• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1400010663' post='9288253']
[quote name='PooterMcStabbin' timestamp='1399661378' post='9264569']
In Connecticut:
Fenwick $20 for 9.. really cool course.
Shennecossett: $1500 membership abuut $35 for 18. Nice Muni
[/quote]

You forgot to mention that Shennecossett is also a Donald Ross! Great golf course
[/quote]I caught that in post 29. ;)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Hi :-)
I am a Dane but the best golfcourse I have played is Ganton Golf Club i North Yorkshire England. It is bad bad bad bad mean course right from tee to cup.
I get kicked in my ... every time I go there and I wouldent miss it for the world, see you 12/9 :-)
http://www.gantongolfclub.com/

In Denmark it is the Scandinavian, waw there is 2 courses and they are really good both of them
http://thescandinavian.dk/

Sticks and a putter ;-)

I'll give a plug to the Northern Nevada market for Empire Ranch in Carson City. After some tough financial years with bad weather and poor agronomy leading to unplayable courses, the three nines have recovered to very playable conditions! Hoping for the best for them in the future, offering some nice two-for-one deals this spring '14.

Very sporty nines with nice chipping areas, set along Carson River flood basin at the site of a Comstock era mill, located off of hole one of the "Red" nine (upper right of photo). The trees along the Carson River are brilliant in the fall!

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 70 Limited White X
Titleist TS2 15* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 Limited White X 
Titleist TS2 21* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 Limited White X 

Titleist 718 CB 4-P DGS300
Titleist Vokey raw SM6, 50-8F, 56-12F, SM7 60-08M S300
Cameron Select Newport 2 with SS Flatso 1.0
Pro V1X

See, this is the difference between fishers and golfers. Here we are sharing our hidden gems on this forum, but if you go to a flyfishing forum and try this...crickets. In fact, it's considered poor form for flyfishers to disclose their hidden gems. For those who both fish and golf, it's hard to reconcile this disparity.

Any of the Minneapolis Park Board owned and operated courses. fantastic layouts with a ton of history and wildlife. Some tricky holes as well but nothing gimmicky. pure golf, better peope

SLDR 11.25* dymatch 2.0 st M5
Stage 2 tp 15.5 hyb matrix 9m3
Stage 2 tp 18.0 hyb matrix 9m3
BSG j40 CB 4-PW C-taper S+
J15 black 52, 56, 60 C-taper S+
Ghost Spider S

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1399660412' post='9264485']
Rundown course that I like to play in metro Detroit is Richmond Forest. Any given day the greens fees are less than $20 and the layout of the course is fantastic. With some lengthening and a little tlc I am convinced they could hold a big tournament. It is kind of in a town but off the beaten path at the same time. It is just far enough away that a lot of golfers in my area won't travel to play it. The green complexes are challenging and there is a great mix of holes out there with a 630 yard par 5 to challenge even the longest hitters. The practice facility is quite nice except that the range balls are mostly old top flite and such.
[/quote]

+1 Richmond Forrest is truly a hidden gem.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

A few standout in the Bay Area, for different reasons:

California Club (South SF) - Doesn't get the hype of SF Club, nor the attention of Monterey courses, but it holds it's own and is a test of skill.
Del Monte (Monterey) - Super old school track, tiny greens, great place to play and worth the money.
Metro Links (Oakland, by airport) - Always windy but greens are always in great shape for a muni.

My mom lives in Greeneville, TN. When i go to visit her i always play Graysburg Hills. Rees Jones course, very nice layout and they have 27 holes. During the week you can play all 27 for $35. I haven't played the Chimney Top 9 yet.

For the money it might be the best course i have ever played.

[url="http://graysburghillsgolf.com/"]http://graysburghillsgolf.com/[/url]

Bald Mountain Course at Rumbling Bald Resort. Designed by William B. Lewis and built in 1968, was the first created at Rumbling Bald. This challenging course is complemented by gorgeous mountain views and the towering rock faced cliffs it was named for. With its well guarded greens and tight fairways, golfers must be precise with their drives and approach shots. A popular course for all ages and abilities, Bald Mountain receives high marks from Golf Digest readers. The course has four sets of tees and measures 6,283 yards, has a course rating of 70.9 and a slope rating of 128.

One of the highlights during your round is the par 3 16th hole. Scenes from the hit movie [i]"Dirty Dancing"[/i] where filmed here.

http://www.rumblingbald.com/golf/bald-mountain-course

[attachment=2225443:full RBR_b_web.jpg][attachment=2225441:BM_17.jpg][attachment=2225439:BaldMountain_web.jpg]

Sassamon Trace in Natick, MA. This is a nine hole course with 5 par threes 3 par fours and 1 par five. Wind always makes the course a challenge. if your miss is right you are in trouble. last year they brought in two young guys who have turned the condition of this course around. it is in great shape.

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

[quote name='sgniwder99' timestamp='1399693257' post='9267195']
Mystery Valley right outside Atlanta. Definitely beloved by locals, and for good reason.

[/quote]

I grew up on Lee Whatley Drive just off Shadow Rock and my maternal grandparents lived on Shadow Rock closer down toward Mystery Valley (close enough to get a dozen or so golf balls skipping through other's backyards into their backyard each year). We used to wander that course all the time, ahd had a friend who got a key (found? stole?) and would open up the old (early/mid 80s) Coke vending machines and steal drinks. We did this for years and years. I have no doubt that numerous regular players/course management knew we were doing this, knew who we were...and just let us do it because we would occassionally buy something and caused no disruption to many of the regulars who loved talking to us or that we were related to. Our neighbor on Lee Whatley Drive, Buddy King, played there 3-4 times a week...same man who stabbed himself with a syringe and injected lighter fluid into his thumb while regripping some clubs in his basement!

Mystery Valley will always have a special "Hidden Gem" place in my heart...and believe it or not I never have played a full round there!!!

home-3.jpg

Cullen Golf Course. http://cullengolfclub.co.uk/

from Golf Monthly Oct 2004

"In the far north eastern corner of Scotland is a course like no other. Cullen in Moray—at just 4,597 yards and par 63 – is the epitome of ‘quirky’. Cullen is holiday golf in a holiday setting. The idyllic bay and white sprawling beach form majestic surroundings for a tiny links founded as long ago as 1870 and designed by none other than Old Tom Morris.

The unbridled thrill of the course lies in its par 3s. A quartet of short holes from the 11th to the 14th is the highlight of back nine and each features Cullen’s signature landmark – the 80ft. Boar Crag. The 12th and 13th are the most exiting, playing directly over this rusty red colossus, which completely blocks the greens from view. "

......in the picture the 13th tee is in the foreground, next to the 12th green. The 13th green is about 30 yards behind the rocky outcrop on the side of the hill.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

In Connecticut:
[/quote]

You forgot to mention that Shennecossett is also a Donald Ross! Great golf course
[/quote]

Pretty tough for what it is... every time i miss a putt i blame donald ross

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

[quote name='CTSpinDoctor' timestamp='1400200338' post='9304861']
In Connecticut:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pretty tough for what it is... every time i miss a putt i blame donald ross
[/quote]The instructions for the 4th hole (which is a par 3 to those that have never experienced it) at Shenny: "Take a flat bottomed soup bowl. Line the bowl with with a crust of sod/seed and grass and then fill the rest with dirt. Flip it upside down. Remove bowl."

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I would have to say with the Golfnow app, I have found many "hidden gems" due to some great deals. Best I would say is a nice course called Table Creek near Nebraska City off Hwy. 2 about 45 min. east of Lincoln. I have played many rounds there for less than $20 for 18 & cart. Course was always in real good condition last summer. I just checked now and they have some $13 deals for this weekend. Insane. Their website is even impressive. http://www.tablecreek.com/

Capture.JPG

Thanks for posting. I've always noticed it on there but never actually set up a time. Looks like I will have to get out there sometime soon.

