Any love for the Cobra Speed Zone Driver?

shanka

I think there has been plenty of positive commentary on the Speed Zone drivers...

I went into a fitting biased towards the Extreme, but ended up getting the regular SZ with a Fuji Ventus Blue. I picked up about 2-3mph of ball speed on center strikes vs. my prior gamer (Epic w/ Atmos Blue), but the SZ was noticeably better on mishits (.03-.04 higher smash on balls off the toe). Similar result when I put the Ventus into the Epic head, so it was more a result of the head than the shaft.

Extreme is probably the most forgiving driver I’ve ever hit, just couldn’t keep the spin down. Averaged a little over 3000 vs. 2300 on the standard head, so was giving up a lot on distance to the point that mishits with the standard were going nearly as far as center strikes on the Extreme.

Have only played 3 rounds with it on a trip to FL, but courses in the northeast are hopefully opening soon. Honestly hard to judge on course performance because the wind was 20-30 all last week, but I feel like I had a better than average weekend off the tee which is encouraging for the first rounds since October.

You will find very few people who tell you that the Cobra SZ driver is a big step forward over the F9. The design is relatively unchanged. The SZ extreme is new and if that is a better fit then go for it. It is difficult for manufacturers to make large advancements in 12 months. Some will even tell you it takes 4 years to make significant gains over previous models. My guess is you will see very similar numbers between the the Cobra SZ and the F9. The decision between the two will come down to look, sound, feel, and cost....not performance.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

TXG did a great video comparing LTD to SZ. No difference. So my assumption is the F9 and SZ are pretty close too. So if you have the LTD or F9 stand pat....

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

... I would not have "upgraded" to the SZ from my F9 but did pick up the Xtreme because I might be able to take advantage of the added forgiveness. I won't know til I put it in play.So many forum members like to comment about how this years version of Club A is not really and improvement over last years Club B. Yes, the market calls for new clubs every year or every other year which is silly but a different topic, but most if not all OEMs do not expect anyone with last years club should update to this years club. Cobra is not saying the SZ is a better driver than the F9 and you should definitely upgrade. Like most OEM's they would advise their customers (that they want for like not just one cycle) if they are playing a F6, F7 or even F8 if it spun too much for your swing, that upgrading to the SZ might be a good idea if you get better performance.

... I say this too often on golf forums but members that think OEMs are targeting last years customers are just ignorant. Marketing is trying to reach those that have older clubs say 3 - 10 years old or older and are in the market for new ones THIS year. Many of those not on a golf forum don't follow yearly releases and if they decide this is the year they are gonna replace their drivers or irons, the OEMs need their best sales pitch to get their attention. But they are not targeting knowledgable forum members.

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I went from F9 to the SZ. Couldn't be happier with performance. I think the SZ is more forgiving than F9 and performance is just where I need it to be. It's money. I hit it better than the SIM and Mavrik. But that's just personal - you can't go wrong with the SZ. Both the white and yellow look great, too.

10.5˚ TaylorMade Stealth Plus

18° Titleist TSR2 5 Wood

21° Titleist TSR2 7 Wood

4-PW Titleist T100s Black

50˚ Titleist SM8 Black

54˚ Titleist SM8 Black

60˚ Titleist SM8 Black

Bettinardi Hive 8.0

Bridgestone Tour B-XS

I have about 6 rounds with my SZ so far. I had the F9 prior to the SZ. They are very similar drivers overall, and both are great. I prefer the look of the SZ over the F9, the sound on the F9 was alittle better, and the feel of both is very good. The dispersion maybe slightly better with the SZ but I changed shafts as well, so that could be a factor. I am happy that I upgraded, but the difference is a minor upgrade, not a major one. If money is an issue, then their may not be a better deal out there than the F9. If money is not an issue, then I would go with the SZ.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Best driver ever...

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 9,5°

GD Tour AD MT 7X Callaway GBB Epic 18°

Fuji Ventus Blue 100X TI Callaway Apex UW 21°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro

Just got back from my trip to the RTJ Trail where I but my new SZ to the test.

Last year I played a 9* F9 with a 14g -front, 10g-back setup at 44.5". I have the 9* SZ with a 16g-front, 8g-back setup. Same shaft I had in the F9.

From a looks/setup perspective the SZ is a big improvement over the F9. The infinity face looks much better at address. Acoustically, the SZ is a little bit livelier than the F9.

Performance wise, the SZ was fantastic. It was very consistent across the face. Conditions were very wet so it was all carry off the tee and I had the best spring driving trip ever.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• 2 months later...

I currently on both the F9 and the speed zone drive her. Last year I put the F9 in the bag with the hazardous smoke shaft in stiff. I was playing it in 10 1/2° turn down to 9 1/2° with the heavy weight in the front. In fact I increase the weight by a couple of grams in the front as well. It was the first time I was hitting the driver well in nearly 15 years and had compared it to nearly everything on the market when I bought it and it was the best performer.

Throughout the golf season my handicap ranges from approximately 8.0 to 5.0 and my swing speed is approximately 100 to 105 miles an hour. Over the winter I had no desire to try any new driver based on the performances of the F9. However there was a trade in event sale at Golftown and they were offering 50% off and I had a lot of older equipment gathering dust. I decided to demo all the new drivers including the G4 10+ an LST as well as the Maverick and the sim drivers. I did not find any of them perform any better than my F9 although one or two of them were more forgiving on Mishits.

For the heck of it I decided to try the speed zone and tried a 10.5 with the smoke yellow stiff shaft and weight in front. And wow! It was the only driver to perform as well or better than mine. One of the reasons why you won’t see on TXG the cobra outperform the older models is because you’re having a A tour level type player hitting these drivers and likely not straying far from the centre of the face. If you were somebody who consistently hits the middle then yes you will not really see much performance difference between the F9 and the speed zone driver.

My on course experience and the limited time I had on the simulator showed me two things that were different between the two models. If you notice these differences too it may influence which club would be worth owning. The F9 seem to have more of a draw bias to me and was one of the reason why I turned the loft down to 9.5. Additionally my misses off the toe and off the Top or bottom of the face were significantly penalized. Low hits spun up and lost a lot of distance and told hits put a nasty toe hook with significant loss of distance as well.

The speedzone driver on the other hand was unbelievable in that I had shots way off the toe that while they did hook some, they found the fairway and did not lose much distance which was a big difference from the F9. Additionally I noticed that the ball overall flew lower with more of a fade tendency as the standard ball flight and I am actually playing it at a 10.5° loft. It is a much for more forgiving club without sacrificing any of the performance I saw from last year‘s model.

In summary if you were looking for a draw biased to straight club with big distance and you tend to not stray from the center of the face save your money and go for the F9. But if you miss hit it a bit towards the toe high or low on the face and prefer a slight fade bias and a bit less spin then go for the new speed zone.

I have the SpeedZone Extreme. It replaced a PING G400 Max. I also got the 'tour length' version as I prefer a shorter shaft.

I love the sound of it. It looks great. It's very forgiving, though slightly less than the PING G400 Max...which was the most forgiving driver I have ever hit. My trajectory with the Tensei shaft is a bit lower than the G400 Max. I hit it about the same distance as the PING. For whatever reason I was jonseing for a new driver in March and this caught my eye. The Cobra demo day at my club was rained out, then COVID hit. I bought it sight unseen...which is never a good idea. I like it....but kinda wish I didn't sell the PING.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack'