Walking vs Riding

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435591896' post='11855072']
If carts sped up play, then every resort course in the country would be boasting [b]3 hour rounds[/b]. In fact, the opposite is true. You want a quick round? Walk your local course. You want a 5+ hour from hell? Hop in a cart at a well know resort. The slowest courses I've played locally are 80% riders. The fastest local courses are 80% walkers.

Yes, carts can speed up golf if you're a good player, and you're the first one out in the morning. Otherwise, it's basically a wash.
[/quote]

spot on my friend!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walk...I love it. There are times when I'm walking the course and my mind is clear, absent of thought, and I'm completely relaxed...no way that happens motoring around in a cart. I do ride periodically and still enjoy it, but not as much as walking.

I avoid courses where the norm is 4.5+ hr. rds. That's completely unacceptable and should not be tolerated by anyone. Last time I rode/4some, we were first off and done in 3 hrs. And by no means were we speed merchants, father/son pairing and the son was 12 and played a different tee box. Where would the two extra hrs. come from? It's mind boggling really!

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1396613211' post='9017693']
[quote name='Low Draw' timestamp='1396597112' post='9017283']
Recently a playing partner and myself have begun walking instead of taking a riding cart just for the extra exercise. Our pace is fairly fast not by choice but we are both ready golfers and it is just our natural pace. (2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours and 30 minutes a round) We thoroughly expected that we would get lapped by many players in carts but our results were quite the contrary. We played a round in 3 hours and 45 minutes and we were able to maintain a two hole gap between ourselves and a group of three using carts.

I know pace of play is a big issue in golf these days. How do my fellow wrxers choice to play do you prefer walking or riding? How do you feel about the issue?
[/quote]

I think that just proves that it's not riding or walking that makes for slow or fast play. People who are fast will be whether they ride or walk. Slow players are going to be slow no matter how they get around the course.

As for us, our course is probably 90% riding except for the winter months when no carts are allowed. So I ride. Pace of play is very, very quick here, normal Wednesday men's day rounds will typically top out at 3:30. I think if a person was walking during these rounds while the rest of the group was riding he would have a difficult time staying in position.
[/quote]

Sorry to quote my own, but looking back at this we had a situation that is applicable.

We had a young man join this spring. Tall, athletic, very fit, recently graduated D1 player. He can really step it out and move walking.

Our group usually has five players in four carts (most live on the course) it moves very quickly. We're usually the first of men's day groups out (and RSJ has made all the comments about everyone in their own cart) so normally no one in front. He kept up really well, but was obviously hustling.

He commented after the round that it was tough on him. He hit the ball a long way and was usually the furtherst, but he said that he never got time to catch his breath because by the time he got to his ball, everyone else had already hit.

He's the type of walker that could pretty much keep up with most anyone, but he does ride now when he plays with us.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1435759113' post='11868536']
Recently a playing partner and myself have begun walking instead of taking a riding cart just for the extra exercise. Our pace is fairly fast not by choice but we are both ready golfers and it is just our natural pace. (2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours and 30 minutes a round) We thoroughly expected that we would get lapped by many players in carts but our results were quite the contrary. We played a round in 3 hours and 45 minutes and we were able to maintain a two hole gap between ourselves and a group of three using carts.

I know pace of play is a big issue in golf these days. How do my fellow wrxers choice to play do you prefer walking or riding? How do you feel about the issue?
[/quote]

I think that just proves that it's not riding or walking that makes for slow or fast play. People who are fast will be whether they ride or walk. Slow players are going to be slow no matter how they get around the course.

As for us, our course is probably 90% riding except for the winter months when no carts are allowed. So I ride. Pace of play is very, very quick here, normal Wednesday men's day rounds will typically top out at 3:30. I think if a person was walking during these rounds while the rest of the group was riding he would have a difficult time staying in position.
[/quote]

Sorry to quote my own, but looking back at this we had a situation that is applicable.

We had a young man join this spring. Tall, athletic, very fit, recently graduated D1 player. He can really step it out and move walking.

Our group usually has five players in four carts (most live on the course) it moves very quickly. We're usually the first of men's day groups out (and RSJ has made all the comments about everyone in their own cart) so normally no one in front. He kept up really well, but was obviously hustling.

He commented after the round that it was tough on him. He hit the ball a long way and was usually the furtherst, but he said that he never got time to catch his breath because by the time he got to his ball, everyone else had already hit.

He's the type of walker that could pretty much keep up with most anyone, but he does ride now when he plays with us.
[/quote]

I would imagine that each player having an electric cart is extremely rare. I've played over 700 rounds of golf, and I don't recall seeing it once. I've walked hundreds of round with other players in carts (1 or 2), and I've never had a problem keeping up. Heck, in many cases I was usually the first on the green.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435763243' post='11868970']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would imagine that each player having an electric cart is extremely rare. I've played over 700 rounds of golf, and I don't recall seeing it once. I've walked hundreds of round with other players in carts (1 or 2), and I've never had a problem keeping up. Heck, in many cases I was usually the first on the green.
[/quote]
Agreed. Individual carts can easily speed up play, but once two people share a cart that advantage is lost.

I prefer walking... however, many of the courses in my area are not laid out for walkers.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435763243' post='11868970']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure it's rare. It's a private course so thats why it happens. The players in this group are particularly quick, especially so with the indiviualcarts. This guy was really moving to keep up. It's pretty impressive, but he was never close to being first on or to the green.

[quote name='Low Draw' timestamp='1396686983' post='9024999']
[quote name='KLeC' timestamp='1396632595' post='9020369']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1396632035' post='9020269']
OK, I'll be the outlier. I like to ride. Where I play if
you ride you do a lot of walking anyway.

Frankly, I like the cart. I can stick my phone, drinks,
ice, etc. on there. It has sand on each side for
filling in divots. It's just convenient.

Some guys, I admit, take it too far and won't walk
to their balls. I have a Garmin watch. If my buddy
parks by his ball first, I'll grab a couple clubs and
walk over to mine and play ready golf.

If I have a 40 yard pitch shot, I'll grab a club and my
putter and head over while my buddy takes the cart
to the green.

We don't use a cart to avoid walking, we use it to
avoid carrying. We're old, the weather is tough and
we like our creature comforts!
[/quote]

As much as we like to walk, we played Fighting Joe in the Shoals 3 times last week. After the first round, we said Uncle. They obviously don't promote walking on the Trail with 200 to 400 yards between some of the holes.
[/quote]

I have played many of the courses on the RTJ Trail and none are walker friendly. Fighting Joe is a very long course. If you want to feel exhausted after walking try playing Ross Bridges from the tips it is 8191 yards. It is a beautiful and immaculate course but it has a lot of hills and is stretched out. My group tried to play it from the tips on one hole you had to have a 260 carry just to hit the front of the fairway. I keep wondering when I will get my 300 yard carry due to my wrx membership.
[/quote] when you do . let me know.......I need it too !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

[quote name='YoYoJumbo' timestamp='1436541635' post='11923240']
Depends on who I'm with. I just started walking and enjoy it but one of my golf buddies absolutely refuses to walk so we ride when we play together.
[/quote]
I know the feeling. If we only have 3 playing, I will walk and let them ride together. I have no problem keeping us as they have to drive to two spots anyways.

I play in a lot of corporate/fundraiser tournaments. Most of them have 144 or 156 players on an 18 hole course. That means I am required to ride along with all the other tournament players. Many real estate development golf courses have such long walks between holes that it is nearly impossible to walk and not hold up play. However, given my druthers, I will always walk. Some of my greatest memories -- and finest rounds -- have come while walking and playing with a caddy.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1396999615' post='9049947']
Is it safe to assume, from the postings here, there is nothing inherently different relative to pace of play whether one walks or rides? Its about being prepared to address the ball when its your turn to hit. However, just what is the appropriate pace of play and how it relates duration of time to play? Related but different issues imo.

I read the postings that state 3 - 3 1/2 hr. rounds. That's great...all for it...if it works for you. The public courses I play may not even state what a recommended time per nine should be. Based on posted times when observed, my estimation is they are on average in the 2:10 - 2:15 range. I try to stay on a 2:00 hr. pace. That is a comfortable pace for me to play well and also enjoy myself. If you are following me (my group) on a 4 hour pace and your on the aforementioned 3 - 3 1/2 hr. pace, wouldn't it feel like we were playing slow? An extra half hour or more on the course can seem like an eternity.

I would encourage you (your group) to play through if after a hole or two of noticing you are clearly on a faster pace. But, what if the course (i.e groups in front) have settled in to my pace and not yours. In other words no real advanttage from my perspective to let you play through. I have payed my $, just like you. I am playing on a pace under the posted (or commonly accepted) time for the round. Again, am I playing to slow?

Not wanting to stir up any controversy here. I am curious on this topic and interested in others comments on this matter. And yes, I understand that it depends......on the course, terrain, weather, etc., etc. Therefore what is the appropriate pace of play, or duration of time for a round of golf?

Note: I pretty much assume that this topic has been broached multiple times and in multiple ways before. No, I didn't use tsearch function to check if, when or where. It was this topic, in this thread that piqued my curiosity. That why I posted here. If it is a problem.....delete it.
[/quote]

This was a problem for us. Being part of a private club comes with advantages but also gives way to having members who think they own the joint. I had a buddy who almost got in a fight with a fella who was 25 years older than us because he was pissed at our speed of play. His group essentially is addressing the golf ball before their cart stops moving. They can't even take time to look at distances, its weird. We played on a 3:15 minute pace and they were on our butts complaining. we had groups in front of us and couldn't let them play through, besides, these guys play with about 20 guys on a given morning and have a game covering all of the foursomes so if we let one through, all would want to go through. To the point, my response was that we were on a very respectable pace and had we been on a 4+ hour pace, I could understand their problem but you will never make everyone happy.

[quote name='vsteel1991' timestamp='1438191710' post='12042332']
i've been able to walk a lot this summer because of the mild summer here in ohio but the last few weeks it's been so humid that i take a cart. if i can walk and be comfortable i'll always walk but if it's just too hot i take a cart
[/quote]

Already walked 3 times this week and we've had our highest temps here in South LA. Its been brutal and I definitely thought I may lose it for a moment a couple of times. It also takes me a while to recover at night and I have to drink a ton of water. Better than going to the gym and my Clicgear 8.0 has definitely made it easier.

[quote name='Zephyr' timestamp='1438228663' post='12045860']
[quote name='vsteel1991' timestamp='1438191710' post='12042332']
i've been able to walk a lot this summer because of the mild summer here in ohio but the last few weeks it's been so humid that i take a cart. if i can walk and be comfortable i'll always walk but if it's just too hot i take a cart
[/quote]

Already walked 3 times this week and we've had our highest temps here in South LA. Its been brutal and I definitely thought I may lose it for a moment a couple of times. It also takes me a while to recover at night and I have to drink a ton of water. Better than going to the gym and my Clicgear 8.0 has definitely made it easier.
[/quote]

I find that I use my umbrella more on hot/sunny days than rainy days. Having your own shade allows one to take off your hat, making it feel a good 10 degrees cooler.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I walk for the fitness but some courses insist on carts. Carts are quick to a single ball but alot of waiting for the second ball. If everyone had thier own cart it would be quicker

I'd love to see courses offer single rider golf bicycles. I've seen pictures of them, but never been on a course that offered them. It would be a win-win in my opinion, allowing players to get to their ball quicker, while still getting some exercise.

The-Golf-Bike-4.jpg

I prefer to walk but unfortunately many of the public courses I play are not built to walk (very looong distances between holes). Probably my walk to ride ratio now is 30/70 where as a few years back it was 95/5. Man I feel lazy :(

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

I walk for the fitness but some courses insist on carts. Carts are quick to a single ball but alot of waiting for the second ball. If everyone had thier own cart it would be quicker

I'd love to see courses offer single rider golf bicycles. I've seen pictures of them, but never been on a course that offered them. It would be a win-win in my opinion, allowing players to get to their ball quicker, while still getting some exercise.

The-Golf-Bike-4.jpg

Wow what a great idea.

but some of the hills here would probably kill more golfers.

6009226160_aac62035ca_b.jpg

The-Golf-Bike-4.jpg

Wow what a great idea.

Lol. Simple, build a golf course on a mountain similar to a ski slope, and install a lift. 'All down hill!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Generally prefer to walk. I make the exception on certain courses that are clearly not designed for walking with long distances between green and tee.
When it gets really hot and humid will usually ride if I'm playing during the hottest park of the day.

Callaway GBB 9° UST Proforce V2
TEE XCG7 15°Aerotech SS65
Adams XTD Ti 20° & 23° MRC Tensei Blue
Callaway XR Steele Head 5-A

Tryouts now open
Ping Karsten TR Pal or Yes! Tracy or Odyssey White Hot XG7 or...

The-Golf-Bike-4.jpg

Wow what a great idea.

Lol. Simple, build a golf course on a mountain similar to a ski slope, and install a lift. 'All down hill!

We actually have a course whose back nine is mostly downhill and you need a lift to bring you and all your baggage back up to the clubhouse. Kind of fun but the course strikes me as a Mickey Mouse affair. Too many forced shots.

Shambles