2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

nice round stasek!

haven't played mistwood since 2009, I think (need to get back down there).

Looking forward to White Deer Run on Monday (they've got some nice $49 deals).

They've aerated fairways and tee but not greens fortunately.

FYI, I saw that Wilmette will close Oct 2 for aerating greens, and then re-open.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Making the trek to Oak Grove tomorrow for 17 holes of great golf and the most f'd up hole in Chicago.

#11 is goofy, but the honor of most f'd up hole or holes in Chicagoland must go to Lost Marsh.

I'll nominate #4 at Sanctuary

The short par 3??? Are you thinking of #3, the short par 4? That hole is somewhat tight target golf, but nowhere near the madness of Lost Marsh.

Sorry I meant #5, the terrible par 5 with a landing zone the size of a picnic table. The landing zone for the 2nd is honestly 10 yards wide maybe? I don't know if it is "fair" or not because everyone plays it, but it's just not a well designed hole. The green is small and crowned, so it's not like it's easy to run one on there when you are blocked out.

I don't mind #3 that much. It's a little tight with no real bailout, but a long iron is all that's needed on that tee. I agree that the first 6 at Lost Marsh are about as crazy as target golf can get.

Lol. I love #5 at Sanctuary. I've had so many eagle opportunities on that hole. I love trying to thread the needle on the second shot. #3 is a b**** of a hole for me. #4 is the most boring par 3 in golf

Making the trek to Oak Grove tomorrow for 17 holes of great golf and the most f'd up hole in Chicago.

Break it down to three par 3's.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

[

Lol. I love #5 at Sanctuary. I've had so many eagle opportunities on that hole. I love trying to thread the needle on the second shot. #3 is a b**** of a hole for me. #4 is the most boring par 3 in golf

That hole is ridiculous, that hole contains one of my design pet peeves. If you hit a drive in the fairway you should be playable, the fact that if you hit it on the left half of the fairway you are totally blocked out from even a decent lay up shot is wrong. You should not have a better shot from the right of the bunkers than you do from anywhere in the fairway. With that said, if I hit a decent drive on that hole I always go for it, there's surprisingly a lot of room around the green which makes laying up pointless since the layup requires a ton of precision. Lots of good holes on that course, that hole isn't one of them.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

A very enjoyable afternoon at Twin Orchard CC playing with Jim, Shardersr, and our host. The red course is a challenging parkland layout with beautiful rolling terrain. 'Plenty of trouble off the tee makes scoring difficult if one isn't hitting it dead straight. It had a nice combination of short and long holes, and required quite a bit of thinking with the tee shots. 'Definitely one of those courses you'd have to play a few times to know where not to hit it. The course was in great shape. Bunkers were very fluffy. The greens rolled nicely, but unfortunately they were very inconsistent. Left a lot of putts short on a number of holes, and ran them way past on others. For me, that was the only downside of the round.

Ugh. Here's an important tip. Don't schedule a driver fitting in the morning when you plan on playing a round in the afternoon. Oh my. I had forgotten how tiring hitting 60+ full speed drives are. I really paid the price in the afternoon. My lower back was toast, and it showed. Mediocre day at best ballstriking. I actually thought I hit some good tee shots, but seemed to find too many fairway bunkers, and one hazard. I still managed to have quite a number of chances at saving par, but I just couldn't get a feel for the greens. 'Had a handful of good putts, including a nice 18 footer for birdie on the 17th, but otherwise it was a struggle all day to get the ball in the cup.

Oh well. It was still a great day out on the course. The light breeze helped make the temperature and humidity bearable.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I've never had an issue with #10 or #14 at Lost Marsh. #10 simply requires one to hit a fade with a driver, or poke a 3 wood out there. #14 has a generous landing area if you hit a three wood, and since it's a mid-iron to the layup area, it doesn't really matter where you put your drive. The trick to the hole is getting the right target line on the 2nd shot, as most players hit it too far left, and too far. Given that it's Z shaped, an extra 20 yards really gains you little, as you're coming into the green from the side.

I agree that #17 at Sportsman's is a joke. I was never a fan of #5 at Sanctuary.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Just finished up at Highlands of Elgin, my first trip out here. Love, love, love the layout... What a great layout. But OMFG stop with the water!!!! It was actually soggy the entire round, two plugged drives and one plugged green... in late September... with hardly any rain the last month or so... 80-90 degrees... just weird. And when you put that much water on the greens, every shot in is going to leave a crater on the green, making it bumpy and slow as hell. Sigh. Would love to play this course when it's fast and firm... Awesome layout.

And the Grumpy Goat has to be mentioned, as it's a bourbon lover's dream. Very cool place, and they list their bourbons similar to their craft beers. Very cool.

A very nice morning at Ravisloe. It's been a few years since I played it last, as they finally changed their booking policy for singles on the weekends. No significant changes other than moving the halfway house to the 10th tee box area, rather than the 11th. The course was in nice shape, although it too seems to have been overwatered. The greens were soft, and way too slow. Pace was very good, as we finished in 3:50. Nice.

Another mediocre day ballstriking. Ugh. I'm still feeling the affects of the driver fitting yesterday. 5 fairways and 9 greens. Irons were simply awful. I think I chunked 4 of them when my lower back quivered. Couldn't buy a putt, leaving nearly every one short.

OK, what happened to our great September golf with cool temps and fast greens. It's been kidnapped. I'll pay any ransom. Please bring it back soon. Lol.

This has not been my year for golf, I'm finally healthy in terms of my wrist injury, have a good weekend for golf and I caught whatever death plague has been going around. Love reading all the round reports since I can't get out myself!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Played a very enjoyable round at Shepherds this morning. Course is in great shape and the greens were excellent. Even the Cliffs of Zion behaved....The smell was barely noticeable, surprising given the heat.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Good to hear about shepherds

Could you see any remaining damage from the flooding 2 months back?

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I did a double yesterday at strawberry creek and the crook.

It was hot. Played well.

I thought crook was playing hard and fast. Lots of run out on fairways. Could tell there have been a lot of rounds out there this year.

I could easily play strawberry every day. Great course, fun and always in great shape.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Thanks for the reports guys

TM TP5x

It was hot. Played well.

I thought crook was playing hard and fast. Lots of run out on fairways. Could tell there have been a lot of rounds out there this year.

I could easily play strawberry every day. Great course, fun and always in great shape.

Can I ask how you got out on Strawberry Creek?

I was under the impression it was a private course for residents only.

I have half the course memorized just from driving by.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

It was hot. Played well.

Can I ask how you got out on Strawberry Creek?

I was under the impression it was a private course for residents only.

I have half the course memorized just from driving by.

I'm good friends with a few members out there. Usually it's just a phone call for me.

You don't have to live in the neighborhood to be a member.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Foxford Hills...5.25hr round. F this place.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Sportsman today and Thursday, also overwattered. got me thinking, do you guys think maybe they are watering the courses excessively because of the heat? 2 weeks ago Sportsman was hard as a rock and the greens were lightning quick. This week balls are practically plugging on the greens. Also noticed some wet spots around the green. Hearing that other courses are doing the same got me thinking that maybe its intentional to combat the heat?

Played Randall Oaks then Highlands of Elgin. Randall Oaks was in great shape. Firm and fairly fast. Couldn’t buy a putt and I shot 76. I ran over to Highlands of Elgin 20 minutes later to redeem my putting. Made some putts and was -2 headed to 16. Pushed my drive in the junk and ended with a 74 despite 3 penalties. Pace of play is usually slow, but we zoomed around in 3:50. Great day for golf. Probably the hottest day of the year, but I don’t mind the heat.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Another mediocre round of golf, this time at Cog #2. 5 hour round + meh driver, irons, and putter resulted in 12 pars and 6 bogeys for a rather disappointing 78. Couldn’t buy a birdie all day long. Lipped our an 8 footer on 16 and then lipped out a 4 footer on 18. Greens were lightning fast... for the Ravines.... Rollled maybe 9-10 and pretty bumpy (played in the afternoon). The approach shots were bouncing like crazy yet anything short would almost plug OR release maybe couple feet (overwatered). Very frustrating...

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Just finished up at Highlands of Elgin, my first trip out here. Love, love, love the layout... What a great layout. But OMFG stop with the water!!!! It was actually soggy the entire round, two plugged drives and one plugged green... in late September... with hardly any rain the last month or so... 80-90 degrees... just weird. And when you put that much water on the greens, every shot in is going to leave a crater on the green, making it bumpy and slow as hell. Sigh. Would love to play this course when it's fast and firm... Awesome layout.

And the Grumpy Goat has to be mentioned, as it's a bourbon lover's dream. Very cool place, and they list their bourbons similar to their craft beers. Very cool.

Don't hold your breath on playing it when it's fast and firm. They always drench that place. It's my only critique of HoE.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Sportsman today and Thursday, also overwattered. got me thinking, do you guys think maybe they are watering the courses excessively because of the heat? 2 weeks ago Sportsman was hard as a rock and the greens were lightning quick. This week balls are practically plugging on the greens. Also noticed some wet spots around the green. Hearing that other courses are doing the same got me thinking that maybe its intentional to combat the heat?

I have no agronomy background but:

I think some places are watering because weather now is so uncharacteristic for the time if the year. While most places are going to be aerating soon or have they need to keep grass alive the impacts of the process take place. If they were to aerate, top dress and then not water the impacts wouldn't carry forward.

Also I have had a beer or two tonight so I might be way off.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

It hasn’t rained much in 6 weeks and it’s record-breaking hot out. You have to water a ton or you’ll lose your grass. Gotta water the greens after an aeration to help them heal. I did have a little mud on the ball after tee shots, but nothing major. I was happy with HOE’s conditions. Greens weren’t fast, but nothing horribly slow.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'd nominate #17 at Sportsman for the list of most f'd up holes in Illinois.

Couldn't have anything to do with that big Word not allowed willow tree and pond smack dab in the fairway?

Wonder how it looked fifty years ago before that tree really matured. I don't know if the course has any old pics posted up in the clubhouse.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I'd nominate #17 at Sportsman for the list of most f'd up holes in Illinois.

Couldn't have anything to do with that big Word not allowed willow tree and pond smack dab in the fairway?

Wonder how it looked fifty years ago before that tree really matured. I don't know if the course has any old pics posted up in the clubhouse.

Even without the large tree it would be a mess of a hole. You need to hit a perfect drive to have a reasonable chance of clearing the hazard on your second shot. Otherwise you're forced to lay up with nearly 200 yards left to the green. Bah.