Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was a few years ago. The funny part is that it came right after 2 really terrible shots haha! I was playing a nassau with a buddy of mine and I won the front by a stroke. Going to the par 4 18th, I was down by 2 strokes, so I was in danger of losing the back and the overall. He hits his drive down the middle of the fairway. I get up and top my drive and barely make it over a hazard leaving myself around 300 yards for my 2nd. I whip out the 3w and push it heading OB but it hits a tree and lands on the right edge of the fairway about 140 or so out. My friend misses the green with his 2nd. I hit a perfect knockdown 9i right at the flag, there was a bunker between me and the flag so I couldn't see where it went, but I thought it was good. We get to the green and can't find the ball. My buddy said that I flushed it and it probably went over the green and rolled into the parking lot, OB. After being pissed for a few seconds I check the hole and it was in there! Holed out for birdie and he made a bogey so we tied on the back and I win the front and overall! Best shot ever!!

This was probably back in like 1989 or 90. Par 5, I had pushed my tee shot into the trees on the right. Ball was sitting on a bare patch of hardpan, with tree roots everywhere. I had a swing, and there was a pretty wide alley low through the trees. Had about 240 to the green. Took out driver, which back then was really small, and could be hit off the deck. Flushed it, low through the gap in the trees, then it rose up a little, hit the fairway short of a deep pot bunker, hopped over that bunker, rolled onto the green, clanked off the flagstick, and settled a few feet from the hole for eagle. There are many others that come to mind, but that was probably the most improbable one to pull off.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Mine was yesterday. 3w off the tee on a par 5, decent shot left me 290 to the center with a pretty good head wind. Didn't think I had any chance of getting it there. I swung for the fences and set up for a draw and sure enough it went sailing through the air on a nice right to left baby draw. From the feel of the wind I assumed I would be in the bunker short. Walk to the bunker, no ball. Look on the right side of the green and sure enough I made it. Glad i was playing with friends to back it up.

Had to make par or better to make the 18 hole cut and on to the 2nd and final day of a tournament. Had 9 iron from 135 for 3rd shot into a par 5. Hits the bottom of the flag on the fly, but that wasn't it because it ricocheted off the front of the green. Then I hit was a pretty good chip shot to leave a par putt and make the cut, but that wasn't it because I ran it 8 feet by. No, neither of those it was the 8 foot left to right downhill slider that found the bottom of the cup that was my best shot. First real pressure put in a tournament situation and nailed it.

Callaway GBB Oban devotion
V Steel 13 s300 steel shaft
Adams prototype 18* vs Proto
Adams prototype 23* Aldila rip
Razr X tour 5-pw vs Proto
Cleveland cg14 48
Callaway md3 s grind 52
Vokey 58
Odyssey WH 7

I am not sure this is my best, but a fine one for me, especially at 7am on the first hole last weekend. I hit the drive bad, high on the face, went about 210, but was in the middle. It was early, wet, patchy fog, and I had 193 to a middle pin, and hit a laser in to 8 feet dead below the pin with a 4 iron.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I've got a top 3

1)
Shooting (first) [color=#ff0000]HIO[/color] past Sunday must qualify for the ultimately best shot sofar. 125 yards pin location, slightly down wind, high pw just got on to the green, bounced once and then rolled in steady :)

2)
Dog-leg par 5, faded drive and a second shot with a 7 iron from 180 yards to the pin. Ball rolled just past the hole and I made the eagleput (my first eagle)

3)
Last year I drove a 290 yard par 4, carrying hazard and bunkers (down wind) .. well almost, the ball ended in rough pin-high just outside the fringe. From there I duffed the chip and two-putted :(

Id like to say one of my hole in ones but i feel like there was a lot of luck with them. So id go with my hole out eagle on a par 4. Hole was 380 had about 100 in hit a perfect clean picked 58 goin right at the pin hit checked and went right in. Or i was playing chip n putt with some friends who didnt play a lot of golf so I wanted to show off a little and i put my water bottle down took off the cap and teed my ball on the water bottle and then proceeded to hit it to about 5 feet from off the top of a water bottle. Id probably go with the water bottle shot just because i remember the looks on all my friends faces when i put it closer off the top of the bottle than they did after from off the ground, even better when i was still closer after some of their second shots.

Callaway Razr Fit 9.5
Callaway Razr Fit 3 wood
Taylormade 09 burner 3 hybrid
Callaway 09 x forged 4-pw
Titleist vokey 54 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport HD

Really a series of three shots played at the Donald Ross Memorial course at Boyne Highlands (Northern Michigan) during a scramble outing. Par 5, playing about 500 yards. Played my drive. Stripped a 3W onto the green, albeit 40+ feet uphill beyond the pin. While I did have the benefit of putting last of the four, made the R to L downhill putt for an eagle. Our group won a sizable skin on that hole.

IIRC, was so excited by this series of events, I appropriately "chunked" the tee shot on the next hole. LOL.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

14th Hole Southridge Golf Course in Deland, Florida. Playing a Friday Skins Game. Hit my drive way right clipping the trees by the tee and spitting it out into the 15th fairway. For my second shot I had 225 to the green and had to hit a big slice between two trees. Two big bunkers guarded the front of the green that sloped dramatically from back to front. I pulled the shot off perfect, sliced a 5 wood right between the trees and bounced it right up between the bunkers. The shot hit pin and came to rest right on the back lip of the hole. We walked all the way up to just before the green wondering how it had not gone in. When we got about 10-15 yards from the front of the green we watched the ball drop into the cup for an Eagle. Now every time I have to hit a big slice with a wood I imagine that shot.

PING G400 Max 

PING G400 3 wood

Still Searching for something in between

PING S55 4-PW

Vokey 50, 56, 60

Odyssey AI ONE Milled #1

Pro V1

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1430050570' post='11444133']
Really a series of three shots played at the Donald Ross Memorial course at Boyne Highlands (Northern Michigan) during a scramble outing. Par 5, playing about 500 yards. Played my drive. Stripped a 3W onto the green, albeit 40+ feet uphill beyond the pin. While I did have the benefit of putting last of the four, made the R to L downhill putt for an eagle. Our group won a sizable skin on that hole.

IIRC, was so excited by this series of events, I appropriately "chunked" the tee shot on the next hole. LOL.
[/quote]

Ha. Yeah, I've got a similar story. I'm the IT guy at a law firm. One of the partners at the firm invited me to play in a scramble with him and two other attorneys. We ended up winning, and had three eagles, all my shots- The second hole was a par 5. We used my drive, then I hit a 3-wood onto the green, and I'm the one who made the 35 or 40-footer (same as you, I had the benefit of going last). The seventh hole was another par 5. We used my tee shot, my second shot, then I holed a wedge for the second eagle. I saved the best for last- the 11th hole was a 320-yard par 4, where you could only see the top of the flag from the tee. I hit driver, straight at the hole. I knew it was good, but then we got up to the green and found my ball sitting two or three inches BEHIND the hole. So, it basically must've lipped out. Tap-in eagle. That was probably my proudest day, just because of who all I was playing with. After that, there's never been any sort of golf event I haven't been invited to.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

I like getting updates from this thread in my email while Im at work, makes me ready to go play even more when I read some of these.

I had another great shot this week, went golfing with a guy I dont usually play with and on the first hole he proceeds to duck hook it into a house( we werent sure it had hit it considering there are tons of trees before the house). I play a good drive and while setting up for my second shot(about 160 out) he says here comes a lady from that house, I figured he was messing with me so I dont even stop and proceed to knock it a foot from the hole. I turn around and see the lady watching my ball, she then turns back and says it must have been him(pointing at my buddy in the cart) that hit my house.

I have two shots I'm fond of!

1) Playing a par 3, measuring 176yds to the pin, located just right of the center of the green. I pull out my 7 iron and try to fade the ball to the front of the green, which was protected by a bunker and some water on the front-right. The idea was to land the ball on the front, letting the upslope slow the ball down as it broke to the right towards the hole. It was a nice idea, but we know how ideas go. So I swing, flush the ball, and watch it fade just as I imagined it. Ball hits the front of the green and rolls up to within two feet... I was speechless. Made the putt for birdie.

2) I was playing from the sand on the left of a reachable par 4. Had about 55 yards to the green. I hit a perfect bunker shot and the ball lands directly in the hole. Damaged the cup, but I was thankful for the eagle!

Titleist TSR2+ 3 wood

Cobra AMP Cell 2,3 hybrids

Cobra Bio Cell 4 hybrid

Cobra RF Forged MB 5-PW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58* Wedges
Toulon Indianapolis putter

I was 13... Dad always made me play from the tee's he played (back). I just reached a par 5 in two for the first time with a stinging 3 wood. 25 ft putt lipped out and I missed my first eagle. I was gutted. Next hole was a 370 yd par 4. Hit the tee shot left and was blocked out by some trees. Had 153 to the pin, and played an 8i off my front foot and hit over the trees barely... the ball pitched 6 inches in front of the hole and went in for my first eagle.

funny topic, most of my "best shots" happen to follow colossal screw ups. The one that really sticks out, was a duck hooked drive under a willow tree which led to a hooded 4-iron from about 200 yards hooked around said willow, onto the false front of an elevated green which ran back to about 10 feet. Still only made par. :tongue:

Callaway X2 Hot Pro - Tour Green 65x
R11 TP - 18.5* - Project X Black 6.5
Titleist AP2 - 710 - 3-PW - Proj. X Flig 6.0
Cleveland 588 CB RTX - 50* - S400
Cleveland CG14 Tour Issues 54/58 - S400
Scotty Cameron - Studio Newport 1.5

"Greatness Courts Failure, Romeo"

Devil’s Knob – Wintergreen Resort in Virginia

The shot was made from a grassy hill right side of the fairway, ball above my feet, 208 yards, to a left flag, high fade over water, around two small trees,– 6” from the cup. The group ahead of us on an adjacent tee applauded. My wife made me putt the bird.

18th hole, tall conifer trees about 150 yards away (maybe closer, not sure) on the left hand side.

Dog leg left 315 yard Par 4.

There's a small gap (maybe ten feet wide) in the trees where the tree tops are about fifteen feet shorter than the rest of the tree tops.

I say "I'm going to drive it through that gap and cut the corner."

I'm playing with a friend who's a great buddy, but who has very firm opinions on how golf shots should be approached and talks about "testosterone golf" with a huge amount of disdain. Anytime I go for lower percentage shots (well aware they are lower percentage shots) he disapproves in a slightly infuriating way and then has a smug retort in those situations when they don't work out (which is more often than not). On this particular day we've had a round where I'm a little frustrated with him by the 18th and he asks "how far away do you think those trees are?" as I tee it up, knowing that if I don't give the right response he'll be able to tell me why the shot's not possible and why it's a bad decision and how I can probably make par if I just hit a 7-iron to the 150 marker or whatever.

I say something along the lines of "doesn't matter how far they are", then rip a drive right through the gap I called, cutting the corner of the dog leg, landing 40 yards short of the green or something like that (I'm not a huge driver).

Friend doesn't say a word as our other two playing partners congratulate me on the shot, he just walks on up to his ball.

• 2 months later...

Playing in a scramble, hat a short par 4 (low 300's, don't recall exactly what it played that day). Pond on the right which dropped straight down to the green which was below the fairway/tees. Hit my tee shot right, but somehow came down the back of the pond dam to about 2-3 foot. Tap in eagle that also won us a skin.

Second best being in the same round where I pitched in for eagle on a par 4 from about 30 yards out. Won another skin for that.

It was a good day.

[quote name='Williams5203' timestamp='1430939681' post='11511461']
funny topic, most of my "best shots" happen to follow colossal screw ups.
[/quote]

The same is true for me.

I was playing in a 9 hole match play event with pretty high stakes when I hit a snap hook into a creek on the fourth hole (we were all square). My opponent hit his in the fairway and stuck his 2nd to about 4 feet. My ball was about 1/2 submerged in the creek, but I had a decent stance. I took about 2 clubs more and caught it cleanly from the creek knocking it to about 7 feet. I made my putt and he missed. I went on to win 3 and 2. I'm pretty sure the shot from the creek shook him up a little bit.

This one's easy for me simply because I said before I hit the shot "If I get this close to the green it'll be the best shot I've ever hit." 400 yard par4 with a very elevated green, about a 20 yard wide section of a creek running along side the left side of the base of the hill and around the front side of the hill across the fairway. I am in the another fairway to the left about 190 out and have no view of the green or shot towards the green. My only option is to hit a low sweeping hook under the trees( low as in 10ft off the ground is too high) but have to carry it some 70-80 yards to clear the creek. I start it at tree right of green that I later measured at 74 yards right of the pin. I hit a full hooded 4i and can only see it for about 90-100 yards as it carries the creek and hooks and scoots up the hill. Tell my buddy that I couldn't have done hit it any better so if it's close to the green i'm happy. Get to the top of the hill and it's 2ft directly behind the hole. Tap in for birdie. Then shotgun a beer.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

[quote name='Rosco1216' timestamp='1438365336' post='12055112']
This one's easy for me simply because I said before I hit the shot "If I get this close to the green it'll be the best shot I've ever hit." 400 yard par4 with a very elevated green, about a 20 yard wide section of a creek running along side the left side of the base of the hill and around the front side of the hill across the fairway. I am in the another fairway to the left about 190 out and have no view of the green or shot towards the green. My only option is to hit a low sweeping hook under the trees( low as in 10ft off the ground is too high) but have to carry it some 70-80 yards to clear the creek. I start it at tree right of green that I later measured at 74 yards right of the pin. I hit a full hooded 4i and can only see it for about 90-100 yards as it carries the creek and hooks and scoots up the hill. Tell my buddy that I couldn't have done hit it any better so if it's close to the green i'm happy. Get to the top of the hill and it's 2ft directly behind the hole. [b]Tap in for birdie. Then shotgun a beer.[/b]
[/quote]
The only reaction that is 100% appropriate. ;)

I have had one ACE and one DOUBLE EAGLE in 40 years of golf. The double eagle is perhaps my most surprising shot. 17th hole, 530 yard par 5, firm conditions, helping breeze. A nice drive leaves me ~235 yards in. Big gap between my 3-wood and 2-iron. I decide on the 2-iron which lands on the front edge of the green, takes a hop, and rolls about 30-feet into the hole. The group reacts while
I stand there figuring out what this does to a mediocre round. I par 18 and shoot 76 which was an average round for me at that time (1999, 2-handicap).

About 10 years ago , and I still remember it liked it happened yesterday. Short par 4 and I had about 90 yards left firm right to left wind. Pin tucked far left without about 6 paces to edge and huge drop off into bunker. The location was the easiest putt on the green , so I took a chance and fired slightly left of pin and staked it to 3 feet. Felt so good and looked amazing flying right where I wanted it. Total risk reward and a shot that would take me a hundred balls to replicate with that breeze and pin location. One of the few times I felt in total control on the shot and what I wanted to do

[quote name='adam667220' timestamp='1438363378' post='12054924']
Playing in a scramble, hat a short par 4 (low 300's, don't recall exactly what it played that day). Pond on the right which dropped straight down to the green which was below the fairway/tees. Hit my tee shot right, but somehow came down the back of the pond damn to about 2-3 foot. Tap in eagle that also won us a skin.

Second best being in the same round where I pitched in for eagle on a par 4 from about 30 yards out. Won another skin for that.

It was a good day.
[/quote]

Scratch that. New favorite shot over the weekend. Holed out from about 90 yards out for eagle with no green to work with. Eagle wasn't anything special but first time I've holed out from any distance outside of a short pitch shot. Problem being that I was playing by myself so no one will ever acknowledge it. Oh well, I still know.

Not the best shot I've ever hit but I holed out for eagle on Saturday from 73 yards in the right rough with absolutely no green to work with.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

[quote name='MichiganMan' timestamp='1438633258' post='12071462']
Not the best shot I've ever hit but I holed out for eagle on Saturday from 73 yards in the right rough with absolutely no green to work with.
[/quote]

Even more impressive to do that with a Nike ball. Those usually hit the pin and spin back into the water!

I kid.......Nice shot. Congrats! :)