - he's where I learned about it, and I know he used it extensively with his students. It does seem like iteach and Fleetwood are describing the same drill.

From my recollection, Slicefixer was pretty minimal in his description of precisely how the arms, wrists, etc. were supposed to be positioned in the drill outside of straight trailing arms at both the 9 and 3 positions. Other than that, he seemed to like letting people dig it out of the dirt. But, perhaps I mis-remember.

Regardless, I think it is a wonderful drill for pretty much any golfer, and I agree that it really helps to improve ball striking.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Slicefixer teaches the 9 to 3 a little differently than most teachers who often describe it as "L to L". Slice doesn't want you releasing the wrists to achieve the second L on the follow thru. He basically wants you to maintain an extended (bent back) right hand thru impact as well as a bent trail arm (if possible) depending on one's build/body type. Handle of the club follows your rotating core around, not DTL. It's a no-flip move designed to get you accustomed to squaring the club with your pivot rather than flipping it over with hands & wrists. In order to accomplish this effectively you have to meet other prerequisite conditions such as grip, set-up, and pivot motion. Similar to what Fleetwood is describing, I've seen him teach certain players to try to keep arms straight as described in the video.

The drill is great for learning how to compress the ball with what Slice calls a "leveraged impact". It's awesome for syncing up arm swing and pivot so they're working together, and really improves efficiency and strike compression. Once you "get it" and advance to full swings, the 9 to 3 pattern is ingrained into the full swing move so you achieve the "leveraged impact" but let it all go what will "feel like" after impact to a full finish with no hanging on required. Great drill!

• Like 1

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I have seen that interview with Fleetwood in full and seen other comments. He says keep the arms straight and do nothing actively with the wrists. He also says he feels the arms lag behind.

If you think telling people that as a drill is the same as the iteach one knock yourself out. Just hope the player has good wrist angles and doesn't suffer from the arms trailing the pivot.

I think Tommy probably had good wrist angles and a great pivot to start. The difference is one says set your wrists early and try keep the right arm straight. But the right arm must go forward as quick as possible.

I don't believe iteach or Monte like passive or lagging arms. I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong

That’s the whole point with the iteach drill is that you can’t lag your arms behind because they are connected to your pivot. It’s the actual whole point of the drill Is to teach correct arm and wrist feels and movement with your pivot so not really sure why you’re arguing that fact but have at it. Enjoy

I’m aware of what the iteach drill is, all I’m saying and it comes straight from fleetwoods mouth is he states

you don’t use your hands/wrists

you keep both arms straight

you use your body to rotate

your arms are a dead weight they feel like they drag behind

this is not the same drill. We can argue all day long and still you will think you are right and I know that I am right:-)

yup. here's what tommy has to say on the matter in an instagram post:@tommyfleetwood_1 words on his swing technicallyI square the club at impact by keeping my body turning. There's very little forearm rotation or flip, where the right hand rolls under the left. I see amateurs do that, and it's very hard to control ball flight if you're too active with your hands.Instead, keep your hands and arms passive, letting the club follow your body through impact. That means you gotta keep turning. I want my body rotation to stay ahead of my hands and club, as if they are being dragged. Do that, and you can swing down from the inside and square the clubface without forearm rotation. Even after I hit it, my forearms haven't turned much. This type of swing relies a lot less on timing. Even if you're off, your misses won't be as bad.A drill to get a feel for this is to take a 7-iron and hit shots that go only 100 yards. Do this simply by propelling the club with body rotation. Your arms stay long throughout the swing—like a windmill—but act like they're dead weight. This will help you feel how to square the club without trying to do it with your hands. Big-muscle swings are a lot easier to control.

• Like 1

This is EXACTLY what Slicefixer advocates and teaches. I think it's a great and reliable pattern, but it does have prerequisites. Your grip, particularly the lead hand, must be sufficiently strong enough so that the club will be square rather than open when you pivot aggressively with no stall. Your arms also must be synchronized with your pivot. If your arms overrun and you rotate like heck on the downswing trying to leave them behind, it's a disaster. Ideally, arm swing must stop in backswing when shoulder turn is complete, otherwise there's a huge timing element to get them back in front and reconnected. Fleetwood has a great swing!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

So funny because what you describe IS THE ITEACH DRILL. It’s really mind numbing this place sometimes. Hit em straight armed like Tommy (and Dan)

if you still think they’re different go try and not use your wrists with straight arms past hip level and just turn your body. You can’t. It’s impossible if you turn. It’s not actively using your hands and wrists just like Tommy himself said. Not sure why it’s so difficult to comprehend. Everything posting trying to show the differences only prove my point. I’m out

grip doesn't have to be sufficiently strong but i would agree it simplifies the drill. e.g. i use a neutral grip and have to add flexion in the lead/left wrist before beginning the downswing or everything goes right. it just took some getting used to for the 1/2 swing drill but it's not terribly awkward since i do it with the full swing anyway.

• Like 1

@stingerfade, sorry to see your frustration.
this is your main point:
That’s the whole point with the iteach drill is that you can’t lag your arms behind because they are connected to your pivot.here are some of fleetwood's comments on his drill, which is clearly different from the iteach drill:
I want my body rotation to stay ahead of my hands and club, as if they are being dragged.... Your arms stay long throughout the swing—like a windmill—but act like they're dead weight. This will help you feel how to square the club without trying to do it with your hands. Big-muscle swings are a lot easier to control. hopefully this clears it up for you.

certainly looks like the iteach drill

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified