Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Walked 18 at Lake Bluff GC today. First time visiting, and while it's a nice layout, I wasn't overly impressed. The fairways and greens were in great shape, albeit a little wet. However, the greens were like Jekyl and Hyde. On some holes they were very slow, and others were very slick. I did like the contours of the many greens, but overall they're fairly flat. I didn't particularly care for the 17th and 18th holes. #17 pretty much takes the driver out of your hand unless you want to cut the dogleg corner over the trees. I hit a 3 wood, and still ran through the fairway. #18 is an odd finishing hole, a short dogleg. I hit 5H, and GW to the small green.I'd say they should consider swapping the nines, although the 10th hole would be a tough starting hole.

Pace of play was OK for a Father's Day weekend (4:30). We did have to wait on many shots. It sure got steamy out there, pushing 90 degrees. Thankfully my umbrella and a north wind helped cool things down.

Had a rough start, hitting 3 trees on my first 4 tee/approach shots. Luckily I still had a shot each time. The fairways seemed narrow, as I seemed to be always just off the short stuff. However, I manged to hit a season high 14 greens, so the tee shots weren't penal.

The hybrids were working again today. I really should consider adding a 6H, because the 5H has been golden. Best shot of the day was my tee shot on the par 3 13th. It was playing 165 into a moderate breeze, so I choked down an inch on my 5H, and the ball mark wound up 12 inches behind the flag, with the ball coming to rest 2 feet from the cup for an easy birdie. Frankly, I have no idea how the ball landed where it did without hitting the flag stick. On the previous hole, I also hit the 5H to within 7 feet from 175 yards, but missed the birdie putt.

Overall, I'd put Lake Bluff GC in the same category as Deerpath. 'A notch or two above Sunset Valley, and a notch below Glencoe and Wilmette. If I lived in the area, I wouldn't have a problem playing there on occasion, but it's not a destination course for those outside the area.

Turned out to be a very nice weekend. Hopefully we can dodge the t-storms in the upcoming weeks.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1434920216' post='11801928']
Walked 18 at Lake Bluff GC today. First time visiting, and while it's a nice layout, I wasn't overly impressed. The fairways and greens were in great shape, albeit a little wet. However, the greens were like Jekyl and Hyde. On some holes they were very slow, and others were very slick. I did like the contours of the many greens, but overall they're fairly flat. I didn't particularly care for the 17th and 18th holes. #17 pretty much takes the driver out of your hand unless you want to cut the dogleg corner over the trees. I hit a 3 wood, and still ran through the fairway. #18 is an odd finishing hole, a short dogleg. I hit 5H, and GW to the small green.I'd say they should consider swapping the nines, although the 10th hole would be a tough starting hole.

Pace of play was OK for a Father's Day weekend (4:30). We did have to wait on many shots. It sure got steamy out there, pushing 90 degrees. Thankfully my umbrella and a north wind helped cool things down.

Had a rough start, hitting 3 trees on my first 4 tee/approach shots. Luckily I still had a shot each time. The fairways seemed narrow, as I seemed to be always just off the short stuff. However, I manged to hit a season high 14 greens, so the tee shots weren't penal.

The hybrids were working again today. I really should consider adding a 6H, because the 5H has been golden. Best shot of the day was my tee shot on the par 3 13th. It was playing 165 into a moderate breeze, so I choked down an inch on my 5H, and the ball mark wound up 12 inches behind the flag, with the ball coming to rest 2 feet from the cup for an easy birdie. Frankly, I have no idea how the ball landed where it did without hitting the flag stick. On the previous hole, I also hit the 5H to within 7 feet from 175 yards, but missed the birdie putt.

Overall, I'd put Lake Bluff GC in the same category as Deerpath. 'A notch or two above Sunset Valley, and a notch below Glencoe and Wilmette. If I lived in the area, I wouldn't have a problem playing there on occasion, but it's not a destination course for those outside the area.

Turned out to be a very nice weekend. Hopefully we can dodge the t-storms in the upcoming weeks.
[/quote]

Good summary. I agree with 18 being an odd finishing hole. I have seen it in the past where they turn normal 18 into hole 9 during the Lake County Am and they turn normal hole 10 and 9 into 17 and 18. It makes it a little easier on the routing.

Being in the area, it is a nice track to play. the pace is usually decent and its really easy to walk.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1434976880' post='11808314']
I don't want to start a new thread in the tour talk section, but, Wayne Gretzky needs to get his money back from Janet Jone's plastic surgeon. If your too young to remember, watch The Flamingo Kid.
[/quote]

LoL, I totally noticed the cosmetic surgery and not in a good way.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1434983216' post='11809180']
[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1434976880' post='11808314']
I don't want to start a new thread in the tour talk section, but, Wayne Gretzky needs to get his money back from Janet Jone's plastic surgeon. If your too young to remember, watch The Flamingo Kid.
[/quote]

LoL, I totally noticed the cosmetic surgery and not in a good way.
[/quote]

At one point there were two "Great One's" in that household.

[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1434980087' post='11808724']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1434920216' post='11801928']

[/quote]

Good summary. I agree with 18 being an odd finishing hole. I have seen it in the past where they turn normal 18 into hole 9 during the Lake County Am and they turn normal hole 10 and 9 into 17 and 18. It makes it a little easier on the routing.

Being in the area, it is a nice track to play. the pace is usually decent and its really easy to walk.
[/quote]

I noticed that there were a lot of unrepaired divots in the fairways. The turf was rather wet, so big divots were common. I repaired all my divots, and a few others. It's sad that players don't take better care of the course.

That said, it's generally difficult for a walker to fill in a divot with sand/seed mix, as a) most walkers do not carry a sand/seed bottle, and b) most courses don't have the mix readily available. I have a bottle on my ClicGear, but I usually have to go hunting for the mix, often stealing it off an unused electric cart. If the courses want the players to maintain the course, they should put a (covered) bucket of the mix near the first teebox.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

My brother lives near West Dundee, so I'm thinking about spending the 4th of July weekend with him, and getting in 3 or 4 rounds of golf. I'm thinking about playing Redtail, Golf Club of Illinois, Whisper Creek, and Randall Oaks.

Is there a different course(s) I should consider? I've played Foxford Hills and Chalet Hills before, and I'm looking for something new.

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1435081120' post='11819598']
Have you been to Blackstone?
[/quote]

Yes, several times. 'Luv the greens.

I've played the following 105 public courses in Chicagoland, so I'm looking to add to the list:

Aldeen, Arboretum Club, Arrowhead, Balmoral Woods, Big Run, Billy Caldwell, Blackstone, Bolingbrook, Bonnie Brook, Boughton Ridge, Bowes Creek, Bridges of Poplar Creek, Broken Arrow, Burnham Woods, Cantigny, Carillon, Chalet Hills, Chick Evans, Cog Hill #1, Cog Hill #2, Cog Hill #3, Cog Hill #4, Columbus Park, Coyote Run, Deerfield, Deerpath, Eaglewood, Fox Bend, Foxford Hills, Geneva National Palmer, Geneva National Player, Geneva National Trevino, George Dunne, Glen Club, Glencoe, Gleneagles Lakes, Glenwoodie, Grand Geneva Brute, Grand Geneva Highlands, Harborside Port, Harborside Starboard, Hawks View Como Crossing, Heritage Bluffs, Highland Park, Highlands of Elgin, Hilldale, Indian Boundary, Indian Lakes, Jackson Park, Joe Louis, Kankakee Elks, Klein Creek, Lake Bluff, Lincoln Oaks, Lost Marsh, Maple Meadows, Marquette Park, Meadows, Mill Creek, Mistwood, Mount Prospect, Naperbrook, Oak Brook, Oak Grove, Oak Meadows, Old Oak, Orchard Valley, Pine Meadow, Plum Tree National, Prairie Landing, Prairie Bluff, Ravisloe, River Bend, River Oaks, Robert Black, Ruffled Feathers, Sanctuary, Schaumburg Golf Club TB Champ, Scherwood, Settlers Hill, Seven Bridges, Shepherd's Crook, Silver Lake North, Silver Lakes South, South Shore, Springbrook, St Andrews No 1, Steeple Chase, Stonewall Orchard, Sunset Valley, Sydney R Marovitz, The Brassie, The Odyssey CC, Thunderhawk, Traditions at Chevy Chase, Valley Green, Village Greens, Village Links, Waters Edge, White Deer Run, White Pines West, Willow Crest, Willow Hill, Wilmette, and Winnetka.

Ah, so you're going for new courses. Crystal Woods is a nice old school track out that direction, has some neat holes and some elevation changes you don't often see in this area. Otherwise Golf Club of IL and Whisper Creek are the only 2 you listed I've played. GCIL is a fine course, #11 is a beast. I played it in the fall when their fescue was down, would play a lot tougher in the summer with it I'd imagine. Whisper Creek is a good course as well, but it's one of those "community" style courses that was planned out with homes around it, but not as tightly lined as a Klein Creek. But 3 of the 4 par 5s take driver out of my hands with a forced layup so it loses points for me there.

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1435089497' post='11820674']
Marengo Ridge?
[/quote]

It's on my to-do list. I've been a bit hesitant, as I've heard horror stories about the pace of play.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1435084362' post='11819996']
Ah, so you're going for new courses. Crystal Woods is a nice old school track out that direction, has some neat holes and some elevation changes you don't often see in this area. Otherwise Golf Club of IL and Whisper Creek are the only 2 you listed I've played. GCIL is a fine course, #11 is a beast. I played it in the fall when their fescue was down, would play a lot tougher in the summer with it I'd imagine. Whisper Creek is a good course as well, but it's one of those "community" style courses that was planned out with homes around it, but not as tightly lined as a Klein Creek. But 3 of the 4 par 5s take driver out of my hands with a forced layup so it loses points for me there.
[/quote]

Thanks. That may be worth considering.

A friend joined Hawthorn Woods CC this year. Today I played it for the first time. Except for Bay Hill, I don't usually like Arnold Palmer courses. But, I really like HW. The greens are great. The layout has a good mix of challenging and playable hole. The course is surrounded by homes, but I've given up caring about that. If you get a chance, it's worth playing.

Willowcrest again yesterday, got another good golfnow deal and since it's 5 minutes from work it's a good option for an after work round. Overall course is in good shape, I enjoy it a bit more each time I play it but I'm not sure I'd ever pay their full rate.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1435167120' post='11826630']
Willowcrest again yesterday, got another good golfnow deal and since it's 5 minutes from work it's a good option for an after work round. Overall course is in good shape, I enjoy it a bit more each time I play it but I'm not sure I'd ever pay their full rate.
[/quote]

I agree. Each time I play it I like it a bit more. My biggest beefs are, a) no range, b) "resort" pace of play on weekends, and c) don't care much for a finishing par 3.

It's generally an after work course for us which means A and B really don't come into play, but that lack of range would bug me otherwise. C is my biggest issue with the course. 18 is a great par 3 but it's very unsatisfying ending on one. I personally think 9 is a great hole and would make a good finishing hole, they should switch the 9s.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1435198116' post='11829928']
It's generally an after work course for us which means A and B really don't come into play, but that lack of range would bug me otherwise. C is my biggest issue with the course. 18 is a great par 3 but it's very unsatisfying ending on one. I personally think 9 is a great hole and would make a good finishing hole, they should switch the 9s.
[/quote]

I agree, and hole 8 would make for a nice 17th hole finishing up the round with the water on the right. To end any round on a par 3 is always a bit of a bummer to me.

Saturday's forecast calls for 20+ mph north winds. Where do you like to play when the winds are strong? Glencoe has a decent number of trees, and runs primarily east-west.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435245360' post='11832680']
Saturday's forecast calls for 20+ mph north winds. Where do you like to play when the winds are strong? Glencoe has a decent number of trees, and runs primarily east-west.
[/quote]

Dare you to play Harborside, Highlands of Elgin, Prairie Bluff, The Sanctuary, or that dumb course off the industrial strip in the ghetto of Hammond!

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1435249768' post='11833240']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435245360' post='11832680']
[/quote]

Dare you to play Harborside, Highlands of Elgin, Prairie Bluff, The Sanctuary, or that dumb course off the industrial strip in the ghetto of Hammond!
[/quote]

Lol. Lost Marsh? I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

I've played Harborside many, many times in windy conditions. I've actually gotten quite good at it. My "favorite" round was the one I played last October in 42 degree temps, 20+ mph winds, and a steady rain. I refer to it as my "Scotland" round.

I'm playing Crane's Landing on Sunday morning for the first time. Does anyone know if the course is walking friendly, or am I going to be required to take a cart?

Thunderhawk Friday 7:00AM start. Excited to play but not looking forward to getting up so early...Haha
HoE Sunday afternoon with my usual Sunday gang, should be alot of trash talking going. Havnt played together in several weeks.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435262138' post='11834594']
I'm playing Crane's Landing on Sunday morning for the first time. Does anyone know if the course is walking friendly, or am I going to be required to take a cart?
[/quote]

Grew up nearby, but never played. Pretty sure you won't have a problem walking, its a small course. I'm sure I've seen people out there walking before.

Now what you might have a problem with is flooding. Course is next to Des Plaines river and it tends to flood when it rains a lot. But, i drove by it the other day and I didn't notice any flooding. Just be weary in case is rains a lot over the weekend.

Got a reunion for my gold medal winning Jewlympics old man hockey team this weekend in South Bend. 2 rounds scheduled at South Bend CC and then a Saturday round at the muni across the street from where we are staying cause one of our teammates is orthodox and can't ride in a car from Friday night to Saturday night.

Playing hockey before all 3 rounds so I'm expecting some terrible golf out of me, but it will be a blast either way.