Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1435981039' post='11885352']
Adam and I played Medinah #1 today which was the first time since the redesign. Awesome conditions, extremely challenging pin positions with greens rolling around 11-12 but true. PGA rough.

Adam played lights out on the front. Through 16 I didn't suck.

We both struggled on 17. We both caressed double digits.
[/quote]

Glad to hear you enjoyed that course. I've went out last year after the opening and it was great. Easy walk and it was a very enjoyable round. 17 is interesting. Did the bridge throw you off?

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1436013318' post='11886248']
Tom Doak and Renaissance Golf did an amazing job on course #1 at Medinah! Huge fan of some of the green complexes! Glad you guys had a nice day to enjoy it!
[/quote]

I thought the drainage was top notch also.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1436053290' post='11888686']
Adam and I played Medinah #1 today which was the first time since the redesign. Awesome conditions, extremely challenging pin positions with greens rolling around 11-12 but true. PGA rough.

[/quote]

Glad to hear you enjoyed that course. I've went out last year after the opening and it was great. Easy walk and it was a very enjoyable round. 17 is interesting. Did the bridge throw you off?
[/quote]
My miss is a hook and I was also getting a bit more distance from the driver so both long and left were concerns. Aimed the 3w at the right edge of the fairway which gave the biggest area to miss left. Go figure I hit it straight.

Was literally 1 foot off the fairway, the ball settled down and thought I could get an 8i across. It went downhill from there.

On the tee I considered hitting 7i, 7i, 7i and playing super conservative. Of course, in hindsight, my handicap is +1.

Hope you all had a good fourth! Spent the day downtown and then went to the Cubs game last night. Great fireworks display during the game from Bryant and then an amazing show after the game!

I overheard someone say this was the first post game fireworks display at wrigley, ever. Hopefully they have more opportunities to do it because it was fantastic!

I played my final round of the weekend at Randall Oaks. Again, a first time visit. This is a very nice course, a combination of prairie style and parkland on rolling terrain. There are enough trees to define the holes, but it still has the look of a prairie course. They had the best greens of the weekend, and was overall in great shape. I'd say this barely beat out Crystal Woods for the best course of the weekend.

Started very strong, but ran out of gas on the back nine. I started missing fairways, which was a no-no with the thick rough. I think most of you will agree that the rough has been a real bother over the past few weeks.

Best shot of the day went unrewarded. On the par 5 5th, I put my drive into the right fairway bunker near the front lip. I was able to get a gap wedge on in with one foot out of the bunker, and advance it to the 155 yard mark on the left side of the fairway. With a peninsula green, I had to carry the water, and avoid going long into the hazard behind the green. I hit a beautiful drawing 7 iron that had the flag painted. In fact, it did have the flag painted, as it hit the flagstick near its base, and ricocheted to the left 25 feet. Luckily it stayed on the green, and I two putted for a boring par. I guess I should be thankful it didn't bounce into the hazard.

Overall it was a fun trip to the far northwestern suburbs. I wouldn't have a problem recommending any of the four courses (Redtail, Golf Club of Illinois, Crystal Woods, Randall Oaks) if you're in the area. I'd say Randall Oaks is probably worthy of a trip out. It's just north of I-90 on Randall Rd, so for many it's the same distance as Bowes Creek or Highlands of Elgin.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Was too busy with the family to get golf in for most of the weekend, but book-ended the holiday with a Village Links 9 on Thursday night and a twilight 18 at Maple Meadows. Maple was actually fairly busy when I showed up around 4 or so, lots of people sneaking in one last 9 at the east 9 hole course before construction starts on it and Oak Meadows this week. Unfortunately the elimination of Oak Meadows for nearly 2 years will probably make Maple Meadows more busy and less easy for me to sneak out at twilight. Played decent both times, about expected for taking the previous 2 weeks off, driver was a little loose, a lot of shots were just loose in general but scrambled well. Yesterday I was +8 total, and +5 for 2 back to back holes where a pull hooked driver killed me. :(

Was walking from 17 green to my cart not paying much attention, when these buggers ran out about 10 feet in front of me. One turned and popped it's tail up in the full spraying pose. Don't know how I didn't get sprayed, extremely lucky.

