2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Whats the craziest par 3 you have played

I have a course close to my house that I play whenever it rains, best rain course in Tampa. It called Heritage Harbor, nothing fancy but has a really tough par 3 from the tips. I usually play from the blues (6000 ish yards), but it is rather short for my liking. I really have not played prom the tips(6898 yards) because of this hole.

#14 par 3 from the Blues 130 ish yards, from the tips 263 yards. It is a long par 3 and I think it is a bit much. You have to hit thru a 20 yards corridor thru the trees, and the under brush has not been cut in a long time. You cannot see the green or the flag stick from the tee box. So if you make it thru the trees you have to carry a pond about 30 yards short of the green. So a good poke is needed to clear it all, there is a little bail out to the right if you slice one a bit. Between the pond and the green there is also a big bunker to the left of the green.

Last week I played it and actually got a par. I hit my mini driver about 2 paces short of the green had a nice chip and easy putt. There are a few other quirky holes on the course, but this par 3 is the worst.

I have played 220 yard par 3s before but 263 is getting out of control.

What the hardest or wierdest par 3 you guys have played.

Gary

TM SLDR 9.5 TP Stiff
Adams 9031 18* Diamana 82 HY Stiff
Titleist 712 U 3 iron
TM Burner 2.0 Project X 4-PW
Scor Wedges 50-54-58
Odyssey Tank #1 38"

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

236 yards - mostly carry over water. I laid up to women's tees and then took a nice solid wedge shot to about 10 to 15 feet and made the par.

As others have said when I told this story before, not the most manly way to get it done. But the scorecard doesn't tell others how you made it - just that you made it.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I've played 2 crazy par 3's.

Payson AZ - forgot the name of the course - About 125 yard par 3. You climb to the top of a set of steps. Look out over some tree tops to the top of a flag stick. You can't see the green. You know it's WAY down hill. Hit a wedge toward the top of the flag stick. Walk back down the steps around the trees and hill and come to find that the flag stick is about 15 feet tall. It's that tall so the top of it can be seen from the tee box.

Parker, AZ - Emerald Canyon - Drive to the top of a mountain. Walk out to the front edge of the tee box. 147 from the blues, 113 from the whites. Look straight down over a cliff to the green. Mark the pin location on a rock in the far side of the canyon. Walk back to the tee markers and hit a 56* wedge over the side of the cliff without seeing the flag or green at all. My ball actually buried itself in the green. It's WAY downhill. When you stand on the edge of the tee box you are actually looking nearly straight dwon onto the green. It's by far the coolest hole I've ever seen.

Then again the very next hole is a par 5. You are in the bottom of the canyon near the par 3 green you just played. Your tee shot is slightly back up the canyon, but in between 2 canyons walls that are not but about 25 yards apart. Your tee shot MUST be in between the canyon walls. Everyone waiting to play the aforementioned par 3 is watching from above as your tee shots zips by below them. It's great fun!! My wifes tee shot actually imbedded in the right canyon wall. It was funny as hell!

Not really that crazy but insane on that day, #7 at Old Head. Was playing 188, wind blowing off the ocean right to left and somewhat in and I mean it was almost gale force winds. Caddie has me hit driver and says "trust me, you have to aim at the ocean," I line up aligned about 50 yards to the right of the green looking at the Atlantic and rip a drive. The wind actually blew it back on line but it was still short, bogey never felt so good!

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

272 over ocean, Mauna Kea #3

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

nothing [i]too [/i]crazy, the 6th at Le Diable in Mont Tremblant Quebec , probably. It's 221 from the back tees but is so far downhill clubbing is a major problem. You can hit your 170yd club on some days. The ball hangs in the air forever....i don't know distances but it's gotta be a couple of hundred feet downhill, you are hitting off a mountain. There's a racetrack in the backround too which is kind of cool

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4th at Paa Ko Ridge outside of Albuquerque in the Sandia mountains. It's not crazy long- 166 from the blues, but the green must be 50 yards long. Pray you don't hit a thin one or you could be on the green with 45 yards to the hole.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1405382747' post='9700937']
236 yards - mostly carry over water. I laid up to women's tees and then took a nice solid wedge shot to about 10 to 15 feet and made the par.

As others have said when I told this story before, not the most manly way to get it done. But the scorecard doesn't tell others how you made it - just that you made it.
[/quote]

Who cares about manly. I love this, this is what golf is about.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but will be there in 2 weeks, will take some picts.

The other hard par 3 was on the same course but the 16th, only between 130-145 y range but the green is very uphill, not very large quite long in theory but the pin is always set in the middle to then end of green because the pin is not allowed to be set below as it's very downhill and if your ball pitch there it will roll out of the green ( not if the green are soft ). so the landing surface is not that big. if you miss the on the right side the ball will roll out in the deep rough and if you're long enough, some small threes are waiting for you. On the left side you don't have that much grass, so you can end up in the sand or area where there is not so much grass, so thin or fat shot cames rapidly.

not unusual to see some double bogeys even from players < 3 index. also reminder that it's a link so very difficult to stop the ball, always (95%) playing ( with 20-30 mph of wind) which is usually into wind and some time quite crosswind.

What i like with these short par3, is that you don't have to make them over 220y to make them tough.

Some score made by 3 handicapper player during a federal tournament

some image of the 16th

20b3e403-919e-409e-a1c3-967a925fa3cc.jpeg

f4cc76c5-15e0-4406-84a8-b73e97d7cb62.jpeg

14 shot on the 10th lol, i wish i had some picts of the 10 th :(

[quote name='golfnut9922' timestamp='1405381585' post='9700821']
I have a course close to my house that I play whenever it rains, best rain course in Tampa. It called Heritage Harbor, nothing fancy but has a really tough par 3 from the tips. I usually play from the blues (6000 ish yards), but it is rather short for my liking. I really have not played prom the tips(6898 yards) because of this hole.

#14 par 3 from the Blues 130 ish yards, from the tips 263 yards. It is a long par 3 and I think it is a bit much. You have to hit thru a 20 yards corridor thru the trees, and the under brush has not been cut in a long time. You cannot see the green or the flag stick from the tee box. So if you make it thru the trees you have to carry a pond about 30 yards short of the green. So a good poke is needed to clear it all, there is a little bail out to the right if you slice one a bit. Between the pond and the green there is also a big bunker to the left of the green.

Last week I played it and actually got a par. I hit my mini driver about 2 paces short of the green had a nice chip and easy putt. There are a few other quirky holes on the course, but this par 3 is the worst.

Gary
[/quote]

I shake my head when I drive by this hole every time haha. Never played from the tips there but I love the course and it's definitely the best deal around the area. Also love going for the green on 18 when we're playing up!

[quote name='Breesy' timestamp='1405428428' post='9703617']

Gary
[/quote]

I shake my head when I drive by this hole every time haha. Never played from the tips there but I love the course and it's definitely the best deal around the area. Also love going for the green on 18 when we're playing up!
[/quote]

LOL, I actually played this course once down there with my brother. I don't remember this hole being crazy, but then again we didn't play from the tips.

Locally, the most obnoxious par 3 I've played is #9 at the Greg Norman course in Lansdowne, VA. PLays in the 220-250 range, into a prevailing wind, and nearly entirely over water. From the blues I just clubbed way up and hit it long to be safe, but this entire course has those freaking turtleback greens.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='Breesy' timestamp='1405428428' post='9703617']

Gary
[/quote]

[/quote]

That is something I have never tried, I have thought about it though. It definately is a great value and like I said early best wet course I have ever played. I dont think I have ever played it as cart path only, even after the crazy rain we get down here.

TM SLDR 9.5 TP Stiff
Adams 9031 18* Diamana 82 HY Stiff
Titleist 712 U 3 iron
TM Burner 2.0 Project X 4-PW
Scor Wedges 50-54-58
Odyssey Tank #1 38"

The 10th hole at Crystal Springs is pretty crazy. Dogbone shaped green that can make the hole play very differently as its basically turns it into 2 different greens depending on pin placement. You're teeing off over a quarry about 100 feet above the putting surface making club selection interesting.

59011431.jpg

Tee is up by the condos.11th-Hole-II.jpg

The 11th hole at Crystal Springs is pretty crazy. Dogbone shaped green that can make the hole play very differently as its basically turns it into 2 different greens depending on pin placement. You're teeing off over a quarry about 100 feet above the putting surface making club selection interesting.

59011431.jpg

Tee is up by the condos.11th-Hole-II.jpg

Wow that's beautiful. We don't get elevation like that here in texas :(

[quote name='596' timestamp='1405383354' post='9701003']
Parker, AZ - Emerald Canyon - Drive to the top of a mountain. Walk out to the front edge of the tee box. 147 from the blues, 113 from the whites. Look straight down over a cliff to the green. Mark the pin location on a rock in the far side of the canyon. Walk back to the tee markers and hit a 56* wedge over the side of the cliff without seeing the flag or green at all. My ball actually buried itself in the green. It's WAY downhill. When you stand on the edge of the tee box you are actually looking nearly straight dwon onto the green. It's by far the coolest hole I've ever seen.

[b]Then again the very next hole is a par 5[/b]. You are in the bottom of the canyon near the par 3 green you just played. Your tee shot is slightly back up the canyon, but in between 2 canyons walls that are not but about 25 yards apart. Your tee shot MUST be in between the canyon walls. Everyone waiting to play the aforementioned par 3 is watching from above as your tee shots zips by below them. It's great fun!! My wifes tee shot actually imbedded in the right canyon wall. It was funny as hell!
[/quote]

I love Emerald. I've played it 10 times or so (never sober--it's the "river," after all). The hole after the par 3 is actually a par 4 not 5. In my opinion it's the toughest hole on the course. I've been on the right side mountain many times to avoid the ranger with the stop sign on the left side. Anyway, the hole you mentioned is probably the craziest par 3 I've ever played as well (I don't get out much, lol).

If you're ever there on an empty afternoon, and you get to the #5 par three, go to the white tee box, look over the cliff to your immediate right, and play that green also. So you'd be playing green #13 (I think) from the #5 white tee box. It's 80/90 yards long with the green way down there--good times. Go off at 2:00 p.m. in July and there's nobody out, except for you and the rattlers...

17th hole at University Ridge in Madison, WI. 240 forced carry over water from the black tees. Hole plays into the wind.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Second hole at Wills Creek Golf Club in Attalla (small town outside of Gadsden, Alabama). The course is generally pretty odd, but the second hole takes the cake. From the back tees it plays maybe 110 yards, but the green is perched on a plateau about 30-40 feet above the level of the tee box. You cannot see any part of the flag from the tee, there is a sign on the tee box indicating if the pin is in the front/middle/back and a white stake up by the green giving you the line. You basically have to hit the ball straight up in the air and to a precise distance. If you hit it too short it rolls down the plateau. Too long, and down you go on the other side.

It's pretty ridiculous.

You will have never heard of this hole or course, yet in our state it is almost universally acknowledged as the hardest and weirdest par 3 in the state. Palisades No. 4, Sterling, Utah, 180 yards over a canyon with a 70 ft drop in elevation. Swirling winds in the canyon make club selection a mere guess. The green is thin and sits perpendicular to the fees. A mountainside behind the hole act as a backboard to ricochet all long shots away. Anything short or right drops into the canyon.

I've played it about a dozen times and never hit the green with any shot. I've literally seen people drive straight to the drop zone to hit their 3rd without teeing off. They figure, "Why waste a ball?"

palisade2.jpg