Ecco vs Footjoy

texcrom

Needed some shoes, and bought some Footjoys on sale that ended up being mis-sized. The left shoe was not a "wide" like the right shoe. Kudos to Golfsmith for no questions and full credit, as the shoes had been worn twice.

Anyway, kind of dead in the store, so the guy in the shoe area had plenty of time. Strongly suggested the Eccos as most comfortable and best quality, but they evidently do not come in wide sizes.

Then tried the Footjoy Contour Casual and DryJoy Tour Casual, both in wide sizes. Both felt better on my feet, and just wondered about the quality of the two in comparison to the Ecco. The shoe guy said the Ecco's would stretch slightly once worn, but based on pricing that was about an $80-$100 bet on my part.

Also, my first venture into the spikeless realm, and with a trip this weekend, wondered if there were any thoughts.

Thanks.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Ecco beats all others hands down. Way better quality and comfort, excellent durability.
I have 4 pairs of Ecco golf shoes.
I bought 1 pair of black Foot Joy DNA with laces and wore them for about 20 rounds - walking of course, $200.00
I threw them out yesterday after my round. A cleat fell out (the first one in many years of other brands especially Adidas; also Nike, Ecco) the laces won't stay tight so I am re-tightening them 3 or 4 times per round, they dis-coloured most of the way around with white stain marks not dissimilar to sweat marks on a cap that would not wash off, and just generally degraded in support so as to make the swing feel loose at the feet.

Good riddance, and no more Foot Joy for me.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

My Ecco Biom Hybrids are like wearing a old comfortable pair of slippers if I am walking they are always worn. I have FJ Contour Casuals which are about 18 months old and still going strong, and a a pair of Adidas Gripmores. The Adidas look wider on the toe but are nowhere near as comfortable as the Eccos, especially when walking a round.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

I wear nothing but Footjoy. Bought a pair of the Dryjoys Casual and love them. They have held up very well and are super comfortable. When I bought the Dryjoys it was my intention to buy a pair of the Ecco Biom Hybrid. Loved the look of the Ecco but just couldn't get comfortable wearing them...they didn't fit my feet very well. Footjoy is just the best fit for me. I suggest go with what is more comfortable for you...nothing worse than having sore feet while trying to play golf. Brand name, style, etc...should never trump comfort!

6 'tall. 188 lbs. I've got a low volume foot with a D width. All sorts of irregularities. My hockey skates and ski boots need all manner of customization. That being said, the Ecco Biom's didnt hold my heel. Damn, cause they had lime green soles. I've found the Footjoy Coutours (saddle style) shoes, are great right from the start. Dry Joys also work for me. The My Joy options are sick. Adidas and Nike have a last that just doesn't wrap my foot in comfort and I walk so…Bigger issue for me Lifespan. I want a season out of 'em (spikes not applicable). Is this reasonable?

I spent several hours at the beginning of the season shopping for new shoes. I really need to have comfortable golf shoes as my feet at 63 are usually sore. I do like Footjoys, but after trying on the Ecco Biom with Yak leather, the spikeless, I went ahead and bought them. My only concern was what kind of wear the spikeless bottom would show at the end of the year.
Well, it's pretty much the end of the year, I have played a lot of golf, and they still look and feel brand new. I am super impressed. When I say feel brand new, I mean the moment I put them on back in the spring, I knew they were the ones for me. And they look terrific too, I've had several people come up to me on the course and ask 'Are those golf shoes?'... I would highly recommend these shoes. Now I probably go one step further than most people, but I also use Superfeet insoles in all my shoes, so I put some of them in as well, although you probably wouldn't need them, I am just sold on Superfeet [url="http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals"]http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals[/url] and for the golf shoes I use the black ones. Gives you perfect foundation and comfort throughout the swing process.

Footjoys on the upper end were too tight in my normal sizing... they really smashed the forefoot together. The Ecco Biom Hybrids were better, BUT the Ecco Biom, the $240 retail shoe in real leather, is great. The spikes are fine and it is a semi-free type shoe. After wearing True for 3 years, it's more difficult to feel the slope of the greens, but it can be done. Found a deal on the Biom when Amazon was having a fall sale at $100 below retail... I believe the Biom will last many years if you keep it.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I've been going back and forth between the Footjoy DNA and the Ecoo Biom Hybrid Zero for most of the year. I'm about 80% on the Ecco's and the rest with the DNA's. I like the Footjoy's just fine, but they first pair I got from my Pro Shop started coming apart 3 rounds in, Footjoy replaced them, albeit not quickly, but I have still leaned towards to Biom's for the majority of my golf. They are super light weight and for me the feel you get on the greens and actually just being that 1/4" closer to the green on the spikeless I have found really improves my putting. The DNA's are fully waterproof though, they can be soaked and you are bone dry inside the shoe, the Ecco's waterproofing has ceased to be about a year in, foot is soaked on a dew covered morning by the 5th hole. No fun on wet cold mornings.

I also have a narrower longer foot though, and the Footjoy M width I found to be wider than the Ecco. So if it's width you are looking for, I would go FJ. As far as build quality, I have had issues with both, but the DNA's gave me trouble sooner than later.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I have a pair of Footjoy Contour Casuals purchased this past spring. I just played a round in heavy dew and my feet were soaked. I also slipped a few times in the rough, once actually falling down. I'm now rethinking the whole spikeless idea and considering some DryJoys.

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Driver
Ping G25 4-Wood
Ping G25 20*,23*, 27* Hybrids
Ping G25 6-U Irons
Ping iWedge 56 & 60
Ping Karsten TR Anser 2

[quote name='raduray' timestamp='1414633328' post='10371447']
I have a pair of Footjoy Contour Casuals purchased this past spring. I just played a round in heavy dew and my feet were soaked. I also slipped a few times in the rough, once actually falling down. I'm now rethinking the whole spikeless idea and considering some DryJoys.
[/quote]

I've noticed my feet slipping during the swing when I wear spikeless shoes. I might keep some around for regular fun days, but I'm unlikely to wear them in tournaments now.

The last two shops I've worked in haven't carried Ecco. They make a GREAT product, but they're a little tougher to do business with than FJ as a smaller shop (higher minimums for example). I've made the move to Allen Edmonds given my preference for welted shoes (ie: FJ Classics or Ecco World Class), and I don't regret it.

Sidebar: If you're slipping in a pair of spikeless shoes with decent traction (say a Biom Hybrid as opposed to a teaching shoe), you should really work on your footwork. It will greatly benefit your swing in the long run.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1415377795' post='10411259']
The last two shops I've worked in haven't carried Ecco. They make a GREAT product, but they're a little tougher to do business with than FJ as a smaller shop (higher minimums for example). I've made the move to Allen Edmonds given my preference for welted shoes (ie: FJ Classics or Ecco World Class), and I don't regret it.

Sidebar: If you're slipping in a pair of spikeless shoes with decent traction (say a Biom Hybrid as opposed to a teaching shoe), you should really work on your footwork. It will greatly benefit your swing in the long run.
[/quote]

I am not a fan of Ecco's, as they don't fit my feet and the one pair I had fell apart in a few months. I love Allen Edmonds dress shoes and am in the market for a pair of their golf shoes. I am yet to find a pair of shoes that I like more than FJ Icons. I know Ecco has a good reputation, but I did not have a good experience.

[quote name='Twitch12' timestamp='1415394694' post='10412563']

[/quote]

I am not a fan of Ecco's, as they don't fit my feet and the one pair I had fell apart in a few months. I love Allen Edmonds dress shoes and am in the market for a pair of their golf shoes. I am yet to find a pair of shoes that I like more than FJ Icons. I know Ecco has a good reputation, but I did not have a good experience.
[/quote]
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds that I really like, but as far as comfort goes nothing beats my Icons, although the Adipures come close.
I am a bit of a shoe ho.....
[attachment=2489049:recave13.jpg]

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've been wearing the Ecco Biom Hybrids for a couple of season, and have found them to be both comfortable and durable. I find them to be just a smidge narrow and will be looking for a slightly wider shoe next time. Not so narrow that they are uncomfortable, but aesthetically... they make my feet look fat, which is slightly demoralizing.

[/quote]The only thing with AE's golf shoes is they aren't totally waterproof. Golf Locker is having a crazy sale right now.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1415419358' post='10414339']

[/quote]

[/quote]
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds that I really like, but as far as comfort goes nothing beats my Icons, although the Adipures come close.
I am a bit of a shoe ho.....
[attachment=2489049:recave13.jpg]
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. I threw a bunch of shoes out this year, and I still have close to 20 pairs. I order two pair of all white Icons each year, as that is my go to shoe. I usually end up picking up 2-3 other pairs per season. I travel a lot for work, and I spend my spare time in golf shops or at courses and or driving ranges in those towns. I can't turn down a good deal.

Ecco Biom Hybrid Yak. Love them

Callaway Fusion 9* KK XT
Callaway Fusion 15* VTS Black
Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Tensei CK Blue
Mizuno JPX EZ 4 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-P Adila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 50 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland CBX 54 Aldila RIP SLT 115
Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 58 Aldila RIP 115
MannKrafted Putter Du Jour