Why is it so hard to resist the poser bag?

jons1

[quote name='square' timestamp='1391917289' post='8627077']
Not sure why one brand makes a person more of a poseur than a multiple brand bag.
Anyway, the trademark of the golf poseur is an amateur with his name on the golf bag. Name-on-bag is the traditional right of passage for a golf professional, and it is to be earned, not bought.
[/quote]

I would disagree with that. Maybe thirty years ago. Nowadays I see high school kids with there name on their team bags.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the OP's comments on the various brands, especially Cobra/Puma. We have a 50+ year old at my course who thinks he's Rickie Fowler, every outfit is color coordinated and BOLD...which looks terribly funny on a guy who hobbles when he walks. But I guess it makes him happy, so who am I to judge.

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

I bought a TM staff bag off of a local pro. He had seven or eight of them in a closet. Couldn't pass it up for only $50. My wife spent a few hour pulling the embroidered name off of it. I like large staff bags --- lots of room to carry a couple of bottles of water, Gatorade, etc plus the clbs aren't all jammed in tight.

My all time favorite was a guy that used to play a lot at Falcons Fire / Metrowest in Orlando. Guy looked like a tour pro every time he pulled the clubs out of his car: Footjoy Classics, Titleist staff bag, 905 woods, 670 irons, Vokeys, Cameron, Footjoy clothing...his appearance just screamed "course record" every time those Footjoy Classics hit the range.

And then reality would strike on the first swing. If he ever broke 100 I would have been shocked.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

so if I bought my 17yr old a TM backpack, TM hoodie, TM beanie, 3pairs of adidas shoes & adidas 3stripe 1/2 zip for Christmas -

who is the poser? me or my son?

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Back in the 40's and 50's country club (and public course) head professionals would sell only one brand of clubs, typically Wilson, Macgregor, or Spalding. The pro had his name on his brand's staff bag and it was on display when he gave driving range lessons. His club membership bought from him the brand he represented, sold. Come the 60's when Touring professional golf became widely popular, the playing pros carried on the club pro tradition of having their name on their golf bags.
Either way, name on the bag was always something a professional player earned. For most of those guys getting a name on the bag was a very big deal, a right of passage.
You are right, these days high school , college players, and any joe schmoe willing to pay for it can get his name on his golf bag. In my opinion this is disrespectful to those who actually earned the right.

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1391960434' post='8628959']

I would disagree with that. Maybe thirty years ago. Nowadays I see high school kids with there name on their team bags.
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1391908315' post='8626239'] Like a moth to a flame, it's so hard not to move toward one manufacturer. It never fails, it doesn't matter which pony you pick, a few years go by and you're ready to buy everything from someone else. [size=4]I say why fight it? Let's learn how to be sponsored this year![/size] Pros and Cons Taylormade Pros If you go all Taylormade, you can also pretend to sign a clothing deal with Adidas Golf, which really ups your poser game. You can also be young and edgy and rock the Ashworth stuff, so the options are really endless for you. Throw in the white three striped belt and you're practically a touring pro. For all their marketing, the clubs are actually really good, so it could be a win-win this season. Cons The ball is great, but not for everyone, which could really mess up the relationship with your pretend sponsor, and you're also subject to those things they call wedges. Also, their staff bags and hats change every 6 months, so this is an ongoing investment that you have to consider to maintain your poser level. Titleist Pros If you go all Titleist, you have a nice transition from woods to putters, cause it's all pretty quality stuff. The staff bag also doesn't change often, so you can maintain your level of poser for quite a while before reinvesting. And let's face it, there's a million of these guys, so you could fly under the radar and pull this off too. You also have Footjoy to round out your look, which isn't too shabby I might add. Cons It's hard to find a pretend clothing deal. Sure, you can go with Oakley or Polo or someone, but it feels like your poser game has lost some street cred. You also lose out on all the fuzzy feelings you get with Taylormade and Callaway marketing hype. I mean, how fun is it really to say you're hitting a versus a JetSpeed? The models also don't really change each year, so it loses some poser edge unless you go with the story about Titleist letting you bag what you want as long as it's theirs (which requires some acting skills). Callaway Golf Pros If you go all Callaway Golf, you've got some quality stuff throughout the bag. Some woods are hook central, but nothing the pro model can't fix, or a story about some custom fitting sessions in Carlsbad. Staff bags also get a big bonus, cause collecting the bombs is kind of cool, and tells you're playing parters that you're 250 yard drive is really a 320 bomb. Also, you could maybe pretend you're a professional long driver, but that really comes down to whether you can swing the club 115mph to pull off the look to unsuspecting ams that think 300 is long. Cons Sure, you can wear Callaway clothing, and it's pretty decent stuff, but it's not as easy to find or on sale. Those golf ball dimples also take some getting use to, but I'm sure you can work it out. Also, the endless questions about Phil could get to be too much, depending on whether you're a fan or not. Ping Pros If you're a cast guy, you've found your home. These guys have lots of great options, and even touring pros will play the i series so you might be able to pull the whole thing off. Plus, you can also get your putters dipped in gold (spray paint might work), and start a room in your house. This is for the serious poser, however. Another good thing, you can pretend to sign a deal with any ball maker and still be legit. Cons Not everyone loves cast, so this could be an issue. You also have no clothing deal options to complete the full poser effect, though you might be able to pull it off with Oakley (especially if you say you're truck is bullet proof (don't test it out, no matter how many beers on the course you drink)). Mizuno Pros If you're a forged guy, this is really a great way to go. Irons, wedges, and putters are top notch stuff, and you can tell stories about how samurai swords are made. Bags and hats don't change often, so you can maintain your poser level for some time. You can also pretend to be sponsored with any golf ball, but I'd stick with Titleist on this one. Cons Woods are not at the top of peoples list, and although their own pros will bag a TM driver, it lowers your ranking. You have no clothing deal options either, which really limits you to Oakley, Polo, etc. Nike Pros If you go all Nike, you have some great Nike swooshed options. Pretty quality throughout the bag overall. And when you sign a pretend deal with Nike, with it comes apparel, shoes, hats, street wear when you're not playing, etc. You can pull off the best poser image, behind TM, in the game. This is also the best option for the PLAYAS... you know who you are (no need to insert a cheap Tiger waitress joke). Cons You live in the shadow of Tiger, and it's creating friction with your pretend sponsor. You also would never bag anything but their blades, so you better bring your A game. Wilson Staff Pros A long history of winners and majors, you follow in great footsteps. They are also a general sporting company, so you can mix in other sporting equipment to round out your pretend sponsorship. Also, they don't sponsor many people you've heard of, so in the US you have a higher chance of pulling this off (unless they are hardcore golf fans). Plus, you could make your own funny youtube commercial if you're the type. Cons Seriously? No, really, seriously? Where do we even begin? You have no pretend clothing deal associated with this sponsorship, let alone shoes or ball, but I suggest you're a journeyman that likes to march to the beat of your own drummer (may require acting skills) to pull this off. Adams Golf Pros You're best friends with Watson... just go with it. Besides, you were also instrumental in Els leaving Callaway. This could win you an oscar this year. BTW, their stuff is actually really good, and the shaft upgrades alone make this a smart pretend sponsorship for any poser (especially on a budget). Also, you're inside knowledge about TM owning AG makes you not only the real deal, but gives you the ability to fulfill your dream of wearing yellow shoes. Cons These guys are associated mainly with Champions Tour players. I know what you're saying, it's only bad for the guys under 50, but it's still a major issue to consider to pull this off. Cobra Pros You are the coolest kid on the block! I mean, you sip red bull all day, and party all night with the hot ladies! If you're young, this is THE pretend sponsorship this year. You got some great options with the equipment as well, and you can even COLOR COORDINATE with your other pretend sponsor, Puma. Cons Only for the young. Seriously, no one needs to see a 40 year old guy in orange pants. 'nough said. Bridgestone Golf Pros Fred Couples. Yeah, that's what you're getting here, and it's a good thing. OK, everyone likes some Kuch (don't say that with your wife around), but it's all about Couples here. The equipment is actually pretty good, particularly the forged stuff. You also have a great ball selection to fit anyones game with this pretend sponsorship, and all of them are totally legit options with Lee hanging on to the lower ball speed models. You also have a lot of flexibility with this sponsor, so it could be a win-win if you're a tinkerer. Cons It's been a while, but didn't the woods look like something Austin Powers would use? It took some serious wind out of this sponsorship in the driver department in the past, which is why you saw some other options in the bag. Couples or no couples, Bridgestone Golf just doesn't seem to carry the kind of poser power of the others, so you have to really figure out who you want to pretend you are. [/quote]

You just made my day, that was :censored2: ing Awesome!... :rofl:

