How much are green fees in your town?

In Orange County, CA most moderate "prime time" course rates are $65-$140, with high end $165-$275; and few allow walking. There are some short, easy, and walkable muni's at $25-$60, they are always very busy. Executive courses run $29 to walk, $40 ride and take almost as long to play as regulation 18. Riverside County golf has better prices and some really nice challenging courses too, priced from $65-$95 including cart.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can play twilight after work at some pretty nice courses for under $25. During peak hours/holidays it is anwhere from $40-$75. I will usually travel about an hour to play during peak times because I can find some courses in pretty nice shape for under $40 bucks with a cart. So I play one round in the morning, drive back and play another round in the afternoon and I spent what I would have spent to play one round on two rounds and gas. Winning

The courses I play are generally $23-30 during the week, cart included.
On the weekend they'll be up to $42 with a cart for the most expensive one I play.

Granted, I don't frequent the lavish courses.
I'm pretty sure I saw a scorecard once that said "greens" in quotes and everything...Not sure if they're saying it's usually brown or what

For public access courses:
$80-$120 on weekdays, including cart (sometimes caddy) and full meal lunch, locker, shower, etc.
$120-$200 on weekends

May seem expensive, but cost of living is different. $100 feels like ~$75

Course condition and service/amenities of low-end courses are better than most high-end courses in other countries. Fairways are perfect. No grass clippings anywhere. Greens are smooth and cut with walking mowers every morning, holes changed every day, tees are cut daily and moved, bunkers raked. Typical course has 30 people working there, including chefs and restaurant staff, reception, janitorial, course maintenance, pro shop, starting "staff" to load bags on carts, etc.

No tipping, clubs removed from car then cleaned at end of round, all courses have a staffed "halfway house" on each nine with refreshments, bathrooms.

Carts all have umbrellas, towels, many have GPS and remote control so a player can move the cart along a path so people can keep moving toward the hole without having to go back to the cart after each shot.

It's kind of like Disneyland.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Average here would be $28-35 for walking 18 holes, which most are not too bad to walk. Cart would probably then cost you $15-18/per person for the 18 holes.

Not sure what our 2 private courses run per month or what a guest green fee runs if you can get on.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1401310442' post='9384217']
For public access courses:
$80-$120 on weekdays, including cart (sometimes caddy) and full meal lunch, locker, shower, etc.
$120-$200 on weekends

May seem expensive, but cost of living is different. $100 feels like ~$75

Course condition and service/amenities of low-end courses are better than most high-end courses in other countries. Fairways are perfect. No grass clippings anywhere. Greens are smooth and cut with walking mowers every morning, holes changed every day, tees are cut daily and moved, bunkers raked. Typical course has 30 people working there, including chefs and restaurant staff, reception, janitorial, course maintenance, pro shop, starting "staff" to load bags on carts, etc.

No tipping, clubs removed from car then cleaned at end of round, all courses have a staffed "halfway house" on each nine with refreshments, bathrooms.

Carts all have umbrellas, towels, many have GPS and remote control so a player can move the cart along a path so people can keep moving toward the hole without having to go back to the cart after each shot.

It's kind of like Disneyland.
[/quote]

Where is this at?

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

There are a lot of courses in my area, but I play 4 primarily, ranging in quality and price.
Course A is about $40/round with a cart during peak times. It is the muni-est of the bunch, but always has fantastic greens.
Course B is a muni under new ownership and the new owners are trying to take it up a notch. It's $45/round, but if you play after 1pm it is cheaper.
Course C is my favorite course and it is a former TPC course. It's a semi private course, which means it's more of an upscale muni. I have had a membership there in the past and probably will again. It's about $70-80/round during peak times.
Course D is also a semi-private, though it is closer to a private course than C if that makes any sense. I only play there because people in the professional community I'm in, including my boss, play there. It's $80-$90/round in peak times, and frankly, it's not a better course than C.

There are really no $100+ courses in my immediate area, though you can find several if you drive about 60miles away. There are also a few complete dog tracks that you can play for like $25, but they're always in rough shape.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

San Antonio has the full range from $8 Par 3 course to $175 TPC San Antonio. There are over 50 courses within 60 miles. The local public course next to me has a deal where you pay $50 a month and you can play unlimited golf after noon, plus unlimited range balls. Granted, its nothing fancy. But its a decent place to work on your game, before you go spend $50 or more for a round at a more well-groomed course.

