Parting ways with people you're paired up with

How does one handle not being able to play with someone you've been paired up with? It's only happened to me once, thank god, but we split after the second hole, the guy was just too much of a jerk to waste the round with. It was easy since not a lot of people were out. But what if the course is packed with foursomes?

If the course is full there's really no where to go, unless you resign the round and head into the clubhouse. If you are stuck riding with this guy that can make for a miserable round, for sure. In this case I would say something like "I kinda feel like walking today" and pull my bag off the cart and put some space between me an him so I only have to tolerate him on tees and greens.

I suppose you could also return to the clubhouse before the round begins and inquire if there are any other groups you could go out with.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

How bad was this guy?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

For starters on the first hole we drive up to the tee and a pair of women let us go before them. He walks all the way to the back tees, he was a long hitter, and from back there tells the women at the forward tee to please be quiet while he hits. Eye-rolls all around from people on the tee box. It got a lot worse from there...

• Like 1

More stories Please

I’d tell someone like this very bluntly that it’s not been enjoyable ... and to go up or back a group

EvnRoll ER9

In the fairway of the first hole, he's in a bunker and the third member of our group drives up in his cart, not really anywhere near the bunker, but our man in question flips out saying ' you can't be driving anywhere near me when I'm swinging, all I can think about is your clubs clanging in your bag!' Second eye-roll from me.

We all hit our approach shots into the green and he is once again mad since we're playing ready golf and he thinks we're all out of turn. Third eye-roll.

At the green, the last straw for him was me using a tee to mark my ball and not a coin, I prefer a coin but didn't have any in my pockets. He says 'I won't putt with a tee on the green! I'm a scratch golfer and I won't play like this.' My reply: We all paid money to come watch you play golf. He did not appreciate my sarcastic remark and we part ways then and there.

He actually reminded me a lot of Bubba Watson. Tall left handed player, similar swing and really was a very good player. He obviously had some kind of defect in his personalty. Probably similar to what Bubba was like in his early days on tour rubbing some players the wrong way and had to do a little work on himself to fit in.

• Like 1

Ah, the old can’t relax personality .... even in a casual round ... look at me look at me

• Like 2

EvnRoll ER9

Dude's probably super insecure and masks it by being super arrogant.

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

A guy is really annoying if he is that annoying on every shot of the first hole. Some at least don't start that stuff until after a few holes.

As others have said, empty course it's easy. Either skip holes or say I want to practice putt this green for awhile, if nobody behind you.

If he is your cart partner, it's a mess then. I guess you could walk in and start over, again if there are openings.

I got paired up with a guy at TPC Las Vegas a couple years ago. We each were singles in our own carts and another twosome sharing a cart. First, we're on the range. It's a quarter circle type of range. He's on the far left aiming at targets at the far right so if he shanks one, it's coming right at the other golfers on the range. He's chewing tobacco and spitting all over the place. Just had a general annoying nature about him. The starter calls us to the tee then tells me to sit tight because this guy decided to change his shoes and had to return to his car. Starter asks if I wouldn't mind sharing a cart with the guy so he can free up a cart. I politely decline. Starter says he doesn't blame me. And the worse thing is he outdrove me by 2 yards on every hole.

• Like 1

I can tolerate a lot, but that would’ve been it for me too. Life is too short. I’ve never had a bad experience golfing with 2 women in a cart, so that part would have been fun, but like you, one hole is about all I’d last also.

No good answer besides faking an important call or text message and saying you need to go back. Then hope you can restart your round with another group.

Really a sad situation if you’re playing destination golf and the course is packed. And you payed a lot to play. Nightmare scenario really.

Been there and done that. Me and a friend's kid (14 year old) were playing the local muni and got paired with two guys. Round starts ok but the minute we're backed up (on 5 or 6) it's all the two guys can focus on. They start loudly chatting and swearing about how slow the f***'s in front of us are, how much they paid just to "enjoy a f***ing round of golf" and so on. With no consideration for me or my buddie, they continued while we were swinging, while we were putting, etc.

Then they decided to open up the cooler and proceeded to drink away. This did not improve their mood or manners. Now Im 23, and I'm not really wanting to explain this to the kid's dad after the round. Sure at age 14 he's heard worse, but these guys were already jerks and are going to the next level.

Faked a phone call, told the two guys my brother had left his keys in his jacket that was in my car, and he needed to get to a job interview so we had to bail. Said goodbye and walked to the clubhouse. Got a quick sandwich, drove back out, joined a new twosome, explained the situation "oh yeah we could hear those guys two holes away..." and finished out the round. Night and day between the groups.

• Like 2

I've only had to do this once in all my time playing. Simply said my round is now finished and I'm heading back in (no room to drop back or move forward). No explanation, but no excuses, either.

Life's too short. Golf for me is 100% about recreation - even when I'm competing (as nobody has yet found the wisdom to pay me to play.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had a situation a couple of years ago where the foursome with which a good friend of mine and I shared a cart and the other twosome new each other. on about hole 6 or 7 - whatever the driver of the other cart was starting to have anger issues with his poor game. He ended up throwing a club about 30 yards he was so pissed he missed a easy chip shot. When we finshed the hole - I told him " Ron, that club throw was entirely wrong and someone could have been hurt. One of two things are going to happen now. Either you and your friend go ahead as a twosome or my friend and I will go ahead. Your choice. We are no longer a foursome"

• 2 weeks later...

I feel bad for people who do t get to play a lot. I play often and think nothing of walking away from anyone or anything that makes a round unenjoyable. I would tell the guy he’s not fun to play with and then split,even if it costs the round. The situation is increasingly unfair to a busy working golfer who only plays once a week. Let me know when you’re around Charlotte

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

I’ve never experienced a situation like any of these. But I think it’d just start laughing and making the round fun. Zero chance someone’s ruining my weekend round. They’re too valuable to let some idiot ruin them. If I can leave the group I 100% would but if I couldn’t I’d make it fun somehow. From that point on a tee would be in the ground the entire round. After every bad shot man I’ve seen scratch golfers you sure you’re scratch.