2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

NXT Tour vs ProV1X

hurricanes7

that big a difference?
Im a 6 handicapper with 105 driver swing speed who cant really tell the difference between the NXT tour and the Prov1x. the only thing i notice is the NXT flies higher and longer and the Prov1x checks up quicker on the greens. anyone compare and contrast these balls and can give some insight would be appreciated. im trying to justify spending $45 instead of $28. thanks

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not the one to ask if you want me to justify going with the Pro V1x. I am a 2 handicap and have a similar swing speed (107). I prefer the NXT Tour to the Pro-V series. The NXT is certainly longer, but what I like most about it is it is straighter. My biggest problem is over working the ball so something that encourages spin (Pro V series) is not something I want. Yes Pro V1x will check up faster but to me it is an unpredictable spin around the greens. I find it too difficult to get the ball to run out the way you want it to. For me, the NXT will spin lots (stop and drop, but no spinning backwards, or off of greens for that matter), if you hit it pure.

It really all comes down to what you want for your game. Many people will disagree with my post, and will say the Pro V series is their savior, and it could be for them. I prefer the NXT Tour, even if it were at the same price. Of course, I can get balls through fellow Teaching pros for about $60 per 10 dozen, which makes a big difference. The TM Penta is an amazing ball as well. Sort of in between the Pro V's and the NXT Tour. It will spin a little less then the Pro V's but much more then the NXT Tour's.

The NXT Tour ball is more durable then the Pro V's as well. I can get 18 holes out of a NXT Tour ball. About 6 holes out of a Pro V1x or Pro V1. That's a big difference too if you are buying retail. The last thing you want is a dozen balls lasting you 4 rounds instead 12.

Hit 'em straight and hit 'em long.

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1289878663' post='2792480']
I am not the one to ask if you want me to justify going with the Pro V1x. I am a 2 handicap and have a similar swing speed (107). I prefer the NXT Tour to the Pro-V series. The NXT is certainly longer, but what I like most about it is it is straighter. My biggest problem is over working the ball so something that encourages spin (Pro V series) is not something I want. Yes Pro V1x will check up faster but to me it is an unpredictable spin around the greens. I find it too difficult to get the ball to run out the way you want it to. For me, the NXT will spin lots (stop and drop, but no spinning backwards, or off of greens for that matter), if you hit it pure.

It really all comes down to what you want for your game. Many people will disagree with my post, and will say the Pro V series is their savior, and it could be for them. I prefer the NXT Tour, even if it were at the same price. Of course, I can get balls through fellow Teaching pros for about $60 per 10 dozen, which makes a big difference. The TM Penta is an amazing ball as well. Sort of in between the Pro V's and the NXT Tour. It will spin a little less then the Pro V's but much more then the NXT Tour's.

The NXT Tour ball is more durable then the Pro V's as well. I can get 18 holes out of a NXT Tour ball. About 6 holes out of a Pro V1x or Pro V1. That's a big difference too if you are buying retail. The last thing you want is a dozen balls lasting you 4 rounds instead 12.

[/quote]

thanks for the info, i agree with what you said. I dont need to spin the ball back to play well, stop and drop works just fine. How much longer did you find the NXT to be with your driver and irons? I agree about the sidespin because i live with a draw and the Prov1x over draws sometimes, while the NXT just draws. excellent ball

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

I'm with you on the NXT Tours also. I love the ProV1X but will usually reserve that for when I am playing a course with very fast greens. On all other courses I play the NXT Tour. I get annoyed hitting a soft green and having the ball spin back leaving me a longer putt than I expected or off the green. The NXT Tour is pretty close to drop and stop for me. I usually am within +/- foot of where it lands. It is really a confidence booster for me. I can certainly understand why some people gravitate toward the ProV line. especially if you [i]need[/i] more spin. Around the greens the NXT's spin plenty for me. That may change when my spin milled are replaced with CC's but for now the NXT is perfect.

Jorge

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1289878663' post='2792480']

[/quote]
Could you elaborate on the short game characteristics of the NXT Tour in and around the greens? Does it spin enough to get the ball to check up on short pitches and chips? How is it from 50 yards; check and stop or run out 100 feet? Do you stop the ball more with trajectory than spin?

Overachieving Underachiever

Agreed. I switched to the NXT Tour last year and the only thing I miss about the ProV1 is the ability to stop the ball quick on short shots around the green. However, I will say that I have been hitting more greens with the NXT Tour thus eliminating some of those situations. The benefits greatly outweigh the loss in spin around the green.

I can honestly say I have no problem stopping the NXT Tours from any yardage. I still go for every flag from any distance and am able to get the ball to stop where I expect it to be. I really think it would be worth the investment for anyone who likes the V1x to buy a sleeve of the NXT Tours and try it. You will be very impressed.

You certainly won't get the NXT Tour to stop dead on any half shots like a Pro-V might. You will always get a little bit of roll. But what I like most about it around the greens is instead on bounces, checking and stopping like the Pro V does, it will bounce, check and roll out a few feet. You can certainly throw the club under the ball and get a lot of spin, but make so mistake it is not the Pro V around the greens. I gained over 10 yds on average off the tee this year with the NXT, and a few yds per club with the irons. I actually gained over 5 yds with the wedges due to less spin being put on the ball.

It all comes down to your game. If you are a great wedge player and can really slide under the ball with your wedges then yes you can hit a low 50 foot pitch and get it to stop rather quickly. You can also it a bump and run and have the ball roll for 20 feet. Really is a terrific golf ball for me.

If there was a Titleist ball in between the V1x and the NXT that would be ideal for me. I typically play the V1x because I love the spin characteristics on shots inside 50 yards, but the high spin rate does sometimes have a negative impact on my drives and longer shots. I hit the ball very high already and I tend to get occasional ballooning effect with the V1x. The NXT is longer and I have more control on longer shots with the lower spin and my high ball stops it on the green, but it isn't as versatile for me around the greens and it feels a little "hard" off the driver. Never have any issue playing a V1x through 18 holes. They tend to hold up fine for me.

[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1289951822' post='2793937']
If there was a Titleist ball in between the V1x and the NXT that would be ideal for me. I typically play the V1x because I love the spin characteristics on shots inside 50 yards, but the high spin rate does sometimes have a negative impact on my drives and longer shots. I hit the ball very high already and I tend to get occasional ballooning effect with the V1x. The NXT is longer and I have more control on longer shots with the lower spin and my high ball stops it on the green, but it isn't as versatile for me around the greens and it feels a little "hard" off the driver. Never have any issue playing a V1x through 18 holes. They tend to hold up fine for me.
[/quote]

Yes, it all depends on your swing. I hit the ball very hard, so after a few wedge shots with a Pro V1x, it is useless. The NXT Tour however will last much longer. Also, if you don't always make pure contact, the Pro V1x can last. For me, my long game is more important then my short game, as I tend to play very long golf courses. So the control into the green, is more important then the control around the green.

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1289873259' post='2792299']
Im a 6 handicapper with 105 driver swing speed who cant really tell the difference between the NXT tour and the Prov1x. the only thing i notice is the NXT flies higher and longer and the Prov1x checks up quicker on the greens. anyone compare and contrast these balls and can give some insight would be appreciated. im trying to justify spending $45 instead of $28. thanks
[/quote]

I have a lower index but a similar SS, with a fast tempo, and for as long as I can recall spin the ball lots. I played ProV1X for quite some time. However, for the last four years have played a different yet comparable ball. My 5 index buddy swears by NXT Tour, it gives him more distance and he likes it for putting. The biggest difference is IMO NXT spins more and has more run out. Choosing which all depends on how you impact the ball, trajectory and green side expectations. When it comes to price, I don't believe there's a practical justification since we're amateurs. You either see value or you don't. I swear by the ball I play.. it fits my game perfectly and costs just as much as ProV's.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1289952469' post='2793955']
[/quote]

