Bag falls off cart and irons are scratched...Dang :-(

I got done with the round and was getting ready to put my bag in my car when I noticed my putter cover missing...I knew I had it at the 18th hole so I jumped back in the cart and started off toward the 18th green...well I must have loosened the strap and I am crusing along and SLAM! :cry: My bag falls off the cart and the following is the status of my irons:

Titleist ZM irons (3, 5,6,7,8) - are all scratched on the outside egde of the toe. The playing area of the iron is okay but they look like total crap...not to mention that they are only a couple of months old :angry:

Titleist BV wedges - both are scratched up bad along the toe but my LW is also scratched along the leading edge...this affects the playing area of the club :angry2:

Question??? - Has anyone done this and then had their irons repaired...if so who did it and what did they do exactly. I would think the ZM's could be sanded and buffed out. However, I am not sure what could be done to my LW...grind the edge to smooth it out. Who could do this type of work? I am at a lost here and would really like to have these irons repaired.

Thanks for any help you can provide :good:

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks man! Sorry to hear that!

It happened to me two years ago with brand new irons. I actually dragged my clubs for about 20 feet on an paved cart path before I realized what happened. I also leave the covers off of my driver and putter when I play and they got F'd up too.

I used some ultra fine sand paper to smooth the rough edges of the scrapes and gashes. And a sharpie for the driver crown. And I had to send my putter in to be re-finished.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much. :)

Here are a few pics of what happened to mine-

5-damage1.jpg

damage-beachcopy.jpg

the same thing just happened to me a month ago.....just put in my new vokey wedge and new srixon 701's that day and somehow the strap got loose and bang.....bag fell on the cartpath.....i also take the headcover off my driver so the crown was scratched and all my irons had stratches on the toe....i feel your pain and would also like to know how i can somehow get these repaired.......

Some of my more boneheaded friends think it's funny to loosen your strap on your golf bag after they've been playing and had a few beers. They thought it'd be funny to do it to me too back when I'd first gotten my last set of irons. So they did it and my bag fell off, scratching half of the new set and they all died laughing. I stopped the cart and took out the PW and smashed the windshield out of the cart behind me. I then pulled out the snow plow guide from my bag and smacked my cart partner across the chest as hard as I could. I then asked who did it and the one that did fessed up. I told him that he'd be replacing the heads on my irons, which he protested. So when we got back to his house, I went in and grabbed his brand new flat screen plasma (this is when they first came out and the prices were through the roof)and took it out to my vehicle and loaded it up. He wanted to know what was going on, so I told him that either I get the flat screen or he replaces my irons, and I was keeping the TV until he bought me new irons. Needless to say they were replaced that day, as he told me to load up and we'd go to the PGA Superstore. They had no more of the irons in stock, so I got to pick out a set of whatever I wanted cause it was on his dime. And I did.

I don't tolerate that crap, and they now know it(it's also the last time it's happened when we've played together). Yeah, if it's my fault, then it sucks but it's my fault. But, if they do something stupid, then of course I hold them responsible. I have done it before myself, where I forget something at the end of the round and forget to strap the bag back in. Fortunately, I've only scuffed one club, as I usually put the travel cover on at the end of the round.

get a carry-bag and walk...

sorry, couldn't help myself.

I do have a carry bag and walk often but the course I was playing on will not let you walk...again thanks for the tip but the damage is done and I need to get them repaired. :good:

[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff

at least this gives you an excuse to buy more new ones or try different clubs!

Exactly....just sell them and buy new ones. Its going to bother you way to much to see all that stuff scratched up. I would just get new stuff.

Believe me...I thought about that but I just got these sticks and I really like them alot...I would think someone could buff out the scracthes as the playability of the ZM irons is not an issue. I may though have to buy a new LW.

I posted here to see if anyone had ever had a iron buffed out because of scratches to the outside (non-playable) part of the iron? :good:

get a carry-bag and walk...

sorry, couldn't help myself.

I do have a carry bag and walk often but the course I was playing on will not let you walk...again thanks for the tip but the damage is done and I need to get them repaired. :good:

I feel your pain man, I really really do - not that my sympathy helps you at all :cry:

I always walk, and I would refuse to play a course, if they didn't allow me to walk - even if it was Augusta. Golf is originally for walkers and carry bags, all the US courses that don't allow walkers are money making non-golfers with no respect for the original game of golf and they disgust me :angry: ........ :aggressive:

I hope you somehow can afford a new set of clubs, because you will never be happy with the ones you have, even if they get a good repair job done to them.

This is coming from a Viking guy, who when sober, and I'm only sober half of the day, just kidding, suffers from mild OCD. I would hate it, if something like that happened to me - clubs are meant to be used, but not to look like crap :shout:

My Viking Samurai Forged sword is always polished and sharp and never ever dinged up, so I can cut some square lines in some clean flesh :butcher: .............. :derisive:

Personally it wouldn't bother me all that much - certainly not enough to start assaulting people, damaging the golf club's property and committing an affray, anyway - but I can see why you're a bit cheesed off in the circumstances.

In the case of your ZMs, any serious scratches will have no doubt gone right through the chrome and down to the underlying steel. Surface scratches can be beautified with some work with a buffing wheel, but deep scratches won't be something that's easily sorted out without resorting to fairly major action.

Depending upon the finish on your wedges, the same reasoning may apply. There's a lot you can do to an Oil Can/raw wedge, and in all honesty, you should be able to practically repair the damage to the eye with some sanding, but a chrome finish puts you in the same boat as with the irons. I'm not sure what can possibly happen to a wedge that would affect the playability of it simply by falling onto a hard surface, but if the scratches bother you that much I suppose it's irrelevant whether or not there's a tangible drop off in perfoprmance, since the psychological effect will be a negative.

If you post some quick pictures, it'll be easier to give some constructive advice and/or opinions as to possible remedies

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

I had this happen a few years ago on a Ritz Carlton course. The person that loaded my bag didn't secure the bag onto the cart properly so they ended up covering the cost of the refinishing and repair work on the clubs which was nice of them. I ended up using continental golf based in NC as I believe they do repair work for Taylormade clubs. They refinished my driver and it looked basically brand new. Below is their website.

http://www.continentalgolf.net/shop/index....Doc&docId=1

Hope that helps.

Ok, sounds like some of you really have some issues, especially the guy who took his friend's tv. Enjoy a joke, life is way too short. I assume you have trouble getting a regular game...lord knows I wouldn't step foot on a golf course with you.

As for the guy who started this, do you realize that you swing your clubs at 75-100MPH into dirt every time you play? Sometimes you use those some clubs to hit out of sand, and sometimes out of the woods, where anything could be lurking. You need to relax a bit. If it bothers you that much, grab a scotchbrite and a buff out some of the stratches.

Do any of you enjoy playing golf? What happens when you play desert golf? What about hitting a rock? Playing after rain and getting mud on your pants?

After a par 5 one day, I didn't put my head cover on my Burner driver. The next hole was a par 3. I teed off on the par 3, stepped on the gas pedal and heard a loud crash. Looked around and saw my bag on the cart path. Nice big road mark on the back of the head (not visible at address though). My irons? Not scratched due to head covers. One good thing of having head covers on the irons even if people thing they're not cool. Oh well, my irons still look new after 8 months of play.

Come to find out that a "buddy" of mine thought it would be funny to loosen my strap when I wasn't looking to get a reaction out of me. Paybacks are a b***h and he got his a few holes later.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

This happened to me and I was just sick. Brand new irons, and I always cover them, but for some reason that day I just stopped putting covers back on. As we drove over the only cement bridge on the course the strap lets go and dump/drag right there on the concrete. I wasn't driving the cart, so I was just dying, grrrrr. It seemed to take forever for the other guy to hit the brakes and stop the cart.

I also used to play in a work league that had a couple of huckleberries that thought it was funny to loosen your strap so they would fall out in the fairway.... They did it one day to a serious golfer and his new TM set. They dumped on the asphalt cart path and he went nuts.

I feel your pain, brother. However, going forward, I like the suggestion by Mfragiao to use a small bungie cord as a safety.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

Ok, sounds like some of you really have some issues, especially the guy who took his friend's tv. Enjoy a joke, life is way too short. I assume you have trouble getting a regular game...lord knows I wouldn't step foot on a golf course with you.

Do any of you enjoy playing golf? What happens when you play desert golf? What about hitting a rock? Playing after rain and getting mud on your pants?

As a matter of fact I do have a normal foursome. I play with them every week except when I have to work. When you undo someone's strap to intentionally make their bag fall off the cart to get a reaction, that's not funny. Golf is a gentleman's game, not a vandal's game. My sticks were brand new, that was my second round with them and there wasn't a scratch on them. I clean my clubs after every shot and scrub them after every round. If I happen to get a rock ding, or something of my own fault, then it's okay because I did it. But, to have someone do something intentionally that would cause damage to my clubs (which I paid a good deal for because of the shaft swap, grip swap, etc(before I got into doing my own work and repairs)) then yes, I do get very mad. And I expect them to repair them or replace them. He didn't want to (and he was a bit drunk) so I had to give him some incentive. Either he was going to pay to repair them or give me something of equal value. A joke is giving someone an exploding golf ball, or something like that. Not doing something to damage their equipment.

Try Pings, they are practically indestructable. Don't get me wrong, I love my equipment and clean it up regularly. But if I have to hit off a tree root or a rock, I don't worry about it. Man, that is some serious damage that was caused by the clubs falling off he cart. I have dumped mine once or twice over the years but never saw any damage like that ...

As a matter of fact I do have a normal foursome. I play with them every week except when I have to work. When you undo someone's strap to intentionally make their bag fall off the cart to get a reaction, that's not funny. Golf is a gentleman's game, not a vandal's game. My sticks were brand new, that was my second round with them and there wasn't a scratch on them. I clean my clubs after every shot and scrub them after every round. If I happen to get a rock ding, or something of my own fault, then it's okay because I did it. But, to have someone do something intentionally that would cause damage to my clubs (which I paid a good deal for because of the shaft swap, grip swap, etc(before I got into doing my own work and repairs)) then yes, I do get very mad. And I expect them to repair them or replace them. He didn't want to (and he was a bit drunk) so I had to give him some incentive. Either he was going to pay to repair them or give me something of equal value. A joke is giving someone an exploding golf ball, or something like that. Not doing something to damage their equipment.

Yeah...or you'll be forced to do Criminal Property Damage to the cart, Assault with your snow plow guide and Theft of a tv. :rolleyes:

Same thing happened to me about two years ago but my ping irons were fine, the kicker was my Brand New I believe G5 Ping driver didn't have the head cover on and was scratched terribly so on the next hole the kid who loosened the straps driver got snapped in half across a tree and his 3 wood scraped across the path..... I sold the driver and bought a new one as the psychological effect would've been a constant hindrance to my game. Good luck with your Irons though, I would think there is a company that refinishes damaged clubs.

As for the guy who started this, do you realize that you swing your clubs at 75-100MPH into dirt every time you play? Sometimes you use those some clubs to hit out of sand, and sometimes out of the woods, where anything could be lurking. You need to relax a bit. If it bothers you that much, grab a scotchbrite and a buff out some of the stratches.

Did someone pee in your Corn Flakes this morning?

For chromed clubs, I would say rechroming is the only way to get rid of the scratches completely. There are some outfits that can do it without weight loss; there are plenty of threads on that matter.

And anyone who would intentionally damage brand new irons of mine would have their testicles removed with rusty clippers, so thankfully that hasn't happened.

I'm glad I don't have friends like the OP. I'd likely do the same thing as the dude who took the plasma right off the wall.

reason I got an Ogio - they have a little rubber cart strap (straps to almost all carts) so this never happens.

Also helps when you have idiot friends - they get all disappointed when the bag doesn't fall and then get all confused.

+1 on the ogio strap. Just an awesome cart bag

I always walk, and I would refuse to play a course, if they didn't allow me to walk - even if it was Augusta. Golf is originally for walkers and carry bags, all the US courses that don't allow walkers are money making non-golfers with no respect for the original game of golf and they disgust me :angry: ........ :aggressive:

Get real. Rounds would be like 100 hours if all the hacks were walking around.

• 9 years later...

You guys need to try Bagbolt. This device uses interlocking straps combined with a clamp assembly to completely immobolize any bag on any cart. The straps prevent horizontal leaning, twisting and swinging with the clamp assembly compressing the bag into the cart well making it impossible to detach. You do not use the cart provided strap with the Bagbolt, that provides over 5 times the fastening strength over any other mechanism. You can get more information or order one risk free for less than $25 @ Bagbolt.com. Let me know how you like it... Fred