Manual de la Torre Method

upanddown

Yea that's why I thought it was interesting. More than one way to get things done. I'm a big fan of manny but the hands back really makes me lift and snatch. Swinging towards the target though was a revelation and still trying t figure out how to get that done correctly. My shoulders totally take over and I end up pulling left. Not giving up tho, the mental bits of these is what I feel is most helpful in simplifying the action or the idea of LETTING the body positions happen instead of trying to MAKE them happen.

I'm having the same problem with the takeaway. "Lift and snatch" describes it perfectly.

Try swinging a weight on a cord back and forth. When you can keep the cord taught from waist high to waist high you will have the feeling of what it means to swing the club. Then apply that feeling to your back swing.

There used to be a training aid called the whippy tempo master. A golf club with an ultra flexible shaft. Also good for learnin g the difference between swinging the club back and levering it.

Steve

Just a little thought. It's impossible to lash at the ball If you swing the club with your arms. The arms as Manuel describes them are from your shoulder to your elbow.

Correct you are but the problem I was addressing had to do with the back swing, not the forward swing. We use both hands to swing the club back, not the arms. When we use our hands there is the potential for levering the club back which we must avoid by being very conscious that it is a swinging motion.

Steve

Yea that's why I thought it was interesting. More than one way to get things done. I'm a big fan of manny but the hands back really makes me lift and snatch. Swinging towards the target though was a revelation and still trying t figure out how to get that done correctly. My shoulders totally take over and I end up pulling left. Not giving up tho, the mental bits of these is what I feel is most helpful in simplifying the action or the idea of LETTING the body positions happen instead of trying to MAKE them happen.

I'm having the same problem with the takeaway. "Lift and snatch" describes it perfectly.

Try swinging a weight on a cord back and forth. When you can keep the cord taught from waist high to waist high you will have the feeling of what it means to swing the club. Then apply that feeling to your back swing.

There used to be a training aid called the whippy tempo master. A golf club with an ultra flexible shaft. Also good for learnin g the difference between swinging the club back and levering it.

Steve

I've done this, flexi shaft, penknife/bandanna, real club and know the feeling when it already has momentum i.e. Starting the swing from ahead of the ball. Really easy to feel the clubhead swinging back and forth...my problem is to get that swinging back feel from a static address.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Steve

I've done this, flexi shaft, penknife/bandanna, real club and know the feeling when it already has momentum i.e. Starting the swing from ahead of the ball. Really easy to feel the clubhead swinging back and forth...my problem is to get that swinging back feel from a static address.

Getting the club moving from a static position is a universal problem for golfers. For that reason avoid the static position. In my case I never ground the club behind the ball. I'm always feeling the weight of the club in my hands and in some kind of motion before I take it back. Perhaps that's not for you but what you do need is some kind of trigger. A little forward press might do the trick. perhaps just a final firming of the hands on the grip. Something to keep you out of your own head as you start the club back. Failing that, just a lot more reps. If you don't get the club swinging back it will be much harder to make it swing forward.

Steve

Steve

Getting the club moving from a static position is a universal problem for golfers. For that reason avoid the static position. In my case I never ground the club behind the ball. I'm always feeling the weight of the club in my hands and in some kind of motion before I take it back. Perhaps that's not for you but what you do need is some kind of trigger. A little forward press might do the trick. perhaps just a final firming of the hands on the grip. Something to keep you out of your own head as you start the club back. Failing that, just a lot more reps. If you don't get the club swinging back it will be much harder to make it swing forward.

Steve

Watch some footage of Jack Nicklaus, I really think that is one of the keys to his success. He had a nice relaxed looking waggle and never grounded the club, sort of rocked back and forth a bit, cocked his chin to the right and swung it back. His swing was really not that violent, except maybe with a driver when he was young, look at some footage of him swinging an iron in the 1970's or 80's. Heck even recent footage now that he is older is great, his swing is just a bit shorter.

IMO, Jack really swung the club nicely, I know all the instruction at the time talked about how he used his legs, but in reality he swung his arms very nicely.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Steve

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Sometimes I fiddle with lagging the clubhead from the beginning, kind of like Bobby jones, etc and that really helps me feel the clubhead right off. It's just sometimes I feel as if that in itself is a manipulation and the arc gets compromised.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

There is a corrective drill that Rodd Slater shared with me to address starting the swing with your shoulders.

Get perpendicular to a wall. Get in the top of your backswing position (without a club) so that your hands are against the wall (butt of the left hand flush for right handers). NOW, start your swing with your shoulders and notice where your hands go. They go horizontal across the wall first and than eventually down. Instant OTT and club swinging left.

The correction to get the club swinging on the arc and towards the target is to get the hands to initially start to move straight DOWN the wall.

Again, you can notice this with the slow motion swing drill in the book. Remember that this drill is a CORRECTIVE action designed to get you recognize the proper movement of the club on the arc toward the target, NOT a swing thought. As Manny says in the book, don't mistake swinging the entire club toward the target with the upper arms as swinging the arms.

When I do this drill the only way to get my club head to the ball square is to make my shoulders very passive. Recently my best strikes have had the feeling that my shoulders are still coiled while my arms are swinging the club toward the target. Anyone have similar experiences.

There is a corrective drill that Rodd Slater shared with me to address starting the swing with your shoulders.

Get perpendicular to a wall. Get in the top of your backswing position (without a club) so that your hands are against the wall (butt of the left hand flush for right handers). NOW, start your swing with your shoulders and notice where your hands go. They go horizontal across the wall first and than eventually down. Instant OTT and club swinging left.

The correction to get the club swinging on the arc and towards the target is to get the hands to initially start to move straight DOWN the wall.

Again, you can notice this with the slow motion swing drill in the book. Remember that this drill is a CORRECTIVE action designed to get you recognize the proper movement of the club on the arc toward the target, NOT a swing thought. As Manny says in the book, don't mistake swinging the entire club toward the target with the upper arms as swinging the arms.

When I do this drill the only way to get my club head to the ball square is to make my shoulders very passive. Recently my best strikes have had the feeling that my shoulders are still coiled while my arms are swinging the club toward the target. Anyone have similar experiences.

I think that's a similar feel to keeping your back to the target as long as you can. It's a good feel to help drop your hands down. My prob is like everything I overdo it. Today I did the swing club to the target but only thinking of the target and shifting my weight back and forth and keeping hands and arms passive. What actually happened is I felt I could get my body get into a strong position to swing the club to the target with my arms without using my shoulders and coming OTT. Quite amazing actually and effortless!

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Sort of off-topic, but I wonder what Manny thought about Speed Golf. Some of my best ball striking days have been when I played as fast as I could, with the focus on target being the only swing consideration. In fact, sometimes I play better when I swing before my conscious mind is 'ready', thereby short-circuiting the analytical side of my brain. I've noticed that I swing through the ball (not at it) much more this way.

Sort of off-topic, but I wonder what Manny thought about Speed Golf. Some of my best ball striking days have been when I played as fast as I could, with the focus on target being the only swing consideration. In fact, sometimes I play better when I swing before my conscious mind is 'ready', thereby short-circuiting the analytical side of my brain. I've noticed that I swing through the ball (not at it) much more this way.

When I took my lesson with Manuel we worked on acquiring the target, addressing, than swinging. No lingering. He would actually tell me to "go" as soon as he felt I was set up. Perhaps some of this was to prevent me from thinking too much during the lesson, but having an efficient, non-nonsense, PSR is consistent with his methodology and something we worked on. As we know he is a huge proponent of no tension in the swing and certainly not standing over the ball helps greatly.

This guy isn't hanging about or labouring his routine, and it doesn't appear to be hurting him...

That is basically it. In my situation we added acquiring the target and stepping into the ball using his aiming method (due to my poor aiming) and than one look and go. I still use it today. Very efficient and comfortable.

Haha. I am doing the exact opposite. On one the few body 'symptoms' that MDLT talks about is the rear foot being perpendicular by the time the club is parallel to the ground on follow thru. This is to happen as a result of the body being free to follow the swing. For me this means everything moves earlier in the downswing especially shoulders so as to pull the right side thru. It feels like Annika's move (I wish). This is consistent with Montes input to me that r arm and r shoulder should move forward together.

So 2 conclusions. A) what we think we need to do feel wise is all about where we are to begin with (nothing new here) and b) the club being swung is the key and primary variable and learning to let the body respond to better arcs is not trivial. In other words the lead dynamic is to get the club on a good swinging arc and then see what the body does in response. (Not new but new to me)

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

When I took my lesson with Manuel we worked on acquiring the target, addressing, than swinging. No lingering. He would actually tell me to "go" as soon as he felt I was set up. Perhaps some of this was to prevent me from thinking too much during the lesson, but having an efficient, non-nonsense, PSR is consistent with his methodology and something we worked on. As we know he is a huge proponent of no tension in the swing and certainly not standing over the ball helps greatly.

That makes total sense to me. This swing is about freedom of motion.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

This guy isn't hanging about or labouring his routine, and it doesn't appear to be hurting him...

That is basically it. In my situation we added acquiring the target and stepping into the ball using his aiming method (due to my poor aiming) and than one look and go. I still use it today. Very efficient and comfortable.

Yes, love that clip of Mr. De la Torre.

My PSR is faster than that when I'm playing my best, more like Josh Brodaway:

Anywho, nice to know that Manuel preferred to play quickly. Thanks.

The one question I have about MDLT ideas is he says he's not such a big fan of forward shaft lean - he seems to say he thinks the shaft and hands should be pretty vertical at impact.

That seems strange to me. Can any one shed more light on this?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Been working my way through his thread for the past three weeks or so and have been implementing the MLDT swing to the best of my ability, without doubt it has been the most enjoyable, stress free golf that I've been able to play for ages so thanks to all the contributors..

I've found however that the hands back, arms through thought doesn't really work for me, all I've concentrated on is swinging the whole club back on an arc and then swinging the entire club through on an arc to the target.. My head is normally jam packed with swing thoughts so to simply be able to concentrate on the single idea of swinging the entire club is very liberating..

I've probably lost half a club of distance compare with my usual 'hit the ball as hard as I can' method but consistency is drastically better! Hopefully my distance returns as I stick with and improve the swing..

As I mentioned the 'arms through' doesn't really resonate with me compared with the simple intention of just swinging the whole club through to the target, I guess I'm not losing out here?

Thanks...

Been working my way through his thread for the past three weeks or so and have been implementing the MLDT swing to the best of my ability, without doubt it has been the most enjoyable, stress free golf that I've been able to play for ages so thanks to all the contributors..

I've found however that the hands back, arms through thought doesn't really work for me, all I've concentrated on is swinging the whole club back on an arc and then swinging the entire club through on an arc to the target.. My head is normally jam packed with swing thoughts so to simply be able to concentrate on the single idea of swinging the entire club is very liberating..

I've probably lost half a club of distance compare with my usual 'hit the ball as hard as I can' method but consistency is drastically better! Hopefully my distance returns as I stick with and improve the swing..

As I mentioned the 'arms through' doesn't really resonate with me compared with the simple intention of just swinging the whole club through to the target, I guess I'm not losing out here?

Thanks...

The hands and arms are what you use to complete the task. Swinging the club on an arc is what you're trying to do, so I think you probably have the right idea.

The one question I have about MDLT ideas is he says he's not such a big fan of forward shaft lean - he seems to say he thinks the shaft and hands should be pretty vertical at impact.

If you are simply just swinging the club to the target why would you need to think of shaft lean?

My guess is that with a pure swinging motion your hands will end up slightly ahead of the ball at impact, especially wit irons but you should never force that position.

Just swing the club to the target, and brush the grass. The ball will get in the way. Thinking forward shaft lean is a forced position.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If you are simply just swinging the club to the target why would you need to think of shaft lean?

My guess is that with a pure swinging motion your hands will end up slightly ahead of the ball at impact, especially wit irons but you should never force that position.

Just swing the club to the target, and brush the grass. The ball will get in the way. Thinking forward shaft lean is a forced position.

The reason I ask is I am right at the verge of compressing the ball consistently. That kind of impact feels like it has some shaft lean to it, divot in front of ball, etc. That feeling is my drug of choice. But it feels like my implementation of MDLT (which is still a work in progress) doesn't produce this as often.

So I am trying to figure out why. I really like MDLT approach but even more I like compressing the ball. Thus the question. I guess theoretically the question is "what am I trying to do with the club and why?" and if part of my answer is "trying to compress the ball" then how to reconcile this (which Implies shaft lean in my understanding) with MDLT?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

The reason I ask is I am right at the verge of compressing the ball consistently. That kind of impact feels like it has some shaft lean to it, divot in front of ball, etc. That feeling is my drug of choice. But it feels like my implementation of MDLT (which is still a work in progress) doesn't produce this as often.

So I am trying to figure out why. I really like MDLT approach but even more I like compressing the ball. Thus the question. I guess theoretically the question is "what am I trying to do with the club and why?" and if part of my answer is "trying to compress the ball" then how to reconcile this (which Implies shaft lean in my understanding) with MDLT?

One thing that helped me is something he said, on the DVD or in the book. I found that I had thin, scrapey contact swinging the club to the target. He stated that the target was on the ground, which it is, of course. That, and the image of the ball flying very low (from the book), helped when I had this issue. It took a change of intent.

When I first started the MDLT swing I lost a bit of distance. About a club worth. However, The distance returned and even increased. This isn't muscle memory but rather a feeling of power that came the more comfortable I got.

As far as shaft lean goes Mr De la Torre had a club that had several club heads attached on the shaft. In the video he shows all of the club heads arriving at Impact at the same time.

Rather than shaft lean I think of the "coil"that is naturally stored up in the swing. That coil will naturally release, I think, after the ball has been hit.

The one question I have about MDLT ideas is he says he's not such a big fan of forward shaft lean - he seems to say he thinks the shaft and hands should be pretty vertical at impact. That seems strange to me. Can any one shed more light on this?

I don't recall in any of my research where Manuel says that he is not a fan of shaft lean. I could be wrong for sure, so I think it is worth pursuing to see if you can find where you read/heard this.

What I do recall is that he is not a proponent of trying to "create shaft lean", but that it will be a natural result of the swinging motion.

Rodd's post here might be an indirect discussion of shaft lean.

http://slatergolf.blogspot.com/2016/02/3-forward-on-grass.html

One thing that helped me is something he said, on the DVD or in the book. I found that I had thin, scrapey contact swinging the club to the target. He stated that the target was on the ground, which it is, of course. That, and the image of the ball flying very low (from the book), helped when I had this issue. It took a change of intent.

Thx. That helps. I know when I have to hit it low under some branches I make great contact. So this makes sense. 'A change of intent' ...very good. I was thinking I should start thinking a little more about the shot itself and a low shot is a great place to start.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Thx. That helps. I know when I have to hit it low under some branches I make great contact. So this makes sense. 'A change of intent' ...very good. I was thinking I should start thinking a little more about the shot itself and a low shot is a great place to start.

You sound like me, in that trying to produce a different ballflight creates noticeable changes in the way my swing works and looks. For example, I could try to manufacture forward lean until the cows come home, but I can create more, and do it more easily if I think "really low", or "really low cut".