Golf Sixes

toc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It golf meets "It's a Knock Out". Older Brits will know what I'm talking about. There's a link below for everybody else. The letters on the outfits show the country the contestant represents.

The European Tour have done some god things in recent years (co sanctioned events in the winter months, WGCs, marquee events in the Middle East etc.). However, I don't think this will do much for them. Complete garbage. At best it has the feel of a exhibition event. It's clearly aimed at attracting a new demographic of golf fans. Very phony with a lot of manufactured energy. id like to say can't see it lasting, but look at stuff like the NBA or the Super Bowl. Both are very popular, but rely heavily on the side show and television hype.

The European Tour have done some god things in recent years (co sanctioned events in the winter months, WGCs, marquee events in the Middle East etc.). However, I don't think this will do much for them. Complete garbage. At best it has the feel of a exhibition event. It's clearly aimed at attracting a new demographic of golf fans. Very phony with a lot of manufactured energy. id like to say can't see it lasting, but look at stuff like the NBA or the Super Bowl. Both are very popular, but rely heavily on the side show and television hype.

Seems a bit harsh on the athletes that compete in genuine sporting events such as these. Now if you had said WWE!!

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Soon we'll see players sporting logos for sugar cereals and Marvel superheroes.

Is it wrong that I still love these things?

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Soon we'll see players sporting logos for sugar cereals and Marvel superheroes.

Is it wrong that I still love these things?

Haha. The majority love these things. That's the point of marketing.

Nike driver that looks like a Christmas tree ornament
Wilson ProStaff 3 hybrid stock UST 
Tommy Armour V25's s300 4-P
Vokey 52 (old)
Acushnet Bullseye putter with Ping grip

It golf meets "It's a Knock Out". Older Brits will know what I'm talking about. There's a link below for everybody else. The letters on the outfits show the country the contestant represents.

With all due respect, I don't think as someone who is a golf fanatic (I assume, by the fact you post on WRX) you are the target demographic for this event. There was a huge effort put into attracting families and people who wouldn't normally attend pro golf events.

Having attended in person on one day and watched on tv another day, the event was much better in person. It was great to see all the kids having fun and the players interacting so much with the galleries.

The Euro tour tested a lot of ideas at this event, some will stick and some will disappear. As a complimentary event alongside regular tour events then I think they have an interesting product which could grow.

I remember the first season of Twenty20 cricket and how many people heavily criticised it for being gimmicky and a fad. It is now the most watched form of cricket in the world and has invigorated a slowly dying game.

Let's not judge the Golf 6's just yet.

PXG Gen 2 X MCA Diamana BF
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/ Hot Metal Combo 5-9
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

It was OK at best and I'm being generous. Difficult to take seriously with Vernon Kay as a presenter. Also, poor spectator support - course looked empty!

Form a marketing perspective I think microphones on the players and caddies would offer much entertainment.....

If the powers that be are serious about growing the game then they need to invest heavily with golf opportunities in schools. Introductions, free trials, mobile swing studios, notable people in the game attending and interacting with the kids etc.

Gave it a chance, but it didn't work for me. Despite all the positive comments from Pelley etc, I doubt we will see it again.

I can't see how sitting a kid in a grandstand with a sponge finger, watching largely second tier players is going to grow the game. That's not to say the players who participated weren't great. They really entered into the spirit and should be applauded for doing their bit.

The only way to grow the game is to get kids to play it, in some form. Maybe golf simulators hold the answer, with various formats of gameplay?

Just to echo what others have said in terms of the European Tour trying to innovate, fair play to them for that. Two issues for me, the weather wasn't brilliant on the Saturday which may have restricted crowd numbers. Also, the players from some nations weren't exactly household names, something to build on for future years possibly.

"Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!

Good things - team format probably worked better than the Zurich Classic because it was trying to win it for your country, not just random pros together. The shot clock, great concept and well worth trying out. Mic'ing up the golfers, and great personalities like Andy Sullivan make it fun to watch.

Bad things - trying its best in a part of the year where it struggles to get the best golfers but the field was lacking a bit, could have done with a Rory or Stenson there to really sell it.

The format is a bit strange and I'm not sure I'd rather watch that over the traditional forms of the game. I don't think people don't watch golf because strokeplay/matchplay are particularly boring types of golf or not. A 9-hole strokeplay would be better to watch if you don't want it to go on so long.

Please get rid of D-list celebrity commentators, nobody really wants to hear them.

Overall, pretty gimmicky and Sky's promotion of it was a bit nauseating. Some ideas worth picking up on though. I get that I'm a golf fan and preaching to the converted but I still preferred to watch Wells Fargo over it.

It's not for me but again as someone else said I am not the intended target. It's for families, kids, anyone that doesn't currently play/watch or take an interest in golf. If it means that it has got a handful of kids interested in the game it can only be a good thing.

I like that the European Tour are doing different things, and it is what they need to stand out a bit. I just don't want it starting to over taking current tournaments and changing them too much. Do more things in the off weeks, or the start of tournament weeks to attract the new audience.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

I think it was/is an interesting experiment. I was hoping for a "Mashed Potatoes" cheer-leading section, however, girls in tight team sweaters whipping the crowd into a slogan screaming frenzy.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Tournament format - good

Shot clock - good

Walk up music - I'm a fan so long as players get to choose their music (think baseball) and only on the first tee

Pyrotechnics - forced, skip these next time

"Fans" cheering - forced, but I feel like if you stuck this format in the US at the right point in the schedule you could get sort of the energy that this was looking to create naturally

I frickin' love it........and I'm a traditionalist. Go figure. Looks like the guys are having fun too. Kudos European PGA Tour!!!

I am very much a traditionalist myself and didn't like when they tried similar things at snooker over here in the UK but I really enjoyed this format with the golf.

My son, who doesn't usually watch much golf (unless they are called Rory) watched the two days of this and loved it.

He really liked the way there were so many matches on the go and there were outcomes all the time.

Normally you only get a winner on a Sunday and for those not into golf as much as people like myself it is probably more engaging.

They could maybe even tweak formats with bonus points for hitting inside a circle on the green or holing puts from distance or other crazy but fun things.

I wouldn't want all golf to be like this but if it can bring it to a newer audience then why not.

In my local area the junior summer league has had to be cancelled due to clubs not being able to field any teams. Junior golf is dying and in 20-30 years golf might struggle when the older ones die off.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

According to the european Tour, it had a one million euro prize fund.

Who was the sponsor?

You have to ask yourself who actually payed for this?

The European Tour paid for this, as well as they will have to pay for parts of the Rolex Tournaments. They want to pee with the big dogs, let's hope they get their leg up high enough.

The European Tour paid for this, as well as they will have to pay for parts of the Rolex Tournaments. They want to pee with the big dogs, let's hope they get their leg up high enough.

I'm amazed - the Rolex might work, could be worth it. But this? What a waste. Can't see Pelley giving up on it either with that downlay.