Best way to clean a bucket of balls?

the4hornes ·  
the4hornesthe4hornes Members  430WRX Points: 72Handicap: 8.0Posts: 430 Greens
I've got a large bucket of balls that I practice with. They are starting to look very dingy. What is the easiest way to clean them without hand scrubbing each one? Bleach, dish washing powder, comet, etc..?
Posted:

Comments

• doubleBZeedoubleBZee Members  1635WRX Points: 56Posts: 1,635 Platinum Tees
    It they are caked in dirt just get scrubbing. I do it every few weeks. I have about 100 shag balls. Doesn't take too long to soak them on one bucket, quick wipe with towel and then toss in another bucket.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 9.5 - Speeder 757
    TM Burner TP 3 - BB 83
    Titleist 712 AP2 - S400
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • wntbtwwntbtw Members  323WRX Points: 0Posts: 323
    I have put them in the washing machine--seriously! No problems ever and they come out cleaner than they`ll ever be! If you don`t believe me, take them to a laundermat! You`ll be amazed!
    Posted:
  • skinny99skinny99 Skinny99 ClubWRX  1315WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,315
    wntbtw wrote:

I have put them in the washing machine--seriously! No problems ever and they come out cleaner than they`ll ever be! If you don`t believe me, take them to a laundermat! You`ll be amazed!

Isn't that noisy?
    Posted:
  • DrumdogDrumdog Members  389WRX Points: 0Posts: 389
    wntbtw wrote:

So that's why the laundromat I use to go to had such beat up washers !

Put the balls in a 5 gallon bucket with water and soap of your choice.

Stir with a big stick for a couple of minutes and thoroughly rinse.
    Posted:
  • storm319storm319 USMembers  4307WRX Points: 485Posts: 4,307 Titanium Tees
    Maybe find a local driving range that will let you use their ball washer. Other than that get scrubbing!
    Posted:
  • PhilsFanDrewPhilsFanDrew Members  540WRX Points: 0Posts: 540
    Soak in a hot bucket of water with a scoop of oxy clean for about 1/2 hour-1 hour. Thank take a cloth or old tshirt and pull them out and wipe off.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • gallier_golfgallier_golf Members  160WRX Points: 0Posts: 160
    I'm going to give the washing machine thing a shot. We live on a golf course and go out hunting balls every week or so. Then my son sells then in the back yard. This could be a real time saver.
    Posted:
  • deeviantdeeviant Members  490WRX Points: 60Posts: 490 Bunkers
    You guys keep up with the washing machine talk and we're going to be reading your obits in the paper. My wife would kill me if she caught me trying that!
    Posted:
  • silversurfer8189silversurfer8189 Shakira, Shakira Members  213WRX Points: 0Posts: 213
    storm319 wrote:

Maybe find a local driving range that will let you use their ball washer. Other than that get scrubbing!

This.
    Posted:
  • gallier_golfgallier_golf Members  160WRX Points: 0Posts: 160
    deeviant wrote:

You guys keep up with the washing machine talk and we're going to be reading your obits in the paper. My wife would kill me if she caught me trying that!

Funny, she's out of town right now.
    Posted:
  • mozgolfmozgolf Members  3954WRX Points: 2Posts: 3,954 Titanium Tees
    Washing machine is probably only good if you are single and living in a renter. It is not the road to marital bliss.

I can just imagine the racket and the inside of the machine looking like the dimples of a golf ball afterwards!!!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bpark1210bpark1210 Pacific Dunes #2 Members  1977WRX Points: 51Handicap: 8.6Posts: 1,977 Platinum Tees
    The course I work at uses "simple green" we can go through about 150,000 balls a day at full capacity. They balls run through a washer for less than 5 min and they come out brand spankin new everytime.
    Posted:
    TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
    Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
    TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
    Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
    Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
    Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
    Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
    Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
    Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
    Piretti Teramo CS
    Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
    WITB Link
  • Bad9Bad9 Members  4807WRX Points: 647Handicap: 9.2Posts: 4,807 Titanium Tees

I'm going to give the washing machine thing a shot. We live on a golf course and go out hunting balls every week or so. Then my son sells then in the back yard. This could be a real time saver.

Put a couple of olf towels or something in with them. Works great and eliminates much of the noise. Use cold water as well.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 5h/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping G400 6-U/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping Glide 2.0 ES 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • ArafelArafel Members  4281WRX Points: 165Posts: 4,281 Titanium Tees
    Take the bucket to the car wash and give them a good power washing.
    Posted:
  • glacialmoraineglacialmoraine Members  52WRX Points: 0Posts: 52
    I would think using a dishwasher would be the best way to do it. Get them squeaky clean. I could see putting them in a clothes washing machine doing some real damage during the spin cycle.
    Posted:
  • LennyTheLipLennyTheLip Members  180WRX Points: 0Posts: 180
    Put a small amount in a bucket with water, soap, and a little oxy clean. Then cover and shake. Rinse in a separate bucket, then air dry.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • station2stationstation2station Banned  6627WRX Points: 2Handicap: 4.5Posts: 6,627 Bunkers
    a hose...
    Posted:
    Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
    Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
    Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
    Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
    Vokey 50/54/60
    Odyssey Works Rossie
  • jefftomahawkjefftomahawk Members  1049WRX Points: 100Posts: 1,049 Platinum Tees
    My uncle is in the ball resale business, no bleach, it breaks down the covers, he uses a mix of hydrogen peroxide and Efferdent tablets, cleans without any harm to the covers
    Posted:
  • NorbooNorboo Members  2344WRX Points: 158Handicap: 12Posts: 2,344 Platinum Tees
    wntbtw wrote:

That is someone’s livelihood you will be missing up. What is wrong with you people?
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
    Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
    Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
    Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
    Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
    Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993
  • baseballfrk8998baseballfrk8998 Members  5714WRX Points: 138Posts: 5,714 Bunkers
    I've cleaned 1000's of balls that I've found in the woods or in ditches.. This is the easiest way:

Put the balls into a pillow case with 3-4 rags, zip tie the pillow case shut and wash them in the washing machine with a cup of bleach.. Works perfectly and is simple.
    Posted:
    8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
    14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
    19* SLDR Resuce // Speeder 9.3s
    RocketBladez Tour 4-PW // C-Taper
    52* & 58* Callaway MD2 // S-300
    Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
  • jabrchjabrch Members  3915WRX Points: 1Posts: 3,915 Bunkers
    Drumdog wrote:

wntbtw wrote:

Put the balls in a 5 gallon bucket with water and soap of your choice.

Stir with a big stick for a couple of minutes and thoroughly rinse.

That's what I do...warm water and dish soap. A little bleach wouldn't hurt - just be careful with your clothes.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 Tour 65
    Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
    Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
    Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
    Vokey 60 degree
    STX Putter

Advertisement
  • wntbtwwntbtw Members  323WRX Points: 0Posts: 323
    Norboo wrote:

wntbtw wrote:

That is someone’s livelihood you will be missing up. What is wrong with you people?

Haha! Have you ever tried it? I use my own washing machine and have never had a problem! I use the real 'short wash cycle' and they come out looking brand new! It is amazing. Yeah it does make a racket but doesn`t hurt the machine at all. I never wash more than 100 golf balls per load. And then let them sit in the machine for about an hour and they will be cleaner than you could imagine! I only suggested to the OP to try a laundromat if he was unsure. I have never had any problems with my own washing machine. A very simple process and works better than you could imagine! Try it!
    Posted:
  • mozgolfmozgolf Members  3954WRX Points: 2Posts: 3,954 Titanium Tees
    I give mine to the guard, sit down and pop a tinny and watch some golf. An hour latter they are all clean, like magic
    Posted:
  • miket_81miket_81 Members  1027WRX Points: 99Posts: 1,027 Platinum Tees
    Our course has a couple of those Wheel ball washers that you can fit 4 balls in.. spin it several times and they come out looking like new...

Similar to this.. has big crank on the other side..

classic%20blue4.gif

[url="http://shop.tjb-inc.com/standard-golf---the-classic-golf-ball-washer-p89.aspx"]http://shop.tjb-inc.com/standard-golf---the-classic-golf-ball-washer-p89.aspx[/url]
    Posted:
    Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
    http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ
  • wundejwundej ClubWRX  3816WRX Points: 149Posts: 3,816 ClubWRX
    bpark1210 wrote:

The course I work at uses "simple green" we can go through about 150,000 balls a day at full capacity. They balls run through a washer for less than 5 min and they come out brand spankin new everytime.

I bet the balls with marker on them come out with the marker bleeding (black sharpie fades into purple then to the white). Simple green is a bit overkill, a mild dish/car soap will do just fine unless you have a ball that was underground for a few years.
    Posted:
  • greglarson2greglarson2 Members  249WRX Points: 59Posts: 249 Fairways
    wntbtw wrote:

This is how we used to clean range balls at the golf course I used to work at. They had an old washing machine in the cart shed and we would throw a ton of them in there with a towel or two and they would come out clean.

Now I would never do this to my own washing machine, unless it was an old beat up one that I wasn't using anymore. Since we have a front loading washer now, I don't think that would work very well...and I don't think the wife would approve. black%20eye.gif
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • LoPan12LoPan12 Members  709WRX Points: 62Posts: 709 Bunkers
    Necro-Bump!

I too, need to not be killed by the wife, so not even considering the washing machine. I just got a few small moving boxes of balls from a guy for cheap, and he even offered to let me know everytime he accumulated 50-100 more. I haven't sorted through them, but he lives/plays on a nice private course, so I'm hoping for a good fraction of quality balls.

I'm going to try a large bin, with water and a general purpose power washer cleaner solution (cause I've got a jug of it...). I was thinking I would try submerging a small hose connected to my air compressor, with small holes drilled into it, and sparge the solution with air to agitate...

I wonder if that would be enough, or if I should I add a few handfuls of coarse sand to provide a small bit of abrasiveness...I'm sure I'll still get a portion that might need some hand scrubbing...but I hope this will work. I'll let you know how well it works I guess...
    Posted:
  • MarengoMarengo Members  904WRX Points: 87Posts: 904 Golden Tee
    mozgolf wrote:

I give mine to the guard, sit down and pop a tinny and watch some golf. An hour latter they are all clean, like magic

I know this is written in english but I have no idea what this means.
    Posted:
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members  6390WRX Points: 344Posts: 6,390 Titanium Tees
    Marengo wrote:

mozgolf wrote:

I know this is written in english but I have no idea what this means.

Loosely translated: He gives his to the guard, sits down, pops a tinny and watches some golf. An hour "latter" they are all clean. It's magical.

Hope that helps.

For the record, there is a golf course near me that has been washing range balls in the same washing machine for decades.
    Posted:

X________________________________
    Sign Here

Advertisement
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83 Members  15754WRX Points: 751Posts: 15,754 Titanium Tees
    Agree with the poster that said put them in a pillow case and some rags. It will take alway from the brunt of the balls.

I would have your son wash them after soaking them in some hot water with dish soap.
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik SZ *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
    Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
    Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
    Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
    Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
    protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
    #lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.