2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping G30 LS Tec Driver

aussiegolferer

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tbonetw' timestamp='1435528068' post='11851218']
12/14 fairways today. One ball in the left rough and one in a fairway trap that creeeps out into the fairway and I just picked the wrong line. I have to say, I can't imagine replacing this driver anytime soon. Not that I wouldn't consider playing around with shafts, etc. But I'm not ever sure about that. This club shined above the rest on the LM, but that doesn't always translate in my experience. In this case, I feel like Calvin Peete out there LOL. And I hit this driver consistently every bit as long as my SLDR I had. Except I only hit 4 or 5 of those a round with the SLDR. I have 105-108 mph SS and I averaged over 280 today. That includes two hits off-center towards the toe that still went 260 and were in the fairway. It's just a phenomenal golf club. Different strokes for different folks, but I just don't know how anyone wouldn't benefit from owning one of these.
[/quote]

$1 for Calvin Peete ref.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='ewlegal' timestamp='1431374549' post='11539782']
[quote name='Todai' timestamp='1431360817' post='11538248']
[quote name='ewlegal' timestamp='1431331717' post='11536514']
-Too much to ignore-

I have been gaming the same driver for the past 3 years (Callaway RZR Fit 8.5 Aldila Trinity 65x) not with out trying to replace it, just have yet to justify spending $300-$500 for 5 yards more distance. I almost considered the SLDR last year, but it was just too unpredictable in direction for me. I went in again this yr and jumped on the Trackman with some tournament winnings burning a hole in my pocket. Granted I was tunnel visioned and had my eyes set on the Alpha DBD and R15.

I am a .7 handi with an average swing speed of 117 and my transition falls under the ex baseball player (compact with a fast initial move). After more than a few swings the numbers were good enough to pull the trigger on the Callaway DBD with the KURO MSI 110 x. Not having the driver and shaft in stock, they let me take the demo for the weekend for a tournament. Long story short...this shaft was not for me. Loved the feel of the head, but the shaft acted like it was completely different on course. After 3 straight hooks I never bothered with it again.

A day later I went back and canceled the DBD order and the fitter handed me the Ping G30 LST with the tour 65 x in a 9.0 head. My #'s had me VERY skeptical (117-118 swing speed, 170 ball speed, 290-300 carry and 310-330 total distance). My launch angle was on the low side so I ordered the 10.5 with the tour 65 x without question since they did not have a 10.5 in stock b/c of damage to the demo.

4 days later I received the club and I hit on a live range where large fir trees line the end of the hitting area at 275 yds. I was bouncing range balls off them 1/3 of the way up the tree. My only gripe thus far was the SOUND. Obnoxiously and Embarrassingly loud. I felt like I had finally found my new gamer, but I would have to hand out ear protection to anyone within 2 holes distance of me. I read up on wrx forums and was steered towards an idea. Instead of yarn or cotton, I cut about 1/8th of a plastic grocery bag and twisted it in the small hole of the weight port right before my first round with the club.

I hit about 8 drives on the range with it and the club sounds completely different and in perception feel has changed for the better as well. It feels even more solid at impact.

On course...this thing is scary lonnnnng. I am usually not lacking in distance off the tee, but this thing is silly. I missed a couple fairways as I became use to the club, but nothing radical. Once I honed it in, I was able to work the ball both ways, but man this thing really wants to go straight. I ended up carding a 69 and this club has a lot to do with it.

I can't say enough good things about this club now. I know honeymoon phases and psychological gimmicks, this club is FAR from it. Bottom line, if you fall into the right swing type, this club is super long if set up properly. It almost feels like cheating when you really catch one. If you take the jump, just buy some ear plugs or take the time to place some sort of material in the head to mute the sound.

Hope this helps a small bit if anyone is on the fence out there.
[/quote]

Thanks for the idea about the plastic bag. I'm guessing you didn't try the yarn method since the plastic bag worked right? I just wanted to know if the yarn gave a different feeling compared to the plastic bag. Do you happen to have a link to the thread were you saw that recommendation. Thanks.
[/quote]

I came up with the grocery bag idea on my own. But I give all credit to the cotton ball and yarn posters on here that led me to my solution. Seems odd, but I didn't have any yarn and I had an early tee time set up the next day so I thought about what I had on hand that was light, could fill a void, and provide some disruption in the internal sound. Considering how small the opening is where you have to insert material as well as having to thread the material with the weight screw, I did not want to risk damaging the threads. So once I twisted the bag into a thin rope, I used a small nail to push it inside. Once I got to the end I opened the bag up so it was a flat sheet then threaded the weight back on without trouble or resistance. the weight covers up all parts of the bag and you would never be able to tell from the outside. Also, when you take the weight out, you can just pull the bag out with it.
[/quote] I just did this too. From just bouncing a ball on the face inside I can tell it's not as aluminum bat sounding.

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

I have played a 8.5 Anser with the 'ahina 70 stiff shaft set to neutral for 3 years and really like the set up, heavier weight and feel. When my swing is on I hit mid to high baby draws with the Anser. What would you guys recommend in a G30 LS Tec set-up for me? I likely don't want to spend a lot of money on a shaft upgrade from normal Ping offerings. Is it possible to have my 'ahina shaft adjusted to fit a G30 LS Tec head?

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

[quote name='mn723' timestamp='1435573519' post='11853756']I have played a 8.5 Anser with the 'ahina 70 stiff shaft set to neutral for 3 years and really like the set up, heavier weight and feel. When my swing is on I hit mid to high baby draws with the Anser. What would you guys recommend in a G30 LS Tec set-up for me? I likely don't want to spend a lot of money on a shaft upgrade from normal Ping offerings. Is it possible to have my 'ahina shaft adjusted to fit a G30 LS Tec head?[/quote]
Just need to get a G30 tip and you'll be good to go.

AI Smoke TD Max 9* w/ AD VF 7x

AI Smoke TD 3W w/ Ventus Black 8x

Apex UW 19 w/ Denali Blue 80tx

G425 4H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

i530 5-U w/ AWT 2.0 S
CBX4 52/58

Phantom 11 LD

For those that used to play the Anser and now the g30 ls, was the forgiveness in both clubs significantly different? I'm thinking about going to a g30 ls but the anser can be bought for a decent price now with the diamana ahina.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

The G30 LS is in another league from the Anser when it comes to forgiveness. You can't even compare them. I owned an Anser and loved it. The numbers I got from it spin wise were as low as any driver I hit ever. But it's not at all a forgiving driver. That's what I love about my G30. I'm getting the numbers I got from the Anser but with a ton more forgiveness and much higher MOI. You do give up some workability with the G30. But I could care less. I hit it very straight. And I hit a little draw or a little cut when needed. But I no longer see the need to intentionally play a 10 yard hook or cut.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

I was just at the range and there was a Ping Tent set up so I decided to get fit for a driver. I have a g20 tour stiff shaft 8.5 loft. I hit three balls on the monitor and hit them as well as i can. Carry was 296, 292, 296, roll out was about 10 yards. Spin was 3500.

He gave me an LS with and Xstiff shaft set to 8 degree loft. My first swing was 316 carry, 330 total and ball speed was 168 and spin was 2600. Wow. I was shocked. I didn't hit the rest that far but averaged 10 yards carry distance further. This was with crappy nike range balls too. I was expecting little difference so this was really, really surprising. Think I may have to order it.

Question for you guys, should I try and get the spin down further. I was averaging 2700. I don't want to sacrifice much forgivness though. Thanks in advance for any advice.

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1435625140' post='11858672']
I was just at the range and there was a Ping Tent set up so I decided to get fit for a driver. I have a g20 tour stiff shaft 8.5 loft. I hit three balls on the monitor and hit them as well as i can. Carry was 296, 292, 296, roll out was about 10 yards. Spin was 3500.

He gave me an LS with and Xstiff shaft set to 8 degree loft. My first swing was 316 carry, 330 total and ball speed was 168 and spin was 2600. Wow. I was shocked. I didn't hit the rest that far but averaged 10 yards carry distance further. This was with crappy nike range balls too. I was expecting little difference so this was really, really surprising. Think I may have to order it.

Question for you guys, should I try and get the spin down further. I was averaging 2700. I don't want to sacrifice much forgivness though. Thanks in advance for any advice.
[/quote]

Why would you argue with those results?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1435629562' post='11859306']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Those carry yardages put you in the top 1% of PGA Tour players. Not sure what the issue is...

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1435625140' post='11858672']I was just at the range and there was a Ping Tent set up so I decided to get fit for a driver. I have a g20 tour stiff shaft 8.5 loft. I hit three balls on the monitor and hit them as well as i can. Carry was 296, 292, 296, roll out was about 10 yards. Spin was 3500.

Question for you guys, should I try and get the spin down further. I was averaging 2700. I don't want to sacrifice much forgivness though. Thanks in advance for any advice.[/quote]

The only advice is to get your head examined...for one reason or another...

[quote name='magnus7319' timestamp='1435632134' post='11859674']
[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1435629562' post='11859306']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Those carry yardages put you in the top 1% of PGA Tour players. Not sure what the issue is...
[/quote]dude the issue was those crappy Nike range balls, imagine if they had all been with his ProV1x

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1435633478' post='11859834']
[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1435625140' post='11858672']I was just at the range and there was a Ping Tent set up so I decided to get fit for a driver. I have a g20 tour stiff shaft 8.5 loft. I hit three balls on the monitor and hit them as well as i can. Carry was 296, 292, 296, roll out was about 10 yards. Spin was 3500.

Question for you guys, should I try and get the spin down further. I was averaging 2700. I don't want to sacrifice much forgivness though. Thanks in advance for any advice.[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey easy guys, I know nothing about club fitting and the guy suggested I was higher than optimum numbers spin wise. I'm far from complaining but didn't know if I could get even more. Wasn't trying to piss anyone off.

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1435646414' post='11860604']

Hey easy guys, I know nothing about club fitting and the guy suggested I was higher than optimum numbers spin wise. I'm far from complaining but didn't know if I could get even more. Wasn't trying to piss anyone off.
[/quote]

Do not take it as people being pissed off. Personally, I agree that there would seem to be no reason to worry given your distances and 'that you need your head examined' for being concerned but I only say that in jest (in the same manner as I am sure such phrases are uttered between you and your buddies) and also with a tad of jealousy.

I went for a fitting for one of these and I was having a bad swing day so got no reliable numbers and ended up buying the upgrade from my old driver that was damaged (ordered the Titleist 915 D3 with an Oban Devolution 6 shaft) but even though it has not arrived, I am having second thoughts and will retry the G30 LS and if I like it, will try selling the Titleist.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which shaft? I'd try the tour 65 or 80 if you didn't although I have to assume that's what they had you try.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

If you liked the shaft, just spend the extra $15 and have the head digitally lofted a degree lower. It will guarantee to lower the spin instead of playing the guessing game of picking out a shaft.

Aeroburner tour issue 9.5 Aldila NL60tx
Aeroburner mini 14* tour issue Aldila NL70tx
Jetspeed Proto 18* Aldila NL80tx
Adams LSP 16* Aldila Tour Green 85tx
Rsi 2. 5-PW Aldila RIP 115s
Vokey TVD SM5 M grind 50*, 54* and 60*
Ping Ketsch heavy

[quote name='Hathstauwk' timestamp='1435651680' post='11860718']
[/quote]

Do not take it as people being pissed off. Personally, I agree that there would seem to be no reason to worry given your distances and 'that you need your head examined' for being concerned but I only say that in jest (in the same manner as I am sure such phrases are uttered between you and your buddies) and also with a tad of jealousy.

I went for a fitting for one of these and I was having a bad swing day so got no reliable numbers and ended up buying the upgrade from my old driver that was damaged (ordered the Titleist 915 D3 with an Oban Devolution 6 shaft) but even though it has not arrived, I am having second thoughts and will retry the G30 LS and if I like it, will try selling the Titleist.
[/quote]

Thanks and one big factor I didn't mention that I guess I should have was that I live at elevation. It adds around 7-8% carry. It was more the difference between the clubs I was focused on. Cheers!

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1435664679' post='11860998']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which shaft? I'd try the tour 65 or 80 if you didn't although I have to assume that's what they had you try.
[/quote]

Yeah I liked it, it was the TFC 419 D Xstiff. I tried the 80 and didn't like it as much and the results were higher spin.

[quote name='jgripp81' timestamp='1435669621' post='11861346']
If you liked the shaft, just spend the extra $15 and have the head digitally lofted a degree lower. It will guarantee to lower the spin instead of playing the guessing game of picking out a shaft.
[/quote]

He mentioned that as an option and I think it makes the most sense to do. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1435686582' post='11863268']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks and one big factor I didn't mention that I guess I should have was that I live at elevation. It adds around 7-8% carry. It was more the difference between the clubs I was focused on. Cheers!
[/quote]

If you're at a Ping Demo day in all likelihood they had you on a GC2 which isn't going to factor in wind/elevation etc. And if you're getting 316 on a GC2 at elevation you should be seeing real world numbers around the 330 carry area. Should't be hard to determine if the numbers are lying to you next time you're out playing.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1435686926' post='11863308']
[/quote]

He mentioned that as an option and I think it makes the most sense to do. Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

Make sure you measure the loft of the club you're demoing to know what digital loft measurement to use. Preferable it's measured the same way Ping does it.

Let's say the head you hit says 9 deg on it, and based on that you order a digitially lofted 8 deg.

Ping heads are generally known to be quite a bit higher loft than what's etched on the club. That 9 deg head you hit could actually be 10, or even 11 deg, and without a accurate measurement you could find you're ordering a 3 deg difference and in that case the cure may well be worse than the 'problem'.

Just picked up a G30 LS Tec from a buddy through a trade. I assume these drivers come with some sort of users manual about the different loft settings? Does anyone know where I can download a copy of that online? A google search got me nowhere. Thanks!

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1435689011' post='11863558']
[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1435686582' post='11863268']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you're at a Ping Demo day in all likelihood they had you on a GC2 which isn't going to factor in wind/elevation etc. And if you're getting 316 on a GC2 at elevation you should be seeing real world numbers around the 330 carry area. Should't be hard to determine if the numbers are lying to you next time you're out playing.
[/quote]

That was in fact the unit they were using. I usually get one or two drives a round out past 300, sometimes up to 315/320 measured with my gps. I figured they would be able to set it up to account for elevation, thanks for the info.

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1435689287' post='11863588']
[quote name='MaybeImLeftHanded' timestamp='1435686926' post='11863308']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Make sure you measure the loft of the club you're demoing to know what digital loft measurement to use. Preferable it's measured the same way Ping does it.

Let's say the head you hit says 9 deg on it, and based on that you order a digitially lofted 8 deg.

Ping heads are generally known to be quite a bit higher loft than what's etched on the club. That 9 deg head you hit could actually be 10, or even 11 deg, and without a accurate measurement you could find you're ordering a 3 deg difference and in that case the cure may well be worse than the 'problem'.
[/quote]

Great info here, I would never have considered any of that. There's a really good club fitter in my area that fit me last time, I'll go see him and discuss. Thanks again.

[quote name='mn723' timestamp='1435691395' post='11863866']
Just picked up a G30 LS Tec from a buddy through a trade. I assume these drivers come with some sort of users manual about the different loft settings? Does anyone know where I can download a copy of that online? A google search got me nowhere. Thanks!
[/quote]

They probably do, but here's the breakdown.

There's 5 settings. The 0 is the square setting. Small Plus is +0.6º, and Big Plus is +1º. Minus are the same.

And of course, when changing, twist until you get one big click.

I too am curious on the anser to LS comparison.. Im playing an anser and love it.. I find the anser to be very forgiving ... wondering if the plus for the G30ls is just forgivness or is it longer too? I have hit oen in stock stiff shaft but couldn't get a good comparison as I need X and feel like the speeder tour spec in my anser Is far superior... ive had my eye out for a head to put a good shaft into but no luck yet..

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1435719222' post='11866822']
I too am curious on the anser to LS comparison.. Im playing an anser and love it.. I find the anser to be very forgiving ... wondering if the plus for the G30ls is just forgivness or is it longer too? I have hit oen in stock stiff shaft but couldn't get a good comparison as I need X and feel like the speeder tour spec in my anser Is far superior... ive had my eye out for a head to put a good shaft into but no luck yet..
[/quote]

On average the G30 LS should be longer. Unless you hit your Anser pretty much right out of the middle every time. I found with my Anser that slight mishits (particularly low on the face or toward the heel) would be penalized by as much as 20 yards. With my G30 LS all marginal mishits aren't mishits because they feel and respond very similar to hitting it right out of the center. Keep in mind I'm talking marginal mishits, not big ones. Big mishits are gonna suck no matter what you buy :)

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1