2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

True Temper's new "AMT" Dynamic Gold iron shafts

pga43

Sorry KD, I must have mis-read your post. But given that the difference between S400's and S300's is weight not flex, the concept of variable weight through the set may work out for some of us looking for the best of both worlds. I too am an S300 fan, S400's just feel to heavy in the mid and long irons to me. I am looking forward to the release of these for sure.

This sounds really interesting...

As someone in the market for new irons right now I've been hitting a bunch of different clubs and shafts from DG S300, PX 5.5, C-taper Lites, KBS Tour S, and CFS S in i25, AP2, and 850 Forged heads.

I was fighting the S300 in the 6 iron range but the AP2 PW with the S300 felt bomb. I really wish this would come to market this year, sounds like it would be a perfect update to the DG S300 range.

🏌️‍♂️ | Callaway Epic Max LS | Cobra Speedzone 5 Wood | Titleist TSI3 3H | Cobra Forged Tec | Cobra MIM Black | EVNROLL ER2B | Titleist Pro V1x | 🏌️‍♂️

[quote name='B.Boston' timestamp='1424293207' post='10980079']This sounds really interesting...

As someone in the market for new irons right now I've been hitting a bunch of different clubs and shafts from DG S300, PX 5.5, C-taper Lites, KBS Tour S, and CFS S in i25, AP2, and 850 Forged heads.

I was fighting the S300 in the 6 iron range but the AP2 PW with the S300 felt bomb. I really wish this would come to market this year, sounds like it would be a perfect update to the DG S300 range.[/quote]

Exactly what you're saying here is the reason why Swing weight matching should be ditched by most in favour of MOI matching. You shouldn't have to "fight" with any club in the bag. At least now with a product like this if you're set is SW matched you'll get a set that is close to MOI matched as well by default.

It's exciting to see so much development in steel shafts and the availability of ascending weight shafts from Aerotech, UST, Nippon and now in the iconic DG product range very exciting.

[quote name='appilags' timestamp='1424307484' post='10981665'][quote name='B.Boston' timestamp='1424293207' post='10980079']This sounds really interesting...

I was fighting the S300 in the 6 iron range but the AP2 PW with the S300 felt bomb. I really wish this would come to market this year, sounds like it would be a perfect update to the DG S300 range.[/quote]

Exactly what you're saying here is the reason why Swing weight matching should be ditched by most in favour of MOI matching. You shouldn't have to "fight" with any club in the bag. At least now with a product like this if you're set is SW matched you'll get a set that is close to MOI matched as well by default.

It's exciting to see so much development in steel shafts and the availability of ascending weight shafts from Aerotech, UST, Nippon and now in the iconic DG product range very exciting.[/quote]

What does MOI matching do for a set of irons?

Seems like it would be increasing swing weight throughout the set?

🏌️‍♂️ | Callaway Epic Max LS | Cobra Speedzone 5 Wood | Titleist TSI3 3H | Cobra Forged Tec | Cobra MIM Black | EVNROLL ER2B | Titleist Pro V1x | 🏌️‍♂️

Can't wait to try these shafts out if they come to retail. I have always been between S400 and X100. These might be the ticket! Hopefully they will be an option in the Titleist 716 irons!

Epic Subzero 9* Tour AD-DI 7x
M2 16.5* Diamana 102 S+ X 1/2" short
Apex Hybrid 20* AD-DI 95X 2* Flat 1" short
Apex Pro 4-9 Project X 6.5 2* Flat
MD Forged 47, 52, 57, 62PM Project X LZ 6.0 2* Flat
Odyssey O-Works 3T

Ball & Glove: Srixon Z Star XV & Srixon Cabretta Leather

There's a lot of information about MOI matching in various forums here and elsewhere on the www that will explain it better than me. But basically SW is a static measurement (first moment) taken about a somewhat arbitrary point on the club (14 inches from the butt). MOI measures a club's resistance to rotation (second moment) about the butt end.

As someone who has Tour Issue s400's in the bag now, this product and technology is intriguing to me. Hopefully these won't be an arm & a leg. I only need them for 6 irons anyways.

D - Ping G430 LST 9, PX LE HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 6.5TX
3W - Ping G410 14.5 (set to 15.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5TX

7W - Ping G410 20.5 (set to 19.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 80 6.5TX

4H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to C1), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
GW, SW, LW - Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), 60L, DG TI S400/S200

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

[quote name='Breezy-3-' timestamp='1424276361' post='10978085']
Sorry KD, I must have mis-read your post. But given that the difference between S400's and S300's is weight not flex, the concept of variable weight through the set may work out for some of us looking for the best of both worlds. I too am an S300 fan, S400's just feel to heavy in the mid and long irons to me. I am looking forward to the release of these for sure.
[/quote]

S300 is 5.8 FCM
S400 is 6.1 FCM

Flex is a tad stiffer with s400 but not sure who can notice that small ammount.

Different sorting and new label is all I see here. Too bad they have to muck around with a tried and true offering.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

So from constant weight to ascending weight at each length. Tour issue sets are made to be perfectly the same at . 5" increments after cutting.

So these should remain 3 grams different at each cut shaft length? im thinking that's the point. Same head weights or different is the question.

Driver: Titleist 915D3
4W: Wishon 949MC
2I: Wishon 59DHY
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour (4-PW)
Wedges: 51 SM6 / 55 (J40) / 60 SM6
Putter: Rotating

[quote name='kchase' timestamp='1424384087' post='10987363']
So from constant weight to ascending weight at each length. Tour issue sets are made to be perfectly the same at . 5" increments after cutting.

So these should remain 3 grams different at each cut shaft length? im thinking that's the point. Same head weights or different is the question.
[/quote]

These are designed to swing weight the same as standard DG shafts (X100, S300, etc).

Maybe this whole discussion is out of my pay grade, but I'm reading a lot of phrases here that walk, swim, and quack like snake oil.

What I have gathered by reading this and the WRX article:
1. TT is saying that this is in no way a flighted set.
2. The idea is that the long irons will launch higher and spin more than a normal DG set, but the shorter clubs will perform the same.
3. Did I just define a flighted set?
4. Can someone please explain this to me like I'm a really smart 12 year old?

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='zakkozuchowski' timestamp='1424387250' post='10987673'][quote name='kchase' timestamp='1424384087' post='10987363']

[/quote]

These are designed to swing weight the same as standard DG shafts (X100, S300, etc).[/quote]

With different balance points or head weight manipulation?

If I'm thinking correctly then a set of MOI matched irons with ascending weight shafts would by definition have closer swing weights than a set with either descending weight or constant weight shafts.

It will be interesting to see how the best players in the world react to this.

Driver: Titleist 915D3
4W: Wishon 949MC
2I: Wishon 59DHY
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour (4-PW)
Wedges: 51 SM6 / 55 (J40) / 60 SM6
Putter: Rotating

Hey all, thanks for the interest in the new Dynamic Gold AMT. You know the world moves fast when I show the shafts to Greg for a pic and within hours our sales guys are getting phone calls about the shafts. Here's is some information about the shafts as well as some answers to your questions.

Dynamic Gold AMT is our newest Tour Shaft. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. The shaft weights increase as you move from the 3 iron to the PW, from 109 grams to 130 grams in X100. Using our variable wall technology we are able to maintain traditional swingweights throughout the set. The lighter shaft weights will allow the player to produce higher ball speeds with the lower lofted irons than with traditional constant weight sets

The long irons will spin slightly more than Dynamic Gold for increased carry and softer landings. As you progress to the wedge, launch and spin progressively start to mirror Dynamic Gold. The PW shaft is the Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft, because when you have best wedge shaft in golf why change it?

Answering some questions from the further up in the post.[list]
[*]Dynamic Gold AMT is not a flighted set. The longer irons will spin a little more than Dynamic Gold but throughout the set the launch conditions would all be characterized as low launch for the better player.
[*]We have made several iron sets in the past that featured ascending weights through the set but none that feature the drastic weight progression and the better players launch characteristics featured in Dynamic Gold AMT.
[*]Retail availability is still to be determined.
[/list]

I hope that helps clear up some of the questions/confusion.

Don

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1424391568' post='10988093']
Hey all, thanks for the interest in the new Dynamic Gold AMT. You know the world moves fast when I show the shafts to Greg for a pic and within hours our sales guys are getting phone calls about the shafts. Here's is some information about the shafts as well as some answers to your questions.

Dynamic Gold AMT is our newest Tour Shaft. AMT stands for Ascending Mass Technology. The shaft weights increase as you move from the 3 iron to the PW, from 109 grams to 130 grams in X100. Using our variable wall technology we are able to maintain traditional swingweights throughout the set. The lighter shaft weights will allow the player to produce higher ball speeds with the lower lofted irons than with traditional constant weight sets

The long irons will spin slightly more than Dynamic Gold for increased carry and softer landings. As you progress to the wedge, launch and spin progressively start to mirror Dynamic Gold. The PW shaft is the Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft, because when you have best wedge shaft in golf why change it?

[*]Dynamic Gold AMT is not a flighted set. The longer irons will spin a little more than Dynamic Gold but throughout the set the launch conditions would all be characterized as low launch for the better player.
[*]We have made several iron sets in the past that featured ascending weights through the set but none that feature the drastic weight progression and the better players launch characteristics featured in Dynamic Gold AMT.
[/list]

Don
[/quote]

Don thanks for sharing the access, and for your info. I have to tell you; I think buying golf equipment sight-unseen is ridiculous. But I cannot think of a good reason why I wouldn't buy a set of these, sight unseen. It is the exact product I have been thinking about, for the past 4-5 years.

You might be interested to know, that I play an all-True Temper bag of golf clubs. DGSL X100 driver. DGLite X100 3W and 5W. DGLite S300 irons. DG S200 wedges.

I. Cannot. Wait. For. This. Product.

Thanks for clarifying and addressing all the questions, Don. Any takers yet this week, or is it still in the testing stages? For the players, that is.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='sevenputts' timestamp='1424387714' post='10987721']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1424381976' post='10987157']
Different sorting and new label is all I see here. Too bad they have to muck around with a tried and true offering.
[/quote] They won't get rid of your dynamic gold..
[/quote]

Yes, because I was worried they would get rid of the number one shaft on the PGA Tour...

:russian_roulette:

Titleist ProV1x

I wonder if this is a product that has such great utility for Tour players.

Not that it won't be a great product; I think it will! But as I watch elite players, I just marvel at their ability to hit their wedges low, and their long irons high. It's what I dream of. I wouldn't even mind shooting 80, if I could flight the ball like the tour players and top ams do. They can do that, with a set of ten-year-old DG X100's. I need just a bit of help. I need these shafts.

I would love to get Tom Wishon's take on this product.

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1424398222' post='10988769']
[/quote]

Yes, because I was worried they would get rid of the number one shaft on the PGA Tour...

[/quote] Then don't worry about any mucking around...

[quote name='carrier street' timestamp='1424389002' post='10987845']Maybe this whole discussion is out of my pay grade, but I'm reading a lot of phrases here that walk, swim, and quack like snake oil.

2. The idea is that the long irons will launch higher and spin more than a normal DG set, but the shorter clubs will perform the same.
4. Can someone please explain this to me like I'm a really smart 12 year old?[/quote]

Flighted sets have a progressive kick point. The AMT does not.

The launch will not be higher in the longer irons, just a slight bit more spin, which in turn adds to a higher ball flight through lift, not launch.

I feel as though this will be like having a set of DG in S200, S300, and S400 throughout your set, yet to a slightly more exaggerated degree. With the control of wall thickness they can vary the weight difference greater yet retain the same shaft profile.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

This sounds like a product that I could really use. I've always loved the performance of DG shafts in lower irons but the weight seemed a bit much in the longer and flighted shafts don't work well for me.

Could be my new iron shaft.

Release please!!!

Just saw 2016.... Sad face.

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

[quote name='sevenputts' timestamp='1424419268' post='10990111']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1424398222' post='10988769']
[/quote]

[/quote] Then don't worry about any mucking around...
[/quote]

I typically only "worry" about things that are my business. Pity you don't aspire to the same.

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1424391568' post='10988093']

[/list]

Don
[/quote]

Thanks for chiming in and clearing up most of our questions.

I very interested in these for sure. Sounds like a good setup especially with how the new balls and strong lofted irons make hitting anything above a 4 iron difficult for me.

How will these swingweight compared to regular dynamic gold from short to long irons?

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1424450597' post='10991809']
[quote name='carrier street' timestamp='1424389002' post='10987845']Maybe this whole discussion is out of my pay grade, but I'm reading a lot of phrases here that walk, swim, and quack like snake oil.

4. Can someone please explain this to me like I'm a really smart 12 year old?[/quote]

The launch will not be higher in the longer irons, just a slight bit more spin, which in turn adds to a higher ball flight through lift, not launch.

I feel as though this will be like having a set of DG in S200, S300, and S400 throughout your set, yet to a slightly more exaggerated degree. With the control of wall thickness they can vary the weight difference greater yet retain the same shaft profile.
[/quote]

Thank you. Now I understand. And please, I swear I'm not trying to troll this thread, but isn't that splitting hairs for the definition of "flighted"? Whether you use lift or launch, aren't you ultimately ending up at the same place of "help getting the ball in the air with the longer clubs while controlling the trajectory of the shorter clubs"? Or am I an idiot? There's a strong possibility that I'm an idiot.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='carrier street' timestamp='1424465863' post='10993625']
[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1424450597' post='10991809']

[/quote]

Thank you. Now I understand. And please, I swear I'm not trying to troll this thread, but isn't that splitting hairs for the definition of "flighted"? Whether you use lift or launch, aren't you ultimately ending up at the same place of "help getting the ball in the air with the longer clubs while controlling the trajectory of the shorter clubs"? Or am I an idiot? There's a strong possibility that I'm an idiot.
[/quote]

When we call a shaft flighted we consider that shaft set to have a wide range of launch conditions through the set, like DG Pro (high in the long irons, mid in mid irons, low in the short irons). Dynamic Gold AMT will have a slightly higher peak trajectory than Dynamic Gold in the long irons but not so different as to consider it a flighted set.

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p