Best advice to crack into single digit handicap

baller4opca

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a 16 handicap and curious as to what's the one best piece of advice to crack into single digit handicap. Drill, work more on putting, a mindset, etc...

Truth be told, there is no "one best piece of advice" to get to a single cap anymore than there is a single swing to get you there :)

However Dan did offer the best single pearl that you're going to get~

The best with your journey and upcoming season!!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Keep it in play off the tee

and

Make the short game your B*tch

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I know nothing about your game, and after thinking about how I first got into single digits (and out, and back in!) the advice of Dan and Richard is as true as it is succinct. Still, I'm just barely into single digits at the moment, at just over 9, but had a cup of coffee, so to speak, at a 7 a few years ago, kind of did what it took to get there, then started backsliding.

I got some good instruction (wish I'd known Monte 8 years ago), practiced a lot and played. But the bottom line was consistency improving all around, particularly with short irons and wedges. I grooved what I had then, so to speak.

I always took my putting for granted, and still do. Big mistake. I know to get my handicap lower, and I want to, I need to really improve my putting from 6 feet and in, but beyond that, surprise, more consistency/better ball striking. Between injury and complacency the past couple of summers, have nearly squandered great ideas received via Monte, but putting things in motion to get back to really working on things. Trip to Kansas City later in the summer to learn more from Monte (and Jake!) was both kind of a kick in the butt, but also inspiration. I can look at some striking before and afters and know a change is possible.

Good luck. If I can do it, I guarantee anyone can. Some great instructors on here to draw upon, or find someone you trust wherever it is, just to get some good eyes on your game.

Find a good instructor Monte or Dan, stay committed and have faith in what the instructor says to do. Take the time needed to make the swing changes, give short game just as much attention as the swing. And most importantly take it to the course, takes notes and continue to improve your course management. Pay specially attention to fairways and GIR and putts around 5-8 feet.

No reason you can't consistently drop strokes fast if you're determined

Keep the ball in front of you (i.e. in play and out of trouble) but when you do get in trouble, get out of trouble first and worry about pulling off a great shot second third. Then have a good short game.

I have to admit though I play defence when I golf rather than offence. I am trying to make sure I limit opportunities for bad things to happen. For example when I play a 300 yard par 4 with trouble (deep bunkers) up front of the green, I won't hit driver as I only hit it 265 and I have no interest in a 35 yard flop over a deep bunker. I will play what ever long club I am feeling good about that day that will leave me a controlled wedge in.

Other good advice.... play to your strengths. I am a good putter and very good inside 100. I am not very good (relatively) at long 3 wood shots. I make more birdies on par fives play the hole to set up 85 yard wedge in then I do trying tub bust out a drive/3w to get on in two.

So I find it help to 'own' at least one part of your game that you can go to when things get tough.

I will add a bit more. Practice with purposes and consequences. This was huge for me when I got myself down to scratch. All my drills had targets that needed to be achieved like make 46 puts from 3' out of 50. I set up 5 station around a hole and hit 50 putts. I would keep doing it until i made 45 out of 50. It was a great way to add a few nerves to deal with as missing might mean the only thing I would practice that day was 3' putts.

B4,

honestly? you gotta slow your roll.

if you're currently a 16 there's still significant barriers to break thru before you need to start thinking "single digit". make it a goal in 2016 to shave a 1/4 off your handicap. for you that's finding 2 shots a side you need to clean up.

better decisions off the tee, better iron choices from the fairway, improve approach wedges, around the green wedges, bunker play, overall putting, 3 putt avoidance, and increase your frequency in making a birdie (attack the par 5s).

earn yourself a solid 12 handicap and head into 2017. then refocus goals working towards figuring out, "how the hell do I ever get it to a single?"

(and to correctly answer you original question.... if your physical game has become clean enough to actually play to a single.... then at that point, the doing it part is ALL between the ears)

I'm a 16 handicap and curious as to what's the one best piece of advice to crack into single digit handicap. Drill, work more on putting, a mindset, etc...

Your handicap is based on your entire game so you have to include your entire game, including mental.

That being said, areas that can drop a handicap are:

• Reduce penalty strokes (max 1 a round) - why hit driver if you do not have the area to play your miss
  • Get the ball immediately back into play when a shot goes wayward and forget the hero shot, you already messed up the prior shot, why make it worse
  • Always miss putts towards the high side and practice distance control
  • Forget the flag for now and aim to the middle of the green
  • Ballstriking, ballstriking, ballstriking - especially distance control, play rounds with 2-5 clubs - get creative and have fun
  • Then focus on wherever you feel you are losing the most strokes over 5+ rounds

Work on your grip, posture, setup, alignment, mechanics, etc. - it is a gradual evolution as you become more aware of cause and effect. I play rounds with many that have no idea of how they are holding the club and it can even change during a round - it is hard to control the ball if you do not control the club face .

Best of luck

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

Drive the ball in the fairway more often.

You' e gotten some great advice, starting with Hawk below me and all these Gents have taken the time to give sincere, valid and potentially very helpful(they did their part, you will determine this :) ), however, and this is what I Love about this board and these members(well, one of a number of things) and that is that as I typed my initial response, I was convinced that there was no "single piece of advice" that could take one to single cap.

I was wrong~

Whether it be single cap or below, if one can consistently do what Craniac and Kale suggests, well, this sets up everything else, and while there are obviously other critical areas of the game, all mentioned here, and definitely a factor in going south cap wise, as scrambling is an acquired art, THIS would be what I'd say if given a mulligan.

Very Well Played Gents!!

Have a great week My Friends :)

Golfingly Yours,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thanks. I don't get in trouble too often except with my 3w/4h. I play to my strengths and do not play aggressive therefore I try not to play them if I can avoid it. Consistency is probably my biggest wish. My biggest downfall is that I don't like taking time away from the course. I practice alot but I don't take what I do there to the course because I don't like to screw up. I know, bad move.

Thanks. I don't get in trouble too often except with my 3w/4h. I play to my strengths and do not play aggressive therefore I try not to play them if I can avoid it. Consistency is probably my biggest wish. My biggest downfall is that I don't like taking time away from the course. I practice alot but I don't take what I do there to the course because I don't like to screw up. I know, bad move.

2016 checklist....

1)) go wear a hole thru that 3 wood and 4 hybrid during range sessions AND hitting them anywhere and everywhere on the course under pressure.

2) challenge yourself to take on a few more "uncomfortable" shots during your round. make them calculated risks, but BE more aggressive (we are back to the 3w/4h, think getting after the par 5s).

3) inconsistent? start taking post round notes of your mental routine during the ENTIRE round.... where, and how often, are the weaknesses in your preperation for hitting EVERY shot during the day causing issues.

4) don't know what context "taking time away" was in... but if you have week with no rounds scheduled or really long range time... you still better find yourself doing practice putting sessions until your back creaks.

5) taking work from the range out onto the course can be a 2 steps forward, one step backwards proposition. but it MUST be done. you've gotta see progress being made out on the course to advance your skill level. I know, you probably already knew that.

Lots of good suggestions thus far. What is the state of your game presently?

Off the tee are you able to put the ball on the fairway consistently..........say 12 of 14 times per 18 holes. Or are you playing from the rough/trees/hazards more than you should?

What about your approaches to the green or on par 3's? If you miss your approach, how much? On the fringe or 10-15 yards right/left, short, etc.

What about putting.........how many putts per round? Can you make "everything" within 8 feet of the hole? How is your lag putting? Can you two putt from 40 - 60 feet every time?

Think over your last 5 rounds; most likely there are several areas that need some work. Example: ff you are playing from the rough and missing your approaches you probably need some swing work. Hopefully you can find a good teacher that will work with you. Review the basics; grip, stance, posture, balance, alignment and ball position..........all static parts of the swing. Get your foundation sound then work through the swing. I'd start with making solid contact with the ball and then direction. I think if you can make solid contact with the ball then your swinging somewhat consistent.

How much time can you invest to make changes and work to improve..........it takes time so be patient.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Hone you short game..... it will save you on the days when your just around the greens. Avoid big numbers by playing the hole smartly and not being lured into the 'Superman Complex' where you know you can 'Hit that shot over the bunker'.... god knows we all want to do it. ... and it's boring but fairways and greens ..... 3 wood vs driver, knock down 8 iron vs full SW..... play to your strengths and manage the course in front of you.

Driver: To temperamental
3 wood: Callaway Razar Fit 15
5 wood: Callaway Razar Fit 18
Hybrid: Adams Pro Gold 16, 20, 24
Irons: Mizzy 825 5-pw
Wedges: Mizzy 53 GW
Putter: TPM 16 or Wilson tour special

Assuming golf for you is a hobby/game (not a career) just relax and play more golf. The more you play the better your handicap will be.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

Eliminate 3 putts, penalty strokes and learn to get up and down!

This is it!

1- Keep yourself in play off the tee

2- Take away 3 putts

3- Dont take more than one stroke to get it on the green within 50yds.

The point with all of these is to eliminate big numbers. You can look at reducing your HC by 7 strokes in a couple of different ways... You can turn 7 bogies into pars or (depending on your game) turn 3-4 blow up holes into holes that are no worse than bogie.

You need to be honest with yourself in assessing where you are loosing the biggest chunk of strokes.

I've really been holding back but I would suggest figuring out a way to touch the little white ball less. In all seriousness though a 16 from my experience can be a very wide skill set. Id suggest addressing your biggest weakness and making it a strength. Get some lessons from the local PGA teaching pro and don't be afraid to ask for short game lessons because scoring is really about short game. On average how many greens in reg do you hit?

The advice to spend more time on the short game is good, but it's also partial. Better yet, work with a professional on improving all aspects of your short game. I see so many people who get instruction on their full swing but then make it up as they go along with the wedges and putter. That will keep your pro happily in business, but it won't do all it can to unlock your potential as a player. Practicing your short game will only help if you are practicing effective techniques.

If you do improve your short game, you will be amazed how much pressure it takes off of the rest of your skills. When you're not so worried about what the consequences of a missed fairway or green might be, you'll very likely find that you don't miss as many of them.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Here's my two cents...I'm on the same quest as you. I knew that if I focused on my short game and putting, i could likely get my handicap down to 10 or 9. However, I decided that without having good ball striking, I'd hit a ceiling and it would be really tough to get lower then that. So I decided to focus fully on developing a simple, repeatable swing that allow me to take divots in front of the ball and where I know, more or less, where the ball is going to land. So I've been on a chase, sometimes a bit wild, to focus fully on good mechanics. I started working with Dan Carraher recently via online lessons and finally feel like I know what I need to do to hit the ball well. Now, it's just a matter of ingraining the changes and LOTS of reps. This is probably not the fastest way to lower my handicap, but my hope is that in the end the only thing that will hold me back is whether or not I have enough time to play 18 holes on a regular basis and not my swing mechanics.

and

Make the short game your B*tch

For me, this hits home...

Moving from 28 to 15 was all about the first part. As I continue the quest to move lower, it's now about the second.

It's a lot easier to be a single digit when you are going up and down for par instead of 6 because of a penalty or

two bailout shots from behind trees or bad lies in the rough.

You are in Jacksonville. Book a lesson with iteach and drive over to see him.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified