Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

My only hole-in-one so far is, obviously, one of my favorites. I switched from a wedge to a 9 iron at the last second. When I hit the shot, I posed... which is rare for me because I don't have the best balance during my swing. I just felt like I hit it really well and didn't want to take my eyes off the ball. It hit the front of the green and released (I never really compressed the ball well enough to make it spin back then)... it rolled about 12 feet forward and disappeared. It was an awesome feeling! To make it even better, I birdied the next hole and finished the round with my first sub-90 score ever.

Another one of my favorites was playing in the match play portion of the Club Championship back in 2009. I had a 2 up lead with 4 to play but had managed to find myself 1 down heading to the 18th tee. I got a break and my opponent had put his approach shot into a hazard, but I almost gave it away when I put myself shot-sided in a greenside trap. I then hit a shot that I thought was going to be good, but it caught the rough and died on the fringe, leaving me about 25 feet for my par. My opponent sank a twisting 40 footer to make his bogey, which meant I had to make it to advance. I lined up and drained it. We went back to the 1st tee and my drive split the middle while he flared his right into a fairway bunker. He came up well short while I dropped my 6 iron about 8 feet to the right of the pin. He struggled from there and I burned the edge of the cup and tapped in for my par to advance.

I could list a ton of 'best shots' that I've hit over the years. The truth is, they all keep me coming back. Without those shots, I'd have given up the game long ago!

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best shot happened in high school during the state championship. I had doubled the last hole the previous day put us further behind, but even so we started the day just a handful of strokes out of first and on the final day after hitting my second shot on the Par 5 13th into the green side bunker my coach road up to me and told me the worst score out on the course for us was +3, the number I was sitting on at the time. We were in great position if we could just get a few better. I splashed out to 5 feet and made the putt to get back to +2. I hit the par 5 16th in 2 and two putted for birdie to get to plus +1. The 17th was a par 3 about 145 yards. I pulled an 8 iron and hit a shot that stayed in the air forever. When it finally came down it was just 6 inches away. I parred the last to come in at even par. That stretch of holes highlighted by the shot on 17 was one of my favorite golf memories. Unfortunately we still finished second but to play those last holes in -3 was exciting

Very rare that the result is as good as the feel but I was fortunate enough to get both this past Summer while on an outing with my brother. Holed out for eagle on a short dogleg par 4. Finally put alignment and flushing it together from 90 yards out with my SW lol. The club through impact felt super solid and a one hop eagle was very rewarding!

My first year playing golf I got on the high school golf team and was out as the number 2. 2nd hole was a straight forward drive but with a tree in he middle of the fairway, pound it over the tree and hole the 80 yard wedge for my first eagle, look over at the guy Im playing against and he starts crying....it was hilarious.

I have 3 shots that I can recall as "my best" (so far).

1) 13th hole, 2nd shot on a 560 par 5. Drive went 290 (following wind) and was left with about 260ish to the front of the green. 2/3rds right side of the green is protected by a bunker, so flying it to the green over the trap is, for me, unthinkable. Take out my 3w and make a really, really good swing and it is cutting left to right (my normal shot), lands in front of the green, takes a small bounce over the left edge of the bunker and rolls toward the hole. Made 3' putt for Eagle.

2) 14th hole (different course than #1), 420yd par 4 about 50' elevation drop from tee to green. Hit a good drive about 260+ leaving me about 160 to the flag. 8i shot lands on the left side of the green, follows the left to right slope of the green, and tracks towards the hole about 15 feet, and disappears. :)

3) 15th hole (different course than 1 or 2 above) Another par 4, 300yds but this time we're about 80-90 feet above the hole. I love this hole because it's a true "I dare you" hole (see pic). Lots of bailout on the left, pond in front of the green, so it will catch you if you're short. Long over the green (about 10 yds away from the green) is an OB stone wall. Right of the green is another hole and more water. Again, following wind, driver to the center of the green, about 1' from hole. :) Here's the pic of the hole from near the bottom of the hill.

Fenner_Hill_Golf_Club-photo.jpg

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Not very exciting but a 145 ish yard 8 iron hole out for a 2 on a par 4. Probably my favorite shots are the 60-80 yard wedges that drop in close to kick in range. Maybe the most satisfying part of the whole game for me.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

I have two HOI's. Day after my second HOI, I was playing with one of the same guys. Hit my 2nd shot on a par 3 into the cup for a bird from about 30 yds off the green. He looks at me and says "Seriously?" I almost fell down, laughing so hard.
Two other second shots that I really enjoyed.
Par 5, around 520 yds. Great drive, then hit a 4 wood 230 yds off the deck onto the green, rolled to 7 feet for eagle. (I missed)
Par 5. FIrst shot OB, third shot dead center of the fairway. Then a 3 wood to 7 feet, rolled in the putt for par. Playing two other guys for money, they both bogeyed.