If your in the Scottsdale AZ area make the 90 mile drive to Globe and play Apache Stronghold. It's a Tom Doak course that IMO is the best layout in AZ. It can be in a little bit tough shape but last time I was there I paid $30 to play all day with a cart. It's a better course than everything in Scottsdale at a small fraction of the price.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Ok, so not the cheapest course in Charleston SC, but my favorite course in the area is Stono Ferry Golf Links.

[url="http://www.stonoferrygolf.com/index.html"]http://www.stonoferrygolf.com/index.html[/url]

Always in great shape and has a storied history as well.

Talormade R1 RIP Stiff
TM TP MC 3-PW KBS Tour S
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56* & 60*
Taylormade Spider Mallet 2.0 38"
Taylormade Lethal/Pro V1
Titleist Perma Soft ML
Adidas Tour 360 2.0

Another hidden gem is Tanglewood GC in Clemmons, NC. A Robert Trent Jones, Sr. course- it hosted the 1974 PGA Championship where Trevino beat Nicklaus by a stroke.

Now it's a not-too-well-maintained muni but you can see what it used to be when you play it. I'm pretty sure I walked it ~10 years ago for about $20. You can still play for under $50 even on weekends.

[i][size=5]Immergrün Golf Club[/size][/i]

[i][size=5][size=4]Immergrün is a short demanding course. It is located on the campus of Saint Francis University in the mountains of Western Pennsylvania. [b]Immergr[/b][b]ün has not been altered since it was built by Donald Ross for Charles M. Schwab in 1917.[/b][/size][/size][/i]

Pretty much hidden in the middle of nowhere, but this is an outstanding course. An original Donald Ross course that anyone can play dirt cheap.

I'll start with Southerness and Silloth, one either side of the Solway Firth. Southerness is only 50 mins from the main London to Glasgow motorway but might as well be on the Moon. Superbly kept and very difficult championship standard links course. Their members pay around $550 a year. Simple clubhouse, good beer and great catering. Used for national championships and nobody takes the place apart, even on a calm day. Par 69 and 6600 odd yards. I once shot a net 75 and got my hcp cut. It is a fair but enjoyably tough test. Silloth is another super value course with fees of under $700 yet good enough to host the English Amateur.
Hidden greens, brutal heather and gorse, testing greens and stunning scenery. A great mix of holes and a at least one 9 will be into the wind. The Blue tees measure 6750, which is not long but three of them require a minimum 200 yard carry over severe rough.
Other courses within 100 miles of me that are superb yet affordable include Brancpeth Castle (H S Colt), Lanark (an inland links) and Powfoot, part links, part parkland with some superb par 3s and a very stout finish.

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1399665522' post='9264877']
1. Not run down by any means but Pekin IL ( Home of DA Points), Lick Creek around 27 to walk for out of towner for a challenging beautiful course with bent grass fairways and greens.

2. Elks Club, Pontiac IL: Well maintained beautiful bent grass course with excellent layout, half way house, great bar and the friendliest people. We play a ryder cup style event there every year and they couldnt be nicer. I believe greens fees are around 30 bucks

3. In northern indiana, the brassie 42 with a cart beautiful course with beautiful views

4. In Akron OH, 10 dollar to walk as many as you want after 4= Goodpark, very fun course with lightning greens, owner has changed since I moved away hope still kept up.
[/quote]

#2 for sure played it all the time. VERY under rated and pretty far under the radar.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

[quote name='chadly643' timestamp='1399693802' post='9267247']
Someone mentioned the golf now hot deals as a way to play some real gems for cheap. The best deal I've ever gotten on golf now was 20 bucks to ride 18 in the summer at the thoroughbred golf club in west Michigan. Its an Arthur hills design that challenges and delights even the best golfers.
[/quote]

They have great deals, and occasionally so does Thornapple Point.

I highly recommend The Mines if you've never been. Great track, you can walk 18 for $30 during the week, it's rarely busy, and my favorite driving range in town. I think it flies under the radar a bit because it's closed on Sundays.

My true hidden gem in town isn't a golf course. It's the short game practice facility at Thousand Oaks. Lots of bunkers, a few greens, fairway, rough, mounds, elevation change, and a great place to practice any shot you can think of up to about 100 yards. And it's free.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2