Best shot you have ever hit?

Idris789

Two in my mind.
One was recent. Pin at back of the green 227 from where I was (yardage makers and caddy confirmed it). Out of bounds fairly tight right. I hit a four iron thinking to carry it around 210 and let it roll out. I hit it perfectly, and it carried about 210, but unfortunately stopped within 2 or 3 yards. What made it such a good shot for me was that I had really been struggling with my long irons in the month leading up to that shot and had been practicing hard with them. So it was a feeling of all the practice saying off. Also, the caddy was pretty hot, and her reaction was an added bonus...

The other one was in my previous golfing life, in the season's final match for the city's junior league. Coming to the last hole I was one up and needed to win my match so that my club's junior team would win the league. The final hole is a par three. I hit to the back of the green, and the guy I was playing with is off the green. He chips close to a gimme. I need to get down in two to win. My first put is woefully short, leaving about a 10 foot putt to halve the hole, win the match and win the league. With our captain and other club members looking on, somehow I manage to ram the ball in the hole for the win. To this day, I still don't know how I made that putt, but that green has been good to me on a number of occasions.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unquestionably this past summer - me and two friends playing in Spain with rented Ping G20's - par 3, 215 yards uphill to a green which we couldn't see the back of and nothing but a cart path and a steep ravine between the tee box and the Green. My mate hit his ball to what we assumed was the front edge (it was hard to tell) and turned to me to say 'if you can get it inside that, it's a hole in one'. I absolutely creamed the rented 4h from the set and the ball never left the flag. It looked good and was definitely inside my mate's, but we couldn't see it as it was over the crest of the green. So off we walked. Unfortunately, it wasn't a hole in one, but I'd only left myself about 5 foot, just past the pin. Unusually for me, I made the birdie putt too! But so did my mate. Boo. In case your wondering, the third person in our round was still hacking away trying to get his sliced tee shot back up to somewhere near the green, bless him.

Rec league soccer, fall 1995. I was 12. Last game of the season, playing the best team in the league. They were undefeated, crushed everyone all year, including us once already. Somehow we kept the game at 1-1 this time. It's getting late, game time is about to expire, and we get a corner. I was the corner kid. Been working on my "banana kick" with my soccer pal at home. Step up, place the ball, step back, flush it. It's sailing right to left tracking towards the back corner of the goal. The goalie leaps to block it, but it brushes off his finger tips and goes in. We win 2-1. Best shot of my life.

Best golf shot though? Who knows. I hit a 341 yard 3i to center fairway once on a short downhill par 4. Left me about 40 yards in. Bogeyed I think.

Hammer 6.5*
GX7 12*
Warrior Golf 3-PW
Squarestrike UW
Alien 56*
Double Duty Putter

Mine might have been yesterday! Was playing a pretty tight match with my dad, brother, and uncle. Number 8 at the course we were playing is a long par 5 with a near impossible second shot if you are going for it in two. The green is WAY elevated on all sides, with hazards also on all sides. It barely makes sense to go for, since if you get it their, its really hard to hold it. I was 231 out, and played it as about 250. I hit my 5 wood on and to about 3 feet! I have never even kept one on this green before, so to do that was awesome, let alone hitting it so close. I then lipped the eagle putt out.......

• 3 weeks later...

Following a lovely ~30 yard heel hook monster on a shortish dogleg par 4, I decided to pull the 3 wood and go with a big fade over the corner. Ended up with a nice 4ft birdie put (which I actually made for a change!)

My good 2nd shots nearly always follow an awful drive, and my brilliant drives are normally followed by an awful 2nd shot :(

Hit a rather memorable one a week or so ago in my last round of the year. par 4 second hole. 390 yds. tried hitting 3w off the tee to give me a nice short iron in... cold topped it left me 242 front, 259 to the pin. hit 3w again. slight wind into and across and it never left the flag. landed 2 yds onto the green and held the green leaving me a 15' uphill birdie putt. fairly pleased with a 244yd carry 3w off the deck.

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

Haha love the stories

My shot definitely wasnt as great as some of yours but a few months back a course that had been closed for a couple of years reopened after a almost a complete remodel. We set a tee time for 7:20a opening Saturday and I wasnt really sure what to expect. Well it was packed. The way the layout is everyone waiting for their tee time has to stand very close to the 1st tee in a kind of bowl. This being the busiest time, on the busiest day, during a grand reopening the place was packed. There were so many people that they formed a semi circle around the tee. Every tee shot was seen and followed by oohs, aahhs and ewws. Let me say Im not a very experienced golfer. I usually shoot around 100. Closer to 90 on a really good day and lets not talk about the bad days. I am no stranger to the occasional shank, top or chunk. Im used to 1 or 2 guys in the group behind watching but no 50 people, so ya I was nervous. After watching a few guys do the walk of shame the starter yelled my last name (ya thats when it sets in). We stepped up and I was 4th to go. 2 of my 3 buddies were just off the green and 1 lost his tee shot. All I wanted to do was make solid contact. I had been working on my tempo all week so that was my swing thought. I wish I could say I holed it but I didnt. It did a short hop and sat about 5 ft from the hole. I got a few claps and a couple "nice shots" and thats it. Thats my best golf shot. Thanks for reading

2 shots come to mind

1. Last year I was having a pretty good round... Was -1 through 16. Hole 17 is a 525y par 5 and is tree lined on both sides. I got a little over-zealous on the tee shot and end up pull-hooking into the trees on the left... maybe went 200y. A bad punch shot left me in the trees still. Tried a miracle hook around a tree which did not work. The only real option on my 4th was to punch out to the fairway again, leaving me with about 150y. Hit a perfect 9i which took one little bounce and dropped. Best par of my life. Of course, I ended up doubling 18.

2. Had just come off a terrible double on the previous hole and had a 186y par 3 with water left and short. I hit this absolutely flush 6i which never left the flag. It hopped once and hit the flagstick on the way down... Tough to tell from where I was, but it sure looked like it dropped into the cup and bounced out. Left me a 2" putt for birdie.

WITB
D - Taylormade SIM 2, Kuro Kage 60x
5w - Taylormade SIM 2 Max, HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70g 6.5

4h - Taylormade SIM Max, Speeder Tour Spec 9.3x

2i - Callaway XForged UT, Recoil ES 780 F5

5i-PW - Mizuno 921 HMP, Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - Mizuno T20 49*, Taylormade TP EF 54*, Vokey 60* M Grind
Putter - Mizuno M-Craft V

Ball - Mizuno RB Tour X

par 3, 190ish right front pin placement guarded by bunker. 4i uphill into the bunker. Decent lie, high face lip, probably 8ft of green to work with, only the top half of the flag to aim at. I was paired up with a recent retiree 3some, all waiting for me to take my swing. I could also feel some wandering eyes from the group ahead of us on the near by tee. Took a decent stab at the ball enough to clear the face of the bunker. Honestly felt like it came out pretty hot and was expecting a long putt back. All i know for sure, the ball flew straight to the flag, and CLANK!! Those that saw my shot gave a big rawr. I was like, cool, i bounce off the flag. Never realized they kept yelling cuz it went in. Kicked the sand off my shoes coming out to walk around to find my ball disappeared into the hole. Define excited and sad at the same time. I didnt even get to see it. Got the praise and fist bumps and everyone giving a slow play-by-play of the slam dunk. That's great...wish i saw it. THEN, one of my playing partners pulled my ball out and handed me my birdie ball. Thanks, but could i at least have the enjoyment of pulling MY ball myself?!

i swear, some of the nice up-n-downs ive been so lucky to make i never get to see, and when i do...no one is there to witness.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing at Wolf Creek. Off the left side of the fairway with a tree in my line to the green. I had to hit a hard hook perfectly and I aimed maybe 30 yards right and hit a huge hook that ended up five feet away and I birdied the hole.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

My best shot happened playing my last round before moving down to Georgia at Broken Top Club in central Oregon this last September.

I had a middling round going, 4 over through 14. I wasn't striking the ball great all day, just kind of knocking it around. 15 is a par 5 with a long drop down to the fairway. I caught my drive thin it was a low screamer, still got out there pretty well because of the elevation though and luckily it stayed dead straight.

I get up to my ball and laser the flag at 213. A solid 4 iron for me is about 220 there (central Oregon is about 3000 feet in elevation), so I was kind of in between clubs. I decide to take the 4 and try to hit it a little higher to make it land soft. I absolutely flush it and it does not leave the stick. I was a little worried that it would end up over the green because I hit it so well. The guy I was playing with remarked, "Good looking shot there, maybe it will go in!" I replied, "That's the goal!"

The green was covered in dappled sunlight through the pine trees, so we weren't able to see it land. I walk up to the front of the green and notice a ball mark about 10 feet short of the pin, but no ball. I start to get excited and go to check the hole and there I see my Bridgestone looking back up at me! I give a whoop and a holler and let me buddy know I made it. First double eagle and at my favorite course in the area to boot!

I had a really cool one on the first hole of the first round of the club championship this fall.

trees left dog leg left 90 degrees.

I had nerves and hit it so far right that it was under a group of trees on an opposite hole.

Proceeded to punch a perfect 5 iron under every branch which ended up less than a foot from the hole for a tap in bird. I followed it up with a chip in on the second for birdie and started to imagine the press clippings and parade to follow on Monday hahah.

I ended up losing by one overall but hit some really good get out jail shots all weekend hahaha.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1. I was in my second year playing and I was on a downhill par 3 and it had just rained. I took a 7 or 8 iron from about 165, hit the shot and it landed 2 feet right, pin high and just stopped in the divot. closest shot to any pin I have hit with an iron that I can remember in the 12 years I have been playing.

2. Playing in a scramble and the very first hole we missed the green and had a little tricky sidehill lie and to give your self a chance you had to hit the ball to the top of this little hump, land it there and let it roll out to the hole. Just hit the shot to try and create a decent role and get close to the hole so that my teammates could go for it however they felt. Next thing I know, that ball drops to the bottom of the cup and we walk off of our first hole with a 3.

3. I was playing with a buddy for the first time and we were getting tired and I got lazy on my swing and ended up hitting the ball over the green and into the bunker on the back. I walk into the bunker, and I had about 25 yards with a whole lot of green to work with. Hit the shot, landed and released to the hole and went in, my buddy just laughed and shook his head.

The only reason that this is my best shot is because a newspaper photographer/sports writer was taking pics. The course basically just opened and he was there to do a story on the opening. It was cold with a 10-15 mi wind. An island green but only playing 130ish the day. Wind was swirling I was the last to hit. Everyone was trying to hit their normal club and stepping on it or easing the next club down. I took a 6iron beautiful knockdown 3ft for birdie. Not a hard shot but got my pic in the paper. :golfer:

I have two best shots that came to my mind. It's kinda a toss-up.

My first best shot I hit was about 7 years ago (can't believe it's that long ago already), it was a 490 yard par 5 with the wind at my back. Good tee shot, which led me to play a 6 iron on my 2nd shot. The shot felt, and my cousin said "that looked close," although it was hard to tell with a slight up hill false front green. Turns out my ball was about a foot from the hole and tapped in for my 1st ever eagle. The rest of the round was tough because I was only 15 years old and was playing like an idiot at the time hahaha.

My other best shot was 2 years ago at my club championship, and my last tournament I've played. I was also dealing with a severe concussion from unlucky freak accident at the time. This tourney was basically a race for 2nd because the winner was up by 5 shots, and I was in the last group. The 18th hole was a 440 yard downhill par 4, and my tee shot was my worst I've hit in the tourney, dead right into the 10th fairway next to the 18th hole. It was still "in a fairway," so I had a good lie. I decided to use 7 iron because it was my club of the day, and I had plenty of room to hit it over the trees, so I gave it a go. Hit it flush, saw the ball land on the green, so I knew I hit a good shot. Didn't know the ball stopped literally less than a foot from the pin. Tap in birdie, and took 2nd place.

The reason why I said it was a toss-up because one was my first eagle, and the other was for 2nd place.

Not quite as special as any of these "wow" stories but I had my first birdie in a high school match at my home course, second hole 180 par 3 just dropped an average tee shot to 10-15 feet and sunk a bender, later that round I made what had to have been a 30 foot putt from the collar on the neck between the green and the fairway. Another match I dropped a 180 yard shot to 3 feet and made the birdie, next hole is a 160 par 3 with a wide but short green, fairway on the left pin is far right and i am in the left fairway. Play a high flop and watch it roll all the way off the slope and in. It was ridiculous. One of my best putts was at the 11th of my home course which is a 3 tier green on a par 3. Of course I was 90 feet away in the bottom tier. Curve it all the way in. Great moment.

Ace-wise I've been within a foot several times. Maybe this summer will be the one?

First high school golf match ever about 3 weeks ago, Playing the local private school who's whole team shoots low 40s. My PB round is a smooth 49 :taunt: .

I started off Hot with 3 straight pars, up by three strokes heading to the 4th. Had to go first on the 4th, OB T Ball then hit my Provisional in the right rough (Still have the Newbie Slice from time to time) then over the green with a 6 iron then three putt for Double Par. So going into the 5th now down by one since Richie Rich birdied from the fringe. 178 Yard Par 3 so I pull out the 7, made great contact ball flight was perfect but landed about 12 yards short. (Should've used my 6 iron) So now I'm out, Richie is tending the flag, trusty 58* in hand... Took a deep breath then chipped on and the things takes off straight towards the hole and in. Richie pars and we go into the 6th tied. Ended up losing by 6 with a 51 and he shot a 45. Trust me, I know for some of you guys a 12 yard chip in inst that impressive, but I'm a 15 handicapper who at that time was hanging around with one of the best players in the region and that just makes it so much more special to me. Definitely My best golf shot and memory so far, cant wait to make some more. :golfer:

High School tournament at La Purisma. Shotgun start and my first hole is 17. 17 is also a closest to the pin hole. I was the first to tee off in our group, therefore the first person to hit a tee shot on that hole. The result was my first hole in one. On the closest to the pin marker I wrote B Helton and 0'0". Then I added a "Beat that boys" :headbanging:

My high school golf coach was a true gem. After hearing the story, he left the course and went to a local trophy place and got me a hole in one trophy out of his own pocket. I truly love that man, for many reasons more than just that. A great great person.

The best shot I ever hit was a shot I hit that my Dad called the greatest shot he ever hit.

We were playing our home course and on a par 5 I had about 220 yards to the pin and the pin was sitting on the back left portion of the green on a flat spot about ten feet in diameter. I hit a three iron that never left the flagstick and it hit about three inches from the hole hopped once and stopped dead about 9 inches past the hole. My dad was sitting in the cart and as it landed I looked at him and he took a drag of his cigarette, slowly exhaling and simply said "That is the best golf shot I have ever seen." My father was never one to hand out compliments and having him say that to me really meant something.

I have had two hole in ones and a double eagle but that is still the best golf shot I have ever hit.

WITB

Driver : Callaway Epic with HRZDUS T800 S flex
Fairway Wood : Callaway Epic w/ HRZDUS T800 S flex
Callaway GBB Heaven Wood w/ Kuro Kage 50 S flex (Shortened 1.5")
Hybrid : Ping G30 22 Degree with PING Tour 80 S flex
Irons : Callaway XR Pro 5-P w/ KBS Tour-V 90 S
Wedges : Callaway MD3 (50 & 54) w/ DG TI S400
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60) Black
All Clubs with Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize
Putter : PING Sigma G Tess or Texas Wedge #20
Ball - Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

Ball on back of green Green slopes back to front and very fast.. If you are above the hole putts can roll off the front. I was in the rough fairly heavy 2 feet from the apron. I opened my 60 degree and hit a flop very hard 3 inches behind ball. Ball popped in the air, traveled 1 1/2 feet., trundled through the rough.. trickled on the apron and slowly rolled 20 feet to the pin. It didnt go in but stopped within 3 feet which I thought was not possible.

Bet my buddy a beer I could make the crane on the other side of the pond fly away by hitting a range ball at it. (Tin cup style) Bird was probably 170 yards away. Just before it hit my buddy goes "and if you hit the bird I'll give you $100". Hit a punch 4 iron and hit that bird square in the tail feathers. Kind of felt bad for the bird but he was fine. My buddy goes "dang. Nice shot. I lied about the $100. But I will buy you a beer"

Bet my buddy a beer I could make the crane on the other side of the pond fly away by hitting a range ball at it. (Tin cup style) Bird was probably 170 yards away. Just before it hit my buddy goes "and if you hit the bird I'll give you $100". Hit a punch 4 iron and hit that bird square in the tail feathers. Kind of felt bad for the bird but he was fine. My buddy goes "dang. Nice shot. I lied about the $100. But I will buy you a beer"

Love it. We sometimes finish our rounds a bit early and have a couple of 7iron only holes. Oh and I hit no good shots so I have nothing to contribute to the topic itself

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 14.5
Callaway Apex MB 2-PW
Titleist SM7 52, SM5 58
Taylormade Spider Tour