How to remove adapter from graphite shaft?

e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,053 ✭✭
So I've read a bunch of posts on this topic, but there's one thing I don't understand. How do you heat the tip with a torch enough to break the epoxy bond but not too much to melt the adapter? Aren't those things made of plastic?

Comments

• pt73pt73 Members Posts: 601 ✭✭
    Usually the only plastic is the ferrule so you'll just need to replace that.
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,211 ✭✭
    Adapters are made of aluminum not plastic.
    SLDR 460 8.5° - Rogue 60x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
    SC X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
  • MikeskiMikeski ClubWRX Posts: 299 ✭✭
    I use the ****, if removable, and a washer in the adapter end along with the shaft puller. I apply heat using a heat gun and not a torch.

Golfworks sells these to help. https://www.golfworks.com/oem-adaptor-saver-kit/p/GW0130/
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,197 ✭✭
    Mikeski wrote:

I use the ****, if removable, and a washer in the adapter end along with the shaft puller. I apply heat using a heat gun and not a torch.

Golfworks sells these to help. https://www.golfwork...r-kit/p/GW0130/

Negative on the heat gun. It puts MORE heat into the adapter and shaft than a torch. Use a torch and heat for 5 seconds and then pull off adapter.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    TEE Pro 21* hybrid (hook machine)
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • GTPLGTPL Banned Posts: 34
    Nessism wrote:

Mikeski wrote:

Golfworks sells these to help. [url="https://www.golfworks.com/oem-adaptor-saver-kit/p/GW0130/"]https://www.golfwork...r-kit/p/GW0130/[/url]

Negative on the heat gun. It puts MORE heat into the adapter and shaft than a torch. Use a torch and heat for 5 seconds and then pull off adapter.

This man knows. Heat gun and graphite shaft pulls do NOT mix.
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,197 ✭✭
    McGolf wrote:

Bad technique.

For one thing, the ferrule can stay in place when pulling the adapter. You can even save the ferrule for reuse if you wrap a wet cloth around it before heating. A **** in the bottom of the adapter should be used to pull off the adapter. That guy is pushing off the adapter from the ferrule side which is less desirable. Lastly, that guy is using way too much heat. Mind you he is using a mini torch so that changes things somewhat, but when pulling an adapter using a propane torch all it takes is 5 seconds of heat. And NO, I'm not kidding. 5 seconds. Chuck up the shaft/**** into the puller and tension a little. Fire up the torch and heat, counting to 5 or so, then set the torch down and crank the handle and off pops the adapter. If you use the wet cloth trick around the ferrule you want to wrap the cloth before heating of course, and make sure the cloth is fully saturated wet, dripping even. As soon as you get the adapter off scrape off any epoxy on the shaft and quickly grab the adapter with the cloth still on it and pull it off the adapter. It's easier to remove the adapter while it's still warm.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    TEE Pro 21* hybrid (hook machine)
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,179 ✭✭
    Nessism wrote:

McGolf wrote:

Bad technique.

For one thing, the ferrule can stay in place when pulling the adapter. You can even save the ferrule for reuse if you wrap a wet cloth around it before heating. A **** in the bottom of the adapter should be used to pull off the adapter. That guy is pushing off the adapter from the ferrule side which is less desirable. Lastly, that guy is using way too much heat. Mind you he is using a mini torch so that changes things somewhat, but when pulling an adapter using a propane torch all it takes is 5 seconds of heat. And NO, I'm not kidding. 5 seconds. Chuck up the shaft/**** into the puller and tension a little. Fire up the torch and heat, counting to 5 or so, then set the torch down and crank the handle and off pops the adapter. If you use the wet cloth trick around the ferrule you want to wrap the cloth before heating of course, and make sure the cloth is fully saturated wet, dripping even. As soon as you get the adapter off scrape off any epoxy on the shaft and quickly grab the adapter with the cloth still on it and pull it off the adapter. It's easier to remove the adapter while it's still warm.

I wouldn't use him to pull a shaft that I wanted to reuse.
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • wtswts Members Posts: 63
    So how would you pull a graphite shaft?
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,179 ✭✭
    I would pull it like just like Nessism described. If it was a Ping adapter which is all aluminum I would just pull it like a shaft from a head. I use a propane torch and have exclusively for 20yrs. Haven’t scorched a head
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • Payton1020Payton1020 Members Posts: 1,964 ✭✭
    I've pulled a bunch of adapters, always using a heat gun if I'm heating the adapter directly. If I pull them with the head still installed i will use a torch. Do remember this, let the adapter cool before handling, not necessarily to keep from burning yourself, but those anodized finishes will wipe right off when they're warm. Just my $.02.
    COBRA Fly Z, Fly Z+, LTD Black
    ADAMS Super S 15* & 18* Matrix HD Radix SVI
    CLEVELAND Gliderail 588 20.5* Kuro Kage 80IR
    CALLAWAY '14 Apex Forged 5-GW Recoil 680 F4

INNOVEX Type S GDT 50*, 54* Kuro Kage Black 80i
    ODYSSEY Tri-Ball SRT

OGIO Grom 14 way stand bag
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    Can I pull an adaptor (TM M2) from the graphite shaft WITHOUT a shaft puller? I don't care to save the ferrule, but do want to save both the adapter and shaft. Thanks in advance.

PS I've pulled many an iron head from shafts, so I'm familiar with how to heat the subject surface,
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    mocokid wrote:

Can I pull an adaptor (TM M2) from the graphite shaft WITHOUT a shaft puller? I don't care to save the ferrule, but do want to save both the adapter and shaft. Thanks in advance.

PS I've pulled many an iron head from shafts, so I'm familiar with how to heat the subject surface,

Anyone??
  • kmakkmak Members Posts: 137 ✭✭
    mocokid wrote:

mocokid wrote:

Anyone??

I don't know how. That's what shaft pullers were designed for. Maybe give this one for $30 a try?

https://www.golfworks.com/golfsmith-graphite-shaft-extractor-bar/p/gm1522/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjN7YBRCOARIsAFCb936nkQnSTHfpCw3NjPTJrck6-mkmZMwQGqiubTf7UXBxMgXF6qParO8aAmL9EALw_wcB
  • PoolpartyPoolparty Members Posts: 170
    mocokid wrote:

mocokid wrote:

Anyone??

I wouldn't try it. I do most of my own work but pulling adapters is only $5 at my local store.
    Stiff
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I use my ****-type shaft puller, just like I use it for pulling graphite shafts from a club. And a torch. Seems to work just fine.
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,893 ✭✭
    mocokid wrote:

mocokid wrote:

Anyone??

It's possible but a much higher risk to ruin the shaft than compared to using a puller.