2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The "Golfnow" website COMPLETE PRICING DECEPTION

eagles1

Hearing many good things about the website www.golfnow.com, I decided to give them a try. Was looking for a tee time for a golf course that has a rack rate on their own website of $100.

Go to "golfnow" website, and they have same rate of $100 for all available times, but have one "deal" tee time listed at $75.00, with the caption "you save 25%". I book the time for a foursome thinking I'm in for $300.

Not to be. Upon check-out, there is an additional charge for "tax and surcharge" of approximately $50. Thus, total now $350.

Curious, I attempt to book a different tee time with "golfnow" at the same course at the rack rate of $100. There, the "tax and service charge" for a foursome is only $9.00.

I have come to realize that under the tee times that are the "deal" tee times, they hide the tax amount until you check out. and then zing you with it upon check out. On the "regular" rate tee times, the tax is included in the price.

When all is said and done, the total savings is approximately 7%, versus the "25%" as advertised.

Furthermore, under the "deal" rate of $75, they hit your credit card for the full amount at the time of booking, with a "no refund" policy", versus allowing you to pay at the course upon arrival. This however, is not a big issue.

I deplore deceptive sale/pricing practices like this. Shame on you Golfnow.

Comments welcomed with respect to "golfnow" and this particular practice, and not comments on other services that might be better.

Cheers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't find anything like that yet. I have found that tee times magically disappear when I try and select them. I am looking at 4am and it has done it several times, so I know I am not just missing them.

I'm waiting to hear from my supervisor if I have tomorrow off. If I get off I am going to try and make a time at the savings rate.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1400721061' post='9343471']
Hearing many good things about the website www.golfnow.com, I decided to give them a try. Was looking for a tee time for a golf course that has a rack rate on their own website of $100.

Go to "golfnow" website, and they have same rate of $100, but have [b]one[/b] "deal" tee time listed at $75.00. with the caption [b]"savings of 25%"[/b]. I book the time for a foursome thinking I'm in for $300.

Not to be. There is an additional charge for "tax and surcharge" of approximately $50. Thus, total now $350.

Curious, I attempt to book a different tee time with "golfnow" at the rack rate of $100. There, the "tax and service charge" for a foursome is only $9.00.

[b]I have come to realize that under the tee times that are the "deal" tee times, they hide the tax amount until you check out. and then zing you with it upon check out.[/b]

[b]When all is said and done, the total savings is approximately 7%, versus the "25%" as advertised.[/b]

Furthermore, under the "deal" rate of $75, they hit your credit card for the full amount at the time of booking, with a "no refund" policy", versus allowing you to pay at the course upon arrival.

I deplore deceptive practices like this. Shame on you Golfnow.

Comments welcomed.
[/quote]

Wow, I've never used them but thanks for the warning. That is BS.

not sure what you mean by extra taxes, I've never seen that. but the 'hot deals' are hot for a reason...they're non-refundable. its not a trick, they're pretty upfront that those deals, normally one a day at a specific time require pre-payment. Those deals are normally through the company themselves, and have nothing to do with the course, hence why you cannot pay when you get there. You can't just call up the course and ask for that price, b/c those are specific times that were allocated, and most likely paid for by golfnow.

This was from a "[b]HOT DEAL - Prepaid Time" 51% off deal[/b]

Payment Details:
Green Fees: $13.00 (1 player x $13.00)
Taxes & Online Fees: $3.40
Grand Total:
$16.40
Paid Online:
$16.40
Due at Course:
$0.00 The amount "Paid Online" will appear on your credit card statement under the following charge details:

[b]$16.40 - Chase USD [/b]

[u][b]So 78 cents is tax and $2.62 is online fee[/b][/u]

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='papichulosteve' timestamp='1400721796' post='9343587']
[b]not sure what you mean by extra taxes,[/b] I've never seen that. but the 'hot deals' are hot for a reason...they're non-refundable. [b]its not a trick[/b], they're pretty upfront that those deals, normally one a day at a specific time require pre-payment. Those deals are normally through the company themselves, and have nothing to do with the course, hence why you cannot pay when you get there. You can't just call up the course and ask for that price, b/c those are specific times that were allocated, and most likely paid for by golfnow.
[/quote]

Well my experience was different.

On "golfnow", my tee time "deal" booking [b]did not [/b]include sales tax figures in the price. You don't discover that until you hit "book" time, then the tax amount appears on the invoice, though not clearly as it it lumped in under the "tax and fees" line item. Maybe they only do this with states that have a sales tax. Dunno.

[b]Regular tee time fees (without discount) on "golfnow" has the tax included in the initial quote. The "hot deals" tee times do not. Therefore, what is listed as a "25% discount" on a "hot deal" over the regular rate is overstated, because they are comparing the pre tax "hot deal" rate with the higher cost option that has the tax already included in price.[/b]

[b]That's the deception.[/b]

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1400722113' post='9343635']
not sure what you mean by extra taxes, I've never seen that. but the 'hot deals' are hot for a reason...they're non-refundable. its not a trick, they're pretty upfront that those deals, normally one a day at a specific time require pre-payment. Those deals are normally through the company themselves, and have nothing to do with the course, hence why you cannot pay when you get there. You can't just call up the course and ask for that price, b/c those are specific times that were allocated, and most likely paid for by golfnow.
[/quote]

On "golfnow", their tee time "deals", [b] don't[/b] include sales tax figure in the quote. You don't discover that until you hit "book" time, then it appears on the invoice.

Regular tee time fees have tax included in the quote.

That's the deception.
[/quote] Gotta read the
[b] TERMS OF USE[/b]

PING G25 4-UW CFS

Hmmm, can't speak to the tax issue, as we have no sales tax in Oregon. I have used Golfnow for about 6 years. I book 90% of my golf with them using the hot deals and have never had an issue. I have had courses make me show confirmation numbers, receipts ect. Just trying to wiggle out of it in my opinion but never an issue with Golfnow. Some courses seem to have a resentment to GolfNow, so why then do they use them?

I have cancelled several times for health reasons or family reasons and they have always given me seven days to rebook a reservation anywhere I choose.

Have never heard of a " surcharge". Can't say anything really about that either. If they started that here I would quit using them.

Unless by surcharge your just talking about the booking fee

This year they waived all my booking fees booking fee and after 10 reservations they waive any booking fee. Although I have heard this may be changing, but I bet they still waive it for top customers in a given area.

With all that said;

Just like any web commerce store/cart:

At the final check out screen it clearly spells out the total of what your credit card or debit card will be charged before you hit the button to make the reservation. CLEAR AS CRYSTAL .

If someone is not pleased with this amount why did they go ahead and book it anyway and then complain? Really?

My buddies and I played a foursome at Pronghorn in Oregon, gratis on GolfNow. In addition to all the other awards garnered
along the way.

The regional manger often calls me to see how my experience at a given course was. Their customer service on the phone is top notch. The deals are real.

Whats not to like?

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

[/quote]

On "golfnow", their tee time "deals", [b] don't[/b] include sales tax figure in the quote. You don't discover that until you hit "book" time, then the tax amount appears on the invoice, though not clearly as it it lumped in under the "tax and fees" line item.

Regular tee time fees have tax included in the initial quote.

That's the deception.
[/quote]

none of the "tee times" include the "TAX" or "FEES" until you checkout. those fees are how a [b]THIRD[/b] 'PARTY' makes a "PROFIT".

bottom line is, are you paying less through golfnow than what you'd pay by calling the course directly? yes? then no need complain.

[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1400722941' post='9343775']
Golfnow is a joke..id rather book it through the course and have the flexibility to cancel..and have the extra money go directly to the course instead of into golfnows pockets
[/quote]It's not like the course doesn't agree with the Golfnow's procedure, in fact, they help the course out.

[quote name='papichulosteve' timestamp='1400722637' post='9343725']
[/quote]

On "golfnow", their tee time "deals", [b] don't[/b] include sales tax figure in the quote. You don't discover that until you hit "book" time, then the tax amount appears on the invoice, though not clearly as it it lumped in under the "tax and fees" line item.

Regular tee time fees have tax included in the initial quote.

That's the deception.
[/quote]

[b]none of the "tee times" include the "TAX" or "FEES" until you checkout. those fees are how a THIRD 'PARTY' makes a "PROFIT".[/b]

bottom line is, are you paying less through golfnow than what you'd pay by calling the course directly? yes? then no need complain.
[/quote]

Your statement that i have bolded above is incorrect. Re-read my OP.

Secondly, you're missing the point - but thanks for playing.

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1400723164' post='9343813']
Golfnow is a joke..id rather book it through the course and have the flexibility to cancel..and have the extra money go directly to the course instead of into golfnows pockets
[/quote]It's not like the course doesn't agree with the Golfnow's procedure, in fact, they help the course out.
[/quote]
Most courses do not love Golfnow. It has just became a necessary evil.

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1400723225' post='9343827']
[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1400723164' post='9343813']
[/quote]
Most courses do not love Golfnow. It has just became a necessary evil.
[/quote]I don't like going to the dentist either, but i'm glad he's there for me to go to.

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1400721844' post='9343595']
[b]Nothing like whining about saving 7 percent. Next time pay full price at the course directly that is better then saving the 7 percent right?[/b]
[/quote]

You go to a store and they have a 25% sale going on. You go to the register and it's only 7%. You pay, thinking, hell. at least a got a discount, why complain.

Good for you.

You also missed the point.

I have a couple friends that are huge cheapskates and won't do ANYTHING unless they have a coupon. It's crazy.

So, they always get these groupons or whatever, maybe we save 5 or 10 bucks. Fantastic. But ... the problem is - 9 million other people bought the same groupon and tee of in FRONT of us. Every time we do that we just wait and wait for 5 or 6 hours. It sucks.