DB67ECA0-91D9-48FB-8188-518746C99CCC.jpg

Years ago on Cog #2, I played with a guy who got sprayed. He was looking for his ball in the bushes on the left of the 13th green. He was a single that joined my threesome. We hated him as soon as we met him. He went to put his ball in the ground on the 14th tee, and one of my friends asked, "What the F___ do you think your doing?" The guy said, "Teeing off." My friend said, "Not with us." I'm crying with laughter remembering this. Being anywhere near someone who was sprayed is miserable. My eyes were burning and I was doubled over dry heaving.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1436199190' post='11896524']Another great weekend of golf up in the Green Lake area. A round at Mascoutin and two rounds at the Links of Lawsonia capped off with my first ever sub 80 round there, a 79 yesterday. 83. 83 the other two rounds, both played with my wife who really struggled out there. 79 came as a solo with no distractions.[/quote]

I thought the whole purpose of the birthday trip was about "distractions?"

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1436206253' post='11897266']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1436199190' post='11896524']Another great weekend of golf up in the Green Lake area. A round at Mascoutin and two rounds at the Links of Lawsonia capped off with my first ever sub 80 round there, a 79 yesterday. 83. 83 the other two rounds, both played with my wife who really struggled out there. 79 came as a solo with no distractions.[/quote]

I thought the whole purpose of the birthday trip was about "distractions?"
[/quote]

We got paired up with an elderly couple, they didn't think it was cool when I suggested we throw our golf cart keys into a fishbowl...

Broken Arrow Tuesday (Lockport PD Benevolent charity outing) and Blackstone on Wednesday.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1436190631' post='11895518']
Was too busy with the family to get golf in for most of the weekend, but book-ended the holiday with a Village Links 9 on Thursday night and a twilight 18 at Maple Meadows. Maple was actually fairly busy when I showed up around 4 or so, lots of people sneaking in one last 9 at the east 9 hole course before construction starts on it and Oak Meadows this week. Unfortunately the elimination of Oak Meadows for nearly 2 years will probably make Maple Meadows more busy and less easy for me to sneak out at twilight. Played decent both times, about expected for taking the previous 2 weeks off, driver was a little loose, a lot of shots were just loose in general but scrambled well. Yesterday I was +8 total, and +5 for 2 back to back holes where a pull hooked driver killed me. :(

Was walking from 17 green to my cart not paying much attention, when these buggers ran out about 10 feet in front of me. One turned and popped it's tail up in the full spraying pose. Don't know how I didn't get sprayed, extremely lucky.

[/quote]

You know this is way too easy for me to comment on, right?

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1436236458' post='11900612']
[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1436231597' post='11900084']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1436221135' post='11899050']
You know this is way too easy for me to comment on, right?
[/quote]

I'm sorry, I don't know any good skunk jokes...
[/quote]

Who is the skunk's fave rapper?
50 scent.
[/quote]

Q: Have you heard the skunk joke?
A: You don't want to; it really stinks!

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

hoping weather holds out for Friday round at Pine Meadow
i don't mind the cooler temps

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I headed up to Erin Hills. We got lucky and played the first 13 in a nice breeze which made it feel not so harsh. Then we got caught when the sky opened up and took a little bit of water. After the derecho, the humidity set in and things got a little warmer. The course was in great shape. A heads up though, the practice putting green is much slower than the other 18 on the course. I played ok. I didn't start driving well until the back side.

The golf gods were against me when it came to getting a caddy. I couldn't have had a bigger C sucker then the guy that I was paying to carry my bag for the next 4.5 hours. Not only did he inform me that 12 balls might not be enough, he proceeded to give me advice about my swing and gear. Gave phenomenal advice as to what club I should hit (each time wrong) and looked like he had way better things to do then to carry a couple of bags for the day. He even recommended moving up a tee to the other caddie within earshot of someone in the group. They have a couple forecaddies on the course and I asked if one of them could take my bag instead of this guy.

So to sum it up, the golf course was in good shape and I played ok.

WB

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1436100625' post='11890286']
[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1436053290' post='11888686']

[/quote]

[/quote]
My miss is a hook and I was also getting a bit more distance from the driver so both long and left were concerns. Aimed the 3w at the right edge of the fairway which gave the biggest area to miss left. Go figure I hit it straight.

Was literally 1 foot off the fairway, the ball settled down and thought I could get an 8i across. It went downhill from there.

On the tee I considered hitting 7i, 7i, 7i and playing super conservative. Of course, in hindsight, my handicap is +1.
[/quote]

When I played it, I had a couple cases where the ball was settled down a couple feet off the FW and it just settled. From having a decent shot at getting the ball on in reg to just punching out and dealing with Doak and his green complexes.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1436360964' post='11909120']
I headed up to Erin Hills. We got lucky and played the first 13 in a nice breeze which made it feel not so harsh. Then we got caught when the sky opened up and took a little bit of water. After the derecho, the humidity set in and things got a little warmer. The course was in great shape. A heads up though, the practice putting green is much slower than the other 18 on the course. I played ok. I didn't start driving well until the back side.

The golf gods were against me when it came to getting a caddy. I couldn't have had a bigger C sucker then the guy that I was paying to carry my bag for the next 4.5 hours. Not only did he inform me that 12 balls might not be enough, he proceeded to give me advice about my swing and gear. Gave phenomenal advice as to what club I should hit (each time wrong) and looked like he had way better things to do then to carry a couple of bags for the day. He even recommended moving up a tee to the other caddie within earshot of someone in the group. They have a couple forecaddies on the course and I asked if one of them could take my bag instead of this guy.

WB
[/quote]

I've played Erin Hills 5x now. All the caddies have been great EXCEPT one time. Your experience sounds very similar to mine. Maybe it was the same guy - older fella, on the shorter side.

[quote name='atn86' timestamp='1436369444' post='11910020']

WB
[/quote]

I've played Erin Hills 5x now. All the caddies have been great EXCEPT one time. Your experience sounds very similar to mine. Maybe it was the same guy - [b]older fella, on the shorter side[/b].
[/quote]

You are on to something.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Just got back to the mainland. Didn't play as much as planned as my buddy was quite sick. We had some of the locals in the foursome in front of us on this day at Settlers Run.

[attachment=2843986:20150703_100534.jpg]

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1436369591' post='11910040']

WB
[/quote]

I've played Erin Hills 5x now. All the caddies have been great EXCEPT one time. Your experience sounds very similar to mine. Maybe it was the same guy - [b]older fella, on the shorter side[/b].
[/quote]

You are on to something.
[/quote]

I'm not one to normally do this, but I actually wrote an email to complain about this guy. However, Erin Hills didn't do anything about it (I dunno...comp the caddy fee would have been nice). Unfortunate that he is still ruining what is otherwise a great experience.

[quote name='atn86' timestamp='1436376125' post='11910772']
[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1436369591' post='11910040']

WB
[/quote]

[/quote]

You are on to something.
[/quote]

I'm not one to normally do this, but I actually wrote an email to complain about this guy. However, Erin Hills didn't do anything about it (I dunno...comp the caddy fee would have been nice). Unfortunate that he is still ruining what is otherwise a great experience.
[/quote]

I don't normally complain but this bothered me. I just called the caddy master. Told him I didn't get an evaluation. He took out the card, wrote his name down and I just said don't bother giving any of the categories and mark 1 on a scale of 1 - 10 down the entire card. From our conversation, it sounded like this wasn't a rare occurrence.

I remembered that it was only a recommended $55 gratuity at the end of the round.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1436375077' post='11910680']
Just got back to the mainland. Didn't play as much as planned as my buddy was quite sick. We had some of the locals in the foursome in front of us on this day at Settlers Run.

[attachment=2843986:20150703_100534.jpg]
[/quote]

That's an unusually trolley. Is that a built-in seat?

My caddie experience at Erin Hills was also less than stellar. He started out by telling us it was his 10th day in a row and he was really tire. On the first green he read the putt with about 4 inches of break and I said I was playing it straight and firm. He said if it was firm, right edge, which I still didn't see. You already know the putt missed on the right edge...not a good start.

He missed the read on the second hole, too and that was the end of his green reading.

On the par 3 9th hole he handed me a 9 iron as it was playing around 150...but the wind was behind us and and it was downhill. I wanted to hit wedge and his comeback was "how many times have you played this hold?" So I hit the 9, went long and ended up on the back edge of the bunker with just about no shot.

Now, on the other hand, our caddie at Medinah on Friday was awesome. 26 year old young lady, Grateful Dead fan...8 handicap. I had her read 3 greens and she was spot on every time. She also was very positive with her support and we laughed the entire round. On a couple of the bad shots she gave me the "are you seriously that bad look" but it was totally appropriate and perfect for me. She called ridges on approaches really well. She did miss a yardage or two but I stuck with my gut.

Big hug post round as she was one of the better caddies I've been fortunate to have carry the bag.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1436387333' post='11911960']
We need more details about the hug. Was it a quick pat on the back hug or was it the kind of hug that was serious enough where you have time to reach around and drop a qualude in her gatorade?
[/quote]

So, basically, was it a Stacy Lewis hug, or one from my Aunt Ethel?