Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

Probably this one...Hit a TM UDI #1 Driving Iron high and dead straight into the wind on a 224-yard Par-3. Went right over the top of the flag. Unfortunately I missed the 12-foot Birdie...2-putted for Par. I've had hole-in-ones before, but for some reason, this shot seems more memorable. (Maybe because it is more recent). :taunt:

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was +3 going into the Par 5 9th hole at my local course. Has a tough back nine so I wanted to be at or right around par making the turn. Hit a good drive down the middle, leaving myself 210 yds on the second shot. It was downhill, and the pin was tucked right behind a tough bunker, but I went for it anyways. Ball landed just over the lip of the bunker and lipped out for Albatross. I could see the lip out because the green was downhill from a fairly elevated fairway. Tapped in the two footer for eagle!

• 1 year later...

Hole out from 175 that played about 185 to an uphill green for birdie on a par 5, after hooking a drive into trees and punching out. Hit a high cut 6 iron that landed perfectly and trickled in.

Taylormade 2017 M2 10.1* AD DI 6X
Taylormade 2016 M2 3HL deep face 15.2* AD DI 7X
Taylormade 2016 M2 18.4* AD DI 8X
Titleist 716 T-MB 23* Modus 125S (hardstepped x1)
Srixon Z745 5-PW Modus 125S (hardstepped x1)
Vokey SM6 52.08F, 56.10S, 60.10V Modus 125 wedge
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/370 (Slighter Custom)

Hole in one, because it was when I was playing well and was a good shot.

Driver to 1 foot on a 245 yard par 4, again a very good shot (last Sunday).

Driver on 265 yard par 4 to within 4 feet.

Sand wedge from 70 yards off side of hill and bouncing down for birdie. Quite a bit of luck with the bounces.

165 yard par 3 to within 6 inches.

172 yard par 3 to within 8 inches. My playing partner said "Did you mean to hit a fade with that shot?"

Hole out sand wedge from 100 yards.

80 foot sliding downhill putt in the hole (or close, memory getting fuzzy here).

Those sure were fun!

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

the 2 best shots of my life are somehow connected.

The first one was at my GC, during a tournament where the winners would go, for free, to the world final in Seychelles.

I started the tournament horribly, bad shots and three bogey in a row (saving one from a double).

Then I started playing well, but i shot 40 in the first nine.

The second nine went well and I was -1 for the 9 and +3 for the tournament.

I knew I needed a birdie in the last one to make it and last hole is a long par 4 (444 yards) uphill.

Great drive and the most pure 8 iron I ever shot (on of the best shot of my life), that bounced a few inches from the hole and stopped there for an easy birdie and the victory of the tourney.

So I won the final/holiday in Seychelles (!) where I went with my wife for playing the 2 days final.

I didn't care about the game as I preferred visiting the island, so I didn't even have practice rounds and played awfully.

But I succeeded in doing the very best shot of my life:

par 4, a lot of trees on the left, all water (a big lake ) on the right.

I hooked the driver and finished between the trees.

I had no shot if not a window between the trees, but i had to shot the ball quite high and make a draw/hook as the water was in front of that"window".

As I wasn't in contention, I tried this shot and it was perfect.

6 iron and Ball exactly in the window, turned left and landed perfectly close to the pin!

I thought to be in a video-game.

Infact, then I three putted. :swoon:

Quite possibly one I played last weekend. Pulled the drive left into the trees. About 150/155 out, no direct route out but spotted a small gap in the trees that I could punch it through. Had to hit a punch cut with a 6 iron to a slightly raised up green with bunkers in front. I took on the shot and hit it absolutely perfect. It made it through the tiny gap, cut back towards target, carried the greenside bunker by a yard, landed on top and the longer grass on top killed it and it stopped about 15ft from the hole. It was one of those shots where you see the gap but know that the chances of pulling it off are so slim, so to pull it off and play it absolutely perfect was awesome.

Recency bias is probably in play here, but this was still one hell of a shot.

In the first round of the Texas South Mid-Am a couple weeks ago, the wind was absolutely whipping (20mph+ with 35mph gusts) across the Club at Falcon Point—a ridiculously penal layout with water, OB, and trouble everywhere.

By the time I reached the 14th tee (423 par 4), conditions were awful, and this tough hole was playing directly into a ferocious wind. I pulled my drive a little left (2 yards off the fairway) in between two small moguls, leaving me 171 to a front-left pin with water short and left of the green.

Any shot that doesn't reach the surface of the green on the left half will end up in the water; any shot long or right must contend with a bunker and a big plateau/ridge on the green.

To make matters worse, my ball was downhill/sidehill a bit (with a fade bias), and given the extreme wind, I was thinking I'd need to hit 4i or 5i just to reach the green (my normal 5i carry is 208—the wind was ridiculous). Given the low launch angle I'd need to cut through the wind, I was worried I'd even be able to clear the mogul in front of my ball.

I decided to go with 4i anyway, and I stepped up and hit an absolute LASER toward the bunker just right of the green. The ball slowly rose about 30 feet in the air with a lazy draw moving toward the right half of the green. (Seriously, if you're a traj-ho, this shot was as good as it gets.)

The ball lands on the ridge line about 4 yards past the hole, and this is where things got fun—the green contours worked the ball left and down toward the hole. After a 35-foot roller coaster ride, the ball settled about 6 feet from the hole. And you know I drained that birdie putt.

There's something about watching the ball work its way toward the hole that's more satisfying than anything else in the game. It stokes your anticipation and lets you salivate a bit over the possibility of a birdie, eagle, whatever.

I've made plenty of eagles and dunked a few shots from the fairway, but given the degree of difficulty (at least 50% of misses would mean 6 or worse), that laserbeam 4-iron may be the best shot I've hit.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

My best shot was in league and lead to me winning my match. I found the right side fairway bunker off the tee of the 9th. The approach shot from this bunker had a tree between my ball and the green and the tree branches hung down preventing any sort of high shot. I hit a 20 yard cut from 190 with a Titleist ZM 3i from that bunker to 4 feet. The ball literally took the exact flight I visualized. I practically floated to the green I was so happy/ shocked. I dropped the 4 footer for birdie and that was that.

3 wood from 285 to within a foot. That rarest of shots that was hit so well that I barely felt the ball on the club face at all. Would love to have that kind of power and flexibility again.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Two come to mind. First one started with a topped driver that went about 100 yards. Downhill second from about 245, sand in front of the green, so I was hoping a solid 5 wood could get me close. Took the shot, saw a SPLASH of sand as the ball carried into the trap. Oh well. When we get down there, the ball had bounced out, stopping 5 feet from the pin. Birdie!

Second was a 135 approach, 9i shot, nothing difficult. But I saw an embankment a little long and left of the green. Took out my 8i, banked it off the hill, and it bounced right up next to the cup. An actual plan, and successfully executed, felt great. Of course, my partner wasn't watching...

like most members, I've have had a few really challenging putts go in, chips that were rewarding, (note - nothing mentioned about trap miracles here).

this photo of a great fairway shot is worth a share.

best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Wow! After readiing some of these, my own shots seem to pale

Hole in one, because it was when I was playing well and was a good shot.

Driver to 1 foot on a 245 yard par 4, again a very good shot (last Sunday).

Driver on 265 yard par 4 to within 4 feet.

Sand wedge from 70 yards off side of hill and bouncing down for birdie. Quite a bit of luck with the bounces.

165 yard par 3 to within 6 inches.

172 yard par 3 to within 8 inches. My playing partner said "Did you mean to hit a fade with that shot?"

Hole out sand wedge from 100 yards.

80 foot sliding downhill putt in the hole (or close, memory getting fuzzy here).

Those sure were fun!

This may be the first time I have replied to my own post, but having now read some of the posts I think all of my shots pale in comparison. I focused on the results, but I don't recall anything like some of the "... hit fading rope through a 3 foot window in the canopy just over the bunker guarding the green from 205 with a 6 iron to within 6 feet for an eagle putt that I drained...", Wow! You guys are good!!!

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Not sure the shot is my best, but by far the most enjoyable to watch. TPC Stonebrae hole 12 par 5. Hole is downhill, so yardages not representative of my average distance. Hit a solid drive for me, with downhill 300+. 205 or so out, with a baranca to carry, but plenty of room to be short. With the downhill i grab my 5 iron thinking I'd rather be short 10 yards than long. Hit it pure, about a 10yd draw that lands pin high on the other (right) side of the green. Seeing the shot streak to the green from above was fun, but the real fun part was once it hit the green. It ran to the back of the the green, hit a slope, turned left and came back, all the way around the hole leaving me 12 feet to the left of the hole.

Although i made birdie after leaving the eagle short, seeing the approach shot essentially tour the entire green was just fun to see. It went from yay i hit the green to oh no it's rolling off the back to, it's turning around, could it be a 2? To wow, a legit eagle putt. Ask in the span of seconds.

Two shots come to mind for me.

One is the approach which led to my first eagle. Par 5, my drive ended up in the right hand light rough on top of a little mound. 223 yards downhill. I hit a 23° hybrid, it flew on a rope, pitched in the middle of the green and rolled back to 6 feet.

My other best shot ever was a short pitch shot. The lie was across the cart path, under a tree, on a bunch of fluffy pine straw, stance on a root, pitching under the tree, over a mound and uphill (the cup is 33 yards away and about 8-10 feet above my head). I hit a gap wedge like a bunker shot and it popped out perfectly, rolled up inside 5 feet, and the best part is I made the putt!

Lots of lucky shots over the years.

One stands out in particular. A long par 4 on #4 at a local links track. Sunny but cold morning and my tee shot rolled off the fairway rested under the branch of the tree lined the cart path on the left side of the fairway. Ball was sitting up nicely but I had low over head clearance from the tree branch. Walked back and forth to get the yardage to the middle of the green which was just over 190, and the pin was tucked in the deep right of a shallow green.

Over a large bunker fronting the green, the pin looked inaccessible.

Pulled a 2 iron and practiced swung a few times with 3/4 follow through. Produced a low boring long iron shot went straight to the pin. As my playing partners watched and opened their mouth in awe when the golf ball bee lined a low trajectory over the bunker and landed close to the pin, stopped on the putting surface without running over the green. Must had been the morning dew still on the green which stopped the golf ball.

I was expecting to find the golf ball behind the shallow green instead of pulling out the putter. Did not make the putt for birdie, got an invitation to play with the group's weekly schedule immediately after we walked off the green.

-Lipped out for albatross on my second shot at The Ocean Course in Kiawah. I destroyed my drive and it got to the downslope and I only had about 240 and I killed a 3 wood straight into the wind and it fed right up to the hole and out.

-Hit the 6th at Congressional in 2. There was nothing crazy just 2 really good shots. I played that hole probably a dozen times before I could do it. Felt good

-Made a 50 footer for eagle in my HS match last year. I killed it right at the hole and dropped it. It was a lot of fun to see it go in.

• 2 weeks later...

The two best shots I've had, that stick in my mind, both resulted in eagles.

1. Blocked my drive right on a par 5 and had pine trees in my line to the green; no choice but to pitch out into the fairway for my 2nd. 196 to the flag on my 3rd, hit a 5 iron that hits the green and I think nothing of it until the rest of our foursome all reaches the green. My ball is nowhere to be seen. Suspecting it went off the back, the four of us search for a few minutes, with no luck, until someone checks the cup. My first eagle and the only ball I've ever holed out other than greenside chips/pitches

2. 2nd shot on a par 5, 221 out. 3h to inside 3 feet.

Honorable mention: hooked my tee shot left on a long par 4 (plays 430 - 450 depending on the tee placement), ball ends up with trees in my line to the green. It's one of those gift-from-the-golf-gods 60 degree days in February, so I'm not really playing for score...I'm just happy to be playing. Going for the green would require about a 30-yard hook around the tree limbs from just inside 200. Same hybrid 3 as #2 above...close my stance, take a cut, and knock it inside 20 feet. Not a shot I can pull off with any regularity. Normally I'd either hit a duck hook or block one waaaay right under that circumstance.

I've hit some 6i through wedge shots pretty stiff for birdies, but they don't get committed to memory quite like long approaches that result in eagles.

Best shot; hole #7 at Gallaghers Canyon Golf Club in Kelowna BC. Par 4 - 360 yards from the Blue tee. Hit a disgusting tee shot that went next to nowhere and into the left rough. I was playing with my good buddy and CPGA Instructor Derek. After seeing my tee shot and how pathetic it was he looked at me as I climbed into the cart and asked “how are you gonna play your next shot? I shrugged my shoulders with uncertainty. ” I lasered the distance to pin and I was 230 yards out. Derek says “well?” I was being forced to hit a draw to follow the tree that lined the left side of the fairway. I grabbed my 3 wood and announced I was going to hit a purely struck 3 wood with a perfect draw that will curve right at the flag. Derek say “commit to it.” I set up closed, 2 practice swings, step in, check target and in my mind I draw a line the ball will fly after it is struck and then I pulled the trigger. I hit it so pure, I held my finish until the ball hit the green. Derek gave me a standing ovation and smiled. When we got to the green I was 20 feet for birdie, which I made! I remember this hole like it happened yesterday. Shots like this one only builds the addiction stronger!

http://www.golfbc.com/courses/gallaghers_canyon/about/hole_by_hole/7

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

A 160 yard par 3. I hit a high draw which landed on the right side of the green and breaked left to get into the hole for an ace. I still couldn't believe it. I played the right side cause there was a bunker and a lake on the left side. Everything from the swing to the contact to the finish till seeing the shot went in was dream like. That is not usually the case.. my normal shots are usually nightmare like :wave:

Probably my best that I can think of is toward the end of last summer I was 180 out on a tough par 4 at my club. Slight wind against, maybe 8ft uphill or so. I hit a clean 5-iron that I thought was on a pretty good line. It hit just in front of the green, bounced, and rolled up the slope to the frontish-middle pin location and disappeared into the hole for eagle.

probably most memorable for me was an Eagle on the 13th @ my local course with my son and brother-in-law....short par 4, hit a terrible 3 wood off the tee that rolled out pretty descent, shot it @ 165 to the stick. Pin tucked tight left corner. Long flys the hill, rolls the cart path and goes OB, short it goes in the hazard. not a pin location i would usually attack but I had played terribly up to that point and was needing to pick up some strokes.. give it a full 7 iron straight at the stick, ball hits the ridge, rolls back down and holes out for eagle.

This one is my buddy's shot, but I'll share. We were on a Myrtle Beach golf trip with about 40 guys. We were playing King's North, and they have a hole called The Gambler. You can go straight for this island fairway (gamble) or play it safe by going for a much larger fairway to the right that isn't a forced carry over water. My buddy is pretty drunk, and he tells me he is going for it. He hits his driver, and it starts out on a good line for the island fairway, but he sliced it, so it ends up on the right fairway. He is all smiles though because he absolutely bombed it. We were playing the senior tees (due to our group) and he probably hit the ball about 300 yards. The smart move at this point is for him to lay up. However, he decides hes going for it again. This was before I had a GPS watch (maybe before GPS watches), but he probably had at least 200-220 yards to the green with water to carry and water if he went long (however unlikely). I think he pulled a hybrid out. I remember him stumbling to the ball, and looking like he was lined up wrong. Then he hit a long high shot that was a straight as could be. He landed middle of the green and then two putted for birdy. That was the one of the luckiest shots I've ever seen followed by one of the best.

To this day I'm not sure how I pulled this off, but it was memorable.

Playing Del Urich in Tucson a few years back. Got to 17 which is a little par 3 over a pond. Hit the dreaded left and left off the tee and ended up under a tree. Between me and the green was a 4-5' high hill that had a sand trap on the other side of it. On the other side of the green was a straight drop off to the pond.

Ouch.

I happened to look up, and saw a hole through the tree limbs that was almost a perfect circle of about 5' in diameter. Hmmm... I started pulling clubs and putting the clubhead down near the ball I stepped on the face and saw where the shaft was pointing. I found a club that pointed right at that hole (don't remember which one), and looked at my playing partner and grinned. He said something like "are you nuts?" as I set up to take the shot.

Like I said I still don't believe it, but I put the ball right through that hole in the canopy, clearing the bunker and dropping right next to the hole for a kick-in par. While having drinks in the clubhouse my friend was trying to tell people about that shot and no one would believe him.

Heck, I didn't believe him either. Nobody could pull off a shot like that. ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Two come to mind immediately, both struck with my favorite club (titleist 690cb 2iron). Interestingly both have a lot to do with context rather then the quality of the shot itself.

First occasion was teeing off on the first tee of a jr golf tournament, I was paired up with a local "champ" and a lot of folks came to watch people tee off. It was a pretty snug par 4 and my play was a smooth 2 iron up the left side for yardage. I immediately regretted that decision when I was looking down at that tiny club head almost shaking in front of everyone. I took a rip at it and closed my eyes, didn't feel a thing, I actually figured I missed the ball completely! As I opened my eyes I heard the subdued clap and saw the ball soaring perfectly centre fairway with a slight draw... craziest experience ever...

2nd time was provincial amateur, wasn't playing too well and on a hole managed to hook one into the forest... deep into the forest. Smash a provisional and go take a token look in the trees. One of the rules official is already there and says "sorry, I think I found your ball..." I go take a look and of course it's clearly my ball. As I identify it the rules guy says "well guess you're going back to the tee" and starts walking away. More out of spite then anything I saw a very thin gap in the trees and asked my caddy for the 2 iron... the guys I was playing with and the rules guy rolled their eyes. I teed off on this thing, back of the stance hooded face and it managed to not hit anything on the way out and somehow run up the elevated green and about 5 feet from the hole. Made the putt still missed the cut... oh well screw that rules guy.

I have 2 also. Both with a 6 iron. Both happened over 10 years ago...

1st - was at San Luis Rey Downs in Bonsall (now closed). Par 5. I had hit my drive left into the trees but it was fortunate enough to run through and was way down there. I had 185 to the green and there was a perfect window among the trees and I "saw the shot". As soon as the ball took off I knew I flushed it and it was all over the flag. Landed past the back pin and just ran off the green to about 15 feet away. Rolled the putt in for my first eagle ever.

2nd - was in Palm Springs many years ago at the Indian Wells Country Club (forgot which Cove 9). Had a green about 180 away that was tucked behind the dogleg left. At that time I was learning how to turn the ball over. I hit a big rope hook that went out to the right and turned all the way back left and ran onto the green.

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

If I had to pick 1.

1) 18th hole in Pennant, I'd been 5 up and my opponent played out of his skin to square it thru 17 and had all the momentum, I was left side behind a massive gum tree about 160m out from the green he was middle of the fairway 140m out. I had no other shot than to chip it out sideways or take a chance on a high risk shot that needed to start a good 40-45m right of the green, the hole had 2 greenside bunkers on the right, with the land falling away hard to the left from the middle to left sides of the fairway short of the green towards another bunker greenside left and fairly gnarly rough.

I knew I couldn't carry it on with the greens absolute lightning, but probably had about 5-7m of flat area between the right greenside trap and where the land fell away to the left side that a shot could run through, the entire fairway also sloped slightly right to left which made that window even smaller.

Grabbed a 6 iron hit a medium/low hook absolutely flush, it hooked plenty then seemed to almost straighten itself out, landed about 35m short of the green, rolled right along the edge of the right bunkers, got through the gap and onto the green, the putting surface was well above the fairway so had no idea how close it was, initially thought it would have been through the back but could hear a few claps up behind the green so figured maybe it was 10-15 feet away, got up there and it was 3 foot from left of the hole.

Opponent pushed it into the front right bunker, left himself a 20m bunker shot, it didn't release, he still had 15 feet, missed the par putt and that was game over.

If I was talking a sequence of best shots, I won a matchplay championship as a junior with 5 consecutive birdies to close out a 36 hole matchplay round, after being well up I bogeyed 4 of the previous 5 holes to be square with 8 to go. Those last 5 birds included a gap wedge into a par 5 that spun back about 15 feet off the top tier to tap in distance bottom tier, a hole out off one hop greenside bunker shortsided with a downhill lie and a 30 foot putt from just off the green.