Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this thread has taken a mean turn, and some of the posts are unreasonable low-blows. If a post falls outside acceptable standards, it should be deleted.

That said, there is a valid issue here for discussion. Hopefully, civil discussion. We're better than that, guys.

Bubba seems to go out of his way put his foot in his mouth and come off like a lot of self-entitled, pompous athletes. Bottom line: He is a two-time masters winner and has a game that is really fun to watch. He needs to start acting accordingly. He has shown a lack of respect for the game at times. There's a golf commercial where he says, "The game owes you nothing". Too bad he doesn't always seem to appreciate those words.

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Ping bronze J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

So, a bit of fun that could probably have got him $25000 for his charity of choice. Sorry but Bubba Seeks Attention Disorder comes into play.

That is BSAD or 'Bubba SAD'

which is also known as Bubba Is A Total CHild.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

Driver hole, practice round, hit a driver... if it happens to be the longest you get some money for charity... seems pretty simple. Absolutely No one would have a problem with this unless they just like being contrary.

Bubba is obviously one very moody individual. Catch him on a good day and he's prob. the life of the party. Catch him on a bad day and he'll go out of his way to be difficult just because.

I tried for a long time to like and support Bubba....we share our Christian faith, I love hitting driver, and I was all for his social media Schtick.

Pepp....I'm a fan man, I think you contribute a lot to this site and I'm glad ya do...keep it up, but in this case, I see no means of defending Bubba.

For starters, I don't personally care or 'demand' that he participate in this long drive contest. It wasn't televised to my knowledge and if it was, I was at the office and missed it, so I don't care if anybody begged out of it, but what really angered me were a couple things:

1) he was adamant about the fact that he didn't hit driver BECAUSE he was trying to "learn" the course and so he hit 3i and that he thought it was ridiculous when they're trying to prepare for such a great championship. In almost the same breath, he said he would hit driver on that hole during the week.

So if he didn't want to enter a separate long drive contest? Fine. No biggie, totally get it. It would mess my swing up no doubt. But this was in the course of a typical practice round where the point is to "learn the course." The only difference here is they were measuring drives -like they do every Thursday through Sunday- and giving money away for the longest 3. This whole concept is completely opposite his typical major prep if you can call it that as others have pointed out with his ridiculous videos (which I enjoy) prior to last year's PGA or the par3 at Augusta. He's being completely disingenuous and pretty smug and it is pretty lame in my opinion.

2) he said he doesn't really care about what people think about him and it didn't impact his decision. Again, ok....cool, except that's not how you act any other time of year. His entire persona is built around him sharing his life and personality with his "fans" "followers" whatever you want to call them. Hitting 300 yd drives left handed w a right handed driver, hitting golf balls through pumpkins, shots into pools, etc. if he didn't care what people thought, he'd do those things at Home with no cameras present and no need to post it. I'm glad he does post it, but again, don't talk out of both sides of your mouth and expect it to endear others.

3) This is a personal one for me, but really ticks me off...after saying he really doesn't care abt what others hunk, he immediately followed it with "I'm just trying to live my life and obey the Bible..."

Now before you mount your pot smoking horses....no, there's not an 11th commandment that says 'thou shalt hit driver on 10 at Valhalla' but my issue is how often he talks about his faith (and my faith) on television and then time and again looks like a jerk. Particularly in this case, there is ZERO relevance and connection between his faith and the decision to not hit driver. Multiple first person encounters with Bubba from members here who have been blown off, disrespected or ignored, and then stuff like today, passing on a chance to give to charity and clearly only doing so to be difficult....it just doesn't sit well with me. Not here to start a religious debate by any stretch, but I hate to think that those who interact with Bubba and are treated like I mentioned earlier form opinions of Christians based solely on these stunts.

Anyways....it just was poor form. He doesn't owe us anything at all. But I am really disappointed at his behavior time and again. Would never wish any ill on him, but a couple wayward drives on 10 would seem fitting at this point.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

I don't see what the big deal is.

This type of thing is no different than a slam-dunk contest. Nor is it much different than a home-run contest

You don't see any professional baseball or basketball players protesting those events do ya?

Bubba just thinks it makes the PGA tour look like a circus event where the freaks get put on display and the media makes more money. TRUE, it probably does bring in more cash. But look at it this way: GOLF IS HURTING, and if that means lining up a bunch of PGA pros to slam some drives and dazzle a crowd to perhaps draw more people into the sport, then so be it.

Get over it Bubba.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

The difference is the All Stars don't have to practice that shot. Bubba was going to play that hole for practice anyway. He still went thru with that shot, only with a protest 3iron. What was he protesting? Fun? His charity?

I was so so on Bubba before but this incident makes him look stupid. Protest something significant.

I still don't really understand what exactly he is "protesting"? Has he ever played in a Pro AM? Golf is truly meant to be fun and the reason there is a PGA Tour is for entertainment and endorsements. That's why there is TV coverage, sponsor signs everywhere, ProAms, etc. He should have just kept his mouth shout if he didn't want to do it. Does he think he is the Long Drive Ambassador or something.

Like someone said above, he seems like a moody bloke. You never know who you are gonna get. But seems like a little jerk in him is always ready to bust out.

[size="3"][color="#000000"]From a comment on the wrx blog that sums up Bubba pretty well.....[/color][/size][i][size="3"][color="#000000"]Bubba is a mental midget and doesn't think before he speaks or makes decisions. His moods change with the breeze and he’s goofy and fun Bubba one minute….and angry and irrational Bubba the next minute.[/color][/size][/i]
[i][color=#000000][size=4]This wasn’t an imposition on ANYBODY. They were all hitting drivers anyway. Fans packed the hole hoping to see guys airing it out…funny, Bubba was the only one with this weird protest. Then, he tried to act like it made sense in his press conference.[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=4]Bubba is a strange guy that looks like he might have a mental breakdown at some point. I’d imagine his wife feels like she’s taking care of a 6-year old.[/size][/color][/i]

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1407298944' post='9867919']

This type of thing is no different than a slam-dunk contest. Nor is it much different than a home-run contest

You don't see any professional baseball or basketball players protesting those events do ya?

[/quote]

It's absolutely different, because the slam-dunk and HR contest is outside of regular play, while this long-drive contest was not.

The analogy would be if MLB would award a "most home runs" prize to the guy who happened to hit the most home runs in the all-star game, or a "best dunk" in the course of the NBA all-star game.

I'm frankly beginning to think Bubba is just a simpleton with no common sense.

[quote name='PZero' timestamp='1407279082' post='9865551']
[quote name='wcb231' timestamp='1407278467' post='9865499']
There was one writer that said Pat Perez looked like he didn't like it
[/quote]

He isn't exactly known as being Mr. Nice guy either.
[/quote]

Not too many long drive contests on the Web.com or at the Frys.com Open each year

It was interesting to note during the press conference - after he had been re-The questioned about his rationale for not joining in, it seemed like he started to feel the pressure. Bubba suddenly dropped the bible reference - as if that made it all better. Bubba - lots of folks read the bible - it's not about your religious beliefs. it's about joining in a competition for the entertainment value and giving back to the fans who buy your "Turbulator technology".

The guy is lost and I can't believe his wife doesn't talk to him about his many public issues.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1407332852' post='9869651']

[/quote]

It's absolutely different, because the slam-dunk and HR contest is outside of regular play, while this long-drive contest was not.

The analogy would be if MLB would award a "most home runs" prize to the guy who happened to hit the most home runs in the all-star game, or a "best dunk" in the course of the NBA all-star game.

I'm frankly beginning to think Bubba is just a simpleton with no common sense.
[/quote]

actually MLB or NBA would have to give awards for HR/Dunks during practice games for it to be close to the same...

Come on guys he probably thought he could win the contest with a 3 iron...........that's Bubba Long

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I'd originally posted that Bubba can do what he wants in his preparation for the last major of the season. I do have to acquiesce that hitting 3 iron on a hole where he's said that he'll hit driver every day is odd to say the least. If he's doing it to protest something I'd have to say I'm extremely curious as to what exactly he's protesting.

[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1407145804' post='9851491']
He finds a lot of ways to make people dislike him
[/quote]

Too boot, wasnt this for charity? Bubba golf "piss, b****, and moan" Ping needs to send him to a PR class

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1407280001' post='9865635']
Bubba is one of the biggest jerks in golf who conveniently hides behind his faith and the adoption of his son to cover up the fact he is a miserable human being.
[/quote]

Spot on Brother Poppy

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1407182805' post='9856065']
[quote name='jimb' timestamp='1407168787' post='9853941']
I don't root against a player, even when they are my opponent in a tournament or a match. But it is hard to root for Bubba. And I am a lefty that plays all Ping equipment. What this demonstrates I think, is how fragile Bubba's psyche is. His thing is "Bubba Long" and if he isn't the longest at the long drive tournament he perceives some ridicule, like "Bubba Not Long Enough". The G30 is being marketed big time right now. Ego, ego, ego.
[/quote]

Lol....Is that what it demonstrates? Fragile pysche? Nobody, even the guys that despise Bubba would say he isnt one of if not the longest out there. Simply not wanting to do this, dpesnt change that. The same as when LeBron doesnt do the slam dunk contest, you'd be wrong to think he isn't a good dunker. Him simply not participating in some sideshow long drive tourney doesn't change anything
[/quote]

One point I am making is no one really would care if Bubba won or didn't win the long drive contest. Especially when he stated he will hit the driver on the 10th hole all four rounds. Not doing it for the reasons he cited is not only weird, but he could have contributed money to the charity of his choice. He is quirky weird and has a huge ego. Example: How about the time the Bubba is in a tournament in 2007, I think it was the Travelers, and he hit an 8 iron over the green to prove to his caddy (who said he couldn't hit the 8 iron over the green) he could hit it 204 yards? In the follow through he chastises his caddie by saying, "Don't ever tell me I can hit an 8 iron 204 yds. Sorry, that's a little nuts and egotistical. Then in his press conference at the PGA (2014) when asked about why he didn't compete in the LD contest he says he doesn't care what people think of him one way or the other. He just reads and lives the Bible. Huh? What does the Bible have to do with the LD contest? LoL. He is a nut job, with a huge ego. He is entitled not to participate, I get it, but I also don't have to root for him and that's my point.

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1407161785' post='9852691']
[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1407161121' post='9852557']
[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1407160973' post='9852531']
[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1407160046' post='9852389']
It's one swing. He does enough goofy stuff on his instagram and twitter accounts. He's even done this:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJShtDsEb48"]https://www.youtube....h?v=vJShtDsEb48[/url]

and this:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7kD1TJxU5w"]https://www.youtube....h?v=h7kD1TJxU5w[/url]
[/quote]

Not that I totally disagree with you but "one swing" is all it takes to hurt yourself... ask Tiger.

I was getting my tomato pots ready for the this year and I did one wrong move and went down. Couldn't walk for 2 days. Had to get 3 nerve blocks and still couldn't play for 2 weeks.

As far as the videos, it's a promotion, he's working. When I have a crowd around me I swing a bit harder and if there is a Long Drive marker out there I, for some odd reason, swing totally different than normal.

The football field... not sure what was going on there... but again, it's a different atmosphere.

Can you imagine the headlines if he pulled something?? "Idiot Bubba has to WD because of LD contest." Then the anti-bubba crew can post about that. It's a lose/lose for him.
[/quote]

It's not that he is winning when he refuses to hit one driver for the fans... Go hit that ___ driver and go back doing that same shot on the range, don't really understand why the guy is so weird
[/quote]

what fans?? According to a plethora of threads, Bubba is the most hated man on the tour. Why should he go out of his way for them?
[/quote]
lol. how could a man of god possibly not be liked by anyone but his family? He just tries to do what the bible says.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1407332852' post='9869651']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Gimme a break man!! It's ONE SWING!!!!

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback