2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413594942' post='10307713']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413593928' post='10307615']
[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1413592831' post='10307533']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413592282' post='10307481'][quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413591257' post='10307401']
Tai.....even with the shallower face , did the FLEX launch any lower than expected? Seems like an oxymoron. ....shallow face but low launch. ....realizing that cg low forward plays into the flight.....can you compare it to SLDR?
[/quote]

It did. We went from 9.5 from the mid setting to the 10.5 low setting, and kept going back and forth between 9.5 mid/low and 10.5 low and also the neutral and right setting. We were probably messing around with about 4 solid settings back and forth before we settled on 9.5 mid. The crazy part is that in the mid setting the club is easier to turn over and will bump the spin up about 200ish rpms. The 9.5 low setting was lower in spin and more fade biased, almost a different driver just by flipping the flex flight cartridge. On 9.5 low, my spin was sub 2000 rpms, which is probably the only driver I've been able to get down that low. Ball flight is just ridiculous.. and this time we got to verify everything on the golf course, which was really great to see. I want to get it out to my club asap to see where it puts me in comparison to my normal spots with the SLDR.

Also, the sound is incredible. Has a really unique hotmelted sound to it.. sort of FT Tour-ish but swap the composite sounds with a muted metallic sound.[/quote]

Tai, thanks for the great info. How was the forgiveness of the flex? I'm sure that was maybe the greatest difference so I'm hearing how the balance of performance and forgiveness are for all models. Congrats on a great experience.
[/quote]

First of all I'm not Tai - but can give you my quick input. There is a MOI difference between the FLEX and PRO for sure - however if the right guy hits it - it can produce straighter shots. The compression channel helps keep miss hits in check distance wise and with the appropriate fitting and numbers you can really manage your miss. I felt the FLEX was as easy if not easier to hit online and square up than the other two. First, it just fit my eye. Second, the balance point and weight of the driver made swings that weren't tired scorched on a bullet line. Third, (more to come in my review) the accoustics don't make you brace or anticipate the hit or impact. We discussed the head sounding like a VR LTD / FT TOUR blend. It is low pitched and quick sound. When your not waiting for impact you free flow it through the hitting zone.

I hit the SPEED head very straight but off line.
[/quote]

Does the FLEX look more in line with vr limited or covert tour 1.0 ? More please!
[/quote]

Not trying to spoon feed... Running off the same sleep the other guys had :)

Refined LTD. Shape is perfect.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flex and pro sound amazing look forward to the reviews

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1413514245' post='10303151']
[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1413512559' post='10303001']
Nice pictures and info by the participants

Question : the builds which where completed at the Oven, its a tour facility, the fairway equipment they built for ya'll, where the heads measured like Tour Issue stuff?
[/quote]

Rory's driver he used at the Ryder Cup was pulled from a box full of stock product. There is no such this as "Tour Issue". No pixie dust. No special testing. What you buy at retail is what professionals are using on tour.
[/quote]

Keep it up @bjackson...that kind of lip may get you banned until 2035

Ping G425 LST w/ GD Tour AD DI 7

TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti w/ Kuro Kage 70

Ping G425 4H w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

TaylorMade P790 5-PW w/ MMT 125

Ping i210 UW

Ping Glide 4 Stealth 54/58

Ping PLD Olso 3

does the flex have the graphics on the crown like the others? i dont see it but maybe its just the camera

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1413596421' post='10307843']

Question : the builds which where completed at the Oven, its a tour facility, the fairway equipment they built for ya'll, where the heads measured like Tour Issue stuff?
[/quote]

Rory's driver he used at the Ryder Cup was pulled from a box full of stock product. There is no such this as "Tour Issue". No pixie dust. No special testing. What you buy at retail is what professionals are using on tour.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ , all I asked if the heads where measured, not the tour vs retail debate

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1413596766' post='10307873']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jesus Christ , all I asked if the heads where measured, not the tour vs retail debate
[/quote]

T'was sarcasm from my friend Sakman

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1413597167' post='10307901'][quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1413596766' post='10307873']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

T'was sarcasm from my friend Sakman[/quote]

Lol, just for you pal!

Great updates from all those involved. Keep em' coming!

Ping G425 LST w/ GD Tour AD DI 7

TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti w/ Kuro Kage 70

Ping G425 4H w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

Titleist 718 T-MB 4i w/ GD Tour AD DI 85

TaylorMade P790 5-PW w/ MMT 125

Ping i210 UW

Ping Glide 4 Stealth 54/58

Ping PLD Olso 3

So I think it is time I start chiming in..As the old man in the group (46) I'm not a huge fan of posting on my Iphone...

In my fitting, I literally tested all three drivers equally. I have played the Performance 1.0 and 2.0 since inception. I've tested every other driver released since, and for ME nothing hit more fairways than the Covert.

Now I don't want to give away too much form my review. But let's say this.

The Flex is BY FAR the sexiest driver of the three. Maybe the sexiest driver on the PLANET. But there is a reason the SLDR 430 craze resulted in so many on the BST.

MOI Counts.

For the people that are high ballspeed/high spin players, like Pure and Swan, the benefits can outweigh the downside.

And lets make this clear. THE FLEX IS NO SLDR. The MOI is significantly higher. And the shape and setup is quite possibly perfect.

But for my 100 or so swingspeed, I was able to dial spin down with ALL THREE DRIVERS.

Was the flex the lowest? YUP. But I am down to 2300 on the pro. And 2600 on the Speed.

And the shape of the speed is so good, I was hitting it for a while thinking I was hitting the pro. Really.

And I haven't even addressed the issue of feel...

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1413596670' post='10307857']
does the flex have the graphics on the crown like the others? i dont see it but maybe its just the camera
[/quote]

It does have the same graphics. Not very noticeable at address, if at all. I think you will find the Flex model pretty intriguing.. I haven't seen a driver that has been this low/low for me in a while.

[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1413597670' post='10307943']
I am very interested in the Flex as I'm a huge Vr Tour guy, and also the performance fairways. I am currently trying to decide between the Covert Performance tour issue and Covert 2 Performance. Tour issue better off the tee by far but much harder to elevate.
[/quote]

Go with the Flex. The Flex fairway wood was based off of Rory's "tour only" model, strong lofted VR LTD.. basically the same exact footprint + adjustability is what is now the Flex version. I'm 99% sure I quoted that right :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413598165' post='10307971']So I think it is time I start chiming in..As the old man in the group (46) I'm not a huge fan of posting on my Iphone...

In my fitting, I literally tested all three drivers equally. I have played the Performance 1.0 and 2.0 since inception. I've tested every other driver released since, and for ME nothing hit more fairways than the Covert.

The Flex is BY FAR the sexiest driver of the three. Maybe the sexiest driver on the PLANET. But there is a reason the SLDR 430 craze resulted in so many on the BST.

MOI Counts.

For the people that are high ballspeed/high spin players, like Pure and Swan, the benefits can outweigh the downside.

And lets make this clear. THE FLEX IS NO SLDR. The MOI is significantly higher. And the shape and setup is quite possibly perfect.

But for my 100 or so swingspeed, I was able to dial spin down with ALL THREE DRIVERS.

Was the flex the lowest? YUP. But I am down to 2300 on the pro. And 2600 on the Speed.

And the shape of the speed is so good, I was hitting it for a while thinking I was hitting the pro. Really.

And I haven't even addressed the issue of feel...[/quote]

Good stuff! Sounds like I have more similar swing characteristics with you so I'm definitely looking forward to your full review!

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413598165' post='10307971']So I think it is time I start chiming in..As the old man in the group (46) I'm not a huge fan of posting on my Iphone...

MOI Counts.

Can't wait to read your review Scott and hear what you were fitted for. The suspense is building.

Titleist 910 D2 - GD AD DI6
Titleist 917 F2 16.5* - GD AD DI7
Titleist 620 MB 4-P DGS300 
Titleist Vokey SM7 
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
ProV1x

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413598165' post='10307971']
So I think it is time I start chiming in..As the old man in the group (46) I'm not a huge fan of posting on my Iphone...

MOI Counts.

And I haven't even addressed the issue of feel...
[/quote]
Thanks Scott ! Now get back to work and get us the full review with pictures! ?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413598331' post='10307991'][quote name='J13' timestamp='1413596670' post='10307857']
[/quote]

It does have the same graphics. Not very noticeable at address, if at all. I think you will find the Flex model pretty intriguing.. I haven't seen a driver that has been this low/low for me in a while.

[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1413597670' post='10307943']
I am very interested in the Flex as I'm a huge Vr Tour guy, and also the performance fairways. I am currently trying to decide between the Covert Performance tour issue and Covert 2 Performance. Tour issue better off the tee by far but much harder to elevate.
[/quote]

Go with the Flex. The Flex fairway wood was based off of Rory's "tour only" model, strong lofted VR LTD.. basically the same exact footprint + adjustability is what is now the Flex version. I'm 99% sure I quoted that right :)[/quote]

Pure- what is the footprint and head size of the speed/flex relative to the covert fwy models? Are they pretty small and compact like the 2.0/ltd?

Titleist Vokey SM7 
ProV1x

[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1413598383' post='10307999'][quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413598165' post='10307971']So I think it is time I start chiming in..As the old man in the group (46) I'm not a huge fan of posting on my Iphone...

MOI Counts.

Good stuff! Sounds like I have more similar swing characteristics with you so I'm definitely looking forward to your full review![/quote]

The same for me!

[quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1413598695' post='10308029']

Pure- what is the footprint and head size of the speed/flex relative to the covert fwy models? Are they pretty small and compact like the 2.0/ltd?
[/quote]

I believe the flex is the smaller of the two, and based on the model Rory used to hit the sick 3 wood to 8 feet at the PGA

The Speed has grown in size and the standard shaft is a half inch longer than the flex. While it is still compact, it seems that Nike looked to differentiate the two lines

[quote name='w8liftr' timestamp='1413598901' post='10308047']
[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1413598383' post='10307999'][quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413598165' post='10307971']So I think it is time I start chiming in..As the old man in the group (46) I'm not a huge fan of posting on my Iphone...

MOI Counts.

Good stuff! Sounds like I have more similar swing characteristics with you so I'm definitely looking forward to your full review![/quote]

The same for me!
[/quote]

Thanks boys. Feel free to fire away.

We had to have one guy on the trip with mortal swing speed...

The interesting thing tho is that I have have had the highest handicap of the bunch since I'm up to a 2 right now...lol

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413599291' post='10308075']Another little tease. And most shocking fact of the trip.

The speed 3 iron had 2 MPH more ballspeed than my 913H 19 degree hybrid...

Causing me to rethink the club that has been in my bag the longest...and most trusted under pressure[/quote]

You get your combo iron set dialed in and figured out?

Titleist Vokey SM7 
ProV1x

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413599067' post='10308061'][quote name='w8liftr' timestamp='1413598901' post='10308047']

MOI Counts.

The same for me!
[/quote]

Thanks boys. Feel free to fire away.

We had to have one guy on the trip with mortal swing speed...

The interesting thing tho is that I have have had the highest handicap of the bunch since I'm up to a 2 right now...lol[/quote]

Low man with a 2? That's scary, lol.

I'll wait for your report before bombarding you with questions.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413599291' post='10308075']
Another little tease. And most shocking fact of the trip.

Causing me to rethink the club that has been in my bag the longest...and most trusted under pressure
[/quote]

Speed 3 iron was almost as long as my 712u 2 iron.. into the wind, it didn't even move. I will attest to Scott's new Vapor results, once he got it figured out, he hit some amazing drives with it. Swanry was also hitting the Flex very well, it was great to see and was a lot of fun to see everyone enjoying their new results on a course like Shady Oaks.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413599638' post='10308097']

Causing me to rethink the club that has been in my bag the longest...and most trusted under pressure
[/quote]

Speed 3 iron was almost as long as my 712u 2 iron.. into the wind, it didn't even move. I will attest to Scott's new Vapor results, once he got it figured out, he hit some amazing drives with it. Swanry was also hitting the Flex very well, it was great to see and was a lot of fun to see everyone enjoying their new results on a course like Shady Oaks.
[/quote]

It hurt a little bit to see Pure's misses fly my solid drives by 20...but that's a testament to the tech in the flex...and swingspeed of course!

Of course there was the drive on 9 I hit...415 par 4 that left my 73.4 in...

OK OK it was a little downhill and downwind!

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413599899' post='10308111']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It hurt a little bit to see Pure's misses fly my solid drives by 20...but that's a testament to the tech in the flex...and swingspeed of course!

[/quote]
Tai hit iron right behind? The Vapor 3 iron sounds very promising.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413599899' post='10308111'][quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413599638' post='10308097']

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK OK it was a little downhill and downwind![/quote]
Brother we gotta take those when we can get 'em!!!

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1413600226' post='10308125']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

No, mine was just behind the greenside bunker :) Scott roasted that ball though.. I hit a few of my own that will be stored in the memory banks :)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[/quote]

[/quote]
Speed 3 iron how does it compare to the Vapor PC 2 iron?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1413600226' post='10308125']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

HEY! That's not playing nice!

Actually his mishit driver left him 72....