2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

True Temper's new "AMT" Dynamic Gold iron shafts

pga43

[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1430359216' post='11469931']
The thing we are most excited about is the adoption of the shaft by players using competitive product. Toms, Renner, Austin, DL III, Every, Wagner, jj Henry, Weekley and Scott were all playing various competitive shafts...7 were Nippon, one graphite and one KB. We were also thrilled to get Mahan back this week...switched to PXi. Appreciate everyone's interest. We'll keep you guys updated as we have more to share.
[/quote]

Interesting. Can you talk about Mahan's switch to PXi and why he switched out of Nippon? Also interesting that many of the guys were former DG players that switched away and now came back with AMT.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1430360333' post='11470009']
The thing we are most excited about is the adoption of the shaft by players using competitive product. Toms, Renner, Austin, DL III, Every, Wagner, jj Henry, Weekley and Scott were all playing various competitive shafts...7 were Nippon, one graphite and one KB. We were also thrilled to get Mahan back this week...switched to PXi. Appreciate everyone's interest. We'll keep you guys updated as we have more to share.
[/quote]

Interesting. Can you talk about Mahan's switch to PXi and why he switched out of Nippon? Also interesting that many of the guys were former DG players that switched away and now came back with AMT.
[/quote]

You should go to David Dusek tour trailer podcast he talks with the ping rep about building the irons and what Hunter was looking for.

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1430360333' post='11470009']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I really don't have much info on Mahan's switch...found out late last night. He played well today so appears to be working for him.

Great question about DG. First off, let me say there is a lot of good product available to these guys. Many will try something new if they've been struggling for a while. Probably most of the guys that aren't playing True Temper have played DG at some point in their career...just because of its broad appeal for so long. So when a player comes back to our brand it's really for no other reason than the particular shaft they have tested is giving them the performance they're seeking at that time (whether DG, Project X, XP or AMT).

I feel like our product line is as solid and diverse as it's ever been in my 14 yes at the company. We've also got a great team representing us on tour...they're doing a phenomenal job targeting players weekly. And trust me when I tell you we're going to continue to bring some cool innovation in the coming months and years...the product pipeline is very exciting!

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1430355548' post='11469533']
[quote name='Birdie Wooster' timestamp='1430344178' post='11468341']
This has got to be the quickest something new has spread widely on tour since the Pro V1. Put me down for a set s400, please!
[/quote]

There's a lot of stuff that takes the tour by storm. Recently SLDR, RBZ fairways, Rogue, KuroKage XT, Fuji Speeder Pro to name a few. Also, would they make an S400 equivalent? or just S300's? If the goal is to vary weight wouldn't it really just be R, S, X and you could pick your starting point and your ending point you wanted for weight? ie, if you want S400, just hardstep the S300 version so your shafts are heavier essentially arriving at what would be an S400.
[/quote]

You're right Mark. I would only add that we have to take the context into account: a lot of the players who switched to the SLDR were coming from a previous Taylormade driver (of course, many were contractually precluded from switching to the SLDR, so who knows what would have happened if everyone could play whatever they wanted). And it seems like there is a hot driver shaft or two every year. But for so many players to switch iron shafts means they are really on to something, those guys don't tinker with that nearly as often. The design makes sense on paper and apparently it works on the course. ADAM SCOTT switched?! TT should send TW a set to try out, lol. I predict that KBS and Nippon will develop similar shafts and ascending weight sets will have >75% market share on tour within three years.

I love the excitement this shaft is generating! This shaft reminds me of the original RIFLE shaft. I recall the Rifle shafts were also variable weight (I believe the long irons started around 114gr for 6.0 and progressively went up to the high 120's for the wedge). When the original Project X came out, it was a shaft that Rifle created to have a constant weight shaft. I'm sure with the new manufacturing processes the AMT will be a more consistent shaft than the original Rifles, but many still love that shaft. I believe Camilo still uses it.

Also, I too am curious about the balance points of the shafts to maintain swing weight. If the longer shafts are lighter, won't the balance point be lower to maintain SW thus changing the 'swing feel' of each club?

[quote name='scottygolfer' timestamp='1430490908' post='11479273']
I love the excitement this shaft is generating! This shaft reminds me of the original RIFLE shaft. I recall the Rifle shafts were also variable weight (I believe the long irons started around 114gr for 6.0 and progressively went up to the high 120's for the wedge). When the original Project X came out, it was a shaft that Rifle created to have a constant weight shaft. I'm sure with the new manufacturing processes the AMT will be a more consistent shaft than the original Rifles, but many still love that shaft. I believe Camilo still uses it.

Also, I too am curious about the balance points of the shafts to maintain swing weight. If the longer shafts are lighter, won't the balance point be lower to maintain SW thus changing the 'swing feel' of each club?
[/quote]

Swingweight has been answered previously in this thread. In short, no impact on swingweight as the balance point is maintained through a constant weight reduction throughout the entire shaft.

[quote name='DuckHook02' timestamp='1430492460' post='11479447']
[quote name='scottygolfer' timestamp='1430490908' post='11479273']

[/quote]

Swingweight has been answered previously in this thread. In short, no impact on swingweight as the balance point is maintained through a constant weight reduction throughout the entire shaft.
[/quote]

I believe Rifles are actually the opposite, they get lighter as they get shorter, descending weight shafts.

Any update on the release date? So far the latest was 2016, but with Titleist 716's coming in November 2015 and Others out in February 2016 I was hoping for a November release so those getting the 716 irons could get them installed.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

[quote name='paul1406' timestamp='1430891032' post='11508129']Any update on the release date? So far the latest was 2016, but with Titleist 716's coming in November 2015 and Others out in February 2016 I was hoping for a November release so those getting the 716 irons could get them installed.[/quote]

I actually am in the exact same boat as you! I will patiently wait to order my 716 AP2s with the TI S400. The only reason why I pulled them in my 714s for the KBS was because my long irons were coming in too low...

I've read that Adam Scott has been testing these, as well as pulling his 712u for an AP2. Would seem likely he will have the AMT's in the new 716 MB's, as he is also testing those according to the latest info.

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ
SM9 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1430335540' post='11467363']
[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1430332640' post='11467015']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1430332001' post='11466945']
[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1430307835' post='11464163']
And now Adam Scott installed the AMT for this weeks match play per GC.
[/quote]

Wow, that would be big as he's been playing KBS for awhile now.
[/quote]
I can't find anything on GC website about what I heard on the TV.....so need to validate this.
[/quote]

Hi everyone. I can confirm the information on Scott is accurate.

[attachment=2735689:A Scott.PNG]
[/quote]

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

Maybe I missed it but I'd really like a technical explanation of how the swingweight is maintained given a weight difference in the shaft when compared to regular DG shafts.

I don't doubt this claim, I just would like more info on how this is possible with VWT and balance points. I'm assuming the lighter the shaft the more weight is distributed towards the head side?

910D3 8.5* UST V2 X
906F2 15* UST V2 X
735.CM DG X100 2-PW
Vokey 52, 58
Customs (Tad Moore, Byron, Slighter)

[quote name='jchastain' timestamp='1430958959' post='11513427']Maybe I missed it but I'd really like a technical explanation of how the swingweight is maintained given a weight difference in the shaft when compared to regular DG shafts.

I don't doubt this claim, I just would like more info on how this is possible with VWT and balance points. I'm assuming the lighter the shaft the more weight is distributed towards the head side?[/quote]

Your assumption has to be correct. More weight in the lower side of the shaft as it gets lighter to maintain the balance point for 7 gram headweight increments.

Driver: Titleist 915D3
4W: Wishon 949MC
2I: Wishon 59DHY
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour (4-PW)
Wedges: 51 SM6 / 55 (J40) / 60 SM6
Putter: Rotating

[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427482676' post='11229029']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1427431274' post='11225553']
[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427430321' post='11225485']
Hi everyone. Wanted to let you know that both Jimmy Walker and Davis Love III put AMT in play this week at Valero...many others testing.
[/quote]

Nice, I have s400 tour-issue in my wedge shafts. They are great.

Does the AMT have the same characteristics or something new all together?
[/quote]

AMT is Dynamic Gold profile all the way through the set...stiff tip design to promote that classic Dynamic Gold ball flight. The major performance benefit is found in the 3 gram weight progression per shaft from long irons to short irons. That results in a sub 110-gram 3-iron that gets heavier until you get to a 130 gram Dynamic Gold PW. What players are seeing is that they can more easily get the long irons in the air. Again, not because the shaft is designed with a softer tip section, but because the weight advantage produces greater speed and lift. Given that iron shaft switches typically take a little bit longer to happen, we couldn't bemore pleased with the results in such a short window since introduction. Thanks for your interest.
[/quote]This may be asked later in the thread but what is the difference between the AMT & PRO?

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1430972341' post='11514881']
[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427482676' post='11229029']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1427431274' post='11225553']
[quote name='Chad Hall' timestamp='1427430321' post='11225485']
Hi everyone. Wanted to let you know that both Jimmy Walker and Davis Love III put AMT in play this week at Valero...many others testing.
[/quote]

Nice, I have s400 tour-issue in my wedge shafts. They are great.

Does the AMT have the same characteristics or something new all together?
[/quote]

AMT is Dynamic Gold profile all the way through the set...stiff tip design to promote that classic Dynamic Gold ball flight. The major performance benefit is found in the 3 gram weight progression per shaft from long irons to short irons. That results in a sub 110-gram 3-iron that gets heavier until you get to a 130 gram Dynamic Gold PW. What players are seeing is that they can more easily get the long irons in the air. Again, not because the shaft is designed with a softer tip section, but because the weight advantage produces greater speed and lift. Given that iron shaft switches typically take a little bit longer to happen, we couldn't bemore pleased with the results in such a short window since introduction. Thanks for your interest.
[/quote]This may be asked later in the thread but what is the difference between the AMT & PRO?
[/quote]

DG Pro has a progressive ball flight through the set. The 3 iron is designed to launch it high, with each club launching a little lower until you get to the PW (often called flighted). They are also descending weight, ie the weights decrease as you go from 3 to PW. AMT is Dynamic Gold ball flight through out the set, we are seeing a touch more spin in the long irons due to the increased club head speed from the lighter weight, but they would not be classified as flighted. The AMT is ascending mass, so the 3 iron is the lightest shaft through to the wedge which is Dynamic gold.

[quote name='jchastain' timestamp='1430958959' post='11513427']
Maybe I missed it but I'd really like a technical explanation of how the swingweight is maintained given a weight difference in the shaft when compared to regular DG shafts.

I don't doubt this claim, I just would like more info on how this is possible with VWT and balance points. I'm assuming the lighter the shaft the more weight is distributed towards the head side?
[/quote]

It is done with our VWT, we can disperse the material in such a way that we can maintain swingweight on all the lengths in spite of the ascending mass design.

Don

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='Bdmac79' timestamp='1431111466' post='11524519']
Don:

It looks like Adam Scott is indeed using the AMT - any info/confirmation of soft or hard-stepped?
[/quote]

He tested hard stepped, soft stepped and straight in. Straight in won out.

Don

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

DG Pro has a progressive ball flight through the set. The 3 iron is designed to launch it high, with each club launching a little lower until you get to the PW (often called flighted). They are also descending weight, ie the weights decrease as you go from 3 to PW. AMT is Dynamic Gold ball flight through out the set, we are seeing a touch more spin in the long irons due to the increased club head speed from the lighter weight, but they would not be classified as flighted. The AMT is ascending mass, so the 3 iron is the lightest shaft through to the wedge which is Dynamic gold.

Don,
The DG Pro has the heavier shaft as the long irons?? Wow, I understand the flighted part and love how they work in the Nike VPC but the weighting sounds odd. I might have to quit reading this thread! Doesn't make sense to me that the longer irons are heavier.

[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1431365148' post='11538806']

Don,
The DG Pro has the heavier shaft as the long irons?? Wow, I understand the flighted part and love how they work in the Nike VPC but the weighting sounds odd. I might have to quit reading this thread! Doesn't make sense to me that the longer irons are heavier.
[/quote]

Shilgy, just for a reference on the DG Pro S300...... 4 Iron 114 grams, Wedge 108 grams....weights based on cut shafts and 5 iron 37.25"

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1431367045' post='11539028']
[quote name='Shilgy' timestamp='1431365148' post='11538806']

Don,
[/quote]

Shilgy, just for a reference on the DG Pro S300...... 4 Iron 114 grams, Wedge 108 grams....weights based on cut shafts and 5 iron 37.25"
[/quote]Ok-thank you. All I know is that for me they work :wub:

Just a FYI, If anyone is interested there is a used set at my local golf store, in north dallas, that has a set of 714 AP2 with these shafts in them. s400 . They looked just about brand new. Each shaft band had the iron number marked on it with a sharpie.

Titleist TS3 D3 8.5 tensei pro white x
Titleist 917 F2 Fuji Pro 95
Titleist T MB. 3 iron
Titleist 716 AP2 4-7 MB 8-W DGTour amt issue x100
Vokey TVD 52, 56, 60 DGTour s400
Cameron X5

[quote name='progolferv1' timestamp='1431395873' post='11542088']Just a FYI, If anyone is interested there is a used set at my local golf store, in north dallas, that has a set of 714 AP2 with these shafts in them. s400 . They looked just about brand new. Each shaft band had the iron number marked on it with a sharpie.[/quote]
AMT Shafts?

[quote name='progolferv1' timestamp='1431395873' post='11542088']
Just a FYI, If anyone is interested there is a used set at my local golf store, in north dallas, that has a set of 714 AP2 with these shafts in them. s400 . They looked just about brand new. Each shaft band had the iron number marked on it with a sharpie.
[/quote]

Which store? I live in Dallas.

[quote name='progolferv1' timestamp='1431395873' post='11542088']
[/quote]

Doubt they were AMT. PROBABLY standard DG Tour Issue.

[quote name='progolferv1' timestamp='1431533692' post='11552392']
PROBABLY AMT. see pics.
[/quote]

That's crazy I hope you bought them!

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1431538681' post='11552852']
[quote name='progolferv1' timestamp='1431533692' post='11552392']
PROBABLY AMT. see pics.
[/quote]

That's crazy I hope you bought them!
[/quote]

Heck yeah, I would've knowing I could sell them on here for quite a nice price I'm sure. Recent, popular heads in great shape with a BRAND NEW Tour Only set of shafts that's seemingly all the rage right now? That's ripe.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W