MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

Comments

• 2moreTerpz2moreTerpz Members  156WRX Points: 266Posts: 156 Fairways

I've been watching an embarrassing amount of mark crossfield videos recently. They're entertaining. I also find it interesting how he and Dan have increased their club head speed, improved their launch angles, and picked up considerable distance over the past couple years.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • top.htop.h Members  572WRX Points: 240Posts: 572 Golden Tee

I'm headed to Mayakoba for my HM in March. Do i need to do anything special to set up tee times? It seems like its just part of the resort and the butler (??) will take care of scheduling.

Posted:
  • aiyyeraiyyer Members  1970WRX Points: 977Posts: 1,970 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
  • dsc123dsc123 Members  209WRX Points: 296Posts: 209 Fairways

I think I just asked the concierge at our resort to set it up. I pretty much had the course to myself, too. But I was getting there super early, before sunrise and waiting for them to open.

Posted:
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members  3052WRX Points: 396Posts: 3,052 Titanium Tees

Gorgeous

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 10.5* - PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - Diamana S+ 72x
    Callaway Epic Flash 20* - TBD
    Bridgestone J40 CB 4-PW - DG Tour Issue AMT X100
    Bridgestone J15 50.08 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Callaway MD4 54.10S - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58.12 - DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement
  • SullGolfSullGolf Members  9213WRX Points: 1,592Posts: 9,213 Titanium Tees

I stayed at Ko Olina for the aforementioned timeshare story. I played the course once and hit the range another few times. The course wasn't particularly memorable in my opinion, outside of the fact that you're playing golf in Hawaii, which is a major freaking memorable plus. The range and practice facility was nice. I lost a ball in a palm tree on the 10th hole.

Ko Olina was a good resort spot, particularly if you're bringing the kids. It has pools, beach, golf, spa, etc. I'm curious to hear what you think. I had a great time but it also felt weirdly artificial. Without having anything negative to say about it, I can say with certainty that I wont go back there again. Seems like there are plenty of other places in Hawaii that are more interesting, and plenty of other places on the east coast that are as good for the resort/kid experience.

I'm a complete negative nancy, so don't read too much in to that. I feel bad just writing the above. I had a blast. You'll have a blast. It's Hawaii. You'll be playing golf. When you post about it I'll be completely envious.

Posted:
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members  1884WRX Points: 598Posts: 1,884 Platinum Tees

Yeah we stayed at Aulani last year with the kid and we’re going back again with 2 kids now so everyone is excited.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods  13043WRX Points: 2,716Handicap: 7.2Posts: 13,043 Marshals

Watching the Champions Tour event my wife and I had our annual discussion about going back to Hawaii. But we always come back to the conclusion that given all of the different spots to explore in the Caribbean that its not worth the travel to us. I've been to Maui, the big island and Lanai and everything about the place is amazing. All the golf I've played there has been just A+. On Lanai there is - or at least was - a free 9 hole course that everyone could go play. Its a nothing course, its mowed a few times a month, its a dog track - but the whole town shows up to play and its just amazing. As Sully said, its Hawaii and you're playing golf in Hawaii - its hard to find fault. But I just find myself not being able to pull the trigger again.

Posted:
    SIM 12* - HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s / 4h Ventus S
    SIM 4i Ventus S  / 5i Steelfiber 95s
    M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / 58*
    Toulon Austin 35" / TM TP5x Pix
    Posted:

I saw this on Twitter and thought it was interesting. It purports to prove that angles don't really matter. I'm not sure I accept that, but its interesting. Based on a ton of pro and amateur data.

Note, the graphic is not a representation of the hole. The data is for pins with holes cut close to the edge. It's not necessarily over a bunker or with a green angled as drawn.

Posted:
  • vtnerfvtnerf Members  8308WRX Points: 186Posts: 8,308 Titanium Tees

What defines a "better angle"? Are backstops and green slopes taken into account? And like you said, protection up front or on the side, like water or a bunker?

And it doesn't take into account confidence in the shot...something that cannot be measured. The visual of it, the positivity stepping up to the shot. What it does show is that those guys are good, no matter! (And that center of fairway is always a good bet.)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods  13043WRX Points: 2,716Handicap: 7.2Posts: 13,043 Marshals

I just need to grab the putter and hit the ball.

Thus completes your Kent/Greg Complete Putting Solution for 2020.

Posted:
    M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s

I've been really impressed so far with how the Toulon with the Stroke Lab shaft feel. To be fair "so far" = one night putting indoors. I'm not willing to speak quantitatively as to whether these shafts actually work or not, just that it puts a really good roll on the ball. Definitely not the putter for you if you like a hard clicky feel on the greens though.

Posted:
    M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s

In this case, I think it just means being on the opposite side of the fairway from a tucked pin.

I'd be interested to see the array of scores, rather than an average. It might be that shooting a left pin from the right side leads to more aggressive play, a lower GIR, with more birdies and more bogies. I'm not sure that playing the averages is always the best strategy.

It may also be that some courses reward angles more than others.

I think Lou has some association with the sandtrap/golf evolution guys, who advocate shooting for the center of the green unless you're really close. https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/72445-stop-aiming-at-the-flag/

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Sterling_247Sterling_247 Northern VirginiaMembers  453WRX Points: 528Handicap: unkPosts: 453 Greens

I'm about half-way through the Erik Lang video log for Scotland and some of these drone shots are absolutely amazing. Meanwhile it's 30* outside

Posted:
    Cobra F9 9*
    Cobra F9 14.5*
    Titleist 818 H2 21*
    Titleist 818 H2 23*
    TM TP MC '11 5-PW
    TM Hi-Toe 50* + 54*
    TM Milled Bronze 58*
    Scotty Select Newport 2

• SullGolfSullGolf Members  9213WRX Points: 1,592Posts: 9,213 Titanium Tees

That is interesting. Assuming the numbers are calculated accurately, it's hard to argue with them.

I suspect the counter argument will be that angles don't matter on the courses the PGA Tour plays. If the ball isn't bouncing and rolling, you can attack the pin from almost any angle. The President's Cup was one of the few events I've watched where it was apparent that the angle and shot shape did matter. The US Open can feel like that at the right course and in the right conditions (Chambers Bay comes to mind).

Posted:
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83 Members  15754WRX Points: 751Posts: 15,754 Titanium Tees

I love Kent

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik SZ *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
    Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
    Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
    Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
    Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
    protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
    #lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I was thinking the same thing. But then I found this post from last year. https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/99024-sweetens-cove-5-strategy-width-angles-and-laying-up/?do=findComment&comment=1414628 🤷‍♂️

Also, on twitter, someone suggested that its just because the PGA Tour pros are so good, while it still matters for the rest of us. The guy replied that the data includes millions of amateur shots from the Decade database.

It still doesn't take into account bunkering or all the other things @vtnerf mentioned.

Posted:

Advertisement

go to the "feed". scroll down to the bryson interview. i don't think i'd like to hang around him in real life but i find him super entertaining

Posted:
  • FAbbFAbb Members  16552WRX Points: 1,928Posts: 16,552 Titanium Tees

They really nailed the rough density calculation on that approach.

He's a trip.

Posted:

you know what would actually improve my life? if the european tour started having their own version of shot tracker. not starts for me to follow for several hours. i guess it's not feasible for them because so many places they go they wouldn't have a pool of qualified volunteers

Posted:

Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.