2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

True Temper's new "AMT" Dynamic Gold iron shafts

pga43

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1427122641' post='11196777']
[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427120547' post='11196495']
Hi everyone.

Appreciate the discussion on the new Dynamic Gold AMT. Figured I would jump in and give you all a quick update on everyone that's currently put it into play since we introduced at Honda four weeks ago...

Chris Kirk - Honda
David Toms - Honda
Jim Renner - Honda
Scott Piercy (3/4 irons) - Honda
Woody Austin - Valspar
Matt Every - Bay Hill
Brian Davis - Bay Hill

Lot of excitement! We'll keep you all posted as we have more to share. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions. All the best.

Chad Hall
VP Global Golf
True Temper Sports
[/quote]
Release date? And what shaft flexes will be available?
[/quote]
No release date defined yet...most likely 2016. Continuing to drive visibility on tour for now. Flexes will be R300, S300, X100. Tour Issue versions of S400 and X100.

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1427065989' post='11193397']Well Every just took these to the house, not bad Matt.[/quote]

I thought only amateurs would benefit from them. :lol:

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Chad, while you have a low post count, I'd imagine you've been keeping your eyes on the site for a while. While most here do appreciate a "release date", many guys on here have access to tour issue "outlets". Is there only minimal exposure going on (i.e. not having these in many players hands) or is there not a lot of guys willing to make the switch yet?

D - Ping G430 LST 9, PX LE HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 6.5TX
3W - Ping G410 14.5 (set to 15.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5TX

7W - Ping G410 20.5 (set to 19.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 80 6.5TX

4H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to C1), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
GW, SW, LW - Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), 60L, DG TI S400/S200

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

[quote name='Chilli9880' timestamp='1427161986' post='11202057']
Chad, while you have a low post count, I'd imagine you've been keeping your eyes on the site for a while. While most here do appreciate a "release date", many guys on here have access to tour issue "outlets". Is there only minimal exposure going on (i.e. not having these in many players hands) or is there not a lot of guys willing to make the switch yet?
[/quote]

Hi there. I have posted through our corporate account many times...figured it was time to get a personal account so I could interact more personally with the Golfwrx community.

As for the current exposure, iron shafts typically take quite a bit longer than driver shaft changes so we're very pleased with the results. We've also had limited availability of the shaft so we're being very deliberate and targeted in our player sampling. In fact, it looks like there will be at least one top player making the move this week in San Antonio...will confirm when Darrell Survey comes out Thursday PM. Combine all that with a win after only 4 weeks of introduction...that's a pretty good start...I've been with True Temper for 14 years and I'm almost certain it's never happened in my time with the company.

Thanks for your question.

Chad

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1424368428' post='10985751']
[quote name='B.Boston' timestamp='1424309432' post='10981887']
[quote name='appilags' timestamp='1424307484' post='10981665'][quote name='B.Boston' timestamp='1424293207' post='10980079']This sounds really interesting...

As someone in the market for new irons right now I've been hitting a bunch of different clubs and shafts from DG S300, PX 5.5, C-taper Lites, KBS Tour S, and CFS S in i25, AP2, and 850 Forged heads.

I was fighting the S300 in the 6 iron range but the AP2 PW with the S300 felt bomb. I really wish this would come to market this year, sounds like it would be a perfect update to the DG S300 range.[/quote]

Exactly what you're saying here is the reason why Swing weight matching should be ditched by most in favour of MOI matching. You shouldn't have to "fight" with any club in the bag. At least now with a product like this if you're set is SW matched you'll get a set that is close to MOI matched as well by default.

It's exciting to see so much development in steel shafts and the availability of ascending weight shafts from Aerotech, UST, Nippon and now in the iconic DG product range very exciting.[/quote]

What does MOI matching do for a set of irons?

[b]Seems like it would be increasing swing weight throughout the set?[/b]
[/quote]

Or decreasing SW as the clubs get longer.
[/quote]that's exactly what I do with my sets.....I decrease sw as irons go from short, mid to long.... i am sure it's not MOI but it feels alot better.....this, after numerous trials and errors.....my long irons are about 1 to 1.5 pts lighter than short irons...I decrease it about 2/10 for every club....have a digital scale so it's easy......it does feel alot better than off the rack( which sw was all over the place anyway)....or just going from from d2 in short to d1 in long.....it's a more consistent decrease as irons get longer......iron play is a strength so for me very important to get weights, lofts, and lie spot on....and they are not from factory to those who just play em as they come......not one set has ever been spec'd properly from factory...and I custom order too most of the time....always get em checked.....never just play em right out of the box....

Most would be surprised if they ever had the irons they ordered checked.....lie and lofts are all over the map.....

After tinkering for over 4 yrs I have come to conclusion that weight of the shaft is vital.....shaft weight and swingweight in relation is by far so so critical......115-120gr is ideal for me.....it took me along time to figure this out.....the weight is so critical...

[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427430321' post='11225485']
Hi everyone. Wanted to let you know that both Jimmy Walker and Davis Love III put AMT in play this week at Valero...many others testing.
[/quote]

Nice, I have s400 tour-issue in my wedge shafts. They are great.

Does the AMT have the same characteristics or something new all together?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Hi everyone. Wanted to let you know that both Jimmy Walker and Davis Love III put AMT in play this week at Valero...many others testing.
[/quote]

That's awesome to hear Chad. I can't help but think these are going to be the hottest shaft in irons in the coming months/years.

D - Ping G430 LST 9, PX LE HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 6.5TX
3W - Ping G410 14.5 (set to 15.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5TX

7W - Ping G410 20.5 (set to 19.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 80 6.5TX

4H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to C1), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
GW, SW, LW - Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), 60L, DG TI S400/S200

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427430321' post='11225485']Hi everyone. Wanted to let you know that both Jimmy Walker and Davis Love III put AMT in play this week at Valero...many others testing.[/quote]

That's quite a few adopting them early! They must play and feel close to DG but with the AMT advantages. Surprised to hear these too because they hit their long irons so well, you'd think there was no need to tinker. They must be better!

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1427431274' post='11225553']
[/quote]

Nice, I have s400 tour-issue in my wedge shafts. They are great.

Does the AMT have the same characteristics or something new all together?
[/quote]

AMT is Dynamic Gold profile all the way through the set...stiff tip design to promote that classic Dynamic Gold ball flight. The major performance benefit is found in the 3 gram weight progression per shaft from long irons to short irons. That results in a sub 110-gram 3-iron that gets heavier until you get to a 130 gram Dynamic Gold PW. What players are seeing is that they can more easily get the long irons in the air. Again, not because the shaft is designed with a softer tip section, but because the weight advantage produces greater speed and lift. Given that iron shaft switches typically take a little bit longer to happen, we couldn't bemore pleased with the results in such a short window since introduction. Thanks for your interest.

[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1427486377' post='11229427']
These sound awesome. I have been playing DG my entire life and don't want to change, but I do sometimes wish for a bit lighter 3 and 4 iron shaft, especially when I need to step on one a little bit.

Thank you for your responses and for keeping your finger on the WRX community, Chad!
[/quote]

Thanks Ben. Appreciate you guys.

Thanks for the reply, Chad.

Sounds great! I play nothing but True Temper/Project X iron shafts.

Hands down, best iron shafts ever.

The AMT sounds like a hit!

Hi everyone.

Appreciate the discussion on the new Dynamic Gold AMT. Figured I would jump in and give you all a quick update on everyone that's currently put it into play since we introduced at Honda four weeks ago...

Chris Kirk - Honda
David Toms - Honda
Jim Renner - Honda
Woody Austin - Valspar
Matt Every - Bay Hill
Brian Davis - Bay Hill

Lot of excitement! We'll keep you all posted as we have more to share. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions. All the best.

Chad Hall
VP Global Golf
True Temper Sports
[/quote]

Hey Chad,

Great to see you on here. I know the guys appreciate input direct for the source. Also, I owe you an email and will reach out this upcoming week.

Congrats on the DG AMT shaft launch and all TTS' success.

Cardosi

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Hi everyone.

Chris Kirk - Honda
David Toms - Honda
Jim Renner - Honda
Woody Austin - Valspar
Matt Every - Bay Hill
Brian Davis - Bay Hill

Chad Hall
VP Global Golf
True Temper Sports
[/quote]

So how will the decrease weight in the long iron shafts affect swingweight? Will it be more difficult to get a consistent swingweight across the set?

I hope we don't have to wait until 2016 for these. These are exactly what I'm looking for in an iron shaft and it sounds like im not the only one.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

[quote name='DuckHook02' timestamp='1427595309' post='11237601']
Hi everyone.

Chris Kirk - Honda
David Toms - Honda
Jim Renner - Honda
Woody Austin - Valspar
Matt Every - Bay Hill
Brian Davis - Bay Hill

Chad Hall
VP Global Golf
True Temper Sports
[/quote]

So how will the decrease weight in the long iron shafts affect swingweight? Will it be more difficult to get a consistent swingweight across the set?
[/quote]

Good question. There are no SW issues even with the weight change. Our ability to control the internal wall thickness through our VWT (variable wall technology) allows us to deliver the performance benefits without any negative impact to finished club swingweight.

#repost of our own photo because in case you forgot, this guy is dominating! Dynamic Gold AMT leads by 4 heading into the final round at the Valero Texas Openand after last week's AMT victory, we are looking for another. | #WinnersPlayTrueTemper

11115610_10152812037071270_6009880922494336384_n.jpg?oh=5a655c8f992980acde40415e2cb54f8e&oe=55ACE289

[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427654112' post='11240339'][quote name='DuckHook02' timestamp='1427595309' post='11237601']
Hi everyone.

Chris Kirk - Honda
David Toms - Honda
Jim Renner - Honda
Woody Austin - Valspar
Matt Every - Bay Hill
Brian Davis - Bay Hill

Chad Hall
VP Global Golf
True Temper Sports
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good question. There are no SW issues even with the weight change. Our ability to control the internal wall thickness through our VWT (variable wall technology) allows us to deliver the performance benefits without any negative impact to finished club swingweight.[/quote]

Same VWT that's on the Dynamic Gold Pro?

I had those stock when I has my VR forged irons.

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1427654780' post='11240389']
[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427654112' post='11240339'][quote name='DuckHook02' timestamp='1427595309' post='11237601']
Hi everyone.

Chris Kirk - Honda
David Toms - Honda
Jim Renner - Honda
Woody Austin - Valspar
Matt Every - Bay Hill
Brian Davis - Bay Hill

Chad Hall
VP Global Golf
True Temper Sports
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good question. There are no SW issues even with the weight change. Our ability to control the internal wall thickness through our VWT (variable wall technology) allows us to deliver the performance benefits without any negative impact to finished club swingweight.[/quote]

Same VWT that's on the Dynamic Gold Pro?

I had those stock when I has my VR forged irons.
[/quote]

VMT is found in all of our tour shafts. We can modify the technology within each design to specifically dial in the performance characteristics that we're trying to achieve. Thanks for asking.