MX300 or AP2

wildcat golfer

[quote name='provx' date='22 February 2010 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1266858245' post='2269159']
im not sure what you mean. i don't have the chance to try the mx300 because no shop around here carries them. i want to like the ap2 because they are super easy to hit but they just go too high. im simply wandering what the flight is like on the mx300 compared to the ap2.
[/quote]

The problem here is that I am not sure what you mean by too high...I have a pretty good swing speed (185 for my 7 iron) and I hit everything high. Their flight is not any higher than the MP68's and Cally Proto's with the same shaft (actually the Cally's have Project X 6.5). I have been playing with KB tours and recently switched to DG SL X100's...DG seem to flight slightly lower but it could just be my imagination...

The flight may be marginally lower in the blades but again it could just be my imagination...nothing quantitative to back that up...

Just my two cents worth...

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'I hit them too high' is definitely something you hear A LOT around these parts. It has always confused me, with a couple exceptions. I assume most all of us have been to Tour events in person. Tour Players guys hit the ball HIGH. Higher than high. A Mickelson 4 iron gains more altitude than most amateur pitching wedges. Their drives are towering. They might sometimes flight the ball down, of course, but in general... high ball flights. Even the guys that hit it low still hit it very high for amateurs.

And yet everyone here wants to hit the ball lower, almost without exception. I guess it's just one of those things.

Obviously, the exception is seriously good ams who have Tour swing speeds. With swing speeds that high, the ball is getting up, period. You need a design to make sure it's not TOO high. But most ams would hit it further if they hit it higher.

Is it an ego thing? The ball flight equivalent of 'hook machine'?

[quote name='Gaff' date='22 February 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1266868447' post='2269537']
'I hit them too high' is definitely something you hear A LOT around these parts. It has always confused me, with a couple exceptions. I assume most all of us have been to Tour events in person. Tour Players guys hit the ball HIGH. Higher than high. A Mickelson 4 iron gains more altitude than most amateur pitching wedges. Their drives are towering. They might sometimes flight the ball down, of course, but in general... high ball flights. Even the guys that hit it low still hit it very high for amateurs.

And yet everyone here wants to hit the ball lower, almost without exception. I guess it's just one of those things.

Obviously, the exception is seriously good ams who have Tour swing speeds. With swing speeds that high, the ball is getting up, period. You need a design to make sure it's not TOO high. But most ams would hit it further if they hit it higher.

[/quote]

Good point abut tour players hitting it high. I think the distinction that should be made with us amateurs is when we hit it real high, its because we are spinning it too much and it is really ballooning. You need to look at the entire flight of the ball, where the apex is and how long it stays there - that's the big difference. I can hit a driver just as high as Phil, but then it drops straight down into the dirt and plugs (oh yeah and its about 80 yards shorter).....

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

Another vote here for the MX-300, but I'm biased. I can't tell you how many times i've demo'd a Titleist iron with high hopes only to be disappointed by what is to me a very dull, lackluster feel bordering on harshness. For me, feel wise it's no comparison, Mizzy all the way.

Here's a review of the 300's that is pretty positive, with great pics...they may not by blade-like in their beauty, but they sure aren't 'ugly as sin', or they wouldn't be in my bag.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=6575

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

MX-300's felt better to me. Both are quality though. I find it funny that anyone can say the Mizuno is ugly or too busy and not say the same thing about the Titleist.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

[quote name='provx' date='22 February 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1266861036' post='2269272']
ken are you talking about the ap2s or the mx300's
[/quote]

Actually both...but specifically I was replying to a poster's comment that they hit the AP2 "too high" and just wondering what "too high" meant as both sets ball flight is very similiar to the MP68's and Cally Proto's...

I hope that made more sense...

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

[quote name='Gaff' date='22 February 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1266868447' post='2269537']

[/quote]

I have been wondering the same thing...I had a rare opportunity to meet Tom Wishon and hitting some balls during a trackman session with him and I commented my ball flight was too high with my irons. His very quick retort was that with my swing speed the ball flight will always be high and I might as well learn how to hit knockdowns and there wasn't any technology that could change basic physics...he also commented on high tour players hit the ball...essentially he told me swing slower if I wanted to hit it lower! ;-)

Ken

Very interesting thread to me indeed, probably because these are 2 of the irons sets that I am seriousely considering as my next. After reading thru the entire thread seems as though my original thoughts on these 2 sets are fairly accurate.

For some reason, and truly not sure exactly why other than I think it will work very well for me personally, I have been very intriqued to put together a "combo" set for my next irons. BOTH of these would seem to match well with a "combo partner". For example...could see a set of Mizzy MX300 #4iron-7iron and MP62 #8iron-PW. Thinking the shorter MX300's probably have more offset than I was looking for.
Also, on the Titleist side of the coin...AP2 #4iron-7iron and 710CB #8iron-PW.

Both of these "combo sets" seem very interesting to me in theory. Been playing Ping i3 Blades for the past 11'sh years, and figure if I am going to chance, might as well be somewhat "drastic", lol

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else has had similar thoughts (or even better, experience with similar sets) on these "sets".

I am a 11 handicap and do not like offset clubs.

I have tried the Mizuno MX300 and I bought a set of AP2's.

In my opinion the AP2 is a far nicer looking club and performed better for me than the Mizunos MX300.

I am a ho.

I bought a set of AP2's and had them for 2 weeks.

I then decided I needed a more GI iron and looked at Ping G15 and Taylormade R9 and then onto the Diablo forged.

So last saturday I have a clubfittng and they want me to buy the Mizuno MX200 or 300.

I preferred the smaller head of the 300.

So I tried numerous shafts in the head of the 300 and nothing grabbed me.

So I asked to try an AP2,he pulls one out of his cart and unwraps it and gives it to me.

Well,in my mind it was chalk and cheese.

The club hit the ball,I felt something off of the face and it went where I aimed and with a good trajectory.

I said thank you very much,paid the guy for the fitting and called my friend and got my AP2's back from his shop.

You need to find the right shaft and lie's.

But that is my two cents worth.

Good luck.

I tried the Mizuno in a clubfitting with all different shafts

[quote name='sheldonjhacker' date='22 February 2010 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1266867434' post='2269494']
any higher (10-15) handicapper playing the AP2 or the MX300?? thanks
[/quote]

Thats a great questions. Anyone? Anyone? :huh:

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I play anywhere from 10-12 and play AP2s, have since summer of 2008. I really like them. My 4 and 5 iron are AP1s, but I didn't even carry my 4 at all last year.

I switched from I3+ blades to AP2s after much side by side comparison, and really appreciate the difference. Also hit the new version AP2s on the range late last fall, really liked them.

As much as I like the AP2s (they feel fine to me, ball flight is fine with Nippons, don't really know if I could tell the difference in ball flight anyway, that one confuses me), frankly, the only real difference in scoring I can attribute to clubs is from obtaining my Vokey wedges. If I was being tortured, I'm not sure I could point to the switch in irons as having made a noticeable difference in greens hit, etc., that's been more a function of practice and swing changes, but I just like the way they feel better. The wedges proved inspiring and I really enjoy practicing with my wedges, which has paid dividends.

After hitting both clubs indoors and the AP2 outside as well I prefer the 300's but based on the sweet Mizzy feel; I actually prefer the look at address of the AP2(THEY ARE PERFECT!) but felt kind of harsh when I hit them at the range this past weekend compared to the 300's which I think would be more forgiving.

It won't affect me this year anyway as I will be playing the J36 PC's I picked up off ebay around Christmas-VERY nice clubs-solid,great feel, and as forgiving as my 701's with better feel a much narrower sole and a better grind IMO.

Anyway another vote for the 300's for me personally but you have to decide based on what is important to you.

I tried AP1, AP2's and MX300's among others. I went with the MX300. The design is exactly what I was looking for. Some GI but with a more traditional look. Reading about the forged "Mizuno feel" probably helped too. lol

I loved the feel, they were consistent for me, and after the fitting I was quite pleased with the results.

Personanlly I like the look of the MX300 better, but of course, that's just me. :)

I can tell you the AP1 and 2's were both excellent and they had a good fitting system as well. It was tough but in the end I had to pull the trigger sometime and I gave the edge to the MX300 in feel.

Good luck whichever way you go. They are both great clubs. At least you narrowed it down to 2. I was at 5 just a few weeks ago. lol

The AP2 710's look and set up great but they are not forgiving enough for me and the feel is just not on par. I just ordered a custom set of MX-300's from Discount Dan. Should be here next week. Can't wait.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I just looked at the 300's and AP-2's today. To the eye the 300's looked great and I was suprised how little the offset was compared to the MX line.

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

[quote name='kencanuck' date='24 February 2010 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1266987984' post='2273460']
[quote name='Gaff' date='22 February 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1266868447' post='2269537']

[/quote]

I have been wondering the same thing...I had a rare opportunity to meet Tom Wishon and hitting some balls during a trackman session with him and I commented my ball flight was too high with my irons. His very quick retort was that with my swing speed the ball flight will always be high and I might as well learn how to hit knockdowns and there wasn't any technology that could change basic physics...he also commented on high tour players hit the ball...essentially he told me swing slower if I wanted to hit it lower! ;-)

Ken
[/quote]

If you look at those ballflight trackers they put on the pro's, it is amazing how high they hit everything. Their 3 irons go higher than our PW's. I agree - height is not usually a problem for most of us this side of a 2 handicap, yet somehow we think it is. Let's face it, we're all headcases...

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Very interesting thread to me indeed, probably because these are 2 of the irons sets that I am seriousely considering as my next. After reading thru the entire thread seems as though my original thoughts on these 2 sets are fairly accurate.

For some reason, and truly not sure exactly why other than I think it will work very well for me personally, I have been very intriqued to put together a "combo" set for my next irons. BOTH of these would seem to match well with a "combo partner". For example...could see a set of Mizzy MX300 #4iron-7iron and MP62 #8iron-PW. Thinking the shorter MX300's probably have more offset than I was looking for.

Also, on the Titleist side of the coin...AP2 #4iron-7iron and 710CB #8iron-PW.

Both of these "combo sets" seem very interesting to me in theory. Been playing Ping i3 Blades for the past 11'sh years, and figure if I am going to chance, might as well be somewhat "drastic", lol

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else has had similar thoughts (or even better, experience with similar sets) on these "sets".

I am an 18 handicaper (but a good ball striker) and tested the AP2, AP1, MP52, MX300, MX200, I15, G15, Diablo Forged, R9, 09 Burner, R7, CG7-BP. For my swing and ability I'd rank as follows:

Tied for first - MX300/MP52

Tied for Second - AP1

Tied for Third - I15/MX200

Fourth - G15

I didn't like the AP2 at all. Nor did I like the Diablo Forged, R9 or CG7-BP at all. I did like te R7. The 09 Burner felt nice swinging, but I don't want a club face that hot.

I wound up getting a matched combo set of 4-6 MX300 and 7-PW MP52. They come next week. yahoo.gif

Yes, that 2* is really going to wreck your game. Please.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel