2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bubba can't hit a shot for fun at pga

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1407248866' post='9861623']
So Bubba hit a 3i....I'm glad he didn't pull anything, or catch it fat. He could have damaged a wrist tendon, or had a rock or old tee fly up and hit him in the eye.

Or he could have just hit driver.....what a punk.
[/quote]

You sure seem to care a lot about this.....

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1407248347' post='9861581']
[url="http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/mobileweb/pgalongdrive/"]http://www.pga.com/p...b/pgalongdrive/[/url]

Even Kenny Perry got in on the long drive championship. He's about 100yrs old, and went 291yds.

Didn't pull anything, or hurt himself either.
[/quote]

People saying he didn't do it because he doesn't want to possibly hurt something yada yada yada, why? Why does he have to take a bigger swing than he ALREADY DOES on EVERY DRIVE. The guy goes after the ball harder than everyone except Phil and Tiger (maybe not this week...)

All he had to do was swing a driver like he always does and voilaaaaa! You are a contributing member of a good cause and fun event. But no, Bubba had to be Bubba and act like he was above someone elses idea. I mean give me a break, the guy goes into a random Golfsmith and take hacks right handed. Like that isn't risking an injury swinging a way you really never practice?

Goodness gracious...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1407249022' post='9861653']
So Bubba hit a 3i....I'm glad he didn't pull anything, or catch it fat. He could have damaged a wrist tendon, or had a rock or old tee fly up and hit him in the eye.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You've sure done a lot of analysis on what I may, or may not, care about. Seems like you care about me caring.

That's sweet.

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1407249208' post='9861697']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1407249022' post='9861653']

[/quote]

[/quote]

You've sure done a lot of analysis on what I may, or may not, care about. Seems like you care about me caring.

That's sweet.
[/quote]

Lol Nice defensive post there. Was just simply reading through the thread and see you keep posting essentially the same thing. I think your point is clear by now.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1407249567' post='9861745']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1407249493' post='9861737']
Lol Nice defensive post there. Was just simply reading through the thread and see you keep posting essentially the same thing. I think your point is clear by now.
[/quote]

Hall monitor in middle school?
[/quote]

Nope, you should probably just accept it and get over it that Bubba didn't participate in it...instead of hanging all over him on why he didn't, or should of.

Why so serious?

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

Jack Nicklaus has a lot of trophies, but he carries the winner's money clip with him routinely:

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/news/jack-nicklaus-calls-long-drive-contest-exciting-keeps-memento-him-day

Jack Nicklaus calls long drive contest "exciting," keeps memento with him to this day

Published: Friday, July 25, 2014 | 3:24 p.m.

[i]By John Holmes, PGA.com[/i]
For fans attending the PGA Championship, Tuesday is always a great day because it's the busiest day of preparation for the players. This year, Tuesday will be even more fun, thanks to the return of the PGA Championship Long Drive Competition.
The long drive contest was staged for several years in the 1950s and 1960s and then again in the 1970s and 1980s, and is best known for the fact that Jack Nicklaus won it both times he competed.
And if you think today's golfers are the undisputed kings of distance, check this out: The Bear won in 1963 in Dallas with a knock of 341 yards, and in 1964 in Columbus with a drive of 308 yards – in the rain! For both of those drives, Nicklaus swung a persimmon-headed driver with 11 degrees of loft and used a wound Titleist golf ball.
"I thought it was exciting. I thought it was fun to do," Nicklaus said. "You would go out, warm up, you played your last practice round. It was a great gallery favorite. The people came out and they watched it. You went out and saw big, long drives, things you probably wouldn't do in the tournament. I think it created some excitement."
For winning the 1963 competition, Nicklaus received a special money clip – which he has kept in his pocket for the last half-century as a constant reminder of a unique achievement.
"I've had it in my pocket for 51 years, very proud of it," he said. "It's a big talking point and I think it's going to be a nice event for [the PGA of America] to bring back."

...more at the link...

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1407249630' post='9861759']
...instead of hanging all over him...[/quote]

Kind of like how you are hanging all over me?

It's my new cologne, dude. You can buy some too, you don't need to be so close to me to catch a whiff. It's a big discussion board, find something you're interested in discussing and roll out.

Or keep jocking me -- your call.

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1407250051' post='9861823']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1407249630' post='9861759']
...instead of hanging all over him...[/quote]

Kind of like how you are hanging all over me?

It's my new cologne, dude. You can buy some too, you don't need to be so close to me to catch a whiff. It's a big discussion board, find something you're interested in discussing and roll out.

Or keep jocking me -- your call.
[/quote]
Lol....quite the defensive person. I asked you one question, and posted 3 things in response to what you said. Quite different then just continually bashing somebody in a thread for a decision they made, and where they can't respond....you think? . Had I know you would have gone off the deep end and not have been able to take one point and say something about that and act like a kitty caught Ina corner, I wouldn't have bothered.

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1407250163' post='9861833']I wouldn't have bothered.[/quote]

Seems like a generally useful tact, especially when you're so sensitive to rebuttals of your unsolicited, and snide, remarks.

Please continue though, the attention you're embellishing on me is quite flattering. I'll have to let the wife know the new cologne she picked out works so well, guys on the internet are jocking me now.

[quote name='jdl' timestamp='1407162050' post='9852755']
[quote name='Cicero' timestamp='1407157518' post='9852083']
IIRC, Bubba didn't want to enter ReMax for fear that working on hitting the ball for distance would mess up his timing. For a guy who has focus issues, it makes sense that he would want to focus just on the golf, since he's there to try to win a major.

I don't see why it would be an issue, other than maybe the author isn't a Bubba fan, and thus would be less than objective. This is not a big deal as I see it.
[/quote]

I don't see why Bubba couldn't just take his normal swing, if it's not enough to win this contest, so what?
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1407249049' post='9861661']
[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1407248347' post='9861581']
[url="http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/mobileweb/pgalongdrive/"]http://www.pga.com/p...b/pgalongdrive/[/url]

Even Kenny Perry got in on the long drive championship. He's about 100yrs old, and went 291yds.

Didn't pull anything, or hurt himself either.
[/quote]

People saying he didn't do it because he doesn't want to possibly hurt something yada yada yada, why? Why does he have to take a bigger swing than he ALREADY DOES on EVERY DRIVE. The guy goes after the ball harder than everyone except Phil and Tiger (maybe not this week...)

All he had to do was swing a driver like he always does and voilaaaaa! You are a contributing member of a good cause and fun event. But no, Bubba had to be Bubba and act like he was above someone elses idea. I mean give me a break, the guy goes into a random Golfsmith and take hacks right handed. Like that isn't risking an injury swinging a way you really never practice?

Goodness gracious...
[/quote]

yup, that's how a tool acts.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

so if bubba really hit a 3i during practice round but then during the actual competition pulls driver....how is that anything other than bubba simply refusing to participate and being a a**.

i'm stil unsure how this competition is held. if its one swing, one hole, during your practice round, does bubba have to actually tell someone not to measure his shot? could have have simply said nothing, hit driver (on a par 5) and if he loses so what.

i would have a completely different opinion had this been Remax style on the driving range, but have hard time understanding why bubba couldn't simply step up, smooth a driver, and move along to the next hole. win or lose, so what. instead, he has to make a point that he's out and then tee up a long iron. he hit a drive 424 last week. pretty sure it wouldn't kill him to hit driver for charity.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Its almost disturbing knowing Bubba's club choice can affect so many hacks.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

It's obviously Bubba's prerogative not to participate. However, it's just for fun. When guys don't want to enter the HR derby it's because they will have to take repeated swings at the ball and they tend to over swing. If they move on in the rounds... that's more over swinging. The PGA is asking him to take ONE swing. With his distance he wouldn't even have to step on it any harder than he normally does. I think it would be a great opportunity to help a cause and add an enjoyable element to the fans that are watching. Even if he took a 3/4 swing he would still end up crushing it and would get plenty of oohs and aahs from the gallery. Bad form bubba.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

He's "preparing" so much for the PGA that he decided to hit 3-iron off the tee rather than the driver which he said he'll hit every day during the actual tournament. The guy's a tool.

There was nothing to do differently for this "contest". Hit your drive, and they measure it, just like every other tee shot on the PGA tour when they display it on our TV, except this time they put it on a board for the fans to see.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1407259138' post='9863013']
Its almost disturbing knowing Bubba's club choice can affect so many hacks.
[/quote]

There's a very likely chance that Bubba is being difficult in this situation. Unaccommodating, at least.

Not sure the hack comment was necessary.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='deasy55' timestamp='1407264023' post='9863653']
He hit 3 iron on a driver hole just to spite the competition. Great prep bubba. Similar to how a hormonal teenager would behave.
[/quote]

He said he didn't want to get in the comp because he wants to play the hole the way he would in competition, yet he pulled out a 3 iron to prove a point, then went on to say he would hit driver during play.

Great logic Bubba!