Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='p4174w' timestamp='1435592790' post='11855160']
testing....is this thing on?

i've only been out twice this year :cry:
[/quote]

Yikes! I played my 40th round of the season yesterday. It's shaping up to be another great season.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435092945' post='11821102']
[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1435084362' post='11819996']
Ah, so you're going for new courses. Crystal Woods is a nice old school track out that direction, has some neat holes and some elevation changes you don't often see in this area. Otherwise Golf Club of IL and Whisper Creek are the only 2 you listed I've played. GCIL is a fine course, #11 is a beast. I played it in the fall when their fescue was down, would play a lot tougher in the summer with it I'd imagine. Whisper Creek is a good course as well, but it's one of those "community" style courses that was planned out with homes around it, but not as tightly lined as a Klein Creek. But 3 of the 4 par 5s take driver out of my hands with a forced layup so it loses points for me there.
[/quote]

Thanks. That may be worth considering.
[/quote]

I wound up booking Redtail (Fri), Golf Club of Illinois (Sat), Crystal Woods (Sat), and Randall Oaks (Sun). Whisper Creek doesn't allow singles to book online, so it'll have to wait for another day.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='Nightgolfer' timestamp='1435599906' post='11855936']Oooh, Cantigny has a military museum as well! Golf+tanks sounds like an unbeatable combination. :)
The course looks a bit pricier than some of the others you have listed, but not Dubsdread-like expensive. An indication of the golfing experience? The only US courses I have played so far are Torrey Pines, Pasatiempo, and Half Moon Bay in CA so I don't really know what to expect.[/quote]

Cantigny is very nice, but not in the same league as the others you mention.

[quote name='Nightgolfer' timestamp='1435601586' post='11856132']
Nice to hear the praise for Cantigny. Looking at making a reservation. You think I should go for Hillside/Lakeside or Lakeside/Hillside? :-)
[/quote]

you don't have a choice really, whatever they decide the 9 hole course is that day that's it. Lakeside/Woodside is the championship combo

Went out to Geneva National yesterday. Right after we teed off (1:30) the rain came. Waited at the club house for an hour and a half till it settled. Grabbed the carts and headed out, but once we got out there it started raining again. Waited about 45 min till it settled. Grabbed the carts and headed out, but once we got out there it started raining again. Lol. Me and my buddies are all goofs so we had a good time just BSing while we waited. Finally they had enough at about 4 and wanted to leave. 5 min after we left the rain ended and we stopped at bristol oaks on the way back to 94. Going back to GN to get our round in sometime over the holiday weekend. Player course is by far my favorite not only there but in our general area.

G400 LST
917F2
913H
'16 JPX EZ Forged
T7 54/58
Bettinardi Tour SS3 DASS BEE KOOL
Snell MTB Black

Nese mund te lexoni kete, me dergoni nje mezazh.

Played Erin Hills Sunday, Father's Day. Spent the afternoon at top golf this past Friday. Played an early round Saturday at some small course in Hammond, Indiana... Wicker park maybe? Nice fun little layout. Got a call late last night to join up and play Erin Hills today. Skipped work and went. Boy my wife's gonna be jealous if I play any more golf this week...

[quote name='Nightgolfer' timestamp='1435601586' post='11856132']Nice to hear the praise for Cantigny. Looking at making a reservation. You think I should go for Hillside/Lakeside or Lakeside/Hillside? :-)[/quote]

Play wood side and lake side - best combo there

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

Had a reunion over the weekend in South Bend for my Jewlympics old man hockey team. One of the guys is a member at South Bend CC so got out there twice. Played it a few times with him before. Don't know if any of you have ever had the chance to play, but if you do don't hesitate to take the 2 hour drive out there. Great course. Lots of fun. Every hole is fantastic. Wasn't expecting to play well since we were playing hockey for 2 hours prior to golf both days. I was hoping to just break 90 and that my back would hold up. ended up playing really well and shot a 83 on day 1 and then we played it as a par 72 on day 2 and i shot a 84.

Took the wife to Edgebrook after work tonight. Teed off at 5:45, had the course to ourselves and got in 18 no problem. $48 for two with a cart. I would not recommend walking there at twilight...at least in a cart you can flee from the mosquitos.

Tomorrow late afternoon tee time at Shepherd's Crook, last day to redeem free round of golf coupon. heading out there with some hockey buddies.

Then its up to Green Lake for my birthday weekend and multiple trips to Lawsonia.

[quote name='saggysag' timestamp='1435642503' post='11860508']
played bull valley in the cdga outing today . . .completely blown away! Course is a hidden gem, and definitely a top 10 in Illinois. Probably a top 5
[/quote]
Bull Valley is THE hardest golf course I have EVER played. If you played it ever day, you'd either quit or be very good.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1435635726' post='11860068']
One of the guys is a member at South Bend CC so got out there twice. Played it a few times with him before. Don't know if any of you have ever had the chance to play, but if you do don't hesitate
[/quote]

I'll second that- huge fan of South Bend CC, glad you played well.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1435673109' post='11861700']
Bull Valley looks gorgeous. I was wondering why I'd never heard of it before, then I realized it's private. :(
[/quote]

Played in an IL Open Qual there a few years back site unseen and that was a BIG mistake. Before they made the field larger, even par to a couple under would get you out at most places; however, 79 made it out at Bull Valley! What a course! Out in the sticks too

It's the end of the 2nd quarter, so I guess we could say we're at the middle of the season. How's it going so far? I can't say I've been happy with the weather and the wet conditions, but I've only been stopped a few days by the T-storms. Still, compared to the horrid Spring we had last year, I'll take this season any time.

I've been playing the best golf of my life this season. The combination of a properly fitted driver, some new fairway woods, and hybrids have really paid off. I've been working on my temperament on the course, trying to be a little more relaxed, and able to blow off bad shots, and it has helped a bit. I'm finally beginning to accept that I won't be shooting under par every round. Shocking, right? Accept a bad shot and work to avoid turning the hole into a blowup hole. I still have to work on my putting. I'm pretty darn good, but missing those make-able putts does irk one.

The weather has curtailed my local traveling a bit, but I expect I'll be hitting the road more over the next 2 months. I've played 40 rounds on 28 different courses so far. Of the 28, 18 have been first time visits. I'll be playing 4 new courses this weekend, and another 10 during a tentatively planned trip to northern Alabama in August. 'Not sure if I'll surpass my numbers from last year, but it will be close.

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1435702912' post='11865098']
I track my season in dollars received from DP4. So far this season has been a bust.
[/quote]

Lol. But I'm sure the company has been priceless.

[quote name='ReinyDays' timestamp='1435706926' post='11865494']
well i hope i can play arrowhead tomorrow. it is painful trying to find a tee time as a single golfer
[/quote]

Have you checked out: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1175617-single-friendly-courses-chicago-area/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1175617-single-friendly-courses-chicago-area/[/url]

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435690121' post='11863682']
It's the end of the 2nd quarter, so I guess we could say we're at the middle of the season. How's it going so far? I can't say I've been happy with the weather and the wet conditions, but I've only been stopped a few days by the T-storms. Still, compared to the horrid Spring we had last year, I'll take this season any time.

I've been playing the best golf of my life this season. The combination of a properly fitted driver, some new fairway woods, and hybrids have really paid off. I've been working on my temperament on the course, trying to be a little more relaxed, and able to blow off bad shots, and it has helped a bit. I'm finally beginning to accept that I won't be shooting under par every round. Shocking, right? Accept a bad shot and work to avoid turning the hole into a blowup hole. I still have to work on my putting. I'm pretty darn good, but missing those make-able putts does irk one.

The weather has curtailed my local traveling a bit, but I expect I'll be hitting the road more over the next 2 months. I've played 40 rounds on 28 different courses so far. Of the 28, 18 have been first time visits. I'll be playing 4 new courses this weekend, and another 10 during a tentatively planned trip to northern Alabama in August. 'Not sure if I'll surpass my numbers from last year, but it will be close.
[/quote]

I've played about half the amount of rounds as you and they've been pretty horrid, I'm really on the struggle bus this year. I've hit the range everyday this week and will continue through the weekend to try and work out a few things I saw on video, taking a trip with my group to Michigan next week and we've got 8 rounds scheduled so if I don't get things figure out it'll be a long week.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1435702912' post='11865098']
I track my season in dollars received from DP4. So far this season has been a bust.
[/quote]

You must not be a lawyer. :telephone:

My season has been inconsistent thus far. Started with a solid base of good early season rounds, but has faded. Had some moments where I've felt I've had it about all together but couldn't quite put up a good number, then the past 2 rounds I've put up some bad numbers. Lost the driver for one, and on the other aggravatingly didn't do any one thing wrong, something different went wrong every other hole. These past few weeks with rain I haven't been able to play much due to weather and other commitments, so I'm hoping to get a few rounds in over the coming holiday weekend.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435719197' post='11866818']
[quote name='ReinyDays' timestamp='1435706926' post='11865494']
well i hope i can play arrowhead tomorrow. it is painful trying to find a tee time as a single golfer
[/quote]

Have you checked out: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1175617-single-friendly-courses-chicago-area/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...s-chicago-area/[/url]
[/quote]

yeah i have. i usually like to try and find deals on golfnow but the courses i want to play only do them for groups of 2+. but i have been wanting to play arrowhead for awhile now so i will shell out the extra cash to play there

I've been playing the best golf of my life this season. I've been working on my temperament on the course, trying to be a little more relaxed, and able to blow off bad shots, and it has helped a bit. I'm finally beginning to accept that I won't be shooting under par every round. Shocking, right? Accept a bad shot and work to avoid turning the hole into a blowup hole. I still have to work on my putting. I'm pretty darn good, but missing those make-able putts does irk one.

[/quote]

Arg, I read this and it as as if I was looking in a mirror. Before the season started I decided my only goal was to improve my attitude. In the past I would get angry at bad shots, throw clubs, even break clubs. I decided no more of that crap. The first few weeks I had to keep reminding myself to keep my emotions in check. But, after that I found that I genuinely no longer get upset when I screw up. Now, I keep it simple and instead of focusing on the last shot I focus on the next shot. I now look at bad shots as an opportunity to make a great recovery shot. The results have been nothing short of amazing. My blow up holes are way down! I've gone several rounds without getting worse than a bogey. I've also become consistent. Last year I could shoot low 80s or in the 100s, no telling what was gonna happen. This year I have one round above 90. My last 10 rounds have been 81, 84, 83, 85,82,81,85,84,83,86. And I've never been happier and more at peace on the course. Don't get too high when I do well and never get low when I screw up. Just even keel.

Played yesterday at Shepherd's Crook in the wind. 37-44-81. Had a rough back 9, but got up and down with my trusted 60 degree wedge 5 times on the day. Had a fat tee shot from 100 yards on 16 and was 40 yards out in the fairway and chipped in for birdie with my 60. My 3rd chip in in June. Spent Sunday night practicing a quarter swing sand wedge to use from 50-70 yards and it paid off on hole 1 when I was 60 yards out and I put a SW to 4 inches for a tap in birdie. Gotta love it when practice pays off.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1435766683' post='11869444']
I've been playing the best golf of my life this season. I've been working on my temperament on the course, trying to be a little more relaxed, and able to blow off bad shots, and it has helped a bit. I'm finally beginning to accept that I won't be shooting under par every round. Shocking, right? Accept a bad shot and work to avoid turning the hole into a blowup hole. I still have to work on my putting. I'm pretty darn good, but missing those make-able putts does irk one.

[/quote]

Arg, I read this and it as as if I was looking in a mirror. Before the season started I decided my only goal was to improve my attitude. In the past I would get angry at bad shots, throw clubs, even break clubs. I decided no more of that crap. The first few weeks I had to keep reminding myself to keep my emotions in check. But, after that I found that I genuinely no longer get upset when I screw up. Now, I keep it simple and instead of focusing on the last shot I focus on the next shot. I now look at bad shots as an opportunity to make a great recovery shot. The results have been nothing short of amazing. My blow up holes are way down! I've gone several rounds without getting worse than a bogey. I've also become consistent. Last year I could shoot low 80s or in the 100s, no telling what was gonna happen. This year I have one round above 90. My last 10 rounds have been 81, 84, 83, 85,82,81,85,84,83,86. And I've never been happier and more at peace on the course. Don't get too high when I do well and never get low when I screw up. Just even keel.

Played yesterday at Shepherd's Crook in the wind. 37-44-81. Had a rough back 9, but got up and down with my trusted 60 degree wedge 5 times on the day. Had a fat tee shot from 100 yards on 16 and was 40 yards out in the fairway and chipped in for birdie with my 60. My 3rd chip in in June. Spent Sunday night practicing a quarter swing sand wedge to use from 50-70 yards and it paid off on hole 1 when I was 60 yards out and I put a SW to 4 inches for a tap in birdie. Gotta love it when practice pays off.
[/quote]

Sweet. I've been a scrambling fool this season, too. I think it makes the bad shots easier knowing that one has a good chance of saving par.

I have to admit that one of the reasons I've been a lot calmer is that pace of play has generally been good this year (other than the one round at Prairie Bluff). In the past, slow play leads to frustration, which leads to bad shots, which led to anger, yada, yada, yada. When the pace is reasonable, I don't get worked up blaming it on the slow play, and the subsequent rushing.

Also, early this year David Feherty interviewed Lou Holtz, who told a great story about getting angry on the course. Apparently he had a bad temper until his golf coach told him, "Lou, you're not good enough to get mad". I tell that to myself now when I hit a poor shot. Of course, if I hit two in a row, lol.

I still find myself getting upset when I feel I have to rush because my playing partners are slow. I'm generally a fast player, and I don't like to hold up the groups behind me. At times I'll rush a shot (with poor results) because I see the group behind us waiting. I have to tell myself that it's not my fault they're waiting.

Lastly, I get mad when I get lazy. When I play rounds using an electric cart, e.g. Harborside, I can't tell you how many times I've walked to my ball around the green with the wrong club, and rather than walk all the way back to the cart, I'll try to hit the shot with the club in hand. Grrrr. At times the speed golf can lead to poor results.

My season, much like my scoring, has been a complete bust. Not only do I play much less, my driver has abandoned me. We got out at Silver Lakes yesterday afternoon and it was a complete disaster. I'm heading to Cog right now to hit the range - playing White Eagle tomorrow morning and don't want to embarrass myself.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

[quote name='stasek' timestamp='1435787442' post='11871930']
My season, much like my scoring, has been a complete bust. Not only do I play much less, my driver has abandoned me. We got out at Silver Lakes yesterday afternoon and it was a complete disaster. I'm heading to Cog right now to hit the range - playing White Eagle tomorrow morning and don't want to embarrass myself.
[/quote]

Stan last time I scored, Reagan was president.

Be careful with that way ward driver. You never know whose house you're hitting.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1435802459' post='11873424']
[quote name='stasek' timestamp='1435787442' post='11871930']
[/quote]

Stan last time I scored, Reagan was president.

Be careful with that way ward driver. You never know whose house you're hitting.
[/quote]
I'm a little slow today - recovering from last night's after golf activities - are you trying to tell me something??? ;)

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter