Walking vs Riding

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1396632035' post='9020269']
OK, I'll be the outlier. I like to ride. Where I play if
you ride you do a lot of walking anyway.

Frankly, I like the cart. I can stick my phone, drinks,
ice, etc. on there. It has sand on each side for
filling in divots. It's just convenient.

Some guys, I admit, take it too far and won't walk
to their balls. I have a Garmin watch. If my buddy
parks by his ball first, I'll grab a couple clubs and
walk over to mine and play ready golf.

If I have a 40 yard pitch shot, I'll grab a club and my
putter and head over while my buddy takes the cart
to the green.

We don't use a cart to avoid walking, we use it to
avoid carrying. We're old, the weather is tough and
we like our creature comforts!
[/quote]

to the green.

[/quote]
I'm with you on this brother. I'd give my left nut to be able to walk 18 holes, but various injuries, and the subsequent arthritis has robbed me of the ability. If I knew things were gonna be like this 20-30 years ago, I might of chosen to play different sports growing up...but probably not. I look at other members who are old enough to be my father walking, and I feel kind of embarrassed. Every once in a while I'll take a Sunday bag and half a dozen clubs, and give it a whirl. The result is always bad. The game suffers, and I'm out of commission for days after. Oh well...at least I can still play. The End.

[quote name='cweee' timestamp='1397557635' post='9094473']
For the walkers...

1. Any recommendations on a light carry bag?

2. Any recommendations on a driving range bag? (ideal when i play my course at 6 pm, I play several holes, and I practice using 4, 5 clubs only)

Thanks!
[/quote]Go to the bag forum and ask, or look around.

Long story short. . .any of the well known carry bags has strengths and weaknesses. Sun Mountain 3.5, Ogio, Ping Hoofer or Ping 4 under are all good. I use Ping bags. The major issue with Pings is that the grips get tangled in the bottom of the bag.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

As was well said before, if you're on pace, everything else is irrelevant. Personally, walking is my choice and has been for many years. It's been surprising that through about 10 rounds this year, I've seen more people walking than ever before. Just because you're walking doesn't mean your pace has to be slow. Last week we walked a 5 mile course in just over 2:15 and it wasn't the best round from a scoring perspective. We chat like teenage girls as we walk and then split to play our shots. Ready golf is the norm, unless it's a tee ball following a birdie. The cart designs now are so functional and fold into basically nothing.

Last year we walked in excess of 400 miles golfing and you can't beat the benefit of calories burned. You don't feel guilty having a pint or two post round.

Walk 95%. Only use a cart if its too hot. 18 holes for me is 5 miles and I play 3 days a week. Also, much cheaper than blowing $60 bucks a week on a cart.

TaylorMade Qi10LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus Red 60
TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 70
PING G430 19* - Tour Chrome 2.0
PING i230 4-PW - True Temper Dynamic Gold 120
PING S159 - 49* S, 54* S, 58* H - True Temper Dynamic Gold 120
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport
Pro V1x

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1397750976' post='9112157']
I think you should be able to turn in your receipts from walking rounds for health insurance discounts. Not all exercise occurs in a stinky germ-infested gym.
[/quote]Just walked/carried a 9 hole round today, and that's good excercise. Contrary, I dislike gyms for the same reason you do, germ infested, filthy habit individuals. It only take a few to ruin it for everybody. I have seen so many gross things going on in community health clubs, to gross to even mention. Walking in the fresh air is good for people. I only like to do 9 walking, i'm approaching 60 and need to lose 20 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should be able to turn in your receipts from walking rounds for health insurance discounts. Not all exercise occurs in a stinky germ-infested gym.
[/quote]

Mall walkers in the midwest, FL and AZ sure would like that.

Unlike your experience and Tom's, I never found my gym stinky. Sure there are germs, but germs are everywhere. Heck hospitials are ladened with them. Anyhow, I've been visiting a gym of sorts, multiple times per week since HS, and over 60. Never got even a cold; for that experiences vary. Course, I do not touch my face while at the gym, and always wash my hands right afterwards.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='cweee' timestamp='1397557635' post='9094473']
For the walkers...

1. Any recommendations on a light carry bag?

2. Any recommendations on a driving range bag? (ideal when i play my course at 6 pm, I play several holes, and I practice using 4, 5 clubs only)

Thanks!
[/quote]

I prefer to walk as much as possible, and often play with a set-up like this: Driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 4-hybrid, 6, 8-iron, pw, sw, putter. Sometimes the 7-iron or 60* wedge goes in the bag.

My Sun Mountain Swift-X is nice and light, and easy to carry.

After playing with a Rapture mini-driver yesterday, there will be plenty of times that the Driver and 3-wood come out, and the Rapture goes in.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1399313756' post='9236255']
[/quote]

Mall walkers in the midwest, FL and AZ sure would like that.

Unlike your experience and Tom's, I never found my gym stinky. Sure there are germs, but germs are everywhere. Heck hospitials are ladened with them. Anyhow, I've been visiting a gym of sorts, multiple times per week since HS, and over 60. Never got even a cold; for that experiences vary. Course, I do not touch my face while at the gym, and always wash my hands right afterwards.
[/quote]
Too many experiences with cold and flu at gyms. My immune system is compromised. I no longer get sick avoiding the gym and eating out at restaurants.
Heck, give me a pedometer that I can upload the data to the insurer. It would work.

I prefer to walk because that's what I've always done. I find riding in a cart jarring, for lack of a better word. If a cart is required, I take every opportunity to grab a few clubs and walk to my ball and turn the cart over to a playing partner.

There are some great points in this thread, especially about how golf courses seem to be designed with riders in mind. The distance from green to tee is just unreasonable. The two courses that I play regularly both have at least one green to tee walk that is almost 10 minutes.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1397556113' post='9094421']

to the green.

[/quote]

to the green.

[/quote]
I'm with you on this brother. I'd give my left nut to be able to walk 18 holes, but various injuries, and the subsequent arthritis has robbed me of the ability. If I knew things were gonna be like this 20-30 years ago, I might of chosen to play different sports growing up...but probably not. I look at other members who are old enough to be my father walking, and I feel kind of embarrassed. Every once in a while I'll take a Sunday bag and half a dozen clubs, and give it a whirl. The result is always bad. The game suffers, and I'm out of commission for days after. Oh well...at least I can still play. The End.
[/quote]

Well ... Just found out that our Proshop is willing to help me out by taking a power cart out to #10 for me. Walk/carry 9 - ride 9. Great!

Should have added a vote button for "depends on the course." For me if I know a course well, then I almost always choose to walk with a push cart. If I don't know it well, then I like the riding cart option to help move around an unfamiliar layout-- like to drive up and peak over hills and around corners etc.

Fortunately in Western NY where I live, walking is allowed on every course I play except for 1. Walking at that particular course is a privilege only available to members, and frankly that course would be a pita to walk because of layout. There's another one where you're allowed to walk the front but must get a cart to play the back-- again due to layout.

For those that downplay the health values of walking, don't kid yourself just because you may not be sweating. Walking has innumerable benefits, even for the very fit. Whereas sitting is terrible for your health, even for the extremely well fit. Since most of us likely sit way too many hours per day for our jobs, then I for one will take any excuse I can to get up and walk around, and that includes my golf.

• 1 month later...

I prefer to walk... always play better. Not only the continual motion but the mental part of walking helps me. I think I get to involved in the other persons game when I share a cart, getting sidetracked from my own. I still hit the ball pretty well but my course management/ scoring always seems to tank when I ride. I just pick up a Clicgear push cart this year and really like that, might make walking even faster as it's easier to manage your clubs/ gear and no on and off your back.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

I'm a walker. I've come to find that getting to my ball in a cart just throws my game off as compared to walking. Get more time to relax and enjoy my surroundings when walking also.

Ping G430 10K 9* w/ Ventus Blue Velocore 5R
Ping G430 3W w/ Helium R
Ping G430 5W w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 3 hybrid w/ Paderson S
Ping G430 4 hybrid w/Paderson R
Ping G430 5 hybrid w/ Paderson R
Ping G430 7-P, Paderson R shafts

Cleveland CBX2 Zip Core 48*, RTX Zipcore 54* & 58*
LAB DF3
TaylorMade SpeedSoft Ink Blue

[quote name='Bstein74' timestamp='1403534096' post='9557245']
I'm a walker. I've come to find that getting to my ball in a cart just throws my game off as compared to walking. Get more time to relax and enjoy my surroundings when walking also.
[/quote]

Totally agree, plus there is the added exercise benefit. After a long winter, walking the golf course all summer usually drops 5-10 pounds off my waste line. No, it's not the workout that running/ biking is but it's better than nothing and too many people are getting NOTHING for exercise. My father-in-law has had some health problems as of late and likes to complain about the cost of golf. I told him he should get a push cart and walk most of the time, save some money on the cart lease and get some decent exercise to improve your health. He has been thinking it over for 3 years now but will probably not make the switch, some habits are hard to break I guess.

Walking can cause some hard feelings between walkers/ riders. I don't like playing in tournaments where everyone feels like they have to ride, it throws me off my game and I never score as well. I have chose to walk in tournaments too, and while I score better, it seems to annoy most of the people I play with and whoever we're paired with. You are just seen as being defiant or not wanting to socialize if you're the only one walking. Tournament organizers push it because it's revenue and they think it speeds up play... which it doesn't. I keep up with riders when I walk, sometimes distances between holes seems faster with a cart but it all evens out. If you walk at a brisk pace, a foursome walking will be just as fast as a foursome riding.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

Absolutely, nothing better then walking with your Family on a Course with a Push/Pull Cart except carrying your bag that's a Great time as well......Our Boys(12&14) both have Clicgear 2.0 Carts I have a BagBoy Quad and the Wifey has a BagBoy Swivel we also have a couple of BagBoy 3 wheeled Carts. I'm 50 and the Wife is 44yrs......There are so many Course's that don't allow Push Carts I wish all Course's had at least a couple of days a year just for Push Cart's........something about walking a Course with a Cart that is so nice it allows you to really enjoy the Game and the Course more I think......We always have all our Bags and Carts with us just incase we ever decide to. Take it Easy, Mike " Go Play "

• 11 months later...

Very interesting that the majority in this group prefer to walk. The national average is between 5-10%. I enjoyed walking when I was young. Walkers definitely slow down the pace of play. Certainly guys in carts can be slower than walkers, but overall I would say this is true. You need to be in great shape to walk and not have the walking wear down your fine motor skills by the time the back nine rolls around. Fatigue is certainly a factor for most walkers whether they admit it or not. Yes, I can see the benefits of walking, but I'm also honest enough to recognize and admit its shortcomings as well.

[quote name='Spirit76' timestamp='1435472095' post='11848392']
Very interesting that the majority in this group prefer to walk. The national average is between 5-10%. I enjoyed walking when I was young. Walkers definitely slow down the pace of play. Certainly guys in carts can be slower than walkers, but overall I would say this is true. You need to be in great shape to walk and not have the walking wear down your fine motor skills by the time the back nine rolls around. Fatigue is certainly a factor for most walkers whether they admit it or not. Yes, I can see the benefits of walking, but I'm also honest enough to recognize and admit its shortcomings as well.
[/quote]
I don't think walking slows play, especially if two people are sharing a cart. I recently played 9 with two others who were riding. The only time they ever got ahead of me was between holes, which may not have happened had I not been tending the flag until everyone holes out.

If carts sped up play, then every resort course in the country would be boasting [b]3 hour rounds[/b]. In fact, the opposite is true. You want a quick round? Walk your local course. You want a 5+ hour from hell? Hop in a cart at a well know resort. The slowest courses I've played locally are 80% riders. The fastest local courses are 80% walkers.

Yes, carts can speed up golf if you're a good player, and you're the first one out in the morning. Otherwise, it's basically a wash.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0