***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

1282930313234»

Comments

• biggreddbogeybiggreddbogey Members  5WRX Points: 43Posts: 5 Bunkers

Love the classic 2-ball, especially with the tour fill! Not to mention the Nike irons. Nice bag courcy75!

Posted:
    Titleist 909D Comp
    Cobra Speed LD FST
    Titleist 909H
    TItleist 690.CB 4-PW
    Clevland 588 Reg 56
    Scotty Cameron Newport by Titleist
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • OakRockHackerOakRockHacker Members  83WRX Points: 58Handicap: 14Posts: 83 Fairways

Agreed, 9 is a great sweet spot in my mind. Breaks down perfectly into three long clubs (for me, D, 5w, 3/4h), three middle clubs (for me - 5, 7, 9 or 6, 8, W), two short clubs (GW, LW) and a putter.

And I’ve probably said this before in this thread, but it’s worth repeating, half the fun of going minimalist is playing around with different set ups and figuring out which clubs you’re most comfortable/creative/versatile with, along with which gaps are easier/harder to manage

I think if you gave me my driver and putter and randomly picked 7 other clubs from my bag, I could get around just about any course without too much of a hassle.

Posted:
  • timbodtctimbodtc Members  56WRX Points: 75Handicap: 10Posts: 56 Bunkers

Been playing and messing with my set-up for a while now. 10 Club ( Driver,4 wood, 3 hybrid,5,7,9,50,54,60, and putter) Thought this was the set-up and good for longer courses as well. Last 2 rounds I switched it up and went with 9 since I had to carry an umbrella ( trying to save weight for walking). Went Driver, 5 wood,4,6,8,PW,54,60, and putter. Loved it even more. The key for me seemed to be the PW and 5 wood change up. Seemed so much more versatile with those 2 clubs. I think this will be the set-up for the summer. 9 is the number for me.

Posted:

Since this is the minimalist thread, Any minimalist ideas on carrying water? If this virus stays through summer its gonna be rough. All the courses around Dallas and FT Worth have the water fountains turned off and no water jugs. Already getting hot down here and walking in the Texas summer worrying about water is not an option. My solution so far is carry 2 bottles, one in the ball pocket and one clipped to the top of my bag to even the load. Also been trying to play courses where the parking lot is close to the turn so I can run run over for a refill before the back 9.

Posted:
  • ckayckay Members  4716WRX Points: 763Posts: 4,716 Titanium Tees

I’m surprised you’re not seeing any beverage carts out there.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical HertfordshireMembers  353WRX Points: 130Handicap: 18Posts: 353 Greens

What about a camelbak bag? Would probably throw off your ballance now that I think about it...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • animalgolfsanimalgolfs Members  2179WRX Points: 181Handicap: 1.8Posts: 2,179 Platinum Tees

I miss the whiskey barrel iced down apples. So I started putting apples in the fridge the night before. I wrap 2 of those in cool towels, carry in side pocket.

A cool apple works wonders in heat until I can refill after 9.

Posted:
    Ping Sunday Bag
    9 Clubs of Freedom

Never thought of that. Sounds like a great idea.

Posted:
  • biggreddbogeybiggreddbogey Members  5WRX Points: 43Posts: 5 Bunkers
    Posted:
    Titleist 909D Comp
    Cobra Speed LD FST
    Titleist 909H
    TItleist 690.CB 4-PW
    Clevland 588 Reg 56
    Scotty Cameron Newport by Titleist
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members  2012WRX Points: 1,047Posts: 2,012 Platinum Tees

Or park closest to the 10th if possible and pickup a refill from the car. Luckily I can do this on two of the courses I play most.

Posted:
  • Herm33Herm33 Members  486WRX Points: 79Posts: 486 Greens

In agreement on 9 club count being very effective for a lightweight carry option while still allowing you to cover pretty much all the gaps with some creativity needed.

For me, a big piece of the "decision" when I go 10 or less is what iron set I'm playing and what that set's PW loft is. Older sets with a 48-49 PW lend themselves fairly easily to a 4-6-8-PW and then either 52-58 or 54-58. Add driver putter and something FW or hybrid in the 19-20* loft range and good to go.

With more modern set with a 44-46* PW, maybe then I'll opt for 5-7-9 then 50GW-58Lob. Leaves some possible room then for something like 4W or 5W along with a 21-22* hybrid up top.

Either way, as long as I have something up top that can go 190-210 for long par 3's, long par 4's, and par 5's, as well as 3 clubs in the 46-58* range, I feel like I'm pretty well suited overall.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers  1657WRX Points: 198Handicap: 5....soon to be 6 I think Posts: 1,657 Platinum Tees

That's the problem with modern irons... The jacked up lofts, especially in the pw area. Numbers are on the iron but really there's no point anymore, should just have lofts. But you're right about the 5-7-9 combo with modern irons, fits better..... Or get some eye2s and have a 4-6-8-pw-sw combo! Sorted

Posted:
  • Finaus_UmbrellaFinaus_Umbrella Members  29WRX Points: 36Posts: 29 Bunkers

I play with 9 clubs that fortunately have more traditional lofts (at least the V6 irons do). I go:

11.5 Driver

19 Hybrid

27 5 Iron

35 7 Iron

43 9 Iron

50 GW

56 SW

64 LW (because I'm addicted to unnecessary flop shots)

Putter

I'm pretty terrible with a full bag or a half set, but at least I don't feel it in my back as much with the half set!

Posted:

Driving range superstar, golf course wannabe.

• golfkrzy10golfkrzy10 Members  184WRX Points: 132Posts: 184 Fairways

For me 10 clubs all the way....odds bag and evens bag, trackman gap fitting 15 yard gaps up top and 25 yard gaps on bottom. See signature for set-up, in the 1x a year I play all 14 they go together like a normal set-up.

Posted:

10 Club Modern Minimalist Set-Up (trackman gap fitting, 15 yard gaps up top, 25 yard gaps down low)

Srixon Black Sunday/ Stick bags (looking for the red one still!! PM if you want to sell!)

Srixon 565 9.5 (goes in both bags) and a Yeti full of bourbon & Ice (split/ combo set-up- forgiveness where I need it and playability where I want it)

Evens (even day): Titleist 915 F 15*- Titleist 818 H2 19*- Srixon u65 4-23*- Srixon 565 6-31*- Srixon 765 8-38*- Srixon 965 PW-46*

Cleveland RTX-3 Tour Raw 52, 60, Cleveland TA Milled 2

Odds (odd day): Titleist 915 F 13.5*- Titleist 818 H2 17*- Srixon u65 3-20*- Srixon 565 5-27*- Srixon 765 7-34*- Srixon 965 9-42*

Cleveland RTX-3 Tour Raw 50, 60, Cleveland TA Milled 2

Glove/ Ball: Srixon Red Z/ Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

• gvogelgvogel Members  8581WRX Points: 1,475Posts: 8,581 Titanium Tees

the next time I play, I'm going driver (10*), 4-wood, 7-wood, 6-iron, 8-iron, PW, SW, putter. And where I play, I probably don't need a SW because the sand is very firm, and a PW does just fine for sand shots.

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • chipachipa Florida/Caribbean Members  373WRX Points: 96Handicap: Dec. '20Posts: 373 Greens

I'm going the minimalist route mostly because I want to learn the discipline to change my swing speed/length frequently as I believe it will help curb my tendency to overswing. I play putter, LW, P, 8, 6, 4, 5W or 2 iron for now and will add a strong 3 wood or driver later when I have more playing time logged.

Posted:

Macgregor 9.5 - F-35 16.5 - Acer XV Tour 23, 26, 33, 41, 50, 55. - Bionik 105

Advertisement
  • Finaus_UmbrellaFinaus_Umbrella Members  29WRX Points: 36Posts: 29 Bunkers

I think that's a very sensible thing to do. One thing I'll say about this is when I first went to fewer clubs it took me a while to remember to take the longer club and swing easy as opposed to the shorter club and going for it. Just a tip!

Posted:

Driving range superstar, golf course wannabe.

• chipachipa Florida/Caribbean Members  373WRX Points: 96Handicap: Dec. '20Posts: 373 Greens

Good advice. My concept since deciding to go the minimalist route is when I am between clubs to only club up and swing easier or choke down. Years of frustration have gotten me to the point that I feel I now have the resolve to make this work. I have had my hc in the single digits from the back tees but have only shot a round in the 70's once or twice.

Posted:

• azgregazgreg Members  848WRX Points: 141Posts: 848 Golden Tee

I think I've finalized my minimalist/carry bag. D, 7w, 5i (1° strong), 6i (1° weak), 8i (1° strong), 9i (1 ° weak), 50°, 56°, P all in a TM Micro Lite 2.0 bag.

Posted:
    Driver: Adams Speedline 9088 UL 10.5°
    Fairways: TM V-Steel 4 & 7
    Irons: Maltby TE Forged 4-gw
    Wedges: Acer XB Satin 54° & 60°
    Putter: Tiger GW-3

• HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical HertfordshireMembers  353WRX Points: 130Handicap: 18Posts: 353 Greens

Got all the heads for my nike 9 set. Just need to find a local builder to help finish the work on them now (Hertfordshire, UK)

Posted:
  • rondre3000rondre3000 Members  367WRX Points: 102Posts: 367 Greens

In my minimalist (Sunday) bag set-up I typically roll w/ the following...

3w (or driver)

25* hybrid

7-PW

50* or 58* wedge

Putter

This set-up in a Mizuno BR-D2 w/ 5 balls, a few tees, some snacks and water weighs around 13-14lbs. For reference, my full bag (13 clubs) with all my other crap comes in closer to 25lbs.

-Ron.

Posted:

Advertisement

I just read an interesting article that Francia Ouimet won the US open with only 7 clubs. That makes me even more determined that I don't need a full set only a little bit of discipline to make it work. My current loft setup - 9.5, 16.5, 23, 26, 33, 41, 50, 55. I have a 4 and 5 iron but the 4 will be mostly for teeing off.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/how-many-golf-clubs-can-you-carry/

Posted:

• Deuce3Deuce3 Members  22WRX Points: 80Posts: 22 Bunkers

Played my first round as a minimalist golfer today. Loved the limited number of decisions and the creativity it required. Here was my 8-club set... Driver (9), 5 Wood (18), 5 Hybrid (25), 7 Iron (31) 9 Iron (39), GW (49), SW (59), and Putter. May reconsider adding a 3w, but have trouble seeing going back to a full bag now.

Posted:
  • minimal45minimal45 WisconsinMembers  1158WRX Points: 104Handicap: 18.7Posts: 1,158 Platinum Tees

I have been playing with 5 clubs for about 6 years now. Love every aspect of the minimalist game. My handicap is a bit higher but not by much and my scores are way more consistent than with a more conventional bag. I play 3h, 5h, 8i, Aw, putter currently but even I change out clubs periodically. My clubs are all really forgiving and I can get

about 200 yards off the tee with my 3hy which is plenty for the courses I normally play.

Posted:
    Minimalist
    Nike 3 Hybrid
    Adams 5 Iron
    Nike 8 Iron
    Nike AW
    Heavy Putter
  • mustangmustang Members  76WRX Points: 79Posts: 76 Fairways

Cobra F-9 #3-4 wood at 13 degrees

Maltby KE-4 Tour Hybrid 19 degrees

Maltby TS-2- #6 Iron

Maltby TS-1 #8 iron

Maltby TS-1- PW

Maltby TSW 54 Wedge

TP Mills- Anvil Series

Works really well!!

Posted:
  • Deuce3Deuce3 Members  22WRX Points: 80Posts: 22 Bunkers

Couldn't decide between Driver and 3w, so going to try a 3+ Wood (13.5 deg) for a little while.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.