2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

The courses where I've had the longest rounds are usually on a busy weekend with 7-8 minute tees times, short part 4s that are nearly drivable, short par 5s that you can easily reach in two if you're a long hitter seem to be the bottlenecks.

Enforce ready golf. I see people waiting to read their line for putts until afteer their playing partner has finished putting - a huge pet peeve. Also I see people doing ridiculous stuff when sharing a cart. If the balls are 10 yards apart the one guy will wait for their buddy to hit their shot, clean their club, get back in the cart, and then drive up to their ball, spend time on choosing a club, then after their ridiculous PSR, hit their shot.

I think tee times being at least 10 minutes apart would help.

I'd also keep the rough shorter because I think a lot of time is wasted looking for balls that aren't necessarily in the woods or another hazard but just in some thick rough that might not have missed the fairway by much. I wouldn't have any drivable par 4 holes and maybe no par 5s that you can reach in two.

tour visor FTW!

now all you need to do is grow out your hair and get those philly mick winning the open championship hairtail feathers flowing.

I will legit grow my hair out for the next Cappy Cup if those are going to be a head wear option. I'm talking full on lax-bro style.

185wc6.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Played PB Dye this morning. 81 39/42. Uneventful front with 6 pars and 3 bogeys. Back started great with 3 pars and a birdie, but it went south quickly. Doubles on 14 and 16. Missed 3 footers for par on 15 and 17 and an ugly bogey on 18.

Need new shoes. 2nd time in a row with my 3 year old Lunar Commands that the sole of my heel is killing me when done. Almost feels bruised. I guess the inside is losing it cushion.

Anyone ever consider the fact the vast majority of regular golfers don't care about round speed? Good golfers or frequent golfers care, but we are honestly the minority of guys playing Saturday and Sunday.

Pretty much everyone on this thread is an above average golfer. We take less time because we do this regularly and take less shots to get it done. How long does it take you to hit a shot? Multiply that by 20ish and add to to your round time. Hit the ball in play rather often? Take the time you look for a lost ball before giving up and multiply by 5. Add that to your normal round. Know what a green is going to do before you walk up to it and don't really need to "read" the putt? Average joes don't and have to look through their putts.

These guys may get out of the house 1-2 times a month, maybe less. Maybe they want to be on the course 5 hours or don't care about getting yours in under 4. I think pace of play is more a mindset / ability ordeal than it is a shortcoming of course policies or procedures.

Not really true that they don't care. The polls say the main reason people quit golf is it takes to long and it is too expensive. An it is in that order why they quit.

Anyone ever consider the fact the vast majority of regular golfers don't care about round speed? Good golfers or frequent golfers care, but we are honestly the minority of guys playing Saturday and Sunday.

Pretty much everyone on this thread is an above average golfer. We take less time because we do this regularly and take less shots to get it done. How long does it take you to hit a shot? Multiply that by 20ish and add to to your round time. Hit the ball in play rather often? Take the time you look for a lost ball before giving up and multiply by 5. Add that to your normal round. Know what a green is going to do before you walk up to it and don't really need to "read" the putt? Average joes don't and have to look through their putts.

These guys may get out of the house 1-2 times a month, maybe less. Maybe they want to be on the course 5 hours or don't care about getting yours in under 4. I think pace of play is more a mindset / ability ordeal than it is a shortcoming of course policies or procedures.

Not really true that they don't care. The polls say the main reason people quit golf is it takes to long and it is too expensive. An it is in that order why they quit.

Show me the polls ole man.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Quick and painful update: shot 90 at Whiskey. Never hit the driver better. But managed to piss away shots on my approaches. Drove straight over the house on 18 to 175 out and managed to hit it into the water. Great course but I could use some actual game. Big time DTF now.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Quick and painful update: shot 90 at Whiskey. Never hit the driver better. But managed to piss away shots on my approaches. Drove straight over the house on 18 to 175 out and managed to hit it into the water. Great course but I could use some actual game. Big time DTF now.

The kid frosted side is happy to hear about the excellent driving! :)

The adult wheat side is saddened by what happened after. :(

Interested to hear your thoughts on hWC. You've played many different courses around the area and the country. Wonder where you'd rank it in your view.

Looking forward to the recap!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

If you're ever in the Portsmouth, NH area, the Smuttynose Brewery is one of the best facilities/tours that I've seen, really worth the trip.

Also, Ol Grundy Humper is the greatest beer name.

Dammit. Just drove through Portsmouth yesterday on the way to Maine. Doubt we'll go back the same way.

On pace of play, I'm playing Belgrade Lakes on Sunday. This is what their website says:

"To ensure that you never feel rushed and that you don’t ever have to wait for the group ahead, tee times at Belgrade Lakes Golf Club are spaced out at a luxurious 12 minutes apart."

I called today to see if I could move my Sunday tee time to Monday. Response was "we're completely booked on Monday."

Wife and kids decided to go to the pool for trivia night, so I naturally went to Jefferson, dinky little 9 hole muni. Left a 10 footer on the lip on 9 to shoot +1 (36). Didnt hit the ball well, but sank everything inside 10 feet (except at 9). And this (12* Aeroburner mini). Actually a bit uphill.

Oh, and the best part? Played with a late 20s couple. She couldn't hit the ball, but, sheesh. Cross country runner, apparently. Long, tall (5'10" ish), and lithe, and sweating through her (short) shorts, swamp-a** style. Mercy. I have no idea why that turns me on so much. There is something wrong with me.

DTF: Deschutes fresh squeezed.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Is it bad when you come home and are wondering why you haven't taken a leak all night, only to realize that you did in fact take one, in another bathroom in the house, right when you got in.

Or did you?

Toulon Palm Beach

Are you wasted?

Not really. Slight buzz + exhausted after the round. It was CPO at Whiskey, and my phone says I walked MORE THAN when I walk 18.

Toulon Palm Beach

Since I'm still awake, I'll indulge myself in a Whiskey recap.

Excellent but tough layout. Conditions were solid. I can see going low with some knowledge and hitting it in the right spots though. I'm not going to say it's my favorite course in the area, but I think it's one of the best by far, both in terms of design and conditions. If it were closer to me, I'd play it a lot more for sure. I shot 43-47, but honestly, it didn't feel that bad. My misses were in the wrong places. Definitely some brain farts too, like a few 1-chip 3-putt occurrences.

Highlights/lowlights:

• Nailed tee shot on #1, hit a wedge from 90 yards 40 feet short and 3-putted, and this set the tone for the day unfortunately.
  • Par 3 3rd, hit it into the long gunch next to one of the bunkers and took 3 to get out. The ball was perched up in the long grass and I went under the ball twice to make it drop lower into the crap. Made a solid 8 footer for triple.
  • Drove it to 60 yards from the green on 6 and airmailed the green with a pitch. Bogey.
  • Hit it to 5'10" (tape measured) on 7 only to leave the birdie putt SHORT.
  • Drove it 15 yards short of the green, chipped it to 5 feet on 8 and left the birdie putt SHORT.
  • Per Eagle's advice, took it over the tree on the right on 9 and nailed it. 200 to the green, ended up with an 8 foot birdie putt left... wait for it... SHORT.
  • Par 4 12th, which I think was the toughest hole on the course, 4-iron off the tee, 5-iron into greenside trap but up and down for par. Time for a comeback.
  • Nailed drive on 13, missed green a little right, but they cut the pin on the edge of a ridge and my chip from 15 feet ended up 30 feet below the hole. 3-putt double. Comeback stalled.
  • Per Eagle's advice, smashed drive on 14 into the 16th fairway, 90 yards to green, ho-hum 2-frutt par.
  • Dead on line on 15, spun back 10 feet. Left the putt... you guessed it... short.
  • Mucked up 16 and 17. Was exhausted by then.
  • From the blues, mashed a drive over the house on 18. 175 out, into a head wind, blocked 6-iron into the water. Drop. Hit wedge to 6 feet, missed for the bitter tasting bogey to end the round.
  • DTF consisted of 8-10% beers: Flying Dog Single Nugget, Alesmith Wee Heavy, and Bear Republic Cafe Racer 15. I needed it.

28609722386_917beb2e46_b.jpg28642125625_4e15aeea69_b.jpg

28535464332_df463f9d0f_b.jpg

28536164472_bb6facfa0f_b.jpg

28025274174_5594628d33_b.jpg

28609722456_17fca44d83_b.jpg

Toulon Palm Beach

Course looks like it is in good shape, glad it stayed dry for you. CPO can be awful there, I know.

Also glad to hear some advice paid off. Sounds like you actually played much better than your score. Eliminate that 6 on the par 3, make a few of those birdies and a couple less 3 putts and its sub-80!

Yeah, sure, that's asking for a lot, but I say if you're gonna dream, dream big.

Nice pics as usual.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Course looks like it is in good shape, glad it stayed dry for you. CPO can be awful there, I know.

Also glad to hear some advice paid off. Sounds like you actually played much better than your score. Eliminate that 6 on the par 3, make a few of those birdies and a couple less 3 putts and its sub-80!

Yeah, sure, that's asking for a lot, but I say if you're gonna dream, dream big.

Nice pics as usual.

I actually stuck to the game plan and had no real issues off the tee. However, after I realized my 3W was not cutting it on the 2 holes I used it, I dropped back to the 4-iron and that helped me par the 12th. I didn't have any real trouble when I hit driver, so I think screw the 3W or hybrid off the tee. Might be time for the Deuce-Banger or 5W to return tomorrow (back at Westfields). I hit into hazards left on 10 (with the 3W) and 17 on my approach, which really pissed me off. Total unforced errors. Like I said, it's definitely gettable, but the long grass and hazards creep up on you if you're sloppy.

Whiskey, Worthington, PoSho, Laurel Hill and Bull Run are top of my list for this area, considering both design and general conditions.

Toulon Palm Beach

Had a chance last night to do something that really blew me away. My parents work with a group of greeters at Pease AFB that greets every incoming troop flight and we got to meet a huge flight last night. They have 75 or so greeters that line up to shake the troops hands, theres music playing and plenty of food.

Some of them are transfering on to other flights but some of the kids were local. A majority of the flights come in at like 2am so the crowd was a litle bigger when its 5p on a Friday.

Pretty amazing. A lot of the kids seemed really emotional that anyone at all showed up. The terminal area at Pease is relatively small so it was pretty packed. I've worked with/around the military for over twenty years and this was one of the coolest things I've done.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Arm sun sleeves came in today. Surprisingly light and comfortable. Looking forward to trying them out at 6:50 tomorrow am.

Me and Siegel are playing our match. PQ as the walking rules official (also playing). Rando NWester as our fourth for unintentional comedic purposes.

Confidence is high that there will be an excellent "Things That Happened" post tomorrow.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Arm sun sleeves came in today. Surprisingly light and comfortable. Looking forward to trying them out at 6:50 tomorrow am.

Me and Siegel are playing our match. PQ as the walking rules official (also playing). Rando NWester as our fourth for unintentional comedic purposes.

Confidence is high that there will be an excellent "Things That Happened" post tomorrow.

Glad PQ filled my void. It's a good feeling.

Very nice round up in Rhode Island today. Nice Arthur Hills course at 6600 or so. Played with a father and son. Dad was 79 and played 6000 yards.

Started right off snap hooking one into a hazard on 1 with a 100 yard wide fairway. Dropped a 20 footer for PAR anyway.

Nice mix of 450 yard and 320 yard 2-shotters out there. 5s were all reachable with 2 good ones. Par 3s had some familiar elements if you've played Waverly. A big hump protecting a pin like the front right on Waverly 5.

There was a hole similar to BM8. Hit a smart 3 iron and had 50 yards in.

Couldnt make bird on front and finished +2. Finally broke the seal with bird on a short 4, long 2 putt par next hole, then a 2 putt birdie followed by another birdie after staying out of a mean fairway trap by an inch.

So I'm -1 with 3 to play and think "this could be the day". But bogey a long 3. Then, on a carbon copy of 16 at Blue Mash, I snap one left, hit the provisional into the long fairway bunker,flare right out of there into fescue, but sweet u&d for a 1 putt double.

Bogey finish for 75.

Got some nice pics, but need to wait for better wifi.

Nothing funny happened.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green