Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hit amazing shots. I hit a freaky long 3w a few weeks ago but that had to have some assistance... I hit big drives on occasion and on an even more rare occasion I may hit it to a few feet or chip in but I can't recall doing anything like stuff I have witnessed.

0- holes in one (I have watched 2 guys hit it in the water re-tee and dunk it for 3, I kind of felt bad for them even though one of them is an a-hole)

2 - albatross (one was from 245ish over water)

5 or more fairway dunks

1 - dunk from 160ish deep in the woods (legit as I helped him find his ball)

1 - putt (texas wedge) for eagle from at least 50 yards in front of the green

numerous pitch shots (30-50 yards) from one friend of mine who's amazing around the greens who would be + handi (now a 2) if he could just hit it 240 ish.

Last Friday I took a vacation day, I was on a par 5, hitting my second shot, 205 yards out, I took my 5 wood, and hit it over the edge of a pond, then it flew over a valley up to landing area in front of the elevated green and bounced on, it kept rolling and stopped 5 feet past the pin for a downhill putt. I was able to make the putt for an eagle. But that 5 wood was one of my best shots of the year, the kind that makes you come back. I had several very nice shots on that 9 and ended up with a 38 which was good for me.

My best shot was during a 4 man FCA scramble; had not hit the ball well on the first 6 holes; then came the par 5 7th hole. We get to the hole and one of the guys running the tournament was there and said this is a hole where after each sequence of shots a player has to drop off; so we all hit are tee shots and we take my drive which went about 320 down left center of fairway; now the question was which player would drop off as we hit the second shot; the older guy of our group volunteered. So there we were sitting exactly 205 yds. out from the pin; the first two guys hit and one sprayed it left and the other right. okay so its my turn; I pull out the 4 iron and give it a good swing; all of the sudden one of the guys says you hit that pure and its going right at the pin; there was a bunker guarding the green in front of pin so the group did not know if the ball went into bunker or off the back. The guy running the tournament said I got to go find out; by the time I reached the green the guy pulled my ball out of the hole for double eagle; I then said; guess that solved the problem of who had to sit out next :)

Drive under a tree. Low hanging branch in front of me. Water everywhere short and left of the green. 190 to a back left pin. Hit a low stinging draw with a 6i. Ran around the tree to see land middle of the green and release to the back pin to about 2 feet. Made the birdie - tied for first place in that tourney. More satisfying i was the only one to birdie that hole the entire day.

I've had two holes in one, a double eagle earlier ths summer, other eagles, lots of fun shots, etc. in 4 decades of golf, but finally coming back to this thread because one shot stays with me and the other ones seemed so lucky.

I'll skip the backstory, which is good, but my oldest daughter, my dad and I got to play the par 3 course at Arnie's Tradition Golf Club at La Quinta. Incredible place, have my daughter's picture with Arnie's house in the background, but I digress.

Immaculate place, like walking from the desert into a Jurassic Park tropical paradise. South American pears that were delicious. Crews of guys removing ball marked areas on greens and putting in plugs of new green, and so on.

Ended up in a bunker immediately front left of a green. Pin in front left close so not much room to play with at all. I'm in the coolest sand I've ever been in, and the green is above my head. I don't know how I pulled it off, but the bunker shot I had to hit was pretty much straight up, and ended up about 3 feet from the pin (apparently landed soft and died). Made the putt, which my daughter said was prerequisite to calling it my best shot ever, but it's still the best shot she has ever seen me pull off.

Maybe it was the day, the company, whatever, but that shot has stayed with me for the last five years, so I guess it gets the nod.

My best shot followed possibly one of my worst tee shots playing match play against a mate

Short Par 4 skied my tee shot about 100 yards at best didn't even reach the fairway. My mate was a good 270 middle of fairway.

Had about 235 left to green with the pin in front edge pulled out 3w hoping to get it down there as far as possible.

Caught it so sweet it looked close from far but when walked up to green had a nudge in for birdie to win hole

One of the most memorable for me was when I was just learning to play, maybe my 4th or 5th round... It was a par 3 over water, maybe 150yds or so, I bladed the hell out of it and sent it straight into the water where it skipped no less than 5 times across the pond, then rolled up the bank onto the green and rested 3 feet from the hole. Made my first birdie. Wasn't pretty, but will never forget it. I named the ball Jesus, because it could walk on water.

Either of my hole in ones, honestly, the first one I called the shape, spin back, etc. Second one, was a good shot that happened to go in...I guess in reality, any hole in one is mostly luck, but both were well struck balls.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

[quote name='golfdad907' timestamp='1439410890' post='12125380']
Either of my hole in ones, honestly, the first one I called the shape, spin back, etc. Second one, was a good shot that happened to go in...I guess in reality, any hole in one is mostly luck, but both were well struck balls.
[/quote]

Does this rate as 'passive'? :taunt:

Playing in scramble at Sea-N-Air at NASNI (Coronado, CA) on par 5 15th (used to be at 5), I hit 218yd 3 iron into the hole for double-eagle.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I think for me it was a second shot into a green in a scramble.

We were playing with our SVP and a client friend of his, The SVP was bit crazy about how competitive he was, 3 drvies dead in trees, our only ball alive was in rough stymied by a tree in front of us, the other three players all duffed it so I got them to all stand back and called a 40 yards hook around the tree from a terrible lie to a back left pin.

I hit the ball,came out with a beautiful high hook, ran out sideways to see where it was going, hit the middle of the green and fed back to about 3' where we made birdie.

In any other situation I would never have tried it, my SVP was slapping my back the whole way up the fairway after.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

Last week with my step dad and soon to be brother in law on a 365 yd par 4 , I rip one right up the middle about 260ish. Pull my gap wedge out , look down at my golf watch and I got 90 to the front 110 middle. Step up to the ball , my step dad tells me to put It in . Shot flies up nice and going right at the pin , one bounce and disappears. Eagle.

Ya there GI irons ... but I keep em clean .

I play a course in Lemont, IL called B[size=4]ig Run. It is long and it is difficult. #18 is 530 yards with the last half straight uphill. I hit driver, 3 hybrid then 8 iron. The green is so far above you that all you can see is the pin. I hit it inside ten feet and made the putt. The other was last month in a scramble, I got to play Kemper Lakes. I holed out a wedge from 65 yards for birdie. This game is starting to get fun. [/size]

Mine was a 3 wood that I hit that went 250 yards off the fairway without much roll. It was hit to the right side of the green about 25 yards but it was the longest I've ever hit and it was with a wood club. Still remember that shot that happened in the 80s. Nothing spectacular as far as a score but that feel was and still is allusive.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Shot at hand: 190 yrd center pin, hitting on a downhill lie with a overhanging branch in front. Basically a punch type of shot to get to cover the front and have it release.

Result: A hard knock down 7 iron to the front of the green. Clipped the branch and some how gave the ball forward spin, ball landed in the very front edge of the green and releases in the hole.

By far best shot I have hit all year. Lead to a -3 front side

17th at Hangman Valley in Spokane for a college tournament. Par 3. 200 yards or so. Pull my tee shot in a bunker. Next guy from one of our big rival teams pulls his in the bunker too. We get to our balls. Mine's plugged. He says, "Tough luck," or some nonsense. Pin is 50 feet or so, straight downhill. I get the ball out barely and it rolls ever so slowly into the cup for a 2. My team is all finished, came to watch me finish up. They go crazy. Rival makes 5. We both par 18. Our team beats theirs by one. Coach buys us a 24 four the drive back to Canada.

Was playing a par 3 a few weeks ago with some family and hit my tee shot over the green. Pin was back center and the green sloped hard from back to front, the worst of the slope was just beyond the flag. My ball ended up in a small patch of grass (size of 1/2 a dollar bill) surrounded by dirt. From where I was I couldn't even see the hole, only the stick. The green was sloping away from me pretty severely. I hit a "bunker" shot from the lie I had, just blasting it out and taking a rather large divot. Ball landed on the fringe, checked up, took one hop forward and started trickling down the hill right into the middle of the hole.

My father-in-law just looked at me in disbelief. My brother-in-law came to fist bump me. Meanwhile, all I could do was laugh because I thought there was no chance of getting it within 6 feet, let alone make it.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

Playing a scramble for Hooters. We had 8 guys in back to back tees. After 9 we played as a 8some. But oddly still waiting for the 4some in front Every hole. So after 9 it became bets on match play. We were neck and neck into 16th hole and none in my group had a decent drive to meet this dogleg. They did. So they're on in 2 from 30 feet. We had to punch to 100 yards maybe. I had one of my 4 who was a horrible golfer go and hold the flag stick, they're 4 were on the green waiting for us to hit From the fairway. I hit 3 feet in front of the cup bounced to 8 inches With my guy holding the flag. We tied the Bet. But I won 2 bets against guys saying I couldn't find it with in 10 feet. Everyone was dying crazy shot.

I have a new best shot...

Last Sunday afternoon I hit a tee shot that left me probably 20 or 30 yards directly behind a pine tree that sits at the corner of a dogleg par 5. I was in the fairway but short of the dogleg, which left the tree right in the line between me and the green. I had two options; 1) lay up or 2) attempt to hit a big fade around the tree. Well I went with option 2, and from 227 yards I carved a 5 wood around the tree, landing the ball on the front of the green. The ball rolled right past the hole, burning the edge and leaving me with about 3 footer for eagle which I drained. :superman:

This will sound entirely pedestrian, but my best shot ever was a 4 iron from 190 yards out to an elevated green. Hit the thing as pure as I ever have and was just in awe as I watched the thing fly in. Ball hit no more than ten feet from the cup and was just "hop and stop," and it was maybe a foot from the mark. It's not glorious, I think I missed the ten footer for birdie, and ended up hitting it in for par. But that four iron just convinced me that I don't need to worry about my long irons. I can hit them into greens. Not that long ago I would have hit a 7 iron to intentionally leave myself 40 short for a 50% lob wedge into the green.

Yesterday I may have a new one competing with my hole outs..... Par 5, I hit a great drive and then terrible second shot rolling 15 yards short of the 200 marker. Bust a 3W, that I expect knowing my 3W usually maxes 195-200 will be in the depression just short of the green. I walk up to find my 3W 2' short of the hole!!!