[quote name='peat24' timestamp='1401291508' post='9381987']
[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1401282832' post='9381037']
18 holes Rochester New York area up to about $60 with cart for weekend morning at a primo public course. Most decent public with cart $35-$45 typical. Price drops in the afternoon.
[/quote]

you forgot about genesee valley: 17$ walking!

apparently western NY has more golf courses per capita then anywhere else in the USA. weird.
[/quote]

Yeah I wasn't even thinking of the muni's (Genesee Valley or Durand Eastman).

Yes we are fortunate in WNY with reasonably priced golf and a large selection of nice courses.

[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1401272572' post='9380311']
[quote name='skullshot' timestamp='1401263642' post='9380131']
[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1401261705' post='9380093']
Only 1 course on this little island.
$ 120 green fee
$ 28 18 hole cart-- required
$ 10 + tip caddy fee-- required
[/quote]

What island?
[/quote]

Boracay.......picture left is from #14 tee looking back at #10 split fairway par 5.
Island is only 7.5 km long
[/quote]

Nice! My wife and I had our honeymoon there. Isn't that course owned by Pacquiao?

WITB Link

Interesting to hear these prices. I would have though LA pricing would be more expensive, but it seems fairly reasonable considering what some smaller areas are paying. We're lucky to have a like 8-9 city owned courses that are pretty well maintained. Id expect to pay 30-40% more if these courses were privately owned (and less crowded).

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

It's bad down here in OC, MD too. The prime package time in May and parts of the fall. If you tee off after 9am, it's a 5-6 hour round. At $140+ at several of the course. We find ways to get out at 7am in April, and just layer up and remove during the round. But there is no way some of these courses are worth that kind of $$$ they are trying to charge. Rum Pointe $149. Lighthouse $169. Bayside $145. Baywood $129. Bear Trap $130. River Run $124. River Marsh $119. I slide in with some guys down at OC and will pay up to $45 to get out, but not going to pay those rack rates at those other tracks. Probably why I've only played a few of them in the past few years. Too much money!

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1401342224' post='9387331']
Interesting to hear these prices. I would have though LA pricing would be more expensive, but it seems fairly reasonable considering what some smaller areas are paying. We're lucky to have a like 8-9 city owned courses that are pretty well maintained. Id expect to pay 30-40% more if these courses were privately owned (and less crowded).
[/quote]

You might get your wish, "if" LA city ever comes to grips with 'black ink' fiscal responsibly. And those prices don't have to reflect privately owned either; just priced according to making a profit, and not subsidized by other city run 'black ink' operations. LA is NOT able to afford those course prices, without constantly increasing taxes across the board affecting people that already struggle with living and housing costs, etc. Also a contributing reason to big businesses leaving CA, with hundred thousand + jobs, but that's another topic.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='JC671' timestamp='1401334758' post='9386949']
[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1401272572' post='9380311']
[quote name='skullshot' timestamp='1401263642' post='9380131']
[quote name='joeshmo' timestamp='1401261705' post='9380093']
Only 1 course on this little island.
$ 120 green fee
$ 28 18 hole cart-- required
$ 10 + tip caddy fee-- required
[/quote]

What island?
[/quote]

Boracay.......picture left is from #14 tee looking back at #10 split fairway par 5.
Island is only 7.5 km long
[/quote]

Nice! My wife and I had our honeymoon there. Isn't that course owned by Pacquiao?
[/quote]

No Pacquiao involvement. Andrew Tan and 1 of his companies has controlling interest.

Talent is the desire to practice

My home course runs from $20-$35 depending on day and time of day with a cart. It is overpriced for current condition. Average cost for area is $30-$60. For whatever reason, the courses in my area do not cut much slack for walking and most courses are hard to walk due to hills and in some cases long distances between holes. Municipal courses here are in mostly poor condition and it seems the better courses are more retirement community type places. Regardless, pace of play is painfully slow at most all of them. I try to book the first tee time at my home course to be able to play at a fast pace.

Im in the same neighborhood as the OP. I find myself paying usually between $40-$60 walking. I also find that Golfnow has some good deals for a lot of our local courses, especially afternoon tee times. For your info I often walk Juniper, Widgi and Black Butte for under $50 peak season from there....
BTW, if you ever want to get together and play let me know.

[quote name='oregongolfguy' timestamp='1401506346' post='9400673']
Im in the same neighborhood as the OP. I find myself paying usually between $40-$60 walking. I also find that Golfnow has some good deals for a lot of our local courses, especially afternoon tee times. For your info I often walk Juniper, Widgi and Black Butte for under $50 peak season from there....
BTW, if you ever want to get together and play let me know.
[/quote]

I'm up for a game. Would like to see the remodeled Glaze Meadow. I won't even ask for strokes.