Whats the craziest par 3 you have played

If you love crazy par 3's and fun golf courses set in a breathtaking part of the country try Shisking Golf Club on the Isle of Arran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg2W0Zl7TME

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-P Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8th at Oakmont long and brutal.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

The 4th hole at Paa Ko is a triple tiered green, that plays between like 100 yards or 200 depending on the pin.

The craziest one I can think of, but more In the sense of "why would they do this?" would be papago, where 3 of the par 3's play over 230 from the tips. All of them are flat too.

233, 253, 243 is the yardage on the card, it ive played number 8 when it's lazered at 267. It's dumb, and the worst part about an otherwise awesome track

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='golfnut9922' timestamp='1405381585' post='9700821']
I have a course close to my house that I play whenever it rains, best rain course in Tampa. It called Heritage Harbor, nothing fancy but has a really tough par 3 from the tips. I usually play from the blues (6000 ish yards), but it is rather short for my liking. I really have not played prom the tips(6898 yards) because of this hole.

#14 par 3 from the Blues 130 ish yards, from the tips 263 yards. It is a long par 3 and I think it is a bit much. You have to hit thru a 20 yards corridor thru the trees, and the under brush has not been cut in a long time. You cannot see the green or the flag stick from the tee box. So if you make it thru the trees you have to carry a pond about 30 yards short of the green. So a good poke is needed to clear it all, there is a little bail out to the right if you slice one a bit. Between the pond and the green there is also a big bunker to the left of the green.

Last week I played it and actually got a par. I hit my mini driver about 2 paces short of the green had a nice chip and easy putt. There are a few other quirky holes on the course, but this par 3 is the worst.

I have played 220 yard par 3s before but 263 is getting out of control.

What the hardest or wierdest par 3 you guys have played.

Gary
[/quote]

I had to look this course up on Google Earth and holy crap that looks like a tough hole!! At first I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but then I spotted what I assume is the tee box you are talking about, way back behind the other tee boxes and next to a small pond. The gap between the trees looks like its cart path width. God help you if you play any kind of draw or cut as your natural shot.

Pawleys Plantation in Myrtle Beach.

This Nicklaus design had par 3 with an island green similar to the 17th at Sawgrass.

But instead of giving you a nice big target to shoot at, the green was the size of a postage stamp....

...hard as a rock...

...and played [b][i]SIXTY YARDS[/i][/b] from the men's tees.

So I was stuck trying to carry the ball all the way to this tiny target hitting 3/4 lob wedge shots...and absolutely no margin for errors.

I dumped 4 balls into the water. Two short. One long. One hit the green, but wouldn't hold because it had so little spin.

Add to that the fact that the course was all-Bermuda---and they let the rough grow to 2.5"----and nad all the worst excesses of Jack's green-complex designs, I vowed that I would NEVER play that course again.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

The 16th at Victoria National (Newburg, IN) from the tips.... a bit over 200 yards and wind was from the right and a bit into you when I played it. Every tee shot is worthy of a photograph at this course, but this is one of the holes I remember the most. Check it out on Google Maps to get a better view of how wicked it is.

Victoria-National-Golf-Club-Hole-16-1-copy.jpg

[quote name='helper_monkey' timestamp='1405450003' post='9706039']
[quote name='golfnut9922' timestamp='1405381585' post='9700821']
I have a course close to my house that I play whenever it rains, best rain course in Tampa. It called Heritage Harbor, nothing fancy but has a really tough par 3 from the tips. I usually play from the blues (6000 ish yards), but it is rather short for my liking. I really have not played prom the tips(6898 yards) because of this hole.

#14 par 3 from the Blues 130 ish yards, from the tips 263 yards. It is a long par 3 and I think it is a bit much. You have to hit thru a 20 yards corridor thru the trees, and the under brush has not been cut in a long time. You cannot see the green or the flag stick from the tee box. So if you make it thru the trees you have to carry a pond about 30 yards short of the green. So a good poke is needed to clear it all, there is a little bail out to the right if you slice one a bit. Between the pond and the green there is also a big bunker to the left of the green.

Last week I played it and actually got a par. I hit my mini driver about 2 paces short of the green had a nice chip and easy putt. There are a few other quirky holes on the course, but this par 3 is the worst.

I have played 220 yard par 3s before but 263 is getting out of control.

What the hardest or wierdest par 3 you guys have played.

Gary
[/quote]

I had to look this course up on Google Earth and holy crap that looks like a tough hole!! At first I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but then I spotted what I assume is the tee box you are talking about, way back behind the other tee boxes and next to a small pond. The gap between the trees looks like its cart path width. God help you if you play any kind of draw or cut as your natural shot.
[/quote]

Yes, that is the tee box way back there. It requires a pretty straight shot starting out. I might be playing it Thursday, I will have to take a picture.

Gary

TM SLDR 9.5 TP Stiff
Adams 9031 18* Diamana 82 HY Stiff
Titleist 712 U 3 iron
TM Burner 2.0 Project X 4-PW
Scor Wedges 50-54-58
Odyssey Tank #1 38"

[quote name='MJP22' timestamp='1405434181' post='9704175']
The 11th hole at Crystal Springs is pretty crazy. Dogbone shaped green that can make the hole play very differently as its basically turns it into 2 different greens depending on pin placement. You're teeing off over a quarry about 100 feet above the putting surface making club selection interesting.
[/quote]

I was just thinking about this one.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

The 11th hole at Crystal Springs is pretty crazy. Dogbone shaped green that can make the hole play very differently as its basically turns it into 2 different greens depending on pin placement. You're teeing off over a quarry about 100 feet above the putting surface making club selection interesting.

Tee is up by the condos.
[/quote]

How many yards is it?

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1405382747' post='9700937']
236 yards - mostly carry over water. I laid up to women's tees and then took a nice solid wedge shot to about 10 to 15 feet and made the par.

As others have said when I told this story before, not the most manly way to get it done. But the scorecard doesn't tell others how you made it - just that you made it.
[/quote]

I did this today..only difference is it was a 110 yd Par 3 and I did lay up, I chunked it..I did however put my second shot a foot from hole for par :)

220 yds uphill, usually plays 240 but its an elevated green on top of a hill with a big drop on all sides

160 yd extremely uphill that plays just under 200, they have a 25 Ft. pin so you can see it from the tee

Also one that's 250 on the scorecard but I only needed a 6 iron to get pin high since it was so far below tee, im not a fan of such extreme elevation change on 3's..

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1405384855' post='9701183']
272 over ocean, Mauna Kea #3
[/quote]

That was a beast of a hole. Good thing the wind wasn't blowing much that day and still bailed out short right of the green

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1405392304' post='9702025']
4th at Paa Ko Ridge outside of Albuquerque in the Sandia mountains. It's not crazy long- 166 from the blues, but the green must be 50 yards long. Pray you don't hit a thin one or you could be on the green with 45 yards to the hole.
[/quote]

Great course even though I played from the tips I think the shortest par three was 180ish. Being the down hill and high altitude PW got the job done. 230ish 6 iron got the job done also due to down hill and high altitude.

Now the par 3 the intimidated me the most was the island green on the wolf course. It lazed at 210ish but was dead into a 40+mph wind if I remember correctly, (to lazy to search for the post on made on the course.)

Now one of my favorite par 3 was at Cascata

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

My favorite was #11 at Sugarloaf Golf Club, Maine - - highly-elevated tees, very scenic mountain view, creek in the front, bunkers to the right, trees surrounding - - if I remember right, the tees vary from about 160 - 200 yards. Sugarloaf is a ski resort in the winter. Check the link to see a view from the tee!

[url="http://www.sugarloaf.com/summer"]http://www.sugarloaf.com/summer[/url]

Come this winter I can edit this to include the 17th at Sawgrass, but as of right now I'd say it's a at my home course. 180 from all the way back, usually plays 175 from the blues. 20 yards uphill with a severely sloped green. Behind or side of the hole and you're usually screwed.

Edit:

Here's a picture of it. Hard to show the actual elevation from the green back. Putt missed by about an inch on the low side, and had to drill an 8 footer coming back for par.

Pm0KtJG.jpg

12th hole at the Challenge at Manale - Lanai, Hawaii

200 yard carry over the ocean.

1740.jpg

lanaigolf_636x431.jpg

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='Handfull' timestamp='1405504253' post='9710705']
I believe this is the hole the OP is referring to. It's about 50-80 yards of natural preserve then a hidden lake after that. I thought I hit a good shot but never found the ball.
[/quote]

Handfull,

Thats the one. I is just not right. If its the first time playing the course and you dont drive forward you can definately hit a good shot and have no idea where the ball went.

Gary

TM SLDR 9.5 TP Stiff
Adams 9031 18* Diamana 82 HY Stiff
Titleist 712 U 3 iron
TM Burner 2.0 Project X 4-PW
Scor Wedges 50-54-58
Odyssey Tank #1 38"

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1405458656' post='9707153']

Tee is up by the condos.
[/quote]

How many yards is it?
[/quote]

160 to the short part of the green, 186 to the back portion of the green.

It's also the 10th hole, not the 11th.

Number 6 at the Snowmass Club in Colorado. The hole plays 276 from the tips, and the tips measure to about 7000 if I remember correctly. The distance isn't ultra crazy because you're 8000 feet above sea level and the hole plays downhill, but it's still a long a** way. The thing that brings it over the top for me is the green. It's not as big as it looks and has a few significant shelves. It's just stupid to assume pretty much any amateur golfer can hit their 250 club with the degree of accuracy that this particular green requires. They could have flattened out the green or decreased the distance to make it interesting, but it's a waste of a hole the way it is now. Number 6 is the only stupid hole on an otherwise phenomenal course.

http://www.snowmassclub.com/Default.aspx?p=dynamicmodule&pageid=381344&ssid=299107&vnf=1

I've played a handful of crazy par 3s, but the one I just played in the Dominican takes the cake. The course is Punta Espada. They played (maybe still do?) a Champions Tour event there. The place is amazing.
Hole #13 250 yards. All carry over the ocean and the green is slightly elevated. It makes "the challenge" look like a chip shot.
Here is exact conversation between me and my caddie (who was awesome). I hit it long, but when I walked to the tee I really thought it was a par 4.

Me - Driver?
Him - No. It's a par 3.
Me - *Laughed out loud*
Him - Not joking
Me - *blank stare*...how far?
Him - 250 yards
Me - To where?
Him - *points across ocean*...that way...do you see the flag?
Me - Unfortunately
Him - *laughs*...No one plays from back here. Not even the tour pros, they say it's too hard.
Me - That's not as fun.
Him - Good luck.

I typically carry my hybrid 250 yards on the nose. The wind was fairly calm, so I grab it, take aim at the flag and tried to hold off my finish and hit it to right side of the green. Double cross, pull into the ocean. [size=4]Caddie says "that was not good, you can do better, try again".[/size]
[size=4]Dropped another ball and hit it to 15 feet, missed the putt though, easy double....[/size]

[size=4]Here is a pic I took standing on the tee box. The two palm trees on the far left are pretty much where the middle of the green is.[/size]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:2314029]

Jeremiah 29:11

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1405392304' post='9702025']
4th at Paa Ko Ridge outside of Albuquerque in the Sandia mountains. It's not crazy long- 166 from the blues, but the green must be 50 yards long. Pray you don't hit a thin one or you could be on the green with 45 yards to the hole.
[/quote]

I know that hole well. I would say the green is almost 100 yds deep and has three tiers. Once I hit a solid 4 iron to the back pin and just as it got to the top it rolled back down leaving me 50 ft+ up the hill. I proceeded to 4 putt that hole as the first didn't make it over the ridge and tolled past my original starting point, then the second putt rolled 10 ft passed the hole and I missed it coming back. I will also add that, I wasn't playing the tips but 2 tees up and it was the shortest par 3 of the 4 that day. I played the eighth the other day at 235 yds downhill but into a stiff wind and it played all of the 235+. 3 pretty solid single digit handicaps with 100 mph+ swing speeds hit 3 woods onto that green, surprisingly we all made par.

1) Good: Teeth of the Dog, Dominican Republic: hole 6 ( i think) beautiful par 3 over water. Hit a wedge to 2 inches at 10 years old! Have a painting of the hole on my desk.
2) Bad: Westchester NY, forgot the name, muni called Pequanaconk or something like it. 100 yards long, 75 yards uphill on top of a cliff. Literally impossible to hit the green as the ball runs off the back every time. The highway on one side and driveway that goes through the hole make it especially a delight to play.

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

#8 Ridgecrest GC, near Boise ID: 199 yds from the tips, a little uphill to a green that looks like a loaf of bread 20 ft wide x 50 ft long x 6 ft high. It's very difficult to land and hold the ball on the green. (the club calls it the "Redan" but it's not like any redan I've ever seen)

#14 Ruby Hill GC, Pleasanton CA: about 190 yds from the back tees, to a medium sized green. The problem is that there is a large tree directly in front of the green, about 40 ft high and 30 feet wide. So the player must hit a very high approach shot. To make it more difficult, there is a barranca right of the green and dense rough to the left.

There are a bunch of them at a course called Fairways of Canton in Canton, GA. One par-3 is only about 170 yards, but it has 3 massive tiers in the green and the tiers are not very deep. In other words, very easy to find the top-tier and be on the green, but if the pin is cut on the bottom tier, you're going to not only putt the ball of the green, but you will be happy if you come away with a bogey. When I played there, I hit the middle tier and the pin was in the bottom tier. I hit a put as softly as I could and it hit right over the middle of the cup and ran another 10-feet off the green.

They also had another hole there, I believe it is #6 where you are hitting to a green so far below that it throws your balance off just by looking that far down.

Supposedly they re-designed the entire course to make it easier, but it doesn't look to me that they did anything. I've only played there once. Yard-for-yard, easily the toughest course I've ever played...and I played both Kiawah Island and Bethpage Black.

RH

• 1 month later...

Harlem Valley Golf Club - Semi private 9-hole in Wingdale, New York, Donald Ross designed. Third hole is a par-3, plays anywhere from 140 to 170. The kicker, the green is elevated about 100 foot from the tee box. The green is wide left to right, but only has about a 10 yard depth and is two tiered with the right tier being about two feet lower then the left. To top it off, if you try and be safe and go long, you have a downhill chip back towards the 100 foot drop. Good luck on that beast.

[quote name='jdailey03' timestamp='1406055695' post='9760169']
I've played a handful of crazy par 3s, but the one I just played in the Dominican takes the cake. The course is Punta Espada. They played (maybe still do?) a Champions Tour event there. The place is amazing.
Hole #13 250 yards. All carry over the ocean and the green is slightly elevated. It makes "the challenge" look like a chip shot.
Here is exact conversation between me and my caddie (who was awesome). I hit it long, but when I walked to the tee I really thought it was a par 4.

Me - Driver?
Him - No. It's a par 3.
Me - *Laughed out loud*
Him - Not joking
Me - *blank stare*...how far?
Him - 250 yards
Me - To where?
Him - *points across ocean*...that way...do you see the flag?
Me - Unfortunately
Him - *laughs*...No one plays from back here. Not even the tour pros, they say it's too hard.
Me - That's not as fun.
Him - Good luck.

I typically carry my hybrid 250 yards on the nose. The wind was fairly calm, so I grab it, take aim at the flag and tried to hold off my finish and hit it to right side of the green. Double cross, pull into the ocean. [size=4]Caddie says "that was not good, you can do better, try again".[/size]
[size=4]Dropped another ball and hit it to 15 feet, missed the putt though, easy double....[/size]

[size=4]Here is a pic I took standing on the tee box. The two palm trees on the far left are pretty much where the middle of the green is.[/size]
[/quote]

+1. This one takes the cake!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball