2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Back to life, back to reality (blades for me)

cb24

At the inlaws for thanksgiving....my father in law has a nice field behind his house and a plethora of garage sale style irons and such. I went threw it all for him and aside from 3 really old acushnet bulls eyes, it is all kinda junk. So I couldn't resist and I grabbed a wilson harmonized super old school rusty shaft wedge, as this was the top choice among what was available. So I hit some chips, some halfs, a handfull of 3/4s, and one full shot before I realized the full shot was stupid and I need to be smart and put the club down (remember, I just rebroke a rib that was still healing from hitting balls too soon).

So here is what is interesting. The club looks old, it looks like crap. My kinda full shot was beautiful, the 3/4s were all nice, and I had nice touch chipping to the PVC "pins". It felt better than a vokey (to me, and I don't think vokeys feel terrible), trajectory was fine, everything was fine. Now I could tell from my initial warm ups that it would rattle you some on a good mis, but that aside, I bet if there was a way to make that piece look new and stamp (enter your favorite oem here) on it, priced it at $145 and put it in stores, people would buy it and be happy with it. Made me think of this thread......

Also, can we clearly define sweetspot because this needs clarification before we move forward. This pros hit the sweetspot 50% of the time is BS. I do substantially better than that. The sweetspot for me would be:

Depending on the iron, 3/4"-1 1/8"(club depending) about 2 grooves up on the face going another 1/2" from there.

Your local church scramble 3 handicap doesn't miss that box, let alone a tour player with the heart of that the size of a dime worn out. The sweetspot is not the perfect pinpoint that is technically the epicenter of balance, it is the area around that which yields expected distance and feel. If it feels right, and the distance is repeatable for all shots that feel that way, that is the sweetspot, and even on my blades it is at least 3/4" x 1/2" and more like 1" x 1/2" and another thing not mentioned, a sweetspot is wider than taller, or at least in any club I have played. A real reason to not play blades is not this atrocious toe mishit crap that is over exaggerated, but if you can't hit the 2-5 grooves, that is trouble.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1417040405' post='10507695']
[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1417031248' post='10507051']
T.
That is a great idea. (sorry for the late reply but I had to figure out your collar angle joke. Knew you were a baaaaad boy).
And it may actually keep the cost under limit for import taxes if I buy it from the US ebay. Thing is… thanks to all those he-men posing with their blades and white belts most of the second hands are fitted with heavy shafts like DG 300S and I would like something more in the Dynalite class. Perfect would be Project X pxi 5,5 but they are not around.

But it is still an excellent idea. Maybe the UK ebay. Because second hand here… Forget it. Will have to check out shipping costs
[/quote]

the bridgestones typically come with project x flighted and the pings often w. their private branded shafts which are fine shafts and on the lighter side. think some callaway tweeners come w. lighter weight shafts, and i;m sure some others.

[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1417030631' post='10507007']
So here is what I honestly don't get. And please do not read this as an argument in GI versus blade. It is honestly something I just don't understand. I have done some experimenting while this thread has been going. Side by side comparison with AP2 and TP9 and my conclusion so far is that the TP9 are not nearly as difficult to hit as I thought.

In previous post I have noted where I actually could see an advantage in using the TP9 but those are of subjective character. But on one point of distance I just cannot find a physical explanation. I hit the TP9 a tad longer. And since the AP's are stronger lofted by 2* it just does not make sense. Does anyone have a possible physical explanation for this?
[/quote]

i believe in achem's razor and all that abba dabba, so my simple notion is that the ap2's really arent so easy to flush hit and thats why you arent noticing much difference compared to your blades. thats what i found anyway. they do launch higher and i really didnt like the ball feel...they didnt even feel 'carbon steel' to me. now if you would compare some of the irons i;ve been mentioning even to the ap2 (not to mention your blades) i think you would notice a significant difference. the ap2's have a compact head..there really isnt any magic dust that will turn a real compact head into a forgiving iron
[/quote]
Thanks for the shaft tips. Good info for me. I will give your suggestions try. At least the s55's.

Its a bit of a naaaah on your last suggestion. I do hit the AP's pretty flush most of the time. Now it can be that the perimeter weighting, tungsten and vibration damper conceals so my shots are not as flush as they feel. I will admit though that they do launch high for me. That could be a point. Anyway I am pretty happy with my lengths even if it is not long for wrx. So in trying new irons I am not looking for me length. I only mentioned this distance thing because it does not make sense at all. I am in the minority here but I like the feel go the AP's. Of course I haven't tried as many irons as you guys have. My TP9 does not have the soft feel either. I think we labeled the feel as authoritative.

[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1417033607' post='10507241']
Thanks Shoot. You just sent Vater to extensive google look-up with your mashie mishie swupie things :taunt:
I get you totally on the feel in hands. Feel like throwing a little anecdote (noooooooot analogy for gods sake… anecdote)

You may have noticed christmas is approaching. For me that is season for a huge amount of visiting-clients-with-gifts. With the gifts I also give a christmas card. And I have made it a tradition to handwrite a personal greeting to each client. Many years (15 actually) ago my friends chipped in and gave me an original Mont Blanc fountain pen. Maybe you know them but I tell you the quality of those things are extraordinary good. Anyway in writing these cards I always use this pen. It lies all year in drawer and never gets used until this time of the year. I take it up, pump it with ink and it writes. The gold tip has been worn to fit my hand/finger angles perfect. It is more or less the only time I do any handwriting and in spite of that this thing makes my writing look good.

I know that a modern ball pen could do the job too. Or some might even use a mail robot that automatically generates a greeting e-mail that sends it to active clients. But it is just not the same. It would lack… dare I say soul?

Anyway not saying that this has any resemblance to golf clubs or this discussion but this thread did pop in my mind when I took out the fountain pen from the drawer.

That is the only physical explanation I can think of but like you that is not my expertise.
[/quote]

well see..you arent an ink pen poser :)

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

"Stewart had won the PGA and U.S. Open when he left Wilson to sign a $7 million dollar deal with Spalding in 1994. Forced to use game-improvement perimeter weighted irons for the first time -- as well as as the two-piece Top Flite ball -- Stewart lost much of his distance control and ability to shape shots. He went from sixth on the money list in 1993 to 123rd in 1994. In 1995, Spalding allowed him to switch to a forged blade, and played better. But when he won the 1999 U.S. Open, Stewart didn't have a club contract and was playing a mixed bag that included Mizuno MP-14 irons."

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2011-01/photos-my-five-equipment-switches

@therealping

i believe in achem's razor and all that abba dabba, so my simple notion is that the ap2's really arent so easy to flush hit and thats why you arent noticing much difference compared to your blades.
[/quote]

Ok. Like I just posted. All of this "sweetspot" and "flush hit" talk is very vague and needs proper definition. Flushing it would be like within 1/8" of that pinpoint epicenter of the sweetspot. It is no more difficult to flush ANY ONE of the clubs I own. The 1970s wilson wedge I was hitting an hour and half ago I "flushed" on the only full swing I took, and a few 3/4 shots and didn't miss the "sweetspot" after the first 5 dick around chips. So when you say things like it is more difficult to flush a shot, it is the same. Now some clubs have bigger sweetspots, but again, if my blades have a 3/4 x 1/2" sweetspot, my DCIs is not more than an extra 3/16" left to right and 1/8" top and bottom. I am of course making up numbers, but I am doing it with clubs I have played over 15 years, so I am comfortable guessing some.

Look, we are all good for a full out fat or thin or just s*** shot at random, some more than others, but it is part of the deal. And this is where I see your point in bringing up handicap T, as someone shooting 93 probably is not best served playing blades for a best score that day. But anyone around 80 is not missing the sweetspot like you are saying. You can't shoot 8 over par by mis hitting 50% of your shots to the point that has been discussed as why GI is better. Sorry dude, you are apparently 4 shots better than me, and I have like 3-4 mis hit irons a round. So 78 minus 32 putts and 14 tee shots means 3-4 out of 32 which is like a 10-15% mishit percentage, hell, let's call it 20% and allow for a botched chip and another bad iron. That is hitting the sweetspot 80% of the time. There is NO way you have more missed sweetspots than that when you play. I would say once you pass the point of 50% success of hitting the sweetspot in real rounds! you can play blades if your heart desires and not be penalized score wise like has been argued. Below that, then I believe the argument from the GI crowd makes sense and I agree.

T, the only thing I don't get, is how you play to a 3 or whatever, and don't know from your own experience that you could play whatever from a 12/14 cap down to there? But then again, you probably look at me and think this idiot would be a 3 if he didn't want to pose so hard, so I guess that is where we agree to disagree.

I do think the concept of an acceptable strike is the heart of most of this.

[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1417043275' post='10507855']
[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1417031248' post='10507051']
T.
That is a great idea. (sorry for the late reply but I had to figure out your collar angle joke. Knew you were a baaaaad boy).
And it may actually keep the cost under limit for import taxes if I buy it from the US ebay. Thing is… thanks to all those he-men posing with their blades and white belts most of the second hands are fitted with heavy shafts like DG 300S and I would like something more in the Dynalite class. Perfect would be Project X pxi 5,5 but they are not around.

But it is still an excellent idea. Maybe the UK ebay. Because second hand here… Forget it. Will have to check out shipping costs
[/quote]

the bridgestones typically come with project x flighted and the pings often w. their private branded shafts which are fine shafts and on the lighter side. think some callaway tweeners come w. lighter weight shafts, and i;m sure some others.

[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1417030631' post='10507007']
So here is what I honestly don't get. And please do not read this as an argument in GI versus blade. It is honestly something I just don't understand. I have done some experimenting while this thread has been going. Side by side comparison with AP2 and TP9 and my conclusion so far is that the TP9 are not nearly as difficult to hit as I thought.

In previous post I have noted where I actually could see an advantage in using the TP9 but those are of subjective character. But on one point of distance I just cannot find a physical explanation. I hit the TP9 a tad longer. And since the AP's are stronger lofted by 2* it just does not make sense. Does anyone have a possible physical explanation for this?
[/quote]

i believe in achem's razor and all that abba dabba, so my simple notion is that the ap2's really arent so easy to flush hit and thats why you arent noticing much difference compared to your blades. thats what i found anyway. they do launch higher and i really didnt like the ball feel...they didnt even feel 'carbon steel' to me. now if you would compare some of the irons i;ve been mentioning even to the ap2 (not to mention your blades) i think you would notice a significant difference. the ap2's have a compact head..there really isnt any magic dust that will turn a real compact head into a forgiving iron
[/quote]
Thanks for the shaft tips. Good info for me. I will give your suggestions try. At least the s55's.

Its a bit of a naaaah on your last suggestion. I do hit the AP's pretty flush most of the time. Now it can be that the perimeter weighting, tungsten and vibration damper conceals so my shots are not as flush as they feel. I will admit though that they do launch high for me. That could be a point. Anyway I am pretty happy with my lengths even if it is not long for wrx. So in trying new irons I am not looking for me length. I only mentioned this distance thing because it does not make sense at all. I am in the minority here but I like the feel go the AP's. Of course I haven't tried as many irons as you guys have. My TP9 does not have the soft feel either. I think we labeled the feel as authoritative.
[/quote]

i understand...the technology can mask the mishit feel a bit, but not the mis hit results.... i think when people experience that nuclear flier thing, all they've really done is properly flush hit the club and maybe they;ve swung particularly hard on that shot as well. . but most people should be able to feel a mis hit no matter the club i think. sorry i do not recall what shafts you have in those ap2's....others would know a lot more about shafts than I, but i;ve found the newer high launching shafts really dont spin up on me so much..they just fly higher and are more piercing. also the ball can be a huge factor..at least when the wind is blowing.

so you dont seek more length from your irons..what is it that you seek? and what is wrong for your game about the ap2's?

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1417044645' post='10507943']
i believe in achem's razor and all that abba dabba, so my simple notion is that the ap2's really arent so easy to flush hit and thats why you arent noticing much difference compared to your blades.
[/quote]

Ok. Like I just posted. All of this "sweetspot" and "flush hit" talk is very vague and needs proper definition. Flushing it would be like within 1/8" of that pinpoint epicenter of the sweetspot. It is no more difficult to flush ANY ONE of the clubs I own. The 1970s wilson wedge I was hitting an hour and half ago I "flushed" on the only full swing I took, and a few 3/4 shots and didn't miss the "sweetspot" after the first 5 dick around chips. So when you say things like it is more difficult to flush a shot, it is the same. Now some clubs have bigger sweetspots, but again, if my blades have a 3/4 x 1/2" sweetspot, my DCIs is not more than an extra 3/16" left to right and 1/8" top and bottom. I am of course making up numbers, but I am doing it with clubs I have played over 15 years, so I am comfortable guessing some.

