Best advice to crack into single digit handicap

baller4opca

Most everything has been said, but I will offer one thing, with an example.

The vast majority of golfers under club. They nuked that 7-iron that one time in a galaxy far, far away and they are under the impression that is how far they will hit it all the time.

Most greens are 30 yards deep. Let's say there is a hazard in front of the green and you have 145 to the middle. Most will take their 145 yard club (or what they think is there 145 yard club). And, many will end up in the hazard.

If you have 145 to the middle then you know you have 160 to the back. Instead of a hoped for flushed 145 yard club, take your 155 yard club. If you mishit it at the very worst you will end up on the front of the green, but probably in the middle. If you hit it well, you will end up in the back of the green. At least you will be putting, and not in the hazard.

If the pin is in front, and it's 145 to the middle. You probably have 135 to the pin. Instead of trying to hit that flush 135 club, hit your 145 yard club. Again, if you mishit it you will still be on the green. If you mishit the 135 yard club you will definitely be in the hazard.

As you strike the ball better, you can adjust accordingly.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a practice routine that Madison picked up off of another forum in 2012 that a Teacher from Georgia I believe, designed and that she uses for those select mid/hi caps who REALLY are serious about getting to low single cap and below. Like any activity, to be amongst the top 2% or less takes incredible drive, discipline, focus and ability, not to mention repetition, no matter what the activity or endeavor. This routine may have even made this board. She has used it for about 4 years. The Gent(I believe that he is also a doc, though I don't know what kind) referred to it as "The Ultimate Practice Routine(UPR)," and while there is a concentration on the short game/putting, for obvious reasons(if it ain't obvious, forget the routine. Seriously, I'm not joking here. Forget it, it'd be a waste of your time. Just chalk me up as an A**H*** and keep slappin balls :) Love Ya, RP)

Later Ed:01/31/2016, 10:36am-> Madison said she has given the program to about 38 individuals over the last 4 years(The lowest cap being 16, the highest 32. The 16 got to 4 and the 32 got to 8. Her favorite though is a former D1 Female Soccer Player who went from 17 to +1. She would go out with us in the evenings and her intensity was incredible to watch. She asked me and another Am(A renowned Elite Am) to putt against her in the putting drills, for $20/run, whoever missed first lost and we'd start over. I noticed when we were at 20', she was running 80-90% of her putts BY the hole and while a few burnt edges. You just do not see this from double digit Ams, who are "hoping" to get in the man hole cover and most stop short. I asked her what she was thinking and she said "eff the man hole cover, I should be making some of these," lmao. You can't teach that, lol!! Of those 38, 2 went from over 20 to single cap(7&9), 2 went from the mid teens to a 4 and a 5, the 32 got to 8 and the soccer Player went to Plus(+1.4).

FWIW, while this program was conceived for mid/high cappers, it can obviously be adjusted for any level of Player with varying of the distances, reps and/or types of lies and shots, however most of the scratch/Plus guys that I know who use it, use parts of the program to diagnose and work on weaknesses, when they flare up in their games.

I myself use(used) bits of it, however my number is(was ;) ) 50 from 3' and 40 from 4'(Grant Wait and I used to do this one for $100/set, lol, and the UGA Golf Team does the 40/4 drill before ever practice!!) along with some other variances in my chipping/pitching/bunker routine.

Let me just say that it is not easy. In fact, initially, it is quite difficult for the golfer starting out. First, most have just "slapped balls" as I so eloquently love to chirp :). Along with the challenge of running 25 straight putts or putting 25 consecutive balls inside the manhole cover(my image for 3' around the hole), you insert the pressure of starting over if you miss. When you are standing over your 23rd putt, you will be a tad tighter than you were over your second putt. That's a good practice drill when it stimulates your mental side along with the physical :)

If it were easy, everyone could do it....

But it's not!!

Neither is getting to low cap or below....

However there is one thing that I will promise you~

If you cannot, with time and practice, complete both parts of this routine, you stand zero chance of getting to low single or below under pressure(I'm not talkin s**** & giggles with your buds ;) ). Like I said, as does the Gent who devised it, it takes great drive, discipline & focus to master it, as does getting to scratch.

Many will start it, and like in most areas of life, get tired, get disheartened and quit and in their mind rationalize that they are different and will get to scratch another way~

Ain't gonna happen!!!!

There's not a scratch/Plus that I know/Played with that couldn't go through this program-

Well, if ya choose to do it, and I'll only give one bit of advice.....

You either want to get to scratch or ya don't~

If you do, then ya write that down, you look at that and visualize it all day(well, when ya have free "mental" time) and you work towards that, and anything that gets thrown in your path, be it the challenges of this program, the poor shots and rounds that are bound to occur, well, everything is there as a stepping stone to get you to scratch/Plus. You never ever lose focus or sight of that!! Just keep your eye and mind on the prize!!

A few will do it, most will not-

Like I've always chirped.....

There's a reason that 98%+ don't break 100 playin it down and in :)

If it seems to get too easy, make the reps, types of shots/lies or targets match your level of play. This is designed to help you improve the scoring areas of the game. GO THROUGH YOUR PSR BEFORE EVERY SHOT!! This teacher designed this program to simulate playing golf. Once you've done the program a few times, add uneven lies, different shaped shots, etc. to challenge yourself. The program can be done in one session or broken up into several - you must start at the beginning & can only move to the next section when you have completed a section. You cannot move to chipping until you complete putting, etc. So a player who can't lag putt will not hit full shots for a while. If you are "stuck" on putting, take a break every 20 minutes and stretch your back, get something to drink, just do something else, you can certainly hit balls, but don't skip part of the program.

It is based on a 2 week format - do program A for 2 weeks then program B for 2 weeks, then back to A, etc.

Program A, First 2 weeks, in this order:

Putting:

25 in a row from 3 feet

Lag Putting

20 in a row from 20 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

20 in a row from 30 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

20 in a row from 45 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

Chipping:

8 out of 10 in a 3 foot circle from 20-30 feet

Pitching:

25 in a row landing & stopping on the green from 30 yards

25 in a row landing & stopping on the green from 50 yards

25 in a row landing & stopping on the green from 70 yards

* "Run-Ups" don't count!!

Bunkers:

10 out of 10 out of bunker

6 out of 10 stop inside the length of a flagstick

Long Bunker shot:

5 out of 10 on the green from 30-50 yards

Irons:

9-iron 6 out of 10 land & stop on green

7-iron 6 out of 10 land & stop on green

5-iron 4 out of 10 land & stop on green

* Again, "Run-Ups" don't count. Land & Stop the b**** :)

Driver:

6 out of 10 land & stop in fairway (if you're on a range set 2 targets the width of a common fairway).

Program B, Second 2 Weeks:

Putting:

25 in a row from 5 feet

Lag Putting

30 in a row from 20 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

30 in a row from 30 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

30 in a row from 45 feet stopping in a 3 foot circle

Chipping:

7 out of 10 in a 3 foot circle from 40 feet

Pitching:

25 in a row landing & stopping on the green from 40 yards

25 in a row landing & stopping on the green from 60 yards

25 in a row landing & stopping on the green from 80 yards

Bunkers:

10 out of 10 out of bunker

7 out of 10 stop inside the length of a flagstick

7 out of 10 out of bunker from uneven/buried lies

Long Bunker shot:

6 out of 10 on the green from 30-50 yards

Irons:

pw 7 out of 10 land & stop on green

8-iron 6 out of 10 land & stop on green

6-iron 5 out of 10 land & stop on green

Driver:

7 out of 10 land & stop in fairway

Again, no matter what you may think of this program, a True Plus Plays at a level higher than this-

Again, The Very Best to You :)

I really hope that a few of you take it on, do it and come back and tell us!!!

That would really make me smile :)

Boy, typin this on my phone was a b****, lol

Oh well, I hope that it helps :)

As Always,

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups 4ever My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Think about, You can hit Fairways and Greens all day, but if you three putt every green, you are going to shoot bogey Golf.

The putter can erase a multitude of sins. It is your friend.

As the wise Forged4Ever always says

"Fairways and Greens my friend"

That's your key

I thought about it Bro, and most of the Gals/Guys that I know that "hit Fairways & Greens all day" don't get many 3-putt bogies, lol

But I agree, that would really suck to be "Fairways & Greens all day" and Play bogie golf :)

And no, for me the putter was never my Friend.....

It made me a Man and has been a steady, dependable and very loving mistress :)

Madison's good with it :)

Stay Well My Friend & have a great week :)

Oh yea, your avatar is Adorable!!!

Best one in the thread :)

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups 4ever,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Another Sticky Richard!

Excellent explanation of it all!

Thanks Bro, though the "meat" of it is not mine.

Also, Most of what I've used as explanation Madison got from the Teacher's postings.

Ain't plagiarism grand, lol.

At the time, May of 2012, I had just gotten in from a swat and along with another guy who also Played, we were on the practice green when she approached and showed a paper that she had typed out to give her students.

We both snapped shots of it and the next afternoon/evening showed up to run through it.

It took this Am, who I'll just say is the most Elite Am to come out of the Burgh in some time, if not ever, 98 minutes to complete it(he was at +4.9 at the time and would get to +5.4 that season, just in time to kick some Major Mid-Am A** and hop the plane to Southampton :) )

It took Moi 122(sorry, I initially posted a "3"/132 and it shoulda been a "2"/122. I'm usin my phone ;) ) minutes(at +1.9 and I would get to +2.7) though I would shave that to 112 minutes. My goal was under 2 hours.

Madison did it in 117 minutes, and she would drop that to 108 minutes....

HaHa, why do you think that I asked her to Marry me????

Let me also say that our first run throughs were done with this exact program though we changed some things up and those best times were a more difficult program.

We planned on doin the original program again in 2013 but life got in the way(and a few health issues) however they both use parts of it to this day.

Thanks for reading :)

Have a great week!!

All the Best,

Richard

I think I read a stat one time that stated 90% of all penalty/added strokes are earned off the tee box. Think about all the stupid shots/strokes you are losing off the tee. For me, it's embarrassing, and I'm a 7 index. When I say "added strokes off the tee" that means not necessarily hitting it OB or in a hazard, I'm talking about missing the fairway and it being behind that damned tree on 16, or in the fairway bunker on 7 on in the deep weeds along 12.... basically taking you an extra shot to recover from a crappy lie or bad spot.

Penalty strokes/added strokes off the tee and 3 putts are the score killers and the heavy hitters when looking at a score card at the end of the day.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I just had a baby this week so 4 hour rounds are going to die off for a little bit which means more range time. I really like the proposed practice routine in one of the threads above. I'm still on my first set of clubs, the old GI super fast irons and debating on pulling the trigger on better clubs. Again, thanks for all the feedback. This is truly a great forum.

I just had a baby this week so 4 hour rounds are going to die off for a little bit which means more range time. I really like the proposed practice routine in one of the threads above. I'm still on my first set of clubs, the old GI super fast irons and debating on pulling the trigger on better clubs. Again, thanks for all the feedback. This is truly a great forum.

If you wanna get better you would spend the money you'd spend on club on lessons. Clubs aren't what is holding you back and aren't making a big difference. If you want new clubs go ahead and buy them. I believe you should do whatever makes you happy and if new clubs increase your enjoyment go for it. But they won't make a meaningful impact on your scores

The most important thing according to Jack Nicklaus is to keep your head still. It's the most important fundamental for all your shots. When my game goes bad it always traces back to that.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

The most important thing according to Jack Nicklaus is to keep your head still. It's the most important fundamental for all your shots. When my game goes bad it always traces back to that.

No disrespect to Jack, because he's my GOAT, however this for me at least, would be a swing killer. It was not a fundemental for me in any full swing shot.

I won't go so far as saying that it is a myth, though a lot of respected Teachers say just that, however as each swing is as individualistic as the person swinging, maybe someone could make a free flowing athletic swing with a perfectly "still" head, though I doubt it and if ya look at slo mo vids of Jack, neither did he-

Sorta like Johnny Miller tellin ya what he "feels" himself doing versus what the vids tells us that he is actually doing.

Regardless, the best to ya :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

Congratz on the arrival of your Baby!!

The Very Best to You, Your Wife and your Little One :)

When ya have the time, drop in and have a great season!!

RP

No disrespect to Jack, because he's my GOAT, however this for me at least, would be a swing killer. It was not a fundemental for me in any full swing shot.

I won't go so far as saying that it is a myth, though a lot of respected Teachers say just that, however as each swing is as individualistic as the person swinging, maybe someone could make a free flowing athletic swing with a perfectly "still" head, though I doubt it and if ya look at slo mo vids of Jack, neither did he-

Sorta like Johnny Miller tellin ya what he "feels" himself doing versus what the vids tells us that he is actually doing.

RP

"Perfectly still" is impossible, but your head has to stay in a pretty small box to be consistent. Watch the pros; they might look very different in the way that they swing, but this is one thing they nearly all have in common.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

I was between a 5-6 hcp at the end of last year and I know what saves me is my wedge play and knowing where to miss. I have really never played more than 18 holes per week, never took lessons, and rarely go to the range to practice. I know that my miss is a hook and I've always had decent feel around the greens. My driver is all over the place. But I know that if I can get my approach anywhere on the green or I miss in the right place, I can generally get up and down. If you can work towards a consistent ball flight (even if it's a severe fade/slice or draw/hook), at least you know where it's going and you can miss in the right spots.

I play with a lot of mid teen handicaps a bunch and using their game as a reference is manage your blow up holes and work on your game around the green. Many times I see what could of been a bogey turn into a double, even a triple. In terms of the game around the green, if you solidify your short game, you can easily pick up 4-5 strokes on that alone. The biggest difference maker to cracking the single digit mark is a 2 foot putt versus say an 8 foot putt.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

RP

"Perfectly still" is impossible, but your head has to stay in a pretty small box to be consistent. Watch the pros; they might look very different in the way that they swing, but this is one thing they nearly all have in common.

One thing I notice among those head-movers - most have a shoulder turn that is too flat and their head HAS to move because of it. Taking care of the shoulder turn will take care of the head movement in a lot of cases - focusing on just keeping the head still while turning the shoulders flat will make things worse. As far as I can tell, anyway

RP

One thing I notice among those head-movers - most have a shoulder turn that is too flat and their head HAS to move because of it. Taking care of the shoulder turn will take care of the head movement in a lot of cases - focusing on just keeping the head still while turning the shoulders flat will make things worse. As far as I can tell, anyway

It really depends when, to what degree and in what direction they move it-

Jack moved his away from the ball on the back swing, Sam stayed pretty set and Tiger's was pretty set goin back however it dropped in the downswing and at impact, as does Freddie, though Phil keeps his as still as can be.

The one constant though, regardless of degree of movement and that is that the head is behind the ball at impact-

https://foreverbettergolf.com/articles/what-is-most-important-about-head-movement-during-the-golf-swing/

When I was younger, I always visualized a wall right behind the ball and my head could obviously not go past that wall-

Nice post MM!!

Have a nice season Bro :)

RP

I am in a similar position. I was a 14 trying to get down but instead of going down I went up to a 16. In the last half year I managed to reverse the trend by changing

a) how I practice

b) what I focus on

c) working on what my 'real' weaknesses are

d) taking lessons (which I did before as well but now with a focus on non-technical things).

A book that helped me with the practicing and what to practice was The Training Manual by Adam Young. I am now doing a lot more 'skill' training then just working on mechanics.

Another very useful tool is my GameGolf. I always thought my short game and iron were my strength and drive and putting my weakness. With GameGolf you can compare you Strokes gained for Driving/Approach/Short Game/Putting to different baselines (e.g. I compare against a 10 hdc). Turns out my drive and putting is actually better than that of an average 10 hdc but my approach and short game isnt'. That's where I am losing my shots - and thats what I am practicing now. Again not just hitting shot after shot. Set yourself 'SMART' targets what you want to achive in the season. E.g. GIR percentage (closely linked to scoring), strokes gained etc.

One of my main problems was that I was to technical (scientist by nature). So I am now trying to shift my focus to an external target (could be the place you want to bottom out the club, or could be the target).