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Anyway, the trademark of the golf poseur is an amateur with his name on the golf bag. Name-on-bag is the traditional right of passage for a golf professional, and it is to be earned, not bought.
[/quote]

This one always intrigues me. People spend a ton of money to customize/personalize the latest equipment but if you personalize your bag, with your name, then you are dubbed a "poser?" I carry a vintage 2001/2002 Hoofer2 with my name (in cursive) on the side ball pocket. It was a bag I used in college. Fast forward 12-13 years and it still looks/works great... Why shouldn't I use it? I guess I should be made to feel like a poser, who disrespects the game and the legacies of those who "earned the right" to have thier names etched onto their own equipment??? Yeah right!!! Lol.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

[quote name='square' timestamp='1391964172' post='8629259']
You are right, these days high school , college players, and any joe schmoe willing to pay for it can get his name on his golf bag. In my opinion this is disrespectful to those who actually earned the right.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Disrespectful???? More like a change in times... Probe through some of the college tournament galleries in the PGA WITB thread. Are all of those kids disrecting the game because they have personalized bags?

I love golf

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1391964635' post='8629299']
[/quote]

This one always intrigues me. People spend a ton of money to customize/personalize the latest equipment but if you personalize your bag, with your name, then you are dubbed a "poser?" I carry a vintage 2001/2002 Hoofer2 with my name (in cursive) on the side ball pocket. It was a bag I used in college. Fast forward 12-13 years and it still looks/works great... Why shouldn't I use it? I guess I'll be a poser then because I'm far from being a pro.
[/quote]Like I said, the name on the bag is a personal preference, and there is no right or wrong, only what you or the bag's owner wants.

It just so happens that this pro, who I would classify as one of my mentors in my life, was very influential in how I carry myself on a golf course, and along with my Grandmother, one of the two most influential.

Hell, I had my first drinks with him, me as a 19yo clueless college freshman, sitting in his office long after the assts. had headed home for the evening, and listening to his stories about playing with A lot of the famous players of the day when he headed south in the winter.

It's just that the memory of him pulling that bag out from behind his desk and brushing his hand over his name is as vivid in my mind as if it happened last week,

I just wouldn't feel right putting my name on my bag, though I do have it on a few putters, lol.

I apologize if I offended-

That was not my intent

Have a great week

Fairways & Greens My Friends

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1391918001' post='8627149']
Not sure why one brand makes a person more of a poseur than a multiple brand bag.

[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! The correct spelling is "poseur" not "poser."

That said, I'm a Cleveland poseur. I'm not sure what that says about me but I'm pretty certain it's not good.
[/quote]

I don't think it makes one a poseur. An individual simply happens to like that OEM's equipment. I've played all Callaway and all Ping at one time.

I'm certainly not a poseur. OCD without a doubt, but not a poseur. :-)

ps: I have an Ogio bag. :-)

What about srixon?

Could probably do that under the radar quite well. All the golf anoraks would approve because you can use JDM srixon woods with cleveland irons and wedges. Good ball in the z star.

Infact i've already got a srixon tour bag sat around holding old clubs. Hmmmm…..

Under the radar as long as everyone at your club is colour-blind:

2012-01-30-18.07.24.jpg

ah yes, maybe not that bag!!

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

@Forged4Ever1,

Thank you but no apology necessary as I totally agree with you about personalization being a "personal preference." I was referring to the poster who implied that a "non-pro" having a personalized bag was in some way "disrespectful" to those who so called "earned the right."

I love golf

Yes. Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Phil Mickelson , Tiger woods etc... did not have their name on their golf bag until they turned pro and were given a bag to use (as part of their endorsement deal). They earned it.
I understand that these days that many college teams outfit their players with their names on their golf bags, and that is a shame.. For example, those college players who do turn pro don't get to enjoy the moment of earning a pro personalized golf bag. Veteran pros remark that seeing their name on a bag for the first time, after having earned it, was a very memorable, special big deal.

[quote name='llamont' timestamp='1391965580' post='8629375']
Probe through some of the college tournament galleries in the PGA WITB thread. Are all of those kids disrecting the game because they have personalized bags?
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

You forgot about one type of poseur, the "Out Of Sport" poser, like me who sports multiple different club brands but has nothing but NHL(NFL,NBA,MLB) bags, towels, hats, shirts and team color paintfill, pretending to be a retired pro from another sport who "gave that $#!£ up, to concentrate on golf " ;)

Edit: They still got to be whiped down to get the excess paint off tomorrow when their dry.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='square' timestamp='1391966633' post='8629491']
Yes. Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Phil Mickelson , Tiger woods etc... did not have their name on their golf bag until they turned pro and were given a bag to use (as part of their endorsement deal). They earned it.
I understand that these days that many college teams outfit their players with their names on their golf bags, and that is a shame.. For example, those college players who do turn pro don't get to enjoy the[b] moment of earning a pro personalized golf bag[/b]. Veteran pros remark that seeing their name on a bag for the first time, after having earned it, was a very memorable, special big deal.

Probe through some of the college tournament galleries in the PGA WITB thread. Are all of those kids disrecting the game because they have personalized bags?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey square, I think that moment has been replaced with the moment of earning a big fat check.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[quote name='square' timestamp='1391966633' post='8629491']
I understand that these days that many college teams outfit their players with their names on their golf bags, and that is a shame.. For example, those college players who do turn pro don't get to enjoy the moment of earning a pro personalized golf bag. Veteran pros remark that seeing their name on a bag for the first time, after having earned it, was a very memorable, special big deal.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. But to say somebody is being disrespectful because they chose to wear their name on a golf bag is preposterous.

I love golf

LMAO, though in full disclosure, I did play in an Inter-Club event, with 5 other clubs(think Tavistock Format), and Staff gave each of us a red/white leather mid-size carry bag with our names stitched in black, and though I had switched to Mizzy, these bags were sweet(a smaller version of the retro bag in Tour thread), and we showed up at the host club, and on the first tee, it looked like a Staff poseur convention, LMFAO-

50 identical bags ;)

Being the team player, I used it for the week-end, though a few guys did switch out for Friday's matches, lol

I have to admit, It was cool having my name on the bag, lol

Have a good week-

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Ok, I realize that I'm leavin myself open here, LMAO, however there are far more creative minds above me, so bearing in mind that I've got five brands in my bag(TMaG, Adams, Mizzy, SCOR with Scotty, Nike or YES putter), and even before the breast cancer covers, one, I never used OEM covers cuz I wasn't gettin paid to advertise for em, and two, I didn't like lookin down the line am seeing 4-5 other covers like mine, lol, where am I in classification, lol?

I realize that I have baggage, I just am curious as to how bad, lol

i started a thread a while back where i asked: why do we all seem to think the best players play beat up older clubs, a well hit driver, a trusty 3 wood etc etc....

except no one tries to emulate [i]those [/i]bags

Maybe there is a reason the best player at your club uses multiple brands....he uses only what works.

copy that guy!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Pretty cool idea. A few of my buddies and I talk about doing this because it would add fun to the season. It would just make it that much more fun.

Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1391968934' post='8629721']
Ok, I realize that I'm leavin myself open here, LMAO, however there are far more creative minds above me, so bearing in mind that I've got five brands in my bag(TMaG, Adams, Mizzy, SCOR with Scotty, Nike or YES putter), and even before the breast cancer covers, one, I never used OEM covers cuz I wasn't gettin paid to advertise for em, and two, I didn't like lookin down the line am seeing 4-5 other covers like mine, lol, where am I in classification, lol?

I realize that I have baggage, I just am curious as to how bad, lol

[/quote]

Love the Steelers cover! I've always wanted to put together a Steelers bag just to piss off all the titans fans around here. GO STEELERS

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1391969051' post='8629731']
i started a thread a while back where i asked: why do we all seem to think the best players play beat up older clubs, a well hit driver, a trusty 3 wood etc etc....

except no one tries to emulate [i]those [/i]bags

Maybe there is a reason the best player at your club uses multiple brands....he uses only what works.

copy that guy!
[/quote]

You can't beat a good swing. :-)

[quote name='square' timestamp='1391964172' post='8629259']
Back in the 40's and 50's country club (and public course) head professionals would sell only one brand of clubs, typically Wilson, Macgregor, or Spalding. The pro had his name on his brand's staff bag and it was on display when he gave driving range lessons. His club membership bought from him the brand he represented, sold. Come the 60's when Touring professional golf became widely popular, the playing pros carried on the club pro tradition of having their name on their golf bags.
Either way, name on the bag was always something a professional player earned. For most of those guys getting a name on the bag was a very big deal, a right of passage.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I wasn't around in the 50's and 60's but Id love to spend a week at a quality course back then.

Combine this thread, with http://nolayingup.com/2014/01/30/a-primer-on-how-to-act-like-a-pro-toursauce/
and you've got a season filled with entertainment

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png