Look, we are all good for a full out fat or thin or just s*** shot at random, some more than others, but it is part of the deal. And this is where I see your point in bringing up handicap T, as someone shooting 93 probably is not best served playing blades for a best score that day. But anyone around 80 is not missing the sweetspot like you are saying. You can't shoot 8 over par by mis hitting 50% of your shots to the point that has been discussed as why GI is better. Sorry dude, you are apparently 4 shots better than me, and I have like 3-4 mis hit irons a round. So 78 minus 32 putts and 14 tee shots means 3-4 out of 32 which is like a 10-15% mishit percentage, hell, let's call it 20% and allow for a botched chip and another bad iron. That is hitting the sweetspot 80% of the time. There is NO way you have more missed sweetspots than that when you play. I would say once you pass the point of 50% success of hitting the sweetspot in real rounds! you can play blades if your heart desires and not be penalized score wise like has been argued. Below that, then I believe the argument from the GI crowd makes sense and I agree.

T, the only thing I don't get, is how you play to a 3 or whatever, and don't know from your own experience that you could play whatever from a 12/14 cap down to there? But then again, you probably look at me and think this idiot would be a 3 if he didn't want to pose so hard, so I guess that is where we agree to disagree.

[/quote]
Bigmean this is deja vu from nearly the beginning of this thread. I may have to go back and requote it. There's no technical definition of sweetspot and so that point about pros hitting it 50% of the time is meaningless without a technical definition of its size.

Here's another thing to consider: the ball is compressed against the face of the iron so in effect part of it will always encompass this nebulous sweetspot unless the hit is way off. The compressed ball has a lot of surface area in contact with the club face as it squashes from the force of impact. From a physics perspective this squashing effectively serves to minimize the detriment of a mishit.

Oh and don't forget that often the miss is not because of an off center hit but rather it is from an improper swing path or face angle. No sweetspot can save these misses.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1417044645' post='10507943']
[/quote]

[/quote]

i;ve defined my notion of a flush hit 'sweetzone' shot before. its a shot that produces a solid feel which travels the expected distance (wind and other factors not withstanding) ..i dont think you can say it is 1/8" from the maximum COR spot because that is totally dependent upon the design of the club. it may be 1/16" on a blade and 3/8" on a perimeter weighted club for example if you believe that clubs with larger sweetzones have larger sweetzones...

i prolly have 3-4 mis hits per round as well....i like it when i dont lose 10-15 yards on a mis hit and dunk a ball into a hazard on one of those mis hits however. .. much better to be on the fringe. i dont know the courses you play, but there are lots of holes w. hazards quite near to the greens around here and the wind is usually blowing. i guess i am a 3-4 index because i;m a very straight driver (its hard to hit the ball crooked w. a modern driver) and seem to be able to put a lot of iron shots close to the pin and hit most of the greens...i;m consistent during a round and from round to round and play courses with higher slope ratings, so that puts my handi lower i think. so on those days where i;m just not striping it, i sure appreciate the forgiveness of the irons i play

watching golf on TV maybe you have noticed that the pros miss is most often short rather than long or far offline? have you even seen them shankapotimus? they know how to read the wind...they come up short because they mis hit at times...and thats why most of them dont use blades..were it not so more of them would be playing blades. thats why they use hybrids..thats why they use combo sets..thats why you will see angel cabrerra pull out a super GI 3 iron (for example). do you really ever see them hit the nuclear flier that so many say a cavity back will do? other than the not so occassional crazy flier lie which they usually adjust for anyway?

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

Look what this random bird just dropped at my door:[attachment=2513797:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1417047282.663151.jpg][attachment=2513799:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1417047293.343094.jpg]
And some of these...I've been looking to try these shafts out! How weird![attachment=2513801:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1417047342.248649.jpg]

TM R1 tp black whiteboard60x<br />TM V-Steel 15* paint-break Blueboard 83X<br />TM V-Steel 21* Blueboard 83S<br />MP4 4-PW Project X 6.<br />Vokey Sm4 52* 56* & 60*<br />Nike MC02W

[quote name='shooterMcGee' timestamp='1417047347' post='10508119']
Look what this random bird just dropped at my door:[attachment=2513797:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1417047282.663151.jpg][attachment=2513799:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1417047293.343094.jpg]
And some of these...I've been looking to try these shafts out! How weird![attachment=2513801:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1417047342.248649.jpg]
[/quote]

Please don't take this the wrong way....but I hate you really hard right now.

Nothing personal you realize....just rampant uncontrollable and unreasonable jealousy.

Those are simply awsome

12* Cleveland Classic w/ TTDG X100 @43.75"
or
910D3 10.5 w/ Blueboard 65x
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Titelist 909F3 15* Graf Blue
Mizuno Mp CLK 20* w/ VTS Red
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

The pros may also play CB/GI long irons now because all performance is the same so it doesn't matter what iron they use.

The ones using hybrids are definitely getting forgiveness but it is possible that using a PCB is just for advertising. Just saying since it was pointed out there's not really a difference in workability and forgiveness between the two (PCB and blade).

Registered Bladeocrat

I've often wondered if Tom Watson regrets not using a blade (or any workable iron) on that hybrid shot that rolled off the green at the Turnberry 2009 Open Championship. It was such a great shot but it never stopped.

I know Tom has endorsed using hybrids for forgiveness but I just wonder if he has any regret about not having an iron for that particular shot...pure hypothetical hindsight thinking on my part...

Registered Bladeocrat

Ok, calm down, let's focus.

I agree that I can't define flush, but for arguments sake I gave the 1/8" example, but ohhhhh my God does it feel like the entire sweetspot on my babiest of blades....everything feels flush....

Ok, so that aside, the sweetsop that yields a correct yardage is close to the numbers I threw out, and from there, every 1/8" starts to matter, and I agree the drop off is a lot steeper with blades for sure from there.

This is where you lose me, it is these 10-15 yard mis hits. That is not a mis hit, did you see the pics I posted of my mp 14 8 iron ball marks? Those are mishits. A 10-15 yard mis hit is NOT a mishit, it is a straight shizzank. This is the crux of our disagreement. Dude, other than the random s*** shots we all have, mis hitting a club to the tune of a 15 yard penalty is literally hitting the ball where the grooves stop on the toe, like right on that line. I don't know whether to respond that anyone consistently doing that should not play blades or not be rewarded for it with some help by a GI club.........

Fact of the matter is, when you get down to it, like I said before, anyone shooting about 85 or under and the irons don't mean dick.

Also, don't mistake my saying hitting the sweetspot as good shots, I am talking purely from a face contact perspective, not path and face, at which point it would be correct in that the same workability advantage of blades would also add more offline on path/face angle misses.

Look what this random bird just dropped at my door:

And some of these...I've been looking to try these shafts out! How weird!

blog.gif

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='shooterMcGee' timestamp='1417047347' post='10508119']
[/quote]

those look a lot like the blades the 'wilson guy' used in those funny commercials :)

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1417048712' post='10508225']
Ok, calm down, let's focus.

I agree that I can't define flush, but for arguments sake I gave the 1/8" example, but ohhhhh my God does it feel like the entire sweetspot on my babiest of blades....everything feels flush....

Ok, so that aside, the sweetsop that yields a correct yardage is close to the numbers I threw out, and from there, every 1/8" starts to matter, and I agree the drop off is a lot steeper with blades for sure from there.

This is where you lose me, it is these 10-15 yard mis hits. That is not a mis hit, did you see the pics I posted of my mp 14 8 iron ball marks? Those are mishits. A 10-15 yard mis hit is NOT a mishit, it is a straight shizzank. This is the crux of our disagreement. Dude, other than the random s*** shots we all have, mis hitting a club to the tune of a 15 yard penalty is literally hitting the ball where the grooves stop on the toe, like right on that line. I don't know whether to respond that anyone consistently doing that should not play blades or not be rewarded for it with some help by a GI club.........

Fact of the matter is, when you get down to it, like I said before, anyone shooting about 85 or under and the irons don't mean dick.

Also, don't mistake my saying hitting the sweetspot as good shots, I am talking purely from a face contact perspective, not path and face, at which point it would be correct in that the same workability advantage of blades would also add more offline on path/face angle misses.
[/quote]

no man..i didnt see those pics.

ok, you are a much better ball striker than I in spite of our caps and my sucking at shorter putts. my mis hits can typically lose 10 yards or so...a little better than what research indicates happen on toe hits something like 17 yards (thats my miss which is a very common miss)...my miss also corresponds to the ad of where sergio hits his iron..i know i know...its all marketing and taylormade just doesnt want anyone using blades even though they still make blades i think. oh, i used to also be able to hit 2 grooves low around here on occasion when the fairways turn to rocks, but seemed to have fixed that w. my new sticks and not listening to the advice around here about how i should just hit down more on the ball...wha?

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1417043834' post='10507899']
"Stewart had won the PGA and U.S. Open when he left Wilson to sign a $7 million dollar deal with Spalding in 1994. Forced to use game-improvement perimeter weighted irons for the first time -- as well as as the two-piece Top Flite ball -- Stewart lost much of his distance control and ability to shape shots. He went from sixth on the money list in 1993 to 123rd in 1994. In 1995, Spalding allowed him to switch to a forged blade, and played better. But when he won the 1999 U.S. Open, Stewart didn't have a club contract and was playing a mixed bag that included Mizuno MP-14 irons."

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2011-01/photos-my-five-equipment-switches
[/quote]
Good stuff here MJ. Seems like forgiveness comes at a cost to some pga tour pros. I wonder what TBeau thinks of it...

Registered Bladeocrat

Look what this random bird just dropped at my door:

And some of these...I've been looking to try these shafts out! How weird!

blog.gif

Exactice wins the internet tonight

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1417045744' post='10508019']
T.
I missed your last reply.
I have Dynalite S300 in the APS.
It is a good question what I seek. Other than: "what can I say. I like new shiny things." I do not have an intelligent answer. But i will sleep on it and get back on thar.
[/quote]

you;re just being a regular guy who likes his toys. so dont buy those s series irons from ping or the bridgestone j38's because those have a satin finish. get something shiny. if you just want a toy you dont need help from us...but maybe you enjoy the shopping process.

irons that i think are stunning looking are the bridgestone j40 cavity backs and they come w. project x shafts as standard...and they've some muscle back properties whilst being a cavity back. bridgestone is coming out w. a blade in 2015 but are only doing one run so they will quickly sell out and be gone prob never to reappear..endo forged i assume. bridgestone endo's tend to feel firmer than mizuno but not clicky

mizuno = room temp butter

bridgestone = refrigerated butter

titleist = margarine :)

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='shooterMcGee' timestamp='1417051845' post='10508457']
I actually really like the J40's a lot. Hit the dual pockets for a round. They're awesome!
[/quote]

I have played both Bridgestone and Tourstage irons....they make some really good stuff

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

I've had a couple different sets of Precept Tour Premiums. Really good feel to them, best feeling CB not called Maxfli Revolution. Such as you could call them CBs, not much of a cavity to them. LOL

Club hoed my way out of both sets.

Oh well.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1417052918' post='10508531']
I've had a couple different sets of Precept Tour Premiums. Really good feel to them, best feeling CB not called Maxfli Revolution. Such as you could call them CBs, not much of a cavity to them. LOL

Club hoed my way out of both sets.

Oh well.
[/quote]

It's amazing how fast I can talk myself into...then out of a set of irons....lol. And then some years later remember fondly how much i loved a set of irons I couldn't wait ot get rid of.

Funny what this game can do to a relatively rational mind...hehe

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or
Hogan Decade's
Cleveland RTX 2.0 46
Vokey SM5 50 F-Grind
Vokey SM5 56 F-Grind
Ping Pal 4 BeCu

Ok T, I hope you didn't block me and that is why you didn't see this, I am a good guy deep down, I promise. Here is the pic since no one is digging through this thread.

clubs6_zpsd160d67d.jpg

Now that is a big miss. About 6 shots and an uncleaned after range. That is a legit 2 yard loss of distance on a miss that far off. Now, in fairness, a heel miss like that goes way better than the same miss toe side, and the flight looks legit, all same as flush minus the distance and feel. Those shots do t feel bad with a blade, actually, they are confusing because heel misses fly right, look right, don't feel right, then fall short. But anyway, there is a reason why I missed 6 straight shots to the heel not worth mentioning again, but point being, that is a 2 and arguments sake 3 yard loss in distance and dead proper flight.

I think I am hurting my street cred by posting this again.....hahahaha

Biggie, that heel miss you're talking about is why I put my Rams back in my bag over the ISI's I'd been playing the first half of the year. With the ISI, the shot would leak right, but with the blades, it was much straighter, with about the same loss of distance as I'd see with the ISI.

Toe hits are another story entirely. Much better results with the ISI. My problem is I don't miss that direction too often, generally only in "offseason rust" mode.

unrelated comment: holy &%$#@%& do those ISI jack the ball in the air. I hit a high shot, and my usual crowd were saying things like "where the hell did THAT come from?" LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1417055860' post='10508691']
I just got a set of 3-pw rifle 5.5 uncut for $95 including shipping........and you all are on notice for finished palmer standard pics...
[/quote]

I have a set of those....

or
Mizuno MP-650 15* w/ DVS
or
Covert 4 w/ VTS Red
Tourstage TS-202 5-PW
or