I have a lower index but a similar SS, with a fast tempo, and for as long as I can recall spin the ball lots. I played ProV1X for quite some time. However, for the last four years have played a different yet comparable ball. My 5 index buddy swears by NXT Tour, it gives him more distance and he likes it for putting. The biggest difference is IMO NXT spins more and has more run out. Choosing which all depends on how you impact the ball, trajectory and green side expectations. When it comes to price, I don't believe there's a practical justification since we're amateurs. You either see value or you don't. I swear by the ball I play.. it fits my game perfectly and costs just as much as ProV's.
[/quote]

the issue i dont think i understand is the difference between the prov1x spinning more from short shots then NVT Tour. if you play the prov play it more at the flag and expect spin, if you play nxt play it short and let it run out- WHATS THE BIG DIFFERENCE? each shot requires some skill, why is it so important to play the ball that offers more spin. For me i would prefer to have it roll it a little and plan for that. Im not sure that the spin around the green for me, justifies playing a ball that is 15 yards shorter then another. If the NXT tour flies further ( anyone disagree?), and still spins pretty well whats the downside to that ball?

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1289955595' post='2794071']
[/quote]

[/quote]

the issue i dont think i understand is the difference between the prov1x spinning more from short shots then NVT Tour. if you play the prov play it more at the flag and expect spin, if you play nxt play it short and let it run out- WHATS THE BIG DIFFERENCE? each shot requires some skill, why is it so important to play the ball that offers more spin. For me i would prefer to have it roll it a little and plan for that. Im not sure that the spin around the green for me, justifies playing a ball that is 15 yards shorter then another. If the NXT tour flies further ( anyone disagree?), and still spins pretty well whats the downside to that ball?
[/quote]

I agree completely. Most amateur golfers feel that since the pros play the Pro V, they must play it. I spin the ball way too much. All I want to do is take away spin from my game. So the NXT tour is perfect for me. I also prefer to play bump and run shots around the green, because let's face it, they are easier and more reliable shots to play. I don't have Phil Mickelson like flop shots, so why play them when a simple bump and run will do the trick.

Like I said from the beginning, even if the NXT tour cost the same as the Pro V, I would take the NXT Tour straight up, no questions asked.

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1289957807' post='2794160']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree completely. Most amateur golfers feel that since the pros play the Pro V, they must play it. I spin the ball way too much. All I want to do is take away spin from my game. So the NXT tour is perfect for me. I also prefer to play bump and run shots around the green, because let's face it, they are easier and more reliable shots to play. I don't have Phil Mickelson like flop shots, so why play them when a simple bump and run will do the trick.

Like I said from the beginning, even if the NXT tour cost the same as the Pro V, I would take the NXT Tour straight up, no questions asked.
[/quote]

agree totally about the price, could not care less what they cost. If the NXT Tour cost $45 a dozen i would buy them also.
when a bad player puts a bad swing on a prov1x the results are probably awful. why would someone put themselves through that. the results on a bad swing would be much better with an nxt tour. plus, for most players the nxt tour goes further off the driver

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1289958750' post='2794186']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

agree totally about the price, could not care less what they cost. If the NXT Tour cost $45 a dozen i would buy them also.
when a bad player puts a bad swing on a prov1x the results are probably awful. why would someone put themselves through that. the results on a bad swing would be much better with an nxt tour. plus, for most players the nxt tour goes further off the driver
[/quote]

Can't argue with anything you are saying. Preached this to golfers, when I was a Club Pro, and a Pro with Nike. But golfers are some of the most stubborn people you will meet. They see the Pros using all the top spinny balls and they figure they need them too. Have you tried the Penta yet?

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1289959379' post='2794204']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can't argue with anything you are saying. Preached this to golfers, when I was a Club Pro, and a Pro with Nike. But golfers are some of the most stubborn people you will meet. They see the Pros using all the top spinny balls and they figure they need them too. Have you tried the Penta yet?
[/quote]

havent tried the penta, heard it spins big time. my buddy loves it. im wondering what balls by bridgestone/nike/taylor made are comparable to the NXT Tour? any clue?

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1289924969' post='2793118']
Agreed. I switched to the NXT Tour last year and the only thing I miss about the ProV1 is the ability to stop the ball quick on short shots around the green. However, I will say that I have been hitting more greens with the NXT Tour thus eliminating some of those situations. The benefits greatly outweigh the loss in spin around the green.
[/quote]

Spot on summary for my game too. The NXT Tour is long and straight. In fact, for my swing it is the longest ball I have hit. It goes a mile and a half. Combine that with decent spin into greens on full shots and you have a good ball. I usually play TM TP Red w/LDP but I also regularly mix in the NXT Tour as well. What you give up in greenside spin is more than compensated by long and straight.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1289959560' post='2794209']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

havent tried the penta, heard it spins big time. my buddy loves it. im wondering what balls by bridgestone/nike/taylor made are comparable to the NXT Tour? any clue?
[/quote]

Give the Penta a shot. It actually doesn't spin much until you get into the short irons, wedges. I absolutely love the feel of it around the greens. Feels like butter off the putter.

Bridgestone e6 is similar. Not as long but a straight ball.
Nike's One Tour D is a very good ball. I played with it most of the year. Still spins a little too much in my opinion, but very low ball flight is nice.
Taylor Made Red LDP is another terrific ball. Nearly impossible to find now, but if you can get your hands on it, I am sure you will love it.

None of these are as long as the NXT Tour though.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I find the TM Burner TP similar to the NXT Tour. BTW, the TM Burner TP is a real good ball too.

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1289959941' post='2794221']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Give the Penta a shot. It actually doesn't spin much until you get into the short irons, wedges. I absolutely love the feel of it around the greens. Feels like butter off the putter.

Bridgestone e6 is similar. Not as long but a straight ball.
Nike's One Tour D is a very good ball. I played with it most of the year. Still spins a little too much in my opinion, but very low ball flight is nice.
Taylor Made Red LDP is another terrific ball. Nearly impossible to find now, but if you can get your hands on it, I am sure you will love it.

None of these are as long as the NXT Tour though.
[/quote]

The reason you can't find the TM TP Red LDP is because I stockpiled over 20 dozen. LOL. I am still mad at TM for canning that one.

Yes, the NXT Tour is long.....real long.

i desperately need to switch ti nxt tours. i lose to many golf balls to play prov's....but i do. its a sickness

Mavrik 9* set -1 w/ Ventus Black 6tx

Mavrik SZ 15 w/ Rouge 80x tipped 1"

Miz H4 2 iron ctaper 130x

TM TP MB 06' PX 7.0 4-pw

TM Hi-Toe 52* c taper 130x

Miz T22 Raw 56* KBS 130x

Miz T22 Raw 60* KBS 130x

Odyssey Metal X Milled #1  34"

-Prov1x left dash

[quote name='beckk10' timestamp='1289960511' post='2794237']
i desperately need to switch ti nxt tours. i lose to many golf balls to play prov's....but i do. its a sickness
[/quote]

how much longer did you find the NXT to be over the PROv off the driver because i was hitting it 15 yards further and the irons were about 10 yards longer.
that matters big time. the 2nd question is the sidespin- my mistakes were much more playable with the NXT over the prov. combine the 2 of those and its a no brainer.
i hit a bunch of balls side by side and NXT was the clear winner

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1289952389' post='2793951']
[/quote]

Yes, it all depends on your swing. I hit the ball very hard, so after a few wedge shots with a Pro V1x, it is useless. The NXT Tour however will last much longer. Also, if you don't always make pure contact, the Pro V1x can last. For me, my long game is more important then my short game, as I tend to play very long golf courses. So the control into the green, is more important then the control around the green.
[/quote]

Strange. I'm a 7 hdcp and have a driver clubhead speed of 110-112. I hit it plenty hard too and have no durability issues with the V1x. I even have new irons......I can tell you that long game, statistically, is never going to be as important to me as short game. That's where all the shot are.....

Basically the same ball with a softer cover and core. It's easier to compress, thus more distance.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The added few extra yards NXT Tour might give me off a tee means nothing because I believe scoring comes from getting the ball close to pin on 2nd shots or when saving par getting it close to get up and down.

We all know ball control varies based up its characteristics and how it's impacted. Difference between the two balls is those of us that spin the ball can use that spin to control our ball behavior to a reliable degree around the green. When it comes to NXT tour we can't anticipate how it will react on various surfaces which makes controlling run is out too big of a variable, least IMO.

Take my buddy that plays NXT, he's loves the extra distance off tee's.. he doesn't spin the ball enough to concern himself with spin, so he tries to play the run out as best he can but can't anticipate or rely upon what the ball will actually do; hence he always plays to the middle of the green. That's fine on small flat greens, but big undulated greens he always faces 2 - 3 putts.

For instance difficult 330 yard Par 4... heavily undulated green where the back section of the green is 6' above the front, it's 20' deep and somewhat concave surface, 10.5/11 stimp. The only option is to land the ball on the upper front and rely upon spin to check and bounce forward and stop. NXT Tour landed in the same spot will have the ball bounce hard forward and off the back.

I also face an uphill 150yd Par 3 four-tier green; each tier is about 2-3' about the other with the back tier only 15-18' deep, where they place the pin on wkends. Landing the ball on a specific tier where the pin is the goal, however not always the result. Depending on the pin location landing it long means I can spin the ball back down a tier, landing it short I can stop the ball and count on 2 putt, maybe birdie. With NXT Tour those shot plans are not as trustworthy. Not to say they can't be made, just that that ball will bounce forward and not as likely to spin backward. Means the user has to look for targeting the middle of the green, and as a consequence faces 2-3 putts way more often then I will. I can go at the pin quadrant presuming I strike the ball well, and trust it will stop... I also know approximately how far my ball "will run" after checking if I plan a dead handed run out shot, it also allows me to pick the right shot plan and club.

As for short shots - lets say I miss the above Par 3 green, either land in a left green side bunker or a deep grass bunker right. I need to get up and down. In the bunker I can go right at the pin and trust spin will stop the ball... from grass bunkers we know grass gets between the club face and ball so there's less spin for all balls. Less spin means sure run out. That to me means I want as much spin as the ball will allow to stop it somewhere near the pin.

Last week on a 385yd Par 4, I had a 5 iron into a green and came up 10' short of the green front, on an uphill lie; thanks to poorly measured face breeze. Green is elongated and grain is running away from me with the pin in the middle back and two different undulations influencing ball run between my ball and the pin. My only option was to throw the ball up and at the pin to miss those undulations; I got it to 3' and saved par. I couldn't trust NXT with that type of shot; it too easily would have bounced forward past the pin and ran up onto the back rise... I would be facing bogie or... But, if that ball works for your style of game... that's fine too.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Pretty interesting comments regarding the NXT Tour. I find these once in a while and play it. It was ok but one thing about the NXT Tour is that it doesn't feel good off the putter. There is definitely a different sound and feel that comes off the putter. Other than that it's a good ball. Wasn't aware that it's longer than the Pro V's. Will have to put these two to a side by side test. With that said, there's a local college student that lives next to a country club and he gets lost Pro V1's by the dozens all the time and sells them for $1. Most look barely used. I think I'm his #1 customer. :D So no cost issues for me. :) Heck I bought about 60 last month.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1290007121' post='2794842']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Strange. I'm a 7 hdcp and have a driver clubhead speed of 110-112. I hit it plenty hard too and have no durability issues with the V1x. I even have new irons......I can tell you that long game, statistically, is never going to be as important to me as short game. That's where all the shot are.....
[/quote]

Short game is important forsure. But if I'm hitting 14 greens a round with the NXT Tour instead of 10 or 11 with the Pro V1x, then I don't care if its better around the green because I have those extra 3 or 4 birdie putts per round.

[quote name='simonv05' timestamp='1290019591' post='2795154']
[quote name='SolarAegis' timestamp='1290007121' post='2794842']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Short game is important forsure. But if I'm hitting 14 greens a round with the NXT Tour instead of 10 or 11 with the Pro V1x, then I don't care if its better around the green because I have those extra 3 or 4 birdie putts per round.
[/quote]

This is true!