Best shot I ever hit came in a Senior Club Championship, a 36-holer I played a few years ago.

I was tied for the lead on the 16th hole, a short par 4, on Sunday. My opponent missed the green into a back bunker and I knew it would be a difficult up-and-down. I had 138 to a tricky back pin with some breeze in the face. A 9-iron to the center would have been a nice conservative play. I decided to take a chance and went flag-hunting with a knocked-down 8-iron. I thought it was a good risk at the time as I really liked the idea of a two-shot lead with two holes to go and figured the worst that would happen was that I'd still be tied with 2 holes to go.

I struck the ball solidly and watched as it headed straight toward my target. The ball landed about 6 feet from the hole, checked off a sideslope, caught a piece of the hole and stopped about 4" away. I have no idea how it didnt go in but it got me the two-shot lead I had hoped for which I was able to nurse into the clubhouse for the win.

Best for me was getting on a my home courses' par 5 in two (struggle immensely with the 3 wood)

Hit my drive probably 240 at most then put a hurting on the 3 wood from a fluffy lie and porked it out there 230 to the green. If i re-call, i three putt that whole.

Even with the poor putting, that 3 wood made me feel awesome.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

About 15years ago I was playing Bethpage Black from the tip.
On 15 hole, playing about 460, hit my driver to right side fairway and had 189 to the middle of the green.
I didn't have range finder to click the flag, but the ball was right next to yardage marker.
I hit my brand new titleist blade 3 iron to left side of green.
When I arrived at the green, did not find a ball, later found it in the cup!!
I don't know about best hit shot, but most memorable one.

my best shots:

1. just off the green, ball was at the bottom of a slight hill and only a flop shot would get me near the pin, flopped it about a yard away from the pin and it rolled it.
2. my ball was about 3 yards behind a tree and i was 180 yards away from the pin, i had a slight angle but i would have to sting the ball with a draw to get in onto the green, flushed it, the ball flight was perfect and it landed left side of the pin about 7 yards away.
3. lob wedge from about 50 yards, nailed it, landed about 1 yard from the pin, rolled and hit the pin and stopped about 3 inches from the pin (unfortunately it didn't go in!) but it is still one of the best shots i have ever hit.

A few years ago a buddy of mine are playing with another guy at the Ranch Golf Course in California. If you know the course, it's a...real beast. First hole I hit my drive to the fairway bunker on the left. I get to my ball and I have about 145 yards to the hole. All I can see it the top of the flag from the bunker. I proceed to hit my shot while the other two are looking for their balls. I hit it and can see it heading towards the flag. I get out of the bunker and rake it and head to the green. Can't find my ball short, long, left or right. The other two guys show up and we are looking for it and can't find it at all. I'm cussing my butt off and my buddy goes to take the flag out so the other guy can putt. The ball is in the hole. Never saw the shot go in the cup, nor did anyone else. The best shot i ever hit and never saw the end result.

Not sure if this is the BEST shot but I needed it for a 74, my best score ever. I even made a diagram to describe it. HAHAHA! No, I'm not in 5th grade, just having some fun.

17th hole, par 4, yank my drive way left behind a row of trees. Get to the ball and notice and opening if I aim WAY left of the hole. I'm about 155 yards away according to GPS. I grab an 8 iron and think, "OK, I need to really cut this thing, get past the trees enough for it to turn, get close to the green, chip and putt for par." Well, I hit the perfect shot. Skirted the last tree and soared left to right right towards the green. Plopped down 4 feet from the pin and stuck. I got a birdie, par on 18 and beat my old best score by one stroke. I never thought I could turn an 8 iron like that. I was so pumped I wanted to play again immediately.

48d3dd8e-6ce5-489f-9985-b7432819db71.jpg

Haven't read the whole thread so if this has been done please excuse.

The best shot I've ever hit is the one I imagine in my mind before actually hitting the shot. Oh well.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

4w off a downhill lie in some thick rough surrounding a waste bunker in a scramble at our club.....about 260 from the stick and slightly uphill on a tough par 5.

Nice smooth swing, pured it and from the moment I hit it, I knew it was good. Carried about 245 to the front edge and rolled another 3 or 4 yards. We lipped out the eagle putt, but tapped in for bird. The rest of the round was pretty forgettable, but we talked about that one for a while.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Callaway x20 7 iron 172 yards over the deep gully at Kaui lagoons right in the middle of the hole. My first and only but I flushed it and I knew but when I got to the green I never thought my ball was in the hole.

Should have bought those clubs or I need to play more rental clubs to get more hole in one's :)

I've had a hole in one and several hole outs from the fairway for eagles on par fours but the best one has to be the eagle 2 that I made on the first hole of my round on a beautiful spring day. A few buddies and I skipped a class in law school to play because it was too nice a day not to be playing golf. So worth it for a 15 handicap to be 2 under to start the day.

PING G400 MAX driver, 10.5*, Tour 65 shaft
PING K15 3 wood, TFC 149F shaft
PING G15 hybrid, 23*, TFC 149H shaft
PING G400 irons, 5-U, AWT 2.0 steel shafts
PING Eye 2 XG SW and LW, TFC 149I shaft
PING Zing 5 KS stainless steel putter

Here it goes..

Windy, rain, drivable par4.
Bought a new driver that morning, wanted to go for it.

Didn't exactly see the ball after 180 yards, didn't know where it ended up. Well in the hole is where it ended up!

So that. But my driving is really good now, I hit it long and find many a fairway :)

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

Drivable par 4, hit driver when I normally hit 3w, hit was poor and it pitched in front of the green and ended up 15 cm from the cup. Good thing I didn't flush the driver. Easiest eagle I've ever had.

Srixon Z545
Srixon F45
Adams Super Hybrid 20° (Tour issue)
Mizuno Mp-15 4-pw
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 RAW 52/56/60
Odyssey Versa O-Works 1W

First tee shot at Olympic Club. Many watching, money and prestige on the line. Drilled it.
Jack was breathing like a Zen Master that day.

Played 845s then and a TM Bubble shaft TM driver with Hogan wedges, Ping putter and Balata ball.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

me and a friend of mine were tied going into 15th hole. i ended up getting a triple because of a buried bunker lie. i was so pissed. with only 3 holes remaining i was trying to figure out how i can make up enough strokes to beat him. the 16th hole was a long par 4 of 448 yards. how is birdie possible on this hole? i hunkered down and put all my pissed off energy into the tee shot. i put everything i had into the swing and ending up with a 320 yard drive. with 128 yards remaining i needed to get into a 3 foot circle so i can have a kick in birdie. i stayed calm and reached for zen moment. i was in-between clubs of a hard baby draw PW or a cut 9. i went with a PW route and pure blissed one. i knew the shot was within a 7 foot circle while it was in the air. the ball landed with one bounce, hit the pin and went in. doesn't get any better! that rattled my friend so bad he ended up getting a double. made up all the stroke and then some on one hole! just amazing how if you put all your energy and focus on each shot can do for your golf game.

On a par 4 at South Shore in Las Vegas. Had a great drive and was only 112 yards out to the elevated green with a back pin placement. Hit a nice smooth PW up and onto the green. Once I got to the green I couldn't see my ball. After looking for several minutes and not finding anything I decided to look in the cup. To my surprise there it was. First and only ever eagle.

Member guest tournament, fresh out of college. Par 3 168 yards for a BMW Z4 Roadster sitting by the tee ($5 entry) with a hot chick watching the hole sitting in a cart. Hit 6 iron (which is a 7 now lol) because I am mortal compared to most of you guys landed 2 yards short hit flag stick fell down hits the side of cup and stopped 2 in from hole. Could have been life changing for a fresh college grad. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades though lol...

On the final day of a local city am tournament I played in over a year and a half ago, my best friend and I were playing in the same group and were tied for the tournament through 15 holes (we both were at and finished just a shade better than middle-of-the-pack). The 16th hole was a 430 yard par 4 that always plays dead into the teeth of the wind. My buddy hits driver right down the middle to give himself about 180 into the hole and I flared my drive way right under a tree. I got to the ball and had 194 yards to the flagstick, but had another tree overhanging about 30-40 yards in front of me and the pin in a back right location which was protected by a bunker in front. The branches of the tree my ball was under were low enough to where I had to flatten my backswing slightly but not to a ridiculous degree to where it would affect my shot-shaping.

So my caddie (another very good friend of mine) told me to punch something up to twenty or thirty yards in front of the green and just get up and down. The idiot that I am tells him, "Naw, I can knock this close. Gimme the three iron, I'll keep it under the branches and cut it around the tree to the hole," my rationale being that I'm not going to win the tournament anyway, so might as well see what I'm capable of. My buddy hands me my three iron, I set it up in the back of my stance with my feet a bit open to the target and let it go. Sure enough, the ball gets under the branches of the tree in front and starts cutting towards the flag, with my caddie letting out a "holy sh*t" mid-flight. The ball landed on the green, but we didn't know how close it was from our vantage point, but it ended up about seven or eight feet from the hole. My best buddy whom I was playing against was shaking his head and laughing after I hit the shot and my friend/caddie takes the club and says, "That's the greatest shot I've ever seen!" The idiot that I am lipped out the birdie putt, but my buddy unfortunately made bogey and I ended up getting him by one shot at the end of the tournament.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6-X
Nike VR Pro Ltd. 15* Diamana Blueboard 83x
Adams Idea Tour Prototype 18* Aldila NV 85 X
Srixon Z765 4-5 Z965 6-9 KBS C-Taper 120 S
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Raw 46* 50* 54* 58* DG S300
Compass Golf Co. PING ZING-style
TaylorMade TP5x

Par 5 540ish, snapped my drive in the lake that lines left side of hole. Took my drop, knocked it in from 290+ off the deck with driver. Landed 5 yards short of green and hops up hits the stick and falls in for eagle 3 with the penalty stroke. Callaway ERC driver. Loved that thing, was very easy to hit off the deck and i used it in scrambles all the time.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

511 yard par 5 I had 227 left, and my drive was a yard off the fairway, a little buried, but I went for it with a 3 wood, tap in Eagle, during league.

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

I guess this isn't necessarily the best shot(s) I've ever hit but due to the setting it's three that I'll remember forever. Anyways, I played the old course this past June and was lucky enough to get a 7:30am tee time with my Dad through the lottery on our first try. I wasn't playing great that day, I lost 4 balls because the normal rough was grown to knee deep fescue for a tournament a week after we played and I ended up +8 on the day. We stepped up to #17 (aka the road hole), I hadn't been hitting my driver well at all for the first 16 holes so I figured why not just try to pound it over the hotel? (Makes sense, right?) So, I absolute annihilate it, dead straight, right over the green building attached to the hotel, right down the middle. We got to everyone else's ball and I couldn't find mine right away, well it was about 120 yards past them, in the super narrow part of the fairway, only 95 yards away. My dad and the two others we were playing with were in shock how far I hit it, and I sort of was too. Everyone else missed the green on their approaches and I decided to go right at the pin with a baby 58* and landed it about 2 feet short of the pin and it released to about 10 feet past the pin. Mind you, this was one of the hardest pins I've ever seen, directly behind the road hole bunker with the landing area sloping towards the pin making it impossible to stop the ball with anything other than a wedge. It's about 11:30am by this time and theres about 30 people around the green watching groups play, and after the ball finished, people started clapping and it felt absolutely awesome. Then, to top it off, I drained the 10 foot birdie putt, on the 460 yard road hole! Funny thing was, a few behind the green said nice par because they figured there was no way I hit my drive so far but when I told them I made birdie they were basically in shock, because nobody birdies 17, especially with the pin they had the day we played. Anyways, my dad said that was the best birdie he's ever seen, and he's been golfing for 50+ years and I'll know I'll never forget playing that hole. It was truly an amazing experience.

Pictures (all taken on Sunday when the course is closed besides the one of me teeing off on 17, we played Monday morning)

Pin location on 17..

PkblpGo.jpg

View from tee box on 17..

8w2yQw8.jpg

Part of the hotel you hit over..

B0TFNaL.jpg

Me on 17 hitting my tee shot...

pj970sR.jpg

Taylormade SIM2 8° Fuji Pro 2.0 8
Titleist 910FD 13.5° D+Plus 80
Titleist 818H2 Tensei White
Mizuno MP-5 KBS C-Taper
SM6 52/08 & SM5 58/08

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Hard to pick the best but the 4 shots in my 20 years of golf that stand out.
1. Dogleg left par 4 with trees all down the left. Tried to play a draw but snap hooked it in to trees. I was sitting ~200yds from the green and had to hit about a 20-30yd low hook to get close to the green but anything left of the green was water. Hit a 4iron absolutely flush, hooked perfectly and landed 5 yards short of the green, rolled up to about 10 feet and of course missed the putt.
2. Same hole as before but hit a great drive that left me about 95yds out down the left side of the fairway. Approach shot was over water and hit a nice 2 or 3 yard draw with a sand wedge. I knew it was good the moment it left my club. It landed about 5 feet past the hole and spun back in for an eagle.
3. 340 yard par 4 with pretty much a 90 degree dogleg right, plays about 290 to the dogleg then the fairway slopes steep down to the green. I hit a perfect high fade that cut part of the corner and hit the downslope. I walked up to the green and the 2 guys in front of me were waiting. I got scared I'd hit in to them and started apologizing. They started laughing and said to look at the hole. My ball was sitting about 2 inches short of the hole. The guys said it was tracking straight in but just ran out of speed.
4. My birdie putt on 18 to break 70 for the first time. 10-15ft left to right downhiller. I was playing with my fiances brother and as we walked to the green he was "nice" enough to let me know if I made it I'd break 70. Hit the sweetest putt of my life right in the heart of the cup.