Next time lets just go to the muni - there's nobody there.
"Yeah but .. I had a coupon and we saved $10"
It's only $10 to play the muni! And it's right there so you don't spend $10 on gas. It's still challenging [i]enjoyable[/i] golf.
"Well this is a nice course"
Maybe, but this isn't even golf .. it's standing here waiting on 3 groups.

Anyway .. rant off, just be wary of those deals when everyone else gets them as well and floods the course.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Book 10 times and there is no booking fee on GN. It used to be 10 rounds total which meant I was good to go after booking for my foursome only three rounds. Now it is 10 separate bookings. But as much as I play it wasn't hard to get that many and now I pay only the advertised rate and the tax.

Recently, because I hit 20 rounds for the year booked, I received a gift certificate for $10 off a "Hot Deal" and $10 Srixon coupon. I used the Hot Deal credit on a bargain course and ended up paying a total of $4 for 18 holes including a cart. I got a dozen Z-stars for a little over $12 with shipping brand new.

GN isn't for everyone. I happen to like using it and will continue to do so. The prices have definitely gone up from previous years. But it still saves me time, money, and the hassle of looking for a course in an area where I will be headed. And frankly I have found some AWESOME courses through their site that I might not have otherwise found. It isn't perfect. (phone ap stinks) But it works for me.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

sometimes i only save a couple of dollars using golf now but after 20-30 rounds get some really nice rewards, 10 dollars off rounds buy 1 get one free etc, so in the long run all adds up, last year i had a free foursome, so went out had a great day at a top end course should of been 800 dollars made it worth while

this year they have changed it, but all adds together

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1400723865' post='9343939']
I have a couple friends that are huge cheapskates and won't do ANYTHING unless they have a coupon. It's crazy.

So, they always get these groupons or whatever, maybe we save 5 or 10 bucks. Fantastic. But ... the problem is - 9 million other people bought the same groupon and tee of in FRONT of us. Every time we do that we just wait and wait for 5 or 6 hours. It sucks.

Next time lets just go to the muni - there's nobody there.
"Yeah but .. I had a coupon and we saved $10"
It's only $10 to play the muni! And it's right there so you don't spend $10 on gas. It's still challenging [i]enjoyable[/i] golf.
"Well this is a nice course"
Maybe, but this isn't even golf .. it's standing here waiting on 3 groups.

Anyway .. rant off, just be wary of those deals when everyone else gets them as well and floods the course.
[/quote]

We must have the same friend !! hahah
Spend $25 on gas and 45 min driving each way to pay 10 less on a green fee

yes .. and you figure you make $X per hour at work .. so your time has a value as well. 1 hr drive each way, 5 hr round, that's 3 hours of time away from work I could have used for something else (more golf). The hidden cost is more than what you "save".

It's like my mother's friend who drives to the other side of town to save 25 cents on bananas .. because "they were on sale". :WTF:

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

I was in Palm Springs and played one of the Marriott courses for $35 each for the wife and I. Booked through golfnow. Posted rate was $120 per person.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

I hate what GolfNow has become and what their future holds but in the OP's case, there was ZERO "deception."

For hot deals, it is a pretty easily seen fact that you will be hit with tax and booking fees (fees are waived after 10 booked rounds but this is the final year of that exemption). The tax will depend on your state's sales tax rate. And the 100% final price total is shown BEFORE you complete the reservation so the OP could have easily not booked it at all if he was unhappy with the surcharges.

This is the OP not understanding GolfNow's standard operating procedure and in no way "deception."

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1400743741' post='9345231']
I hate what GolfNow has become and what their future holds but in the OP's case, there was ZERO "deception."

For hot deals, it is a pretty easily seen fact that you will be hit with tax and booking fees (fees are waived after 10 booked rounds but this is the final year of that exemption). The tax will depend on your state's sales tax rate. And the 100% final price total is shown BEFORE you complete the reservation so the OP could have easily not booked it at all if he was unhappy with the surcharges.

This is the OP not understanding GolfNow's standard operating procedure and in no way "deception."
[/quote]

The hot rates are also clearly marked as "prepaid" rates - if you hover over the flame icon it says "HOT DEAL prepaid rate". So I'm not sure how this can be called deceptive. They are telling you it is a prepaid rate - right up front. Then they are making you prepay vs paying at the course.

As far as the taxes go and them deceiving or "hiding" it from you and then "zinging" you - I fail to see how this is different from any other store. If I go to an outlet store and buy a $50 item that is 50% off - I still pay the 6% sales tax at the cash register. I dont consider that deceiving in any way, shape or form - I dont think they are lying to me about the item being 50% off. Its called "business". The item itself was in fact still 50% off.

Honestly, and I've said this before, I wouldn't care if I paid more through Golfnow. Its called a "convenience" that I am more than happy to pay for. If I leave work early one day I can either call 15-20 area courses separately, looking up each phone number and spending 45 minutes making phone calls and writing down what their rates are - or I could pull out Golfnow and get a tee time in @ 60 seconds.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash