Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

3 weeks ago I was playing in a 2 man scramble with my buddy. On #5 a down wind par 4 which reads 375 on the card, kind of a tricky hole left side is all water, to the right of the fairway is a 15' drop to the rough. I smoked a 3 wood from the tee and has 75 yards left to the pin. The day before my wedge game let me down, so I hit probably 75 shots from 50-100 yards on the range that morning. Before my shot I looked at him and said lets see if the practice pays off. I hit a knock down 56*..... In to hole! My first eagle on a par 4 also. I was pretty excited except I didn't buy into the skins game.

TM SIM 2 9* Ventus Black 6x
TM SIM 2 15* ProForce V2 7F5
Titleist U500 17* PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.5
Titleist T100 4-PW PX 6.5
Vokey SM8 50*F, 54*F, 58*D PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Taylormade TP5x

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 that I remember:

- Playing in a 4 man scramble and I'm last one to hit on a long par 5, gradual dog leg left. Cart path goes up the left side of the fairway, since we already had a few good drives I decide to aim for the cart path and try to have it land and bounce straight out into the fairway. Even called my shot. Ended up hitting a good drive and shot worked out exactly how I envisioned it, gave us a nice look at the green for the 2nd shot.

- 2nd shot on a hole that has a straight ahead fairway with the green off to the right at the end of a tree line (call it 160yds to the end of the tree line, green is at 2 o'clock from there, 60 yards up). Played a cut 4 iron that just squeaked around the corner and rolled up just off the front of the green. Ended up flubbing the eagle chip and 2 putting for par.

glad I don't remember all of my worst shots, far more of those than the good ones.

Hit my best shot ever today. I was playing the 18th hole at dove canyon was under trees in the rough, (more like mud patch) and had 165 to a middle pin. The green is protected by a lake and bunkers all the way up the side. I needed to hit below the branches (about 15 feet high and 50 feet ahead), fade it around the trees and reeds and land soft enough to hold the green. Well I broke out my 7 iron and hit a low rising fade, hit the flag bounced straight down and about 4 feet away. Best shot of my life and I made the birdie putt, was very excited. Wish I could have had it on video.

Final hole of a 3 round tourney. Down by 2 standing on the 18th tee, 520ish par 5. Hit a nice drive, leaving about 200 to the flag. Hit a 5 iron to 3ft. Of course, I missed the eagle putt. But, it didn't matter since my opponent had already made a 4. But, under pressure, in a tourney, that shot is my best to date. Hell, it's my best without pressure and tourney.

It would have to be the ace I had two years ago. It was an uphill par 3 playing about 180. The green is so elevated you can only see the top of the flag stick. I pull faded a 5 iron and the rest is history.

Titleist 910 D3 Aldila Rogue Silver 60x
Titleist 915f Aldila Rogue Black 80x
Titleist 712u 2 iron
Titleist AP2 712 DGS300
Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
Vokey SM5 52 56 60

I hit an impossible chip last summer. It had been very hot all year and the greens and fairways where like concrete. On the 10th hole which is a par 5 I hit a great drive and tried to go for the green in 2, I short sided myself and end up on the crappiest lie possible. The pin was on the back left of the green about 4 yards on, just behind the green is a severe dropoff and protecting the mound is a small hill. I had zero shot, but I thought if I tried to bump it into the hill it would take the speed off the ball and have some chance of keeping the ball on the green. I nipped the ball off the crud, it jumped into the mound and then finished 2 inches from the hole. If I had a hundred attempts I'd never do better.... missed the putt though :-(

I hit an impossible chip last summer. It had been very hot all year and the greens and fairways where like concrete. On the 10th hole which is a par 5 I hit a great drive and tried to go for the green in 2, I short sided myself and end up on the crappiest lie possible. The pin was on the back left of the green about 4 yards on, just behind the green is a severe dropoff and protecting the mound is a small hill. I had zero shot, but I thought if I tried to bump it into the hill it would take the speed off the ball and have some chance of keeping the ball on the green. I nipped the ball off the crud, it jumped into the mound and then finished 2 inches from the hole. If I had a hundred attempts I'd never do better.... missed the putt though :-(

Can you clarify, i'm not trolling you, but did you MISS a 2 inch putt?

Toss up.

I made my first ace today. Hit a 9i to an up hill par 3. Landed 4-5 feet short and rolled straight in. I thought it went over the green, but the guys I was with said it went in. Pretty cool.

I won the club match play championship last year with a 15 foot putt, in extra holes, for my first tourney win. That was pretty sweet as it was the hottest weekend of the year and the tourney was a grind. Completely out of gas in the second match of the second day.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

Hi. Seems appropriate for my first ever WRX post:

Champions tour pro-am many years ago, got to play because of my job. Mark McCumber was our pro. I was hacking it up all day, probably shot 105. He was a great partner, nice guy. Anyway, I missed a green on a par 4 (probably our 12th hole of the day) by a lot. Thirty yards right and 10 yards long. Ball is on hardpan dirt. Between me and the green is a short, wide tree. Sitting under this tree are about 6-8 spectators watching the pro-am. So, I decide to try the impossible. I ask the spectators to move, as I am going to go over the tree....with my lob wedge....off hardpan.... try to land it on the green....and not kill anyone in the process. At this time I carried a lob wedge but never practiced and rarely used it. Since I am answering the OP's question, you can guess the result. Nailed it. Perfect contact, over the tree, on the green, one hop, stop, 15 feet from the pin. Golf clap from the spectators, compliments (and a SMH) from Mr. McCumber, and a memory that will last a lifetime.

I'd say my best ever shot would be at a local mini I play on:

I was playing in a scramble with 5 other guys (we call the scrambles sundowners), on a par 5 that plays about 560 with a helping 15mph wind. I'm a long player - at least for down here - and am also incredibly wild with the driver given how infrequently I play most times. Put my drive OB, and the longest drive from everyone has us sitting 320 back to a green over water. Being that it was a scramble, I told everyone, "I'll hit last, i want to make sure we have a lay up. I'm going for it."

We end up with a good layup, so I pull my 13* 3 and put the hardest swing I can put on the ball. End up carrying it onto the green about 25 feet for eagle. Playing partners sunk the putt, and when we walked back inside, half of the field wouldn't have believed we got an eagle, if not for the ten or so people who saw it.

I don't know if I could hit another shot that hard again. Also, wind helps.

Ping G30 LS Tec 9* Tour 65x
Callaway Diablo Tour 13* Whiteboard 73x
Adams XTD-ti 18* (set to 17.5) Red Tie X
Ping S55 3-PW Modus 120X
Titleist Vokey SM4 50/58 PX 7.0
Ping Anser W
Ball: Volvik Vista IV Pink/Titleist ProV1X

Haven't been on here in a while so this seems like an appropriate place to start.

Best/luckiest shot I ever hit was a 4 iron from about 215yds. It was my 2nd shot on the par 5 18th at Hidden Hills golf course in Pampa TX. I could only see the top of the flag so had no idea where it stopped, just knew it was on a pretty good line. After looking for a while we found it in the cup (brother in law was with me) for a 2. Good ending to an overall poor round haha.

Last year playing a money match for a Benjamin... last hole down 2. 540 dogleg right par 5. Hit it over the trees about 280 had 237 230 adjusted on the bushnell. My buddy had 245 and hit it to 2 ft. I hit a 3 hybrid... one hop and disappeared. he missed the putt. Won on the next hole on concession after he hit 3 consecutive shots ob. I never let that fu@$er forget. Oh and I did it with a lady ball. Thank you solaire

Last year I was going through a stretch where I was battling hooks off the tee. Playing a 9 hole match play with a buddy tied going into 9 the hook I hadn't seen all day arrived putting me in the left rough of a hard left dog leg par 5. I then proceeded to try to hook something around the corner only to end up pushing it into the trees on the right side of the fairway about 190 out.

When I got the the ball I didn't see a way to get the ball through the trees and towards the green but I did have a very small gap that would allow me to get the ball left of the green in a landing area about 50 yards short of the greenside bunkers. Unfortunately my opponent had about 70 left for his third in prime position so I had a choice to make: put it up short of the bunker or try to hit a hard cut through the gap over the bunker to the left of the green with the pin middle right.

Needless to say this ends up with me hitting a ridiculous 4 iron through the gap that cut even more than I had planned (not trying to brag but it had to be 25 yards to end in the middle of the green), landed on the green took the slope to the right leaving me with a 12 footer I buried for birdie. I bought the beers because I felt like I stole his money that day. We still talk about it from time to time.

Tour Issue 8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Ventus Red 6s (RIP)

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ AutoFlex 505xx
Ping G430 LST 3 Wood w/ GD AD-HD 7s
19* Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid w/ Tensei Pro White 90s
22* Ping G430 w/ Aldila NV2KXV Orange 85s 
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Accra i-Series 115
Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
Cobra Snakebite 55* & 59*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

18th hole at Cypress Head. I was in the waste bunker and had 224 yards to the hole on a small green. Trees over to the right. I try to hit a 2-hybrid and aim left of the green in order to avoid the trees. I hit it pure and it cut perfectly (not on purpose) over the trees and ended up 1-foot to the hole.

RH

Par 4 at a local country club was under construction and shortened to about 250 yards but there is a huge lake right in front of the green so unless you can carry it 250, you have to lay up. I typically carry about 240 so figured I'd have a try. Green isn't really visible as there are small mounds in front and behind the lake. Knew I hit it flush, Drove up to the green to see my ball sitting pin high, 1 inch from the cup. Tap-in eagle.

No idea how the ball landed softly enough to stay on the green, but I don't question the physics of golf when it goes well. Only when it goes bad

2 shots so far that im very proud of. I had a 150yd shot to the tee. My 2nd shot on par 4 i had to play off the right of fairway w trees in front. Somehow managed to get it over trees onto the green. It rolled off onto the fringe but i was happy.

2nd shot was a par 3 175yd tee shot. Hit it 6ft from the hole but missed the birdie. Ive only played for a few months now and 4 rounds so not much to brag about.

There's a few I have a foggy memory of from a while back, but this one is the only one recently that I remember just being an unreal shot and wanting to tell everyone I saw for the rest of our trip about haha...

So my shot was at our "home" course down in AZ over Christmas - to preface it was howling wind all day, and I was playing like a moron as I tend to in the wind...anyway, we get to the 8th (our 17th as we'd started off the back) which is a long dogleg left par 4, with a stupid tiny elevated green that is next to impossible to hit on the best of days, let alone straight into a 20mph wind. I hit a dinky push-slice moon-ball of a drive, and end up 210 out in the right rough, uphill lie...given how my day was going, my thought was "f-it, I'm going for the green anyway, what's the worst that could happen". Pull 3 wood (245-250 club normally) and just smash it - giant, towering draw, looks like it's going to be up there forever and never to come down...well eventually it does, inside 6 inches, on this stupid green that I would be lucky to hit with a 9 iron most rounds...all I could do was laugh, it was definitely the most "out-of-nowhere" great shot I've ever hit, which is probably what made it more memorable, that's for sure!

And I did make the putt, so at least I got some birdie juice to drown the sorrows of the rest of the round!

Great stories in here guys, can't wait to read some more!

Many moons ago I got the rare double eagle, but never even saw it. Par 5 505 yds, with a hard right dog leg. Can't see the green for the trees and after a good drive to the right side of the fairway, which left me with one of two shots. 1) lay up just past the corner or 2) Go for broke and hit it over the trees and hope it clears. Chose #2 and hit a 3 wood as hard as I could (could do it back then) and watched it just climb enough to get over the first tree. Then we heard yelling and when we got to the corner to see, there were folks on the green. My bad for not checking first, but we didn't see anyone in front of us for the first 3 holes and thought nobody was in front, at least on the same hole. Got up to the green to apologize and they were beside themselves. Thought I hit one of them, but they were smiling and said great shot. We didn't see anybody on the fairway behind us, so we figured it came over the tress blind. I continued to apologize and asked where did it go? They said look in the hole. One of the guys said he saw it coming as it cleared the trees, just by luck he was looking that way and cleared the others away. He said it took 2 hard bounces, rolled like 20 yards up onto the green, broke about 10 feet (played the brake just right), hit the stick and fell in. Still in the apologize mode, they asked jokingly, so I guess you want to play thru now! We laughed and I sad the drinks are on me and they signed the card for the Pro for me (Got a small plaque from the course)-(back then they did stuff like that) and it was a good day for everyone, even though I played like crap from that hole on. Hey, when you shot your load on one hole, that's all that's left, right?

Can you clarify, i'm not trolling you, but did you MISS a 2 inch putt?

yes I missed the putt, pushed it right and it rolled 6 inches past. If I could putt I would be a decent golfer

Best shot I intentionally hit was last season. I hit a solid drive but pushed it right. Found my ball in the right rough and in a wooded area. I had a 165 yards to the flag but had trees in front and on the right with branches hanging low starting 5 yards in front of me and in the way. With no room to elevate a shot over the trees, I either had to 1) punch one out and scramble for par or 2) hit a 15 yrd fade that started low to get under the branches, turn right and land soft.

If I missed low and straight I would be in the left rough. If I hit it below the branches but over slice it, I would be in the right greenside bunker or short. If I start it out too high, it would hit the branches in front of me and fall straight down. My playing partners suggested I punch out.

I felt pretty confident and last season I really made an effort to try and intentionally shape my shots a bit more. I could "see" the shot and the potential misses seemed manageable so I decided to try option 2. The results were pretty epic. I hit the shot perfectly. The ball started low for the first 40 yards, went under the branches, then started to elevate and turn right. The ball climbed, bent around the trees and carried straight toward the green. It landed nice and soft on a slightly uphill part of the green and settled 15 feet from the pin. It played out exactly how I wanted it to and I felt completely in control of my swing and ball. Definitely a shot that I will always remember. Unfortunately I missed the birdie putt by just 3 inches left but at least I still made par.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

I can think of a handful over the years I was really proud of.

Can't remember the hole number, but I holed a 140 yard approach shot w/ 8 iron at Grand Oaks CC in Oxford MS. Hit into the sun and lost the ball coming down. Looked everywhere for my ball. Found it in the cup. First eagle ever. And this was -- of course -- one of those days where I was out walking the course by myself so I had none of my buddies there to see it.

Last week I landed tee shot ball into a raised landscaping bed buried in soft mulch on a par3. I had to hit out of the landscaping from an awkward stance, through a stand of trees, to a green about 30 yards away, downhill. Took basically a hard putter swing with my 5 wood. Perfect! Rolled it up on the green about 8' from the pin. Barely missed the put, ended up with a bogey but could've been a lot worse if not for that shot.

That was one of two good shots i hit in what was otherwise probably the worst single round of golf I've ever played.

Oak Mountain GC

Carrollton, Ga

Hole 14

Par 3

246 yds

Green is approx 70-80 feet below the tee. Wind ALWAYS coming off the lake left to right pushing ball towards the creek on right. 2 tier green and pin is back on back tier about 3 feet over ridge that separates the tiers.

Hit 5 iron to about 3 feet. Only birdie I've ever had on that hole. Plays so tough!

• 2 weeks later...

3rd shot par 5 on 17th in semi final of our club championship knock out in 2001. 1 up trying to close the match out. Big hitter first team player up near the green in 2.

5i in my hand out of bounds right jungle left. Ball on a side hill above my feet. Had to aim at out of bounds to let it come back. 20 people watching. Shaking like a leaf. Perfect strike centre of green 15 foot away. Simple 2 putt. Opponent was gutted. Thought I would crumble with that stance. He was mad. Duffed chip and bogeyed. 2 and 1 win for me. Won the final 5and 4 pm that day. 2nd big club major for me.

Happy days..

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Just the other day was on hole 9 short Par 5 at the local public course. Hit a terrible drive of about 180 into the trees. Topped the next shot 60 yards and on the 3rd shot used a 7iron and hit it 176 yards GPS tracked. Best shot I've ever hit. (1st yr playing) the greens were soggy from 4inches of rain we received a few days earlier which helped the ball only roll 6 feet further. Which I then 3 putted afterwards haha. FWIW I normally hit my 4H that far.

Probably this shot that led to a stellar par. I was in a four ball tournament, my buddy hit it OB off the tee so it was on me. Par five, huge dogleg right, snap hooked my drive into the right trees to start. Punched out to about 200 out. The green was over a massive gulley straight ahead with large trees blocking the way, hit about a 60 yard hook with a 4 iron and it rolled up right onto the green about 20 feet. Missed the birdie, but unreal 3rd shot onto that green. I've had a couple of hole in one's too, but this shot really sticks out.

I had one Monday that was executed perfectly at a huge time! Probably my best golf shot ever. Captain's Choice tourney. Long par 5 that plays around 510 or so. Good drive catches the hill and rolls down to 200 or so.

Right around 200-205, pin is in the back, miss left and it is gone. Miss right and it is in a bunker. Miss short and it is in the hazard. You literally have to carry it all of 200 and need it to stop. The flag is somewhat protected by the bunker and you have to carry the back side of the bunker and land it in a 20 foot circle.

I was hitting 3rd and one guy was plugged in the bunker, one guy long and left. I stepped up and had not hit this 5 hybrid good the two previous shots. I take a smooth, but get after it swing and the ball was tracking beautifully. Carried the bunker and was dead on line. Hits the green and rolls forward to leave us about 8 feet for eagle. Honestly was the best shot that I have ever hit in that moment. Downhill lie and need to hit a 5 hybo 200 or so. It was perfection.

#ForTheShoe

I hit a shot the other day that made me think of this thread, having read a lot of it a while back. It was on an uphill par 5 with a sharp dogleg left and into a two club wind. Due to early difficulty on the hole, I was 190 yards out on the inside of the dogleg for my third shot. Problem being, I was blocked out by a short and wide tree. I would've had to hit a wedge to get over it or could've advanced the ball about 40 yards if I played to the right of the tree. So, I hit around it: sky high 2 iron with a 40 yard cut to about 20 feet. I missed the birdie put though. For me this is such a great shot because I knew I needed birdie to break 80 and I have negligible confidence hitting and controlling a cut shot.