Tips for attending first tour event

AFcelica

I've never been to Bethpage for a tournament, but I played Black a couple of weeks after the last open there in 2009 and at the time I thought it would be a nightmare course to spectate at. A great little hole is the par 3 8th but it's literally the furthermost most point on the course from the clubhouse so expect a hike to get out there. If it were me, I'd stay on the clubhouse side of the road and find a spot on the hill behind the 17th green which should also give you a view of the 16th green and 15th tee shot (assuming there are no grandstands blocking the view)

If you're a golf fan don't waste your time following Tiger as there are way too many people following him. Unfortunately many of these people aren't even golf fans but more like celebrity watchers taking up space. You'll end up being frustrated and looking at backs of heads and no personal space.

To enjoy the day I recommend two things, find a spot to camp out for a while to watch groups come through. Also follow some guys that only golf fans know and your day will be much better.

> @helper_monkey said:

> I've never attended a tournament as big as the PGA before, but I have been to tournaments where Tiger played. Following him is almost impossible with the size of the crowds he brings. My best experience with seeing him up close was accomplished by getting a good spot right up against the ropes near a green several holes in front of him and then waiting for him to come through that hole. I was in front of the big crowd and was able to have an unobstructed view of his second shot into the green and then him playing the green. I then tried to follow him for a few holes, but getting more than a glimpse through the crowds was very difficult.

> My advice from other tournaments I have been to: 1) Get there early and go to the range for a bit. Watching the way these guys practice is really eye opening. (2) Find an early group that looks somewhat interesting and follow them for a few holes until you get to a spot where you feel like you want to stay and watch several groups play. (3) Stay at that spot until Tiger's group comes through and then try to walk with them for as long as you can stand the crowd.

^^^^ Solid advice.

I attended the 2010 US Open at Pebble Beach on Sunday. It is similar to Bethpage in one regard: the course goes out and comes back in a long loop. With that in mind what we did was:

Followed a group with a favorite player in the morning around the course, saving to memory good viewing spots. Then when the leaders tee off, you camp out in viewing spot one, wait for them to pass, and move on to the next. At Pebble for example, you can jump from 8 green to 13 green 14 tee, for example. Looking at the map, Bethpage 5 green to 12 green seems reasonable.

If you want a grandstand seat, you have to camp out early. They fill up. Often the top row of a grandstand can see many angles, I’m thinking where 9-10-11-12 come together at BP. Think about this during your morning course-walk.

Do hit the merch tent early, it clogs with the throng of people leaving.

Do find the little radio earpieces, they help you keep track of the rest of the golf course. They were sponsored by Amex in 2010. (Don’t know about PGA)

As was mentioned above, if you want to see any of the 18th hole stuff, that is a decision to be made 2-3 hours before the leaders get there. At pebble the entire place became a mob 20 deep. We gave up and left.

Enjoy your day at the event!

Get there early to walk the course and buy merch as soon as the tents open. I’m not sure why, but buying merch is a big deal to everyone in attendance. Feel the majesty of the layout as you get the privilege to stroll the back nine of a golf course eight hours before the leaders. Nobody ever mentions it, but did you know you can set your chair and possessions down anywhere and nobody will steal them? Enjoy the extremely cheap concessions (another thing nobody ever mentions), including pimento loaf sandos for 1.50. Don’t run, don’t bring a phone, and don’t disrespect the crown. Enjoy this special day experiencing life the way it was in simpler times.

> @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> Get there early to walk the course and buy merch as soon as the tents open. I’m not sure why, but buying merch is a big deal to everyone in attendance. Feel the majesty of the layout as you get the privilege to stroll the back nine of a golf course eight hours before the leaders. Nobody ever mentions it, but did you know you can set your chair and possessions down anywhere and nobody will steal them? Enjoy the extremely cheap concessions (another thing nobody ever mentions), including pimento loaf sandos for 1.50. Don’t run, don’t bring a phone, and don’t disrespect the crown. Enjoy this special day experiencing life the way it was in simpler times.

He’s going to the pga not the masters. There won’t be any cheap concessions or anything else. The masters makes up for cheap concessions in the merchandise shop. Every other event has no shame in absurd prices for everything.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> > Get there early to walk the course and buy merch as soon as the tents open. I’m not sure why, but buying merch is a big deal to everyone in attendance. Feel the majesty of the layout as you get the privilege to stroll the back nine of a golf course eight hours before the leaders. Nobody ever mentions it, but did you know you can set your chair and possessions down anywhere and nobody will steal them? Enjoy the extremely cheap concessions (another thing nobody ever mentions), including pimento loaf sandos for 1.50. Don’t run, don’t bring a phone, and don’t disrespect the crown. Enjoy this special day experiencing life the way it was in simpler times.

>

> He’s going to the pga not the masters. There won’t be any cheap concessions or anything else. The masters makes up for cheap concessions in the merchandise shop. Every other event has no shame in absurd prices for everything.

Masters? Who said anything about the masters?

> @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> > > Get there early to walk the course and buy merch as soon as the tents open. I’m not sure why, but buying merch is a big deal to everyone in attendance. Feel the majesty of the layout as you get the privilege to stroll the back nine of a golf course eight hours before the leaders. Nobody ever mentions it, but did you know you can set your chair and possessions down anywhere and nobody will steal them? Enjoy the extremely cheap concessions (another thing nobody ever mentions), including pimento loaf sandos for 1.50. Don’t run, don’t bring a phone, and don’t disrespect the crown. Enjoy this special day experiencing life the way it was in simpler times.

> >

> > He’s going to the pga not the masters. There won’t be any cheap concessions or anything else. The masters makes up for cheap concessions in the merchandise shop. Every other event has no shame in absurd prices for everything.

>

> Masters? Who said anything about the masters?

>

>

Because if you weren’t talking about the masters, which has reasonable concessions, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

> @BiggErn said:

> > Get there early to walk the course and buy merch as soon as the tents open. I’m not sure why, but buying merch is a big deal to everyone in attendance. Feel the majesty of the layout as you get the privilege to stroll the back nine of a golf course eight hours before the leaders. Nobody ever mentions it, but did you know you can set your chair and possessions down anywhere and nobody will steal them? Enjoy the extremely cheap concessions (another thing nobody ever mentions), including pimento loaf sandos for 1.50. Don’t run, don’t bring a phone, and don’t disrespect the crown. Enjoy this special day experiencing life the way it was in simpler times.

>

> He’s going to the pga not the masters. There won’t be any cheap concessions or anything else. The masters makes up for cheap concessions in the merchandise shop. Every other event has no shame in absurd prices for everything.

The Masters had cheap concessions for decades...well before the merchandise shop became a cash cow.

And, from what I see, prices for Masters merchandise are no higher than any other event...it's just that people go loco as you can only buy it onsite!

As for other tournaments, I personally would only attend as a volunteer...free food, free drink, free parking, free tickets. Yes, you pay a small fee...but you generally get a nice shirt/outerwear/hat that is worth more than the fee...and then you don't feel the need to buy additional stuff either.

> @johnseg said:

> Me personally, I go to see the course. I start at 18 walk it back to 1 and enjoy the sights.

^^^ I've also found walking the course backwards is a great way to see not only the course but this is also the best way to see a lot more golf too. Each year when I go to Torrey I do 2 laps of the course backwards, so I cover pretty much the whole course and see all the groups at least twice. It also works great for seeing the top players as they're coming to you, so you can get a great position before their crowds swarm you. Sometimes I'll then go along with group for a couple holes and then resume the circumnavigation.

> @BiggErn said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> > > > Get there early to walk the course and buy merch as soon as the tents open. I’m not sure why, but buying merch is a big deal to everyone in attendance. Feel the majesty of the layout as you get the privilege to stroll the back nine of a golf course eight hours before the leaders. Nobody ever mentions it, but did you know you can set your chair and possessions down anywhere and nobody will steal them? Enjoy the extremely cheap concessions (another thing nobody ever mentions), including pimento loaf sandos for 1.50. Don’t run, don’t bring a phone, and don’t disrespect the crown. Enjoy this special day experiencing life the way it was in simpler times.

> > >

> > > He’s going to the pga not the masters. There won’t be any cheap concessions or anything else. The masters makes up for cheap concessions in the merchandise shop. Every other event has no shame in absurd prices for everything.

> >

> > Masters? Who said anything about the masters?

> >

> >

>

> Because if you weren’t talking about the masters, which has reasonable concessions, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

What? That doesn’t seem right. OP, enjoy your magical tournament experience. Maybe have a customary Bethpage peach custard with sweet tea before you leave for the week.

Been to Valspar, The Players, Bay Hill and Disney back when they played there. Have learned quite a bit.

1. Stay both the night before and the night after you attend unless you live really close. Less stress knowing you are already "in town" for the event.

2. When you arrive wonder the course a bit. Scout out areas where you might want to sit. At Sawgrass we were there for two days. The first we spent almost the whole day at 17. We wondered a little and scouted. And found that the back of 11 was REALLY amazing. Seeing the players going for it in two and at times failing - just an incredible place to sit, relax with a beer and enjoy.

3. Be sure to try out the games. At Sawgrass I won a sleeve of Tour 330's in a fun chipping contest. At Valspar I got a free beer.

4. Follow some of the lessor known players. While a bazillion folks are trying to get a peak at Phil I was able to follow a couple of tour rookies and they were actually chatting with the crowd a bit. And when I made a comment about "nice shot" to one of them he smiled, said thanks and proceeded to go onto his tap in bird.

5. Find a fun par 3 to hang out for a bit. It is amazing to see them spin the ball from like 160. At Disney it was astounding how easy they made the 6th at The Mag look!

6. Finally, make some amazing memories and enjoy. You are there. Lots of others would love to be. Don't lose sight of that no matter how hot it might be, how expensive the food might be or how long the lines. All a matter of perspective OP.

ENJOY!!!!!

• Like 1

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I usually start at the end of the course and go backwards. Then you can follow interesting groups you choose. If you want a change, just hang back and wait. If you start from the beginning you are always chasing and running ahead. Also, practice rounds are WAY BETTER than competition if you just want to see guys hit shots. So much more relaxed and interactive. I went with my son and Rory saw us waiting to watch him tee off. Unprompted, he waved my son over to come under the ropes for a picture. Kopeka, Matsuama, and Scott were equally friendly, chatting and taking pictures during the round. Come competition, it's all serious and no interaction and no autographs for the kids. But the excitement of seeing the competition is also great if it is a close tournament. There is a palpable increase in excitement that slowly builds throughout the day that's fun to be a part of. I have great memories of witnessing early Tiger and David Duval victories in person on the final day, and it's great.

> @shanx said:

> Honestly, practice rounds are really the best way to watch these guys. They are much looser, interact with the gallery more. I followed Jack and Lee Trevino years ago when I went to a practice round at Baltrusol, they were yukking it up the whole day, Lee was taking bets from the gallery, Jack pulled a guy out of the crowd to try a putt that he missed to shut Lee up (the guy missed too).

This might be my favorite post in recent memory. Advice from a practice round, what, 40 years ago?

Fabulous work Sir.

• Like 1

The PGA Champ has had a pretty decent app lately - helps you stay updated. Also, if you have a tv provider with a streaming app (Dish has one for example) you can watch coverage as you're out there. WiFi is sometimes available if you're worried about data. Bring a cell phone external battery/charger! Between pics, app usage, social media if you're into that, etc. you will go through the battery quick.

> @BiggErn said:

>

It's funny that of the two things mentioned, cheap concessions and your possessions won't get stolen, you umbrage at the low concession prices. Let me tell you, it's New York. Your stuff will be gone in a New York minute. LOL

> @AFcelica said:

> Yall are the best! It's a Sunday round so we will have to wait and see who is teeing off when and all of that but I no longer feel overwhelmed with all of the possibilities and think we can make a pretty solid plan. Thanks again for all of the responses!

You're not the only one making plans. We saw the Barclays sitting in the same bleachers on a par 3. Saw many of the big names come through. At the BMW last year, about 50% of the fans were following Tiger. We got up close with BDC as he doesn't draw much of a crowd. He was the only one to make any sort of eye contact with the fans. The other golfers are in their zone and don't even acknowledge or give any notice to the fans. It's very difficult to get into the bleachers as they only let you in or out when there is a lull in the action so if you want to watch Tiger putt, you almost have to leapfrog the approach shot and get a good spot near the green. We saw Tiger come through at the BMW. It's a zoo surrounding Tiger. I prefer to get up close to "no name" guys and see what they do and how they act. Some guys are cool and some are jerks.

I'd think about taking public transportation. Maybe park at Secaucus Station at NJ Transit to Penn Station and hop on the LIRR.

Does anyone have any good spots to camp out at Bethpage? Been to many tournaments, but never at Bethpage. I'll be there on Thursday and was hoping to find a spot to hang out.

I prefer teeboxes, but if we could get a spot where we could easily go back and forth from a teebox to a green, even better. Going to have to scout one out that also has concessions and bathrooms nearby.

Going with my girlfriend, and she was with me last year for her first tournament, The National. It ended up being the hottest weekend of the summer and even I felt unbearably hot, so I was hoping to make this one a much better experience for us both.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback