Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

We had our IT department summer picnic at a golf course which kicked off with a best ball scramble first thing in the morning. The free beer cart was making frequent stops at our group (this was the mid 1980s), and being 25 years old, I had probably a few more beers than I should have. So we're sitting about 210 yards out for our 2nd shot and I volunteer to hit first. I hit my 3 wood just perfectly and it comes to rest 1 foot from the hole.

We're all cheering and then I look around and say, "Hey, that's not the correct green... ours is over there!"

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]Probably my best shot........[/b] was during a fun match between a buddy and I for a pitcher of beer .......during a 9 hole late afternoon match. We both really sucked at the time.

I bounced a tee shot off the back of the green on a par 3 9th hole with the match tied. My shot landed directly behind one of those tall "needle looking" pine trees.

I had nothing............except a little imagination and a worn out low bounce Wilson sand wedge. I was about 25 yards from the pin and I needed to get the ball up over a 15-20 foot pine.

I took the biggest swing I could reach for and slid it head under the ball.

It landed about 15 feet short on a downhill..............and rolled the rest of the way in the hole.

We both still laugh about it 30 years later.

my best shot was a wide open 60* wedge to a ultra tight downhill pin from some shaggy rough right off the green..
i took the fastest full swing I could, and popped the ball up about 6 feet to land softly on the green about 3 or 4 feet away.
of course i missed the putt, but the 3 hcp i was playing with was duly impressed.. i don't think i could reproduce that shot even with 100 tries.

Downhill lie in the sand to an elevated green sloping away, had reeds in my backswing and slapped it to ~3ft. I was coming across the green which couldn't have been more than eight paces across at the angle I was at...probably had one square foot in which to land it. Would have been an outstanding shot just to get it on the green. I've hit plenty of goods shots, but that one is far and away the best.

Hole in one 10 years ago. Par 3 over water with the pin on the front. Can't remember what club I hit, but I remember the shot.

I hit a 4 iron from 240 recently to 3 feet. From the rough, uphill and into wind on a par 5. Tapped in for eagle.

I was playing a friend in a match play once and he was 1 up with two to play He hit the ball to 3 feet on a par 3. I was off the green, on the fringe, but about 6 foot above the hole and about 6 foot of break. I got really unlucky that the ball didn't feed back down. I chipped in and he missed the putt. I won the last.

Another shot was an approach shot from about 70 yards on a par four in the pouring rain. I pitched the ball in the cup and damaged the front edge badly, but the ball didn't stay in the hole. It had the indent of a quarter of a golf ball in the front edge

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, if my shot on page one was my #1 shot, considering the difficulty and what was at stake, this shot would be 1A, and it took place about a month after my 4i shot, say, the fall of '94. If you're detecting a pattern here, well, I was playin at a traveling +2.9, had a lot of confidence and didn't give any thought to missin. If it happened, it was a fluke and I gave it no thought.

So, it's the final foursome of the Clubs, the final 18(36 hole final), and the final hole, a 219yd uphill par 3 with a wicked two tier green and a severe greenside bunker left. While it may not have rivaled the Devil's A**H***(Pine Valley), it was the Devil's Pr***, lol.

Ya didn't wanna end up there ;)

Yep, I did and as I had landed in the frog hair right off the left side of the green, I had rolled down the sand to settle right at the bottom and was looking at a severe uphill play with only the top 2-3' of the pin visible to me.

Oh yes, the pin, lol.

It was top tier about 6-7' off of the left fringe.

There's a short side pin and there was this.

The green's were rolling at 12 and baked ;)

I was tied with my FC and -2 for 71 holes and we were 4-5 strokes clear of our nearest competitor. He was laying on the second tier, 12-13' to the right and slightly above the pin.

I wish I could say that I was brimming with confidence and had my usual, well, some would say cockiness as I had a nice club twirl long before Tiger ever swung one, lol, however as I walked up the fairway with 80-100 peeps following us and about 100-125 around the green and on the clubhouse porch overlooking the green my actual thought was "boy did I goat f*** this tourney."

I had back-to-backers in 1987-1988 and I was the defending Champion and was coming off of that Pro/Am BB Championship along with a T10 in the State Mid-Am(for me, that was great, as I was a football Player masquerading as a Player, LMAO)

So I had pretty much accepted that it ended here with this shot.

So much so that I took my SW(56°) from my caddie and did one thing that I never ever have done since my teen years, and the other, only once that I could recall. First, I never ever took practice swings. I would do a PSR move that I'm not gonna get into here but it didn't involve my club. However I took my wedge, took a look at the gallery on the porch, of which my Parents, my Teacher, my then GF and her Father were front and center, turned my back, took two half-a** swipes at the top of the grass and stepped into the bunker, splayed my wedge as open as possible and still able to get the ball up 8'+ and hopefully have the heavy short side rough slow it down to a trickle and hopefully stop it within 5'

LMAO, yea right ;)

Oh yea, that second thing that I never EVER did-

I said screw my PSR, lol.

Could only remember doing that one other time in a tourney(see worst shot/highest score, my Kevin Costner).

I took it back, dropped a little, and came through like a MFer, lol.

Damn, if the ball didn't rise, catch the top bunker grass perfectly, and disappear over the top and onto the green-

The next thing I remember is the people going crazy clapping, cheering and my Father and GF hugging(My Dad's like the most unemotional male I've ever met with a pulse ;) ).

I still didn't know if it went in or was close.

My caddie, a retired marine drill Sargent, who was the 2nd most unemotional male that I knew, came over the top of the trap, caught air, landed on his feet and basically tackled me, taking us both down, lmao.

It was then that he told me that it went in.

My FC then had to make his, which he slid by on the low side and it stopped 6' below the pin. He missed the come backer for a 3 and I had my second back-to-backer by two-

Yep, as I think about it, that was a pretty special shot-

It's amazing what you can do when ya don't give a s*** and you just swing the club, lol

Stay Well Bros :)

All the Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

There's so many but two stick out in my mind immediately.

1) holed out in my provincial amateur. 177 yards and a strong left wind. I aimed right at the bunker and the wind carried my ball to the green, spun left and rolled about 4 feet into the hole. I didn't see it go in.

2) par 5 at my home course is a dogleg right guarded by trees all down the right and left. Hitting the left of the fairway or left centre is the best angle to the green.

I was more on the right side about 190 yards to a front pin tucked behind a bunker. I hit a huge beautiful fade landed about a foot from the pin and lipped the cup. Tap in eagle.

Mine was one of two shots. Par 5 1st hole of my home course. I cut the dogleg with driver and really mash one. End up 140 out for second shot. I hit pw into a late evening sun where I can't even see the pin .. According to the guys coming off the 7th tee it one hoped and went into the hole. Double eagle ! But a close second in my mind was a recovery shot I hit 3-4 weeks ago.

Par 4 I have pw again into the uphill green and I hit a horridly thin shot over the flag and down over the back of the green. I get to the ball and it's sitting on a two foot square of hard pan. I'm pitching back up the hill around 20 feet through an opening in the trees and with a pin that's tucked center back. The pin is 5 paces on and 3 of that are dropping off the back. So I'm landing into an upslope. I take my 56 and open it up. And I play a little outside in cut that I've always played. I'll aim it out left of the target and it always gets left to right spin when it lands. Now the hard part was going to be picking it off the concrete. Well I did. Picked it clean and when it landed it hit 3 feet left of the pin and had so much side spin on it it jumped right and hit the pin and dropped. Playing partners were speechless. Lol. I knew I would get it to stop closely but didn't really think it would go in. They even had to examine the spot where I hit it. Tiny little divot is all that was there. A fraction higher and I would have skulled it into the next fairway

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was playing a course for the first time with a friend and they paired us with a husband and wife. I was at a dress on my second shot to a par 5 with my 3 wood. The husband says keith you know there's water in front of the green right? I back off and say yes I do. His wife got mad and asked what he was doing. I set back up and pured my shot to about ten feet. He apologized and said he'd never interrupt me again lol.. I missed the putt btw of course

I've played for so long I've amassed a catalogue and can remember them all as clear as day, but my favourite was a real pressure shot.

I'd pushed my drive and had 200yds to the centre of the green, over a stand of small dense trees, but because I was on another fairway there happened to be a group of greenkeepers just in front of the trees.
They were no more than 100 yards away in direct line to the flag and despite my calling 'fore' several times completely ignored me.

It was before the era of hybrids and I've never been the best long iron player (who is?), so perhaps it was the effect of concentrating so much, trying to ensure I didn't catch them in the teeth, that I struck it perfectly.
The sort of feel you get when, on those rare occasions, you get the timing right in perfect balance and hit the ball perfectly square in the middle. There's almost no resistance from the ball and they just seem to zip away!

It went arrow straight exactly where I'd aimed and cleared the trees and greenkepers beautifully. Unfortunately, I couldn't see it land, but it had hit the green about 10 feet short of the flag and rolled to within a few inches.
The pitchmark was evident and my playing companions confirmed it.

It's funny how you can remember every detail about something so unimportant that happened 25 years ago! Golf does that to you...

Playing Anaheim Hills with my Father in Law, Hole #11, PAR 4 - 398, breeze to my back, I nutted my drive and drove the green. There was a foursome putting, I didn't yell fore because who would have thought of a 400 yard drive? The group finished and waited by the hole for my group to show up. I thought they were pissed, turns out they just wanted to see who drove the green.
Ball ended up on the wrong side of a tiered green. I had 7 people watch as I 3 putt par.
Longest drive I have ever hit.

Actual best shot - I pushed my drive on a par 5 and had 244 in. Hit a perfect 3 wood that drew to the front of the green and rolled up the ridge on the green and down into the hole for an Albatross.

Best shot that wasn't really very well hit - Playing with a bunch of buddies when I'm 18 or so and I'm probably 175 out from an elevated green. My buddies are on the next tee which is adjacant to the green separated by very tall trees. I hit a slice right towards them and the ball hits the tire of their cart, gets trampolined a mile into the air over the trees and gently lands right next to the hole for a tap in birdie.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Last week, I hit the longest drive of my life - I turned [i]68[/i] in July, playing since I was 8. Well, not every minute of every day - I should have written that I [i]began [/i]to play at 8 years old. I never expected to hit a ball [i]348 [/i]yards, but that's what I did on a 481 yd. par 5, slightly up an incline and into a headwind of about 12-15 mph. To say I was shocked is a gross understatement. I never felt the clubface contact the ball and instead of the normal Ping ringing sound, there was a nearly imperceptible "click". Tee shots on the hole must go over a pond with 10' high bushes on the far side, so when I walked to where it [i]might [/i]have been if I cleared the bushes - no ball. Ah, another shot in the water, I thought. A playing partner in his cart, whom I had just met at the first tee, motioned to me that my ball was farther ahead and pointed forward. By the time I walked to my ball after stepping off the yardage from the 150 marker, I was 133 yards from the center of the green. I was truly stunned. I hit a Ping G30 with a stock stiff shaft. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 148 lbs. I go to an exercise facility every day (I only use "thera-bands" with handles for upper body); I'm just trying to stay somewhat fit, as I've been athletic all of my life and don't want to fall into that "age trap" excuse thingy. What happened has thrown me for a loop - how could I have hit a ball so purely, I'll never know. My lowest index was 7.2 but that was many years ago and when I played 4-5 times a week. There was no trickery or chicanery, just a good smooth swing and an amazing, not-to-be-believe result. This was the second hole and the second drive after my first (weak) drive of about only [i]200[/i] yards. I normally hit driver between 235-250 (r&c), but this was ridiculous. I birdied the hole but really didn't care or notice much. The "god of golf", or a lucky swing and contact coming together in perfect, and I mean perfect, harmony, gave me a gift because those are the only ways it could have happened. As a secular humanist, I'd guess and prefer the latter. 348...I’m still a little shaky from the experience.

[size=2]Ping 30 10.5 45.75" stiff OEM shaft*[/size]
[size=2]Tight Lies 15* 42" stiff Ping TFC 149 shaft*[/size]
[size="1"]Ping i20 irons 4-W black dot Ping CFS steel stiff shafts -¼"*[/size]
[size=2]Ping Rustique tour 54/14 wedge heel grind*[/size]
[size=2]Ping Gorge Tour 56/12 wedge heel grind* [/size]
[size=2]Vokey raw 58/8 wedge*[/size]
[size=2]Original Anser (1986) putter 34" 2.0 Super Stroke grip[/size]

[size=2]* Lamkin Tour Black cord grips[/size]

[quote name='sumthingcool' timestamp='1443266906' post='12369852']
I was playing a course for the first time with a friend and they paired us with a husband and wife. I was at a dress on my second shot to a par 5 with my 3 wood. The husband says keith you know there's water in front of the green right? I back off and say yes I do. His wife got mad and asked what he was doing. I set back up and pured my shot to about ten feet. He apologized and said he'd never interrupt me again lol.. I missed the putt btw of course
[/quote]

On your second shot, was that the husband's dress or his wife's? I'm guessing wife.

On the theme of long driving I thought I'd add a very memorable, although rather bizarre, one of mine.

It was the first hole at a little 9 hole municipal, Aintree Golf Course, near Liverpool. I say 'little', but it's one of the longest 9 hole courses in the UK and the first is 546 yards from the yellow tees (not even the back!).
The fairway is wide and flat, with gorse down the right, and a road and out of bounds on the left.

I made a pretty decent strike, but was too cautious regarding the gorse, which is the main danger, and pulled it left. There followed the most ridiculous sequence of bounces I've ever witnessed as my ball hit the road and flew enormously high and straight each time. I would have expected, just by chance, for it to hit a stone or undulation and kick off to the side, but it didn't do that until the last few yards of road and then went right, back onto the fairway away from the OB.

Distance? Somewhere in the region of 480 yards. Down to me? Not remotely! I can always boast, though...

2005 SCGA Mid-Am. North Ranch Country Club in Westlake Village, California. I'm relatively new to competitive golf, having entered my first "real" tournament in 2000. The previous year, 2004, I qualified for both the SCGA Am and Mid-Am and made the cut at both tournaments, but I didn't really know how my game stacked up against the better players in California.

In the morning round, I shot 73, but bogeyed two of the last three. I was a few off the lead. In the afternoon, I played well and was 1-under heading to the 18th, a 424-yard par-4 with a deep, elevated green. I hit a very good drive down the left side that ran forever and I had 105 to a front-right pin with the green above me, but a slight breeze behind me.

I figured it played the full 105, which was a perfect sand wedge for me.

My shot never left the flag. It flew a few yards behind it and sucked back and into the hole for an eagle.

I walked into the clubhouse, signed my card and found out soon thereafter that the 69 put me in the final pairing the next day.

I will never forget that tournament.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I was playing a round with my two brothers and the "pro" at the course we were playing, who happened to be our distant cousin and the best friend of my youngest brother. The pro was not long by any means, but he was straight and had a killer short game. My younger brother and I were long and wild, while my middle brother played a game similar to the "pro", just 20 yards longer and -10 instead of scratch+.

The hole was dead straight and not terribly long, but OB ran the length of the right side, and the previous hole's fairway was along the left side. About 150 yards from the green and within reach of a good drive mature pines sprung up right next to both sides of the fairway.

Afraid of the OB, I smother hooked my drive so far left it ended up beyond the fairway and into the right rough of the previous hole, 100 yards further away than the "pro". I had to shift around to get a peek at the flag, since the big pines blocked my view. I hit my 4h over the trees and to tap in distance on the green, all while rushing to avoid the group coming up the previous fairway.

The "pro" just shook his head and said nobody hits uglier shots, or prettier shots than a Cad#$%^ boy. I took it as a compliment.

Playing with a group of guys from work I was in a par 4 that was 287 to the flag. The hole plays uphill which the hole played more like 295ish. I hit driver and hit a perfect draw over the bunker that guards the green and the ball stops 4 from the cup. Drained the putt for eagle. Needless to say I have played that hole about 7 more times and cannot recreate that shot. lol

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

My best shot ever was my tin cup moment. Finishing hole was a par 5 with water surrounding the front and sides of the green. Hit a perfect drive. I could of laid up to any distance up to about 190 yards or tried to carry the water to the pin at 235. I felt so on on the back that i decided to take 3 wood and go for it. 235 requires a perfect 3 wood for me. It was the best feeling shot I have ever hit. Was a slight draw and was on the flag the entire time. ball went directly over the flag, landed right behind it and stopped about 10 feet from the hole. Ball mark was right behind the cup. Wish i made the putt, but still made birdie for a round of 41-35 on a par 36-37 course. Still my best score ever and the only time I have shot under par for 9 holes.

I'll let you know when I finally hit a good one on the course.

[size=3][color=#ff0000][b]I'm a business/recreational golfer with a 100 MPH driver swing speed, and a 10 HC.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=3]Ping K15, 9*, Motore F3 70s | [/size][size=3]Titleist 915F, 15*, Blue 70s | [/size]T[size=3]itleist 915H, 18*, Rogue 85Hs [/size][size=3]| [/size]T[size=3]itleist 816H2, 23*, [/size][size=3]Speeder HB8.8[/size]
[size=3]Callaway XR Pro 5-AW, Recoil 110 | [/size][size=3]Ping Glide 54*/SS, 58*/WS | [/size][size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H[/size]
[size=3]Golf Pride CP2 Pro Grips | [/size][size=3]Wilson Duo/Spin | [/size][size=3]Leupold GX-3i[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

This just happened today at the golf course I work at a small par 3 course just working on my irons and playing a relaxing round with a buddy. Short par 3 83 yards into the wind. I hit a 60 perfect lands right over the flag and spins in for my first ever hole in one. Needless to say it was the best shot of my life.

1993 150 yards out in the middle of the fairway, the shot is almost a straight uphill had to add 2 clubs . Take a 6 iron and put it on the front of the green and it rolled 25 feet into the hole. Didn't see where the ball ended up due to severity of the slope.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0