2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Whats the craziest par 3 you have played

[quote name='leerob3' timestamp='1405384343' post='9701111']
Not really that crazy but insane on that day, #7 at Old Head. Was playing 188, wind blowing off the ocean right to left and somewhat in and I mean it was almost gale force winds. Caddie has me hit driver and says "trust me, you have to aim at the ocean," I line up aligned about 50 yards to the right of the green looking at the Atlantic and rip a drive. The wind actually blew it back on line but it was still short, bogey never felt so good!
[/quote]

Definitely played this hole under similar condition!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really that crazy but insane on that day, #7 at Old Head. Was playing 188, wind blowing off the ocean right to left and somewhat in and I mean it was almost gale force winds. Caddie has me hit driver and says "trust me, you have to aim at the ocean," I line up aligned about 50 yards to the right of the green looking at the Atlantic and rip a drive. The wind actually blew it back on line but it was still short, bogey never felt so good!

Definitely played this hole under similar condition!

The 10th hole at Crystal Springs is pretty crazy. Dogbone shaped green that can make the hole play very differently as its basically turns it into 2 different greens depending on pin placement. You're teeing off over a quarry about 100 feet above the putting surface making club selection interesting.

59011431.jpg

Tee is up by the condos.11th-Hole-II.jpg

Wow. Wouldn't want to play this one with the tee back left! Cheers

[quote name='prestiege' timestamp='1411128960' post='10146259']
from the courses i've played so far, the 15th at harborside is one of the craziest due to the sand and one of the toughest due to the wind and there is so much sand the pictures do it no justice. the tee boxes are elevated a touch and once there was so much wind coming back toward the tee box everyone had to hit driver

[attachment=2425301:Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 7.09.47 AM.png]

[attachment=2425303:Screen Shot 2014-09-19 at 7.08.35 AM.png]
[/quote]

Agreed. It's not terribly difficult when the pin is in the front right, but a back left pin location is nuts. The green is only 17 yards deep in the back left location.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

#15 at the Bully Pulpit in Medora, ND is another good one. Only about 150 yards, but the green looks like it's the size of a coffee table from the tee box. There's a little bit of room to miss right, but that's about it. Miss it anywhere else and you really are in "the bad lands".

Cobra BioCell Pro driver
Cobra BioCell+ 5-7 fwy
Cobra BioCell Hybrid
Cobra Amp Cell Pro irons with C-Tapers
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 51, 56, 60
TaylorMade Spider mallet CS

• 2 weeks later...

17th hole at Ganton. Plays 251 off the championship tees as a par 3, or 247 as a 4 off the yellows. The two times I've played in competition it had the pin cut to the back left behind a very deep pot bunker. Meaning you had to carry it 264 to make it over the bunker or play 230ish to the front and take a chance at a 2 putt on a double tiered green. It tends to play against the wind. Both times I've smoked a 3 wood pin high and ended up just off the green in ankle high rough. Nice. Great course.

A few years ago, some associates and I were playing in a tournament in Las Vegas where I experienced the most stress I had on a par 3. On one of the par 3's, there were some showgirls. If everyone in the foursome hit and stayed on the green, they would accompany you on the hole topless. I was the forth to hit and there were three balls on the green. While my shot was 25 feet or so from the pin, it was on the green by a few inches.

#6 hole at Greywolf golf course... Panorama BC Canada... The hole is my all time favourite and is named Cliffhanger. Our group plays it at 155y however it goes up to 200 from the back tee. All carry over a 200 ft gorge that runs in between 2 mountains... absolutely breathtaking. Sorry no pics but ill try to upload one.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

[quote name='priceless' timestamp='1412696481' post='10249373']A few years ago, some associates and I were playing in a tournament in Las Vegas where I experienced the most stress I had on a par 3. On one of the par 3's, there were some showgirls. If everyone in the foursome hit and stayed on the green, they would accompany you on the hole topless. I was the forth to hit and there were three balls on the green. While my shot was 25 feet or so from the pin, it was on the green by a few inches.[/quote]

priceless indeed

Hole #5 at Dismal River (white course). 185 yards straight up to a green you cannot see with huge bunker protecting the front center of the green.

Read online that when Tiger Woods visited the course, he was quoted saying "Are you kidding me?"

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft- Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 S)
TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 S)- 18*
Maltby DBM (KBS Tour S)- 4-GW
Bridgestone J15 wedges (True Temper DG Spinner)- 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

• 2 years later...

The 10th hole at Crystal Springs is pretty crazy. Dogbone shaped green that can make the hole play very differently as its basically turns it into 2 different greens depending on pin placement. You're teeing off over a quarry about 100 feet above the putting surface making club selection interesting.

59011431.jpg

Tee is up by the condos.11th-Hole-II.jpg

While looking for something on Google relating to this course (Looking for an old scorecard, prior to 2011) I came across this post. Number 10 at Crystal Springs, now it's #11. Not sure when you last played it. I love the course, but this hole really gets me. Never know which club to hit.

13-img_6885.jpg?w=593&h=445

#13 at Blackwolf Run at Kohler ... 190 yds ... the trees legitimately block your approach so that you must catch it almost perfectly to go over them or hit a draw over the river ... I was +3 for the day when i came here and doubled it because i could not fathom how a par 3 could have its approach blocked by trees ... to this day i have a 3 word phrase i say whenever i hear Pete Dye's name, and the last two words are "Pete Dye".

#13 at Blackwolf Run at Kohler ... 190 yds ... the trees legitimately block your approach so that you must catch it almost perfectly to go over them or hit a draw over the river ... I was +3 for the day when i came here and doubled it because i could not fathom how a par 3 could have its approach blocked by trees ... to this day i have a 3 word phrase i say whenever i hear Pete Dye's name, and the last two words are "Pete Dye".

I really didn't like this hole (and ultimately that course). It's just a lazy, gimmicky design IMO. I was in similar shoes as you, a couple over par. If I recall, the tees were positioned more to the left when I played it. I remember thinking you had to hit it over the trees that day unless you were planning on drawing it 20 yards. I hit a cut 5 iron on this hole and caught it maybe a groove low, hit the top of the tree and kicked straight down behind the trees. Ended up having to punch out with no shot to the green... walked away with a 5.

As I was getting into the cart, the guys behind us hit (which annoyed me since I was still standing there and we had been waiting on the group in front of us on every shot) and his tee shot one hops and in for an ace.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I really didn't like this hole (and ultimately that course). It's just a lazy, gimmicky design IMO. I was in similar shoes as you, a couple over par. If I recall, the tees were positioned more to the left when I played it. I remember thinking you had to hit it over the trees that day unless you were planning on drawing it 20 yards. I hit a cut 5 iron on this hole and caught it maybe a groove low, hit the top of the tree and kicked straight down behind the trees. Ended up having to punch out with no shot to the green... walked away with a 5.

As I was getting into the cart, the guys behind us hit (which annoyed me since I was still standing there and we had been waiting on the group in front of us on every shot) and his tee shot one hops and in for an ace.

my buddies and i really liked the course, but that design just did not sit well with me and still does not ... i did mutter my 3-word phrase as i typed that and have muttered it again ... i tried a 5 over the trees but didn't catch it clean and ended up like you ...

again, ___ pete dye.

I like Sexy Pete Dye too. It's OK to say that, golfers are a notoriously liberal, open-minded lot.

Think Blackwolf Run is a fantastic course.

If you've chosen to play the course from 6600 or 7000 yd tees I don't think it's asking too much to be able to play that tee shot.

Play from the whites and you're safe and sound the other side of the trees. Dunked my first teeball last time I played there, IIRC I took a 6. Oh well :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Craziest, whale of the tail hole at Punta Mita Pacifico outside of puerto vallarta.

Hardest (for me at least), 14 at oak quarry in riverside county. As a lefty who fades it, a ~200yd hole that's all carry, with zero room on the left to miss,and a wall of rock deep and right wasn't my favorite hole to play that day.

107339060.jpg

Fox run golf club outside of St. Louis. Here's the scorecard from the absolute tips which they don't put out. Haven't played it from back there but it looks crazy and not just the par 3's.

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/foxrungc3/detailedscorecardtee.htm?gft=8b3941c3-824a-43c9-b268-c8120b1d55d7&next=https%3A%2F%2Fcourse.bluegolf.com%2Fbluegolf%2Fcourse%2Fcourse%2Ffoxrungc3%2Fdetailedscorecard.htm

My 2 nemesis par 3s:

PGA West Stadium Course #6. Appropriately named "Amen". 255 yards (to the center) of pure water carry. I played it in a tournament a few years ago into a stiff 20 mph breeze. Hit driver, came up short. Couldn't believe it.

(this is from one of the up tees...can't find a good photo from the backs. Needless to say, more water, less land in your view from the backs)

11098037.jpg

Torrey Pines South # 11. Whenever I play it, it's roughly 215 into a 20-30mph ocean breeze. Right in between clubs for me. I never hit that tiny @$$ green and that hole pisses me off to no end.

Neither of these are especially crazy, but goddamn I hate them.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

For me, its the 15th hole at Lake Ridge in Reno, Nevada. Its severely elevated with unpredictable winds onto a big sort of, island green. You can still land short or long, left or right and still be dry. From the tips, which is where I usually play it from, its 239 and the highest tee box. Its daunting the first time you play it because you see the yardage, the elevation, wind in your face and you have idea what club to hit. The first time I played it, I pulled 5 wood and was short. The next time I played it, with the wind from the side, I pulled a 3 wood and was long into the water. On one trip, we played from the whites which is 220. The day was calm and hot. I pulled a 5 iron right to the middle of the green.

lakeridge-shores-golf.jpg

For me, its the 15th hole at Lake Ridge in Reno, Nevada. Its severely elevated with unpredictable winds onto a big sort of, island green. You can still land short or long, left or right and still be dry. From the tips, which is where I usually play it from, its 239 and the highest tee box. Its daunting the first time you play it because you see the yardage, the elevation, wind in your face and you have idea what club to hit. The first time I played it, I pulled 5 wood and was short. The next time I played it, with the wind from the side, I pulled a 3 wood and was long into the water. On one trip, we played from the whites which is 220. The day was calm and hot. I pulled a 5 iron right to the middle of the green.

Whomever designed this hole should be drug behind a slow moving train while being shot at

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Whomever designed this hole should be drug behind a slow moving train while being shot at

Looks like RTJ Sr. Not sure what he was thinking...