2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Reading this thread has me worried.

Currently play s55 with ctaper x ssx1. Late release with a drive SS of 116-119mph. Carry a 6iron 200yards.

Bought a set of 714cb that are practically new with 120x modus in them.

In the past I have played :
Ctaper s, S+, x ssx1
Px 6.0
Kbs tour S, X
Dgs300 and x100

Would not say I really hated any of them but out of that list I liked the Px , and ctapers s+ and the x ssx1 the best. I find with the s55 and ctaper x it is hard to work the ball. Mishits do jar you abit.

Take a divot with all irons. Really compress then ball. Swing can sometimes get alitle OTT and I pull my irons.

Am I going to hate these shafts?

I had a ctaper x straight in in my 712u 3 iron and I never really liked the feel of it. I recently put a AD DI 85x hybrid shaft in it and wow. Ball flight is lower, feel is incredible, and I seem to be able to hit it more consistently now. I am hoping that these lighter, softer feeling shafts give me that same type of feel.

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

[quote name='Kale_m' timestamp='1447453439' post='12595874']
Reading this thread has me worried.

Currently play s55 with ctaper x ssx1. Late release with a drive SS of 116-119mph. Carry a 6iron 200yards.

Bought a set of 714cb that are practically new with 120x modus in them.

In the past I have played :
Ctaper s, S+, x ssx1
Px 6.0
Kbs tour S, X
Dgs300 and x100

Would not say I really hated any of them but out of that list I liked the Px , and ctapers s+ and the x ssx1 the best. I find with the s55 and ctaper x it is hard to work the ball. Mishits do jar you abit.

Take a divot with all irons. Really compress then ball. Swing can sometimes get alitle OTT and I pull my irons.

Am I going to hate these shafts?

I had a ctaper x straight in in my 712u 3 iron and I never really liked the feel of it. I recently put a AD DI 85x hybrid shaft in it and wow. Ball flight is lower, feel is incredible, and I seem to be able to hit it more consistently now. I am hoping that these lighter, softer feeling shafts give me that same type of feel.
[/quote]
Only way to tell is try them out. From what you said I would have tried you in some 130S or 125X shafts before the 120X. Let us know what you experience.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1447347212' post='12589410']
[quote name='ob1soccer' timestamp='1447343585' post='12589108']
so if the 105 is most similiar to the 125, what would be lighter version of the 130. interested in higher flight , but less weight
[/quote]
2F15 prototype which might be hard to find or more common the 1150 GH Tour is a bit in between a 125 and a 130 IMO but comes in at 116g in S or 121 in X.

I saw a tweet from the Nippon rep that said they have some new shafts in the pipeline, maybe we will see something new for next year? Maybe they will looking at a lighter weight 130 type shaft??
[/quote]

They've been coming out with some great stuff recently. Not saying anything in the past was bad but just more shafts across the board for a whole spectrum of players. Trying to find info on all these prototypes without Marks help is like finding a golf tee in a haystack.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1447339185' post='12588800']
So, after reading through pages and pages:

Modus 120 = Dynamic Gold
Modus 130 = Project X
Modus 125 = ? A hybrid of both?

Seems the 125 is the perfect mix of both from what I read. Anyone find that the 120 or 130 actually worked better for them?

Always leary of a mythical shaft that is all things to all people.

Reason I ask: I've played PX6.5 and X100 shafts. Love the feel of the X100 but prefer the flatter flight of the PX 6.5. Wondering if the Modus 125 would be that unicorn that combines both into one?
[/quote]

I've always loved project x 6.0's and I much prefer my 120x I currently have over the several times I've hit the 130's. The 130 went higher with more spin and shorter carry. 130 also felt heavy to swing. So, I would say that 120 is more like PX and 130 is more like s400. X100's actually seem lighter than 130. The 130 is a beast in my opinion.

[quote name='marionmg' timestamp='1447510216' post='12598000']
[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1447339185' post='12588800']
So, after reading through pages and pages:

Modus 120 = Dynamic Gold
Modus 130 = Project X
Modus 125 = ? A hybrid of both?

Seems the 125 is the perfect mix of both from what I read. Anyone find that the 120 or 130 actually worked better for them?

Always leary of a mythical shaft that is all things to all people.

Reason I ask: I've played PX6.5 and X100 shafts. Love the feel of the X100 but prefer the flatter flight of the PX 6.5. Wondering if the Modus 125 would be that unicorn that combines both into one?
[/quote]

I've always loved project x 6.0's and I much prefer my 120x I currently have over the several times I've hit the 130's. The 130 went higher with more spin and shorter carry. 130 also felt heavy to swing. So, I would say that 120 is more like PX and 130 is more like s400. X100's actually seem lighter than 130. The 130 is a beast in my opinion.
[/quote]There really isn't a lateral transition from px, c taper or dg. There are typical cases of normality, but even then there are exceptions.

The 130's heft in the hands gives it that stout feeling.

Regardless of which camp you're deserting, the modus 105, 120, 125, 130 will likely satisfy expectations.

@therealping

[quote name='Scooter321' timestamp='1447518314' post='12598364']
There are so many pages here, can someone point to the post with a summary of the differences between the 120, 125, and 130 or provide a summary in terms of differences, characteristics, and who the shafts would generally fit.
[/quote]

120 - Lower launch, higher spin. Soft butt, stiffer mid & tip. Feels really soft because butt section although it actually is overall stiff as the label says. Fits DG players usually. Also earlier/mid transitioners with non-aggressive moves on the downswing. Doesn't feel as heavy, all the weight is in the bottom half so it swings around nicely in a pendulum.
125 - Middle of the road shaft, mid-launch, mid spin. Stiff butt for confident feel, softer mid section for smooth kick, stiffer tip for spin control. Plays and feels true to flex. Fits DG player and KBS players IMO. Has a bit of heft to it, well balanced.
130 - Higher launch but lower/mid spin, this shaft is very butt and mid stiff for a very firm/stiff felling in your hands/arms. However, it has a very soft tip section so it launches well and spin is kept at bay. The overall shaft is very stiff, i'd say +1/2 flex in terms of feel and flex than label reads. Feels heavy and is slightly countered.
105 - See 125 but in lighter weight and maybe a bid mid/mid-high spin and launch.

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1447708561' post='12606792']
There are so many pages here, can someone point to the post with a summary of the differences between the 120, 125, and 130 or provide a summary in terms of differences, characteristics, and who the shafts would generally fit.
[/quote]

120 - Lower launch, higher spin. Soft butt, stiffer mid & tip. Feels really soft because butt section although it actually is overall stiff as the label says. Fits DG players usually. Also earlier/mid transitioners with non-aggressive moves on the downswing. Doesn't feel as heavy, all the weight is in the bottom half so it swings around nicely in a pendulum.
125 - Middle of the road shaft, mid-launch, mid spin. Stiff butt for confident feel, softer mid section for smooth kick, stiffer tip for spin control. Plays and feels true to flex. Fits DG player and KBS players IMO. Has a bit of heft to it, well balanced.
130 - Higher launch but lower/mid spin, this shaft is very butt and mid stiff for a very firm/stiff felling in your hands/arms. However, it has a very soft tip section so it launches well and spin is kept at bay. The overall shaft is very stiff, i'd say +1/2 flex in terms of feel and flex than label reads. Feels heavy and is slightly countered.
105 - See 125 but in lighter weight and maybe a bid mid/mid-high spin and launch.
[/quote]

Thanks for this!!
As far a stiffness, are the 120 and 105 both the same- true to flex(whatever that means).? Wondering if the 105 is softer...

Yankees Suck

I am about to order some Nippons blind as I have no way of trying these out where I live and have it narrowed down to the Nippon 120s and 120x. My driver speed is approximately 110 on average and at 6'5" I have a 1" additional length in my irons. In the past i've played KBS Tour stiff but felt like I could over power them easily and most recently the DG Pro S300's which felt okay flex wise but the feel was off for me. I've never had x flex clubs in the bag before and my woods are all currently stiff which fit me well, so my question is which of the two mentioned shafts would fit be better? I'm leaning towards going up a flex to the x in the irons. Also I prefer and have always had 120g shafts in the past. Thoughts?

[quote name='yellolab' timestamp='1447711500' post='12607010']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for this!!
As far a stiffness, are the 120 and 105 both the same- true to flex(whatever that means).? Wondering if the 105 is softer...
[/quote]
I'd say 120 feels soft to flex, but it actually isn't. The middle and tip are very stiff for the flex, the butt is so soft the shaft feels soft. The 105 plays exact to flex as stated. It is very light though so if you like to manhandle your sticks and really go at it, the light weight might make it feel softer for an aggressive swing. But double-digit quantities are in play on the PGA Tour straight up, so the 105X is by all means stiff enough for any swing.

[quote name='howler2' timestamp='1447713145' post='12607140']I am about to order some Nippons blind as I have no way of trying these out where I live and have it narrowed down to the Nippon 120s and 120x. My driver speed is approximately 110 on average and at 6'5" I have a 1" additional length in my irons. In the past i've played KBS Tour stiff but felt like I could over power them easily and most recently the DG Pro S300's which felt okay flex wise but the feel was off for me. I've never had x flex clubs in the bag before and my woods are all currently stiff which fit me well, so my question is which of the two mentioned shafts would fit be better? I'm leaning towards going up a flex to the x in the irons. Also I prefer and have always had 120g shafts in the past. Thoughts?[/quote]
I have never played a x-flex in my irons. Last shaft were ctaper s+ but normally play s300. The x-flex 120s in my opinion are the best. Soft feel and not overly stiff. I love them. Of course they are not for everyone I bought them off bst. Haha.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[/quote]

[/quote]

What exactly is meant by an early or late release? Thanks.

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1447720433' post='12607732']
[quote name='howler2' timestamp='1447713145' post='12607140']I am about to order some Nippons blind as I have no way of trying these out where I live and have it narrowed down to the Nippon 120s and 120x. My driver speed is approximately 110 on average and at 6'5" I have a 1" additional length in my irons. In the past i've played KBS Tour stiff but felt like I could over power them easily and most recently the DG Pro S300's which felt okay flex wise but the feel was off for me. I've never had x flex clubs in the bag before and my woods are all currently stiff which fit me well, so my question is which of the two mentioned shafts would fit be better? I'm leaning towards going up a flex to the x in the irons. Also I prefer and have always had 120g shafts in the past. Thoughts?[/quote]
I have never played a x-flex in my irons. Last shaft were ctaper s+ but normally play s300. The x-flex 120s in my opinion are the best. Soft feel and not overly stiff. I love them. Of course they are not for everyone I bought them off bst. Haha.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback as well. I was wondering the same thing as howler2. I have been thinking about making that change...

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

[quote name='Makuakane_Bear' timestamp='1447724811' post='12608144'][quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1447720433' post='12607732']
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback as well. I was wondering the same thing as howler2. I have been thinking about making that change...[/quote]
For me the Nippons have such a soft and smooth feel. It's hard to believe they are x-flex. My ctaper Felt like rebar. These have such a soft comfortable feel. Can't see me hitting anything else now.

Vokeys SM9 56,60

[/quote]

Sorry to keep pecking at the difference between the 120 and 130. At the moment, I feel 90% committed to the 120 stiff but something keeps making me wonder about the 130. Seems like the 130 stiff would be too much effort for me so I'm curious about maybe 120 stiff vs the 130 regular in a 6-iron. In your experience, how much higher launch and less spin are we talking about with the 130? Perhaps 1* higher initial launch with 300 revs less spin? Are either of them prone to shots ballooning?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I just wanted to thank Mark and MJ for all their great input into this tread!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='GC70' timestamp='1447730590' post='12608634']
[/quote] I appreciate that, and I wish I could take credit, but I've been more of an instigator than anything. I'm gonna have to let Mark take all credit solo on this one. I would of been resorted back to DG if it wasn't for Mark's tact, patience and expertise in this thread and through PM.

Some threads have the actual sponsorships and employees posting information about product x, but this thread has Mark. And I have come to appreciate the information and experience of some guy on the west coast that doesn't affiliate himself financially with Nippon over the information being provided by those who do talk the talk due to obligations of employment and association.

So thanks Mark and everyone else who has had the patience to endure my relevant/irrelevant posts within the past year.

*Disclaimer- I did go back to the s400 in the wedges, but 125's are "locked" in the irons at least till a new Modus drops.

@therealping

do they feel like KBS tour or steelfiber. c taper and s300 feel horrible to me

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

[quote name='ob1soccer' timestamp='1447763231' post='12609394']
do they feel like KBS tour or steelfiber. c taper and s300 feel horrible to me
[/quote]

Depends which model. I should say the 125 are around the same weight as the S300, have the smoothness of KBS Tour (maybe smoother), and launch the ball higher then the DG, more like a KBS, but flatter like a PX.

Fantastic shafts.

I might compare the 120X to the X100...but with more smoothness and slightly higher ball flight.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='ob1soccer' timestamp='1447763231' post='12609394']do they feel like KBS tour or steelfiber. c taper and s300 feel horrible to me[/quote]

To me they have a much better feel compared to c-taper and s300. Haven't tried the other two so can't say

Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1447744267' post='12609148']
[/quote] I appreciate that, and I wish I could take credit, but I've been more of an instigator than anything. I'm gonna have to let Mark take all credit solo on this one. I would of been resorted back to DG if it wasn't for Mark's tact, patience and expertise in this thread and through PM.

Some threads have the actual sponsorships and employees posting information about product x, but this thread has Mark. And I have come to appreciate the information and experience of some guy on the west coast that doesn't affiliate himself financially with Nippon over the information being provided by those who do talk the talk due to obligations of employment and association.

So thanks Mark and everyone else who has had the patience to endure my relevant/irrelevant posts within the past year.

*Disclaimer- I did go back to the s400 in the wedges, but 125's are "locked" in the irons at least till a new Modus drops.
[/quote]
Thanks for the props and all the help. S400!?! What? We need to get you some C10 Stiffs for those wedges!! S400 go bye-bye

[quote name='Scooter321' timestamp='1447721382' post='12607828']
What exactly is meant by an early or late release? Thanks.
[/quote]

Watch a you-tube video, but bascially it is when you left your wrists release from their cocked position during the downswing. If you release super early some call it casting. A late release is when you hold that cocked position until your almost at impact. Sergio is a classic late releaser. I am not an expert but I'd say Henson is more of an early/mid releaser. You will see his arms straighter earlier in his swing and he swings around wide. Sergio holds the angle, almost hits is right hip in his downswing to the inside and then releases all the angle/power last milisecond into impact. Different ways to swing. Both are equally long distance wise. Just depends.

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1447785201' post='12610980']

[/quote]
Thanks for the props and all the help. S400!?! What? We need to get you some C10 Stiffs for those wedges!! S400 go bye-bye
[/quote]I think my fitter may have two c10's left, but I thought they were heavier than s400?

@therealping

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1447786653' post='12611112']

[/quote]
[/quote]I think my fitter may have two c10's left, but I thought they were heavier than s400?
[/quote]
I don't know. I've hit them side by side with S400 and X100 and I don't notice too much weight difference.

[quote name='Stonebridge' timestamp='1416194989' post='10458653']
Still play the Nippon Super Peening Blue X. Great shafts.
[/quote]

Me too. I still walk away happy with them every time I demo something new.

edit: haha... didn't realize I quoted a post from almost exactly a year ago.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1447792754' post='12611610']
[quote name='Stonebridge' timestamp='1416194989' post='10458653']
Still play the Nippon Super Peening Blue X. Great shafts.
[/quote]

Me too. I still walk away happy with them every time I demo something new.

edit: haha... didn't realize I quoted a post from almost exactly a year ago.
[/quote]

I wish I'd tried SPB earlier.

My lot in life, I guess....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1447792169' post='12611564']
[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1447786653' post='12611112']

[/quote]
[/quote]
I don't know. I've hit them side by side with S400 and X100 and I don't notice too much weight difference.
[/quote]Do you have any specs on the c10's?

@therealping

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1447863559' post='12615190']
Do you have any specs on the c10's?
[/quote]

C10 S 37" is 132.7 grams. The X was 136.8 grams.