Was the Callaway Rogue iron line a bust?

miles2go

Or maybe just an interesting marketing experiment by Callaway to test whether PXG’s market strategy was valid?

Not commenting on the drivers or woods since I have never hit them. I have demoed the Rogue regular and Pro versions of the irons. It was my experience that the premium priced Rogue regular irons were very similar in performance to the regular XHot and CFS lines, which both seem like really decent GI irons. Either can be had for a significant discount to the Rogue.

The Rogue Pro is puzzling in that it seems to fall between the Apex Pro and the Apex Regular (CFS?) but does not have a premium “feel” or any discernible performance advantage (for me). I actually preferred the XHot pros over the Rogue Pros.

I don’t own any Callaway irons at the moment but have owned lots of them over the years and I am a bit of a Callaway fanboy. Just interested in WRX community thoughts on the Rogue iron line.  

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t really say If they were a bust or not but I do think us WRX’ers kind of live in a bubble as to what we play and buy. I doubt anyone on here had any interest in the Rogue line making it seem like a bust but I can also say that I play with a couple older guys that game the irons and love them. The majority of the guys I see at the course play older stuff or game improvement stuff and have no idea what a high end shaft looks or feels like. I do agree though that the Rogue Pro line seems to have some overlap.

I'll preface this by saying I went from 2006 big berthas to rogues 2 months ago. But I freaking love them. Obviously the new tech helps, but I demoed srixon, taylormade and cobra irons and for me the rogue were most consistent on any miss hit, had highest ball speeds/best distances, and just felt the best. I know the lofts are about 3 degrees stronger per club from my bb's, but I hit the rogue about 15ft higher and still gained 12yds on average per club. It's exactly what I was looking for.

I wouldn't call them "premium priced", especially with all the $1200 + iron sets out there now.

I think the Rogue irons were a victim of Callaway's marketing and release schedule. With the Steelhead XR released right before and the Apex 19s released shortly after, there was just not a lot of time to market them. They are actually a very under rated iron that can be found really cheap now.

The full Rogue line didn't make it a full two years in availability. I hit the Rogue Pro, Rogue and Rogue X at the 2018 St. Louis Golf Expo in February.

By summer 2019, the Rogue Pro was in "what's left" backorder. General production had stopped, and what was in supply chain was all that was available.

Callaway and local golf shops said the Rogue and Rogue X were still available. Then, the two disappeared about New Year's day from the main Callaway website.

The Rogue and Rogue Pro models flew well at the 2018 expo and one outdoor demo day. I would probably have gone with the Pros shafted with Recoil 95 F3 (regular) flex. A Callaway rep said I might want to get a 4i and 5i in the standard Rogue head for better launch.

The Rogue X never impressed me. It felt strange at impact. A few months later I went to a local golf shop "launch monitor" party, and the shop owner had some Rogue X irons he got on trade-in. Three of us compared our irons (X20 Tours for me) with the Rogue X matching irons, and the Rogue X had a major dispersion problem for all of us, compared to our own irons.

In 2017, Callaway did a "quick time" with the Steelhead XR and Steelhead Pros. It seems it got phased out after about nine months. I was thinking at Christmas that year of getting the Steelhead Pros, but it turned out they were no longer available for fitted orders - just what was left in supply chain.

I worry Callaway is creeping back into the arms race of 2011-12 with TaylorMade - new models popping out all over.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I think it is pretty hit or miss with these yearly GI/SGI iron offerings that TaylorMade and Callaway release with their woods/driver branding. For example, it seemed that the XR iron line did really well for Callaway a few years ago, and of course, Rocketbladz was a hit for TaylorMade. However, I don't believe these clubs were anything different compared to the models that followed or precedent. Their popularity seem based on how well the wood release did, which is why TM and Callaway brand these irons with their drivers in the first place.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

what @Muffy above said, Epic & Epic Pro were the no holds barred swing for the fences Tech monsters, was lucky enough to hit a Pro demo 7 iron with PZ LZ when the first released Epic line a few years back, awesome club.

i personally love XR Pro, dont like Rogue Pro and am quite impressed with Mav Pro, if you Google Rogue Pro images the black out option looks very CF16 Apex looking (if you squint hard enough).

Rogue Pro flew under that radar for what it was. I played them for over a year and really enjoyed them. The size was pretty great and the performance was also great for me.

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

I was playing the original Apex irons and really liked them. However, after getting a little older with tendinitis being problematic, I thought it was time to try graphite shafts. I went with the Rogue Pro and they have been great for me, no regrets. Although, the TM P790 which came out at the same time has remained in the forefront with some changes, while Callaway moved on from the Rogue completely.

there are 2 lines from Callaway at once. The Maverik is taking the Rogues place. Once that rollout is done/ product cycle, then the new Main line / Epic line will be released.

i can’t really follow callaway’s Logic except maybe 2 diff demographics.

next year maverik will be replaced by Avenger! Or Assassin or Speedy Gonzales... who knows

I must admit that I cannot recall ever seeing them out in the wild. As a good WRX’r I tend to look at other guys bags to see what they have in there and I have never seen them out and about. I am not sure if that makes them a bust or not. I guess they were always going to be a relatively small seller.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Rogue line was a good line of irons but as mentioned prior the people on this site compare the callaway and taylormade reasonable priced clubs and move to a specialty set. I would try them if a decent shaft wasn't an upcharge but all they offer stock in the Mavrik is 90-100 gram shafts and everything else in an up charge almost. I just never liked the color schemes on irons give me classic black and silver and they look great but adding orange or teal I am out. Again I am just one person though so my opinion has no bearing on the sales of these clubs. They are number one selling because they are the cheapest option off the rack but i agree I do not see them in the wild that often. My father in law bought rogue Xs and loves them but he is 73 and probably would benefit from more actual loft